Cover Image: Jeremy's Big Role

Jeremy's Big Role

The best thing about this book is that it brings stuttering to light.  But this is a lesson book, and the story is more about the lesson than the entertainment.  It works fine for what it is, but it would not be a book I recommend over and over again.
This is a fantastic way to help children with Special Education needs or speech delays realise how to handle it in certain situations. The simple sentences are there to help for enjoyment for both children and professionals. My son loves the pictures and Jeremy in this book and discussed the picture as we were reading together. He said he wants to get his friend this book. The encouragement from the teacher in this picture book to Jeremy is phenomenal and shows positive relationships between children and adults. All in all the kindness from everyone else also has a great positive impact on Jeremy.
Books that are written to empower children with disabilities, and normalize their differences are so very important. Jeremy's Big Role written by Matthew Silvestri is written by in partnership with a tenured pediatric speech language pathologist, and a vetted resource for caregivers looking to have first conversations with young children about supporting peers with a speech disorder.

In this story Jeremy's class has decided to put on a play of The Three Little Pigs, and Jeremy wants to play the wolf. But Jeremy is nervous because he has a stutter, and doesn't want to mess up his lines, With help from his teacher, parents, and friends Jeremy gains his own pack, and the confidence to play the role.

Not only was the story and illustrations endearing, but there were also great practices in the back to help a speech disabled child gain confidence, such as never asking them to slow down, or start over, tips that I did not know and found very enlightening.

Definitely a good resource for teaching young children empathy.
4.5 Stars
Jeremy wants to be the big bad wolf in his class play, The Three Little Pigs. But he stutters at times, and that makes it hard to pronounce ‘puff’. But how can the big bad wolf not say puff? He practices until the big day. Does he do it at the end?
The book is written in partnership with a tenured pediatric speech-language pathologist to help elders and caregivers understand how to deal with stuttering in children. The last couple of pages in the book have precious information and resources for elders. Everyone stutters occasionally! Ask an introvert, and we’ll tell you how true this statement is.
The story is written in simple sentences and in big font. I love books that have a readable font size. It’s no fun squinting at the screen when reading kiddo books.
The illustrations are so adorable! Every page is vibrant and seamlessly inclusive. The pictures say it all without a word to highlight anything other than the main topic. The kids almost sparkle on the pages. Their smiles are infectious. I was smiling wide from the first page to the last.
To sum up, Jeremy's Big Role is a beautiful book with important advice for elders and a wonderful story for the kids. The lack of bullies in the book can be used to teach kids how much better school can be when they are friendly with other kids. And the illustrations, oh, yes, one of the best.
I received an ARC from NetGalley, Baker & Taylor, and Paw Prints Publishing and am voluntarily leaving a review.
A charming read for young and old that models best practice when communicating with someone who stutters. An informative last two pages provide explicit tips and clear up misconceptions as well as providing links for more information and further reading. A great book to read aloud (interactively works too) or in a small groups to help children grow their social emotional awareness and help everyone feel included.
A fabulous book about a child who stutters and how he handles it with the help of his “wolf pack”.

Jeremy is a little guy who desperately wants to play the Big Bad Wolf in an upcoming school production of “Three Little Pigs”. Because he stutters, he is initially hesitant to volunteer for the role but soon decides to go for it. His teacher, his friends and his parents are all supportive, even when Jeremy can’t utter the “Puff” of the famous “I’ll huff and I’ll puff…” line. What will happen on the big day? Read and find out. (Okay, it’s a children’s book, so you already know what will happen. But still, read it!)

This book is written in partnership with a paediatric speech language pathologist, and how it shows! The content is so positive and so practical. There’s no exaggeration, no fake sympathy, no miraculous cures. It is all about confidence and cooperation. I simply loved this honest and straightforward approach.

The pragmatic nature of the writing also means that this book isn’t only a confidence booster for kids who stutter, but also a supporting guide to those around them so that they understand how they can help such children without being either patronising or insulting.

The only issue for me was that there is no negative attitude shown. There are no jerks in Jeremy’s class who laugh at him when he stutters, there are no impatient adults who interrupt him... The content might just be a bit too good to be true. But sometimes, keeping things simple helps, so I get why the authors have skirted around the bullying that stutterers face.

At the end of the book is a note from the authors about what stuttering entails, some of the myths about this communication disorder, and tips for communication partners of all ages. This content is pure gold!

What is a great children’s picture book without great illustrations? This book doesn’t fail on that count too. Every page is so beautifully sketched and colours. The child characters are a treat with their bright eyes and chubby cheeks. More importantly, the illustrations are inclusive as well. Imagine my surprise when, on a page that mentions Jeremy practising before his parents, I saw his two moms than the more common mom and dad! And this isn’t needlessly stressed upon in the content. The line just mentions “parents” and the illustration casually shows the two women. Loved it!!!

Heartily recommended to every home, school and library. Don’t miss out on this gem that combines entertainment and information. A much-needed book, indeed. Will suit readers aged 4-8 years.

4.5 enthusiastic wolfish Awooooooo-s to this amazing little book.

My thanks to Baker & Taylor, Paw Prints Publishing, and NetGalley for the DRC of “Jeremy's Big Role”. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book.
I love the concept of this and wish there were more children's books highlighting speech impediments and other various learning disabilities.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC. All opinions are my own.
Totally recommend
*read with my service dog he listened and howled at the end with them. Totally 5 stars. Great lesson, great topics and just everything.
I love finding children's books that focus on socio-emotional topics and this one was really cute! I loved that Jeremy was given space & room to breath without being rushed or corrected about his stutter. Everyone was super supportive of him and that is really important for children to see and learn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if Jeremy has two moms. If so, I LOVED that it didn't need to be pointed out, it just was. Sometimes LGBTQ representations are thrown in your face and negate the idea that its normal. I would absolutely share this with my preschoolers.
Jeremy has a stutter but that doesn't stop him from trying to achieve his dreams. With the help of his teacher, family, and friends he builds the confidence to play his dream role without mattering if he may mess up. Everyone will be there for him when he needs them.
The illustrations alone make this delightful, but coupled with a young boy’s determination to succeed and his community’s support make this a heartwarming story of perseverance and love!
The books coming from Baker and Taylor’s new publishing press are fun, inclusive books that focus on social emotional learnings
Jeremy has a big role but is afraid of messing up. This is a book that belongs in all homes and schools. This will give courage to those who are afraid to make a mistake and allow them to no longer be afraid.
A very cute read about stuttering and how both adults and kids can help create a supportive environment. I really liked the use of the wolf and packs, and it's overall a sweet story.
Thank you Netgalley and  Paw Prints Publishing for providing me with this copy. I am grateful but my thoughts are my own.

Stuttering is a communication disorder  characterized by the disruption of fluent speech,  a person may repeat or prolong syllables,  words or phrases.

Oh I love Jeremy's Big Role so much. This short book fill me with heartwarming scenes and adorable illustration to inspiring kids to accept their condition,  keep positive and confidence. And for readers who not suffer this condition,  they can understand about how important to create a supportive enviroment and help their friends. Such a small book with strong message,  deserve to become a precious collection in each classes library.
A children’s book that incorporates stuttering as the primary theme. Jeremy would like to be in his class play as the big, bad wolf but he stutters and is concerned that he would not be able to say his lines correctly. His teacher and parents are supportive and help him prepare. The storyline connects with the idea of being part of a wolf pack and howling when help is needed. The use of this idea could help stuttering children connect with some ways to become more confident.

This book is written in connection with a pediatric speech language pathologist and includes notes in the back of the book. Of possible concern to some, the parents of Jeremy are depicted as two women. The illustrations are light and fun giving the story a happy tone. The story is best for early grades since the children in the story appear to be elementary age.

I received this book from the author/publisher free of charge, without the expectation of a positive review.
Jeremy's class is putting on a play, and he's determined to perform his part as best he can! Jeremy has a stutter which causes him to have some trouble getting a specific word out, but with the support of his teacher, friends, and family, he persists.

This book was written alongside a speech therapist, and along with the story about Jeremy, there's also a couple of pages at the end aimed at adults. It gives information on stuttering, tips on how to support children (or anyone) who has a stutter, and gives some other resources in case they are needed.

I enjoyed this children's book and think it would be beneficial to parents, teachers, and friends of a child who has a stutter. The resources are an amazing touch.

*I obtained a copy of this title via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
This book was written in partnership with a tenured pediatric speech language pathologist, so it really gives children a great guide to supporting their peers with speech issues. Not only is this a really cute story with some adorable illustrations, but its also practical and does a lot for those struggling with speech issues. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Stuttering can be a hindrance to children in social and academically situations. Jeremy's class is producing a class play of the 3 Little Pigs. Jeremy sees himself as the wolf and with the encouragement of his teacher, class mates, and family, he takes on the big role. He does stutter but his desire to play wolf is more than his fear.

What we can teach our children about Jeremy is two fold. One is having compassion on others. A good definition of compassion is to be moved by passion for the good of the others. Jeremy's support group did that for him. Whether your child has a stuttering problem or knows someone, we can learn to have courage and compassion.

A special thank you to Baker & Taylor, Paw Prints Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
It's a very short book.  30 pages. I like the concept ―sensitive and uplifting. Illustration is gorgeous! But the alignment of texts and pictures are bad (in my copy at least), which made the read disruptive (even if just 30 pages).