Cover Image: A Not So Lonely Day

A Not So Lonely Day

This was a cute book with fun illustrations, and I like the way the dad was ready to do all these fun things with his daughter. I'm glad they went the dad route as it's so easy to cop out and just assume mom would be home with her, so that was refreshing.
I was a little confused as to why, if she wasn't safe to be at school for one day, all of her friends were still fine to come over and play instead?
I feel like this book wanted to illustrate the feeling of being left out and how to cope with that, but then all her friends ended up just coming over anyway so she didn't actually have to adjust much in the end. Seems like a missed opportunity for illustrating some new skills.
Cute book, and we'd maybe check it out at the library if we were anticipating a sick day from school, otherwise I just wasn't wowed.
This is a cute little story!
Also, this is a perfect quick pick-me-up read for any kid who has to stay home because of any ailment and who is not too happy about it.
A little girl with a broken arm finds joy in things she can do and enjoy while being at home, being creative and using her imagination, and spending time with her father.
The drawings are pretty also!
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. This is my honest review.

This was a fun little story about a girl who has to stay home from school because she broke her arm and she needs to get used to doing things with her cast on. She misses her friends, but her dad works really hard to ensure that her school day feels as normal as possible. They even get a zoom call and an after school visit from her friends.

The illustrations on my phone were a bit chopped up, but mostly visible. They were bright and colorful, showing the various activities the girl and her father did throughout the day. And there were some helpful tips for helping children to talk about their feelings at the end. I don't think I'd want to read this book all the time, but reading it a few times would definitely not suck too much.

Overall I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.
This was a cute one. I think the illustrations were colorful and great for kids, very well done. I liked the simplicity of the words on the page. I also enjoyed how smoothly it was laid out. And the last bit I liked was the notice for parents at the end that talks about how the lockdowns negatively affected our children. But I did notice that there was no mention of her mother, no photos on the wall, etc. And of course all of her friends were from all over the world. I'm not sure how realistic that is, but that's okay.
I need an adult version 🥲

This is a vibrant and richly illustrated book that will help children cope with loneliness and isolation. I loved the representation and the choice to feature dad instead of mom. Reading this filled me with warmth. Having struggled during lockdown at times in the past few years, I feel like an adult version of this book might have helped me greatly.
Thank you to NetGalley, and the Publisher for the eARC! A cute story about how a girl breaks her arm and has to stay home for the day. This is a good story for children learning about social emotional development and it shows them that having different feelings is ok, and more importantly it is ok to be sad. The book shows how you can make the best of what you have as well
Thanks to Netgalley for this ARC!

This book reminds me of the days I didn't go to school but tried to follow the schedule at home because I didn't want to miss out. I'd take out my textbooks at appropriate times, tried to read the chapter, eat lunch at the lunch time, do homework at certain time frame etc. This book is not only fun but nostalgic. The story is cohesive and the art style is fun. Children will love it. And the "tips for positive emotional development" section at the end is just the cherry on top.
Super cute kids book! I loved that it promotes feelings being okay and not seen as bad. I also loved the back page that has tips for positive emotional development. The illustrations were beautiful and the story was fun.
Review of A Not So Lonely Day by Deborah November.
This lovely, illustrated children’s book tells the story of Thea, who has broken her arm and has to stay home from school for a few days. She is anxious she will miss a lot of her classes, and that her friends will forget about her. Thea’s daddy makes her day full of activities and laughter. She even gets to spend time with her friends at the end!
The book is suitable for children aged 3-5. It explains emotions in a very clear way and helps kids understand their feelings. The illustrations are very descriptive and follow the plot perfectly.
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to all children dealing with different emotions, and their parents.
First and foremost, I would love to thank NetGalley, the author, and publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this advanced copy. Such a cute book!. Recommended
Thank you NetGalley and Baker & Taylor, Paw Prints Publishing for accepting my request to read and review A Not So Lonely Day.

Author:  Deborah November
Published:  09/06/22
Genre:  Children's Fiction

This child has age-appropriate fears, and those who choose to read this are given life changing suggestions.

Missing a day of school to allow an arm cast to set invokes fears of missing an assignment, friends forgetting her, and she forgetting her friends. The book provides simple advice.

Caregivers are shown how the author perceives recreating a school day at home, while not forgetting the child has a freshly broken arm.  Hey, it didn't occur to me to count stuffed animals and draw pictures for friends.

Family time is present throughout.  I liked how the dog was scheduled into the sick day plans.

This would make a nice gift for families, and I see babysitter tips here as well.
Thea has broken her arm and can't go to school. She has three fears, of losing what her classmates learned at school, of forgetting about them and having them forget about her.
I understand her fear (it happened to me when I was little) and I really liked the way her dad tried to show her that all this wasn't going to happen.
It's a good children's book, with beautiful drawings and easy language.
This was a very nice story about a little girl that broke her arm and was worrying if her school friends would forget about her or even if her would forget them, and her father helped her make the most of her day.

This children’s book has very nice drawings and good colors, and a good story, the text is easy to follow and an older child can read alone or you can read to a small child.

Thank you NetGalley and Baker & Taylor, Paw Prints Publishing for the free ARC and this is my honest opinion.
A Not So Lonely Day is such a beaitful book. The illustrations were very simple and not overwhelming, and the story is just sweet. I love that we see a father daughter relationsip and how it teaches that it's okay not to be okay .
A Not So Lonely Day
by Deborah November
Pub Date: Sep 6, 2022
Baker & Taylor, Paw Prints Publishing
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Written in partnership with an accomplished child therapist, A Not So Lonely Day combines playful art a relatable story to explore the CASEL standards of social emotional development and the concepts of loneliness and isolation in young children.

Thea has a broken arm and must spend a few days home from school, adjusting to her cast. She does not like feeling left behind from the happenings at school, so her daddy comes up with a brilliant plan: they’ll do all the things she and her friends would normally do in the classroom, but at home! Together, Thea, Daddy, and their doggy Rosie fill their day with learning, play, a snack, and even a nap! It may not be the same as what she’s used to, but Thea’s about to discover the joy of implementing everything she’s learned from her school friends (including tidbits on their individual cultures!) right in her very own home.
    🌻🌼MY REVIEW🌻🌼
First off must say I love the
Father and daughter relationship in this book. It shows dads can do as much as mom's. Thea is so upset about having to stay at home and miss out on all the fun things at school and worried her friends would forget her. Instead of ignoring her feelings, her dad comes up with a great plan to do all the things at home that she would do at school. He was not glued to his ph all day ignoring her. Which is what u see so much of now days. He spent the whole day doing stuff with her and they both had a great time doing it. Even arranged a special surprise at the end of the book. My 5 year old totally loved it. She had me read it to her 3 times. The illustrations are colorful and wonderful. They really brought the book to life.

*****Disclosure*******
I received a free E -ARC copy of this book from netgalley prior to release. Many thanks to NetGalley ,the publisher and the author for the chance to read and review a copy of this interesting book in exchange for my honest review. I do not receive any type of compensation for reading & reviewing free books from publishers & authors. Therefore, I am under no obligation to write a positive review, only an honest one.  All opinions I have expressed are my own and that of my daughter who I read the story to. As always if you like the book you read please take the time to leave a review for the author in places like goodreads & Amazon. It does not have to be long. Just a few sentences saying you liked the book will do. Authors really appreciate every review they get !

#5star
#DeborahNovember
 #ANotSoLonelyDay #NetGalley
A little girl is lonely, devastated about the fact that she cannot go to school and be with her friends due to her recently broken arm and new cast. Her father, dad of the year in my book, knows how worried she is about missing out on something, and decides that they will do all the things she would do at school right there at home. From building pyramids with blocks, singing alphabet songs, writing and coloring with crayons, and more, the little girl has the time of her life with her dad, all right there at home. In the end, she is surprised when her friends all come together via modern technology right there on her living room screen, as well as in person, and let her know how much they miss her. The little girl realizes that her friends were with her in spirit the entire time. This one is the little one’s version of a book that teaches us that we are never truly alone, and that it is never good to let FOMO get the best of us. Perfect for the sad little ones that are heartbroken when they can’t go to school, for any reason, and a great reminder that learning is possible everywhere.
Author Deborah November is an accomplished child therapist, which makes her book a powerful  story written from an expert's perspective. A Not So Lonely Day dives into the concepts of loneliness and isolation in young children. Especially in the era of the pandemic, this is a relatable way to diswcuss these big feelings that young children may not quite understand in a way that they can explain. This book allows parents to open up a dialogue and show children how to name and discuss their feelings openly.

Thea has a broken arm and must spend a few days home from school. She misses her friends and feels lonley at home, not understanding why she can't go be with everyone and why she has to be by herself. Her dad comes up with an idea to have school at home, going through all the normal activities she would do during a day at school, but at home instead. From snacks to naps, her Dad tries to bring a sense of normalcy to a challenging time. My favorite part was how her father tried to keep that sense of routine and normalcy, which can be incredibly important to children during times of great change. I felt that was a great lesson for parents to take from the book.

This story was both entertaining and educational, which can be a tricky balance to maintain in a children’s book, and I will be suggesting it to teachers whenever possible. Incorporating social-emotional skills and topics such as this into children's picture books is a tried and true way to teach an important life skill in a way that is fun. This would be an amazing addition for classroom libraries, counselling offices and more.
In a pandemic context defined by a certain degree of desocialisation for school kids, finding ways to cope with isolation is important. In this book about a little girl homebound due to a broken bone, young readers will find a few good ideas for their emotional development. Personally, I found the illustrations too simplistic and it was a bit annoying to see the words For Review plastered all over each page.
I am always looking for new books for my niece and this one would be a perfect one for her.

I really like the illustrations and how the words have something behind them to make them easier to read.

The story was really beautiful
So cute! The 5 year old that I nanny would love this book. I appreciated the very casual diversity and representation. The tips at the end for emotional development and what grown-ups can do to help their kiddos were great.