Cover Image: The Maze

The Maze

Corey, John Corey.  Yep, all the arrogance, sarcasm, irreverance, and ego-driven decisions drive an action packed investigation into murder and corruption.  Fast moving and plenty of red herrings that really drive forward.  And yes, you may want to slap him silly more than once, and likely will yell at him to keep it in his pants - but that's all part of the fun.
I was lucky to receive a copy of The Maze by Nelson DeMille from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  I've read many books by Nelson DeMille and I have to say this book was my least favorite.  I typically always finish a book but halfway through this one, I put it down and didn't have much desire to ever pick it back up.  I will read more by this author in the future but not this one.
I was first introduced to Nelson DeMille a good many years ago when a book club I joined read THE GOLD COAST. I was immediately hooked and started looking through his back list. Though I haven't ever really caught up, I did put a dent in them.
When I picked up PLUM ISLAND and met John Corey, it was the start of an adventure. I have always loved smart aleck male characters and John sure fit the bill. Yes, he wasn't politically correct and more than a little crude, but he was smart and driven.
In this latest John Corey novel, THE MAZE, our guy really wants to take time to weigh his options after lots of personal and professional upheavals. Against his better judgment, John takes on a temporary job with a group that seem very friendly and sociable. Right away, John gets weird vibes and wonders about why a close friend and his current girlfriend pushed so hard to get him to accept this position.
THE MAZE is a great title for this compelling story. Not only is there a real maze on the company's property, but John feels he is trying to get through one with the twist and turns the case and other people create for him.
THE MAZE is a page-turner that will keep you reading when you should be doing other things, including sleep.
I look forward to more novels by Nelson DeMille and hope there will be another John Corey tale.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of The Maze by Nelson DeMille. I've been reading DeMille's books for many years, so I was excited for this new one, especially because it features the long-time character, Detective John Corey. This story opens with Corey being somewhat restless, when a former love interest, and also detective, Beth shows up. She has a job offer for him regarding a potential serial killer.  What's also interesting about this book, is that it is based around true events. The Gilgo Beach murders are still unsolved and that is what this story is about. DeMille is a wonderful writer, and while I recommend this book to you, I would urge to read his earlier works like Plum Island, The Gold Coast, Night Fall, and so many others.
The Maze by Nelson DeMille is about the main character, John Corey, is a retired NYPD Homicide Detective who has also worked with the FBI. At this point he is out of work and feeling restless while staying at his uncle's beachfront estate on Long Island, when his former lover, Detective Beth Penrose, shows up with a job suggestion: apply at a local private investigation firm called Security Solutions. Their friend, Chief Maxwell, also thinks it's a terrific idea.  John Corey has always been brash and his self deprecating humor has been something his readers enjoy. His acerbic, dry wit is legendary. Insight into his character via his internal self narrative has always been interesting and humorous. In The Maze his persona has devolved into extreme crudeness, crass vulgarity, and frequent profanity- shockingly so and not humorous at all.  In fact I found it very distracting from the overall story.  The story dragged and many times I wanted to give up on this one thinking it would get better, sadly it did not for me.  I am sure it may be something others might find entertaining.
I appreciate the detail that DeMille puts into his characters and his storytelling. John Corey is a pretty intriguing lead and I really like him as a character, even through all his flaws. The story here is gripping and funny and harsh and basically contains all the goodies that a good detective thriller should possess. Hats off to DeMille.
I am a staunch Nelson DeMille fan.  The Maze, however, was disappointing.  The inner voice of John Corey (main character), always the source of much delight for a reader, was too prominent to the point of irritation.. The plot of  The Maze held much promise, but it petered out in the end. I expected a more climactic finish to the book, but my guess is that DeMille left it open-ended with a follow-up in mind.

DeMille might also consider tweaking the Corey character or killing him altogether.  Corey strengthens the stereotype that men are fairly sex-obsessed, and this is getting long in the tooth.  I do think that any gifted author such as DeMille do not have to rely on these stereotypes to get his books to sell.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I am a staunch DeMille fan and will read his next book, notwithstanding the disappointment of The Maze.
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this title in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sadly, 2 stars was the most I could give this book - I just didn't really enjoy it.  On the positive side, it had an interesting premise that's always good for a thriller - a whole bunch of corrupt ex-cops, cops, and public officials, all either blackmailing or being blackmailed, and with plenty of heavy duty armaments and other equipment, and happy to use it.

But, on the downside, we had an incredibly tedious and annoying main character, John Corey.  Way too many snarky comments that were supposed to be clever, but that were enormously over-used and tedious.  The sexism was over the top, including constant "cute" references to women's body parts.  The egotism was absolutely unbelievable, as he repeatedly told us how he was the cleverest, toughest detective ever, and was just too awesome to ever use common sense rather than relying on his balls to guide his actions.  And, there was apparently no woman in the world who wasn't panting along after him, just insanely committed to having sex with him.

Basically, all of this made the book tedious and annoying.
Before reading The Maze, I had never read anything by  Nelson DeMille.. But I can now see why his writing is so popular. The Maze is the latest in a series of DeMille novels involving the exploits of former NYPD detective and FBI agent John Corey. And like his prior novels, this one is also set on Long Island.  DeMille's eminently readable prose is rich with dialogue, interspersed with Corey's snarky thoughts.
The premise for Corey's latest adventure is that he is now on disability, but not very disabled and, although still craving for dangerous assignments, is talked into taking a presumptively cushy job with a private security firm by  a detective who happens to be his former and soon to be current lover.  Unsolved murders, a suspicious suicide and possible corruption of pubic officials are wrapped together in a very entertaining read.  I highly recommend it.
Over the years, I have matured, as should be hoped, and I have become much more aware of acceptable social interaction.  John Corey is well aware of how he should be treating people and refuses.  While the mystery part of the story was engaging and interesting, Corey's flip commentary was not as funny as it used to be.  Reader beware.
I have read Nelson DeMilld in he past and he’s a good author. This wasn’t one of my favorites that he’s written. The plot was slow and the language inappropriate. Just couldn’t get into this book. Thank you for net galley and the publisher for an ARC of this book
The Maze is apparently book 8 in the John Corey series. I haven’t read any of the other books, so this can easily be a stand alone book.

This was an old school, hard boiled detective story and I enjoyed it. Plenty of sarcasm and politically incorrect humor. Not so much a mystery as we know who the bad guys are, the mystery is whether or not John Corey will win or will the bad guys win.

The story builds kind of slowly, but then really kicks it up a notch at the end. Even though we generally know who the bad guys are, there is enough fluidity and uncertainty in some of the characters to keep you guessing.

I will definitely read more in this series and more from this author. I received an ARC of the book.
A thrilling story from start to finish! A storytelling masterpiece that captures the reader's attention from the beginning and doesn't let go until the final twist. The characters come alive on the pages of the story, and it takes a talented storyteller to achieve this. I highly recommend this book.

Disclaimer: Thank you to NetGalley and Scribner for this review copy, I received this review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
I've read all of the previous John Corey books and enjoyed them. for some reason, I found this one to be more of a slog. To me, the many snide "sidebars" were distracting and, in the volume presented, to be too many. While this won't stop me from reading more books in the series, I can say that this one was not a favorite.
Nelson Camille has written some of my favorite books and while I've enjoyed his John Corey character in the past, this one just didn't cut it. I could not get into and didn't even want to waste my time finishing it. I think I'm done with this series but may read future books by this author. My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a galley of this book for review.
Thank you for the advance of this title. It’s been a while since I read a john Corey. I was able to put the misogyny aside for the suspense and I found the novel to be a fast read. Although the characters weren’t as likable as I’d remembered  ( John and Beth) I was glad to see them together again. Fast paced and a page turned. A bit predictable at times. Love the setting out east and the shout out to some favorite local spots.
I have always enjoyed this writer's work, and was certainly not disappointed this time. I do have to admit that the intro regarding his new love talking the hero into this adventure was getting a bit tedious, but just as I was ready to quit, the story took off and I was up til 3 AM to finish.
I was disappointed in the new Nelson DemIlle novel, "The Maze". I found it predictable, almost silly at times and not much different from the last one of his I read. I got through the first third and then skimmed the remainder because I lost interest. Hoping the next one in the series will be better.
This is the 4th 'John Corey' story that I've read (& the 8th that DeMille has written).......& while it has been a while since I've read in the series.....I don't remember the hero of the story being so caustic. While some of the humor drew a audible chuckle, more of it was not that funny at all. I just didn't feel the 'thriller' aspect of past Nelson DeMille books, which I really enjoyed......this one felt a couple steps down from his usual output....I gave 3 stars, but probably could've gone with 2.......as I actually finished 2 other books while reading this one... I was able to put the book down & opt for another. I think I wanted to like this book more than I actually did, just because of my past history of liking DeMille's works. I'd probably read the next 'John Corey' book, but if it continues in this vein ....I'll probably be done. I guess, all in all, it was ok read....but not up to normal N. DeMille standards.....in my opinion! (I did like the Acknowledgements & Author's Note at the end where he addresses the naming of his characters.)
In the interest of full disclosure, I did receive a free ARC from publisher Scribner via NetGalley, in return for reading & posting my own fair & honest review. These are my own opinions.
If you like police procedural books, then you will probably like this one. I thought it was a good sequel, but not a great standalone. I do think there were a lot of moments that were definitely not PC, so content warnings are important.