Cover Image: The Line in the Sand

The Line in the Sand

Wordless picture books are so hard to do and do right, and I think this one does it right. This is about two creatures that meet at a party and a line has been drawn. But they’re trying to get each other ‘s attention and communicate when there are no words. This story could be almost anything but it’s to me it’s about playing together and finding common interests. The artwork feels both retro and 70s but a modern take. The times where there’s the speckled background or the plain background maybe that’s meant to mean dirt or sand, I’m not quite sure. What I am sure of is it all came together in a fun story that you get to create yourself. The reader gets to tell the Story Using what they interpret from the pictures. This is something kids will love to do once given chance.
Thank you, NetGalley, for an e-ARC of The Line in the Sand by Thao Lam.
This book is a great concept, inclusion vs. segregation, but it fell short for me. Without words, the images needed to give life to this story, but didn't succeed. I liked the use of monsters to show differences in the groups, but I think children would struggle with comprehending the story.
Thank you to Owlkids and Netgalley for providing this review copy. All opinions are my own. This is a very sweet book that teaches young children how to peacefully resolve an argument. Without words, the author does a fantastic job of telling a story of monsters playing on two sides of a line at the beach. These monsters then find a line drawn between them by another monster who's been dragging a stick in the sand, but they aren't sure what to make of it. Through a series of expressive and increasingly silly illustrations, the monsters eventually learn that the line is entirely arbitrary and to get along and play all together. This book would be perfect for any social emotional learning curriculum, or for parents looking for a way to teach siblings to solve their conflicts independently. The fun expressions keep children engaged and help them see that there are many ways to tell stories. This would make a great addition to any public or school library, and a fun story time selection that children can return to again and again to find more details in the illustrations.
The Line in the Sand
by Thao Lam
Pub Date: September 13, 2022
Owlkids
Thanks to the author, publisher, and Netgalley for the ARC of this book. I am totally in love with Thao Lam.
I watched a webinar where several authors of this publisher were featured and it was delightful!!
This children's book with no words is very awesome. Our protagonists are very expressive and clearly convey the plot. What's the plot? A monster drags a stick and draws a line in the sand. What do you do when there's a line in the sand? This book shows that it's all about what you decide.
4 stars
This children's book with no words is very awesome. Our protagonists are very expressive and clearly convey the plot. What's the plot? A monster drags a stick and draws a line in the sand. What do you do when there's a line in the sand? This book shows that it's all in what you decide.
Thanks to Netgalley and Owlkids Books for a free digital copy.

I think this book is just above my comprehension. It's told only in pictures and I just cannot follow and am not sure how I would "read" this book with my child.
Lam shows the power of images and illustrations. Messages can be conveyed in powerful pictures and people can learn to understand each other without words.

Our main creature character walks down the beach while dragging a stick behind him. This leaves a long line dug into the sand behind them. There are a group of other creatures playing together and having fun, but now there is a line in their play area. A line that divides them. They spend the rest of the book inspecting the line and what it means. Can they cross the line, and if they can, should they cross it? Things escalate over this simple misunderstanding and soon it becomes an us vs. them situation where tempers flare. How to we bridge differences, communicate with others, and accept differences rather than finding ways to divide us. It also has a powerful theme of mine and ours as well as sharing.

This book can be used to teach a hundred different lessons, from solving conflict, to tolerance, to how we as a society separate people into groups, prejudices, segregation and more. It shows us to be aware of the lines we may mentally draw unintentionally, keeping us from being open and approaching someone who might be different. When we cross that line and open our eyes with empathy and compassion we realize we are not all that different after all.
An adorable wordless picture book that shows how pointless many of arguments are. The main characters begin to fight when one crosses a line drawn in the sand. Through a series of accidents and misunderstandings, the fight escalates quickly and the line in the sand is erased. The characters soon see the ridiculousness of the situation and laugh.
This was an ok picture book. It contained no words but the pictures did a good job explaining what was happening. It gave a good lesson on sharing and not dividing things up between “yours” and “mine”.
The Line in the Sand is a wordless book which gives children a chance to explore their imagination as they tell the story, No children will tell the same tale and a child's story telling may change and grow with them. A fun addition to your picture book collection.
This wonderfully illustrated “silent” children’s book by the acclaimed Thai Lam tells an amusing story of two different creatures who are very serious about the line that runs between them. Neither of them are willing to let the other cross the line, and in doing so they both miss out on out on all the fun being had on both sides.

Even without text, Lam has always had a wonderful way of telling a in depth story with just the use of his unique illustrations.

Another 4+/5

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Clavis Publishing for the opportunity to read and review this title.
This is a wordless picture book that would be good to teach many reading concepts. I would use it to teach conflict resolution, inferencing, and sequence of events. Wordless picture books have more details in them for the reader to understand them.
A simple wordless story about how to get along even when we might not agree. Learning to laugh at our selves and love those around us. Short and Sweet.
This story is filled with bright attention grabbing images! Stories without words are a great way to allow children to make a story their own and to grab their own creativity. Will definitely be including this in my classroom as a starting point to discuss conflict resolution.
#TheLineintheSand #NetGalley
This wordless picture book dives into the classic idea of misunderstanding. While playing at the beach, someone draws a line in the sand. Two friends decide each should not cross the line that has been drawn, but in reality each challenges the thought. After quite a ruckus, an understanding between the two friends occurs. What might that be? A terrific story to share!
This wordless picture book explores tensions and misunderstandings when a monster dragging a stick draws a line in the sand that others wonder about. Is it meant to be crossed? Can it be incorporated into a game? It really made me wonder about what perspectives people take when they don’t know the full meaning behind something. This book is sure to start conversations diverging into many areas of the social-emotional experience. I read this via NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher.
Haha who knew a line in the sand could cause so much chaos?!

I liked that it was a wordless book. These are great conversation starters for teachers and parents to get children to think critically and ask questions..

I followed the story but a few parts weren't really clear. I think the book could benefit from more detail on a few of drawings, for clarity and keeping attention.

A cute story that is sure to get a laugh or two!
Thank you, NetGalley for access to the ARC.

A wordless picture book in a graphic novel format.  A monster drags a stick as it walks along the sand and through a group of playing monsters.  Only two of the monsters, I'll call them Green and Orange, notice the line and assume that it is a line of division that neither should cross.  A scuffle ensues between them while the others continue to play, seemingly unaware of the line.  Meanwhile, the monster with the stick continues to crisscross through the group, creating more lines.  When Green and Orange finally notice the additional lines, they laugh at their silly misunderstanding and return to playing.  Now, the group at large is aware of the lines, and uses them, not for division, but imaginative play.  The line in the sand is both literal and figurative.  It reflects on boundaries found in the larger society; specifically, who, why, and how larger socio-political lines are drawn and enforced.

Lam uses the graphic novel format to great effect.  The full-page panel at the beginning depicts an inclusive group of monsters playing alongside each other in harmony.  As the argument ensues, the panels become smaller.  Many are tight shots of Green and Orange's behavior which focus the reader's attention on the conflict.  When the panels pan out enough to capture a few of the other monsters, they seem unaware or uninterested in the arbitrary dispute.  A few well-placed action scenes are presented in a series of small panels, changing the pace of the story and the reading.  The return to larger panels after the conflict resolution allows all the monsters to be together again, an inclusive group playing alongside each other in harmony again.
Thank you to NetGalley and Owlkids Books for the ARC copy of this picture book.

The Line in the Sand is the perfect picture book to help children understand complex issues of friendship, decision making, conflict resolution and misunderstandings. The wordless nature of this picture book allows children to express these ideas in their own words and I could see it being extremely useful in household or classroom discussions of the ways in which we treat those around us, and how easy it is for us to feel upset or frustrated by something that at the end of the day, has very little consequence.

The illustrations are not only beautiful, but expressive and fun. The simple yet bright illustrations of the monsters in this book easily grab the attention of the reader and encourage a focus on movement and action which propels the story forward.

I'm looking forward to using this book for story time at my library!
The illustrations were colorful and fun. You can  figure out what's going on by looking at the characters actions and expressions. Simple and entertaining.Was a hit with both the younger and older kids.