Cover Image: Golden Gold

Golden Gold

I wasn’t sure what I was expecting going in to this. Nonetheless, it peaked my interest from very early on. The pace was great. However, this volume ended rather abruptly, like finishing in the middle of a sentence. I am interested to see the chaise that ensues in future volumes
I know the cover already looks a bit creepy but I did not expect such a story.
The story is set on the Neijima island where Hayasaka lives. One day she founds a doll on the beach and cleans it but it turns out, it’s a god of fortune. The story is really intriguing. You can feel something bad is going to happen, but at the same time, nothing bad is happening so it is a really strange feeling. In my opinion, it doesn’t qualify as horror, at least not yet, but there is definitely something creepy about this story and this god of fortune. I really want to know what happens next.
I recommend to people looking for a read that is going to stay in their minds for days
3/5
This is an interesting title. I'm unsure whether or not to call it a horror, because while nothing outright terrible has happened to any one. There is an unease to that little fortune god as you read. This first volume is mostly setup, but the pieces are still solid. Small island community comes across a fortune god and he has blessed the family that found him, but I get the feeling this is going to be a "be careful what you wish for." sort of series..
Oh boy... that was a trip. How can I explain the unease I got while reading this ? It's not creepy, or horrific, it's just... a  story of tradition, grief, greed and hope., wonderful paced, infused wiith mystery and suspense. But the creepy old baby scares me so much u_u.
This first volume is the start of what seems to be an incredibly confusing and eerie story, but one I am invested in already (pun intended!). The art style is very detailed and the story is very creepy in a good way where something just feels ... off. And you know it does. But you can't explain what exactly is causing the feeling or have any idea of the trajectory of the story, which I love.

I am going to continue this one because I think it's going to be one of those weird and interesting gems you find sometimes in manga. Not what I expected *at all*!

<i>I received a complimentary copy of this volume from Kodansha via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, which I leave voluntarily.</i>
Rating: 2.13 leaves out of 5
-Characters: 2/5
-Cover: 2/5
-Story: 2.5/5
-Writing: 3/5
Genre: seinen
Type: Manga
Worth?: eh

First want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this in exchange for an honest review. The summary is the best part of the book. The art wasn't the best but hot damn was it creepy. The story didn't capture my attention like I'd hope. It might for others though. It did give a strong feel of Junji Ito's work. So if you like his work you might wanna try your luck with this one, even if it wasn't my cup of tea!
The synopsis for this intrigued me but as I started to read this I wasn’t really vibing with it.

The art’s great and really fits the creepy aesthetic this volume has going on, I was intrigued as well and the volume overall has a creeping sense of something being off that builds up but it’s just not my cup of tea!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this e-copy.

This first volume of Golden Gold starts out with our main protagonist Hayasaka Ruka being viewed as a judgmental girl for how she looks, disliked by a few unnamed characters for how she seemingly acts. While she's currently dealing with the future move of her childhood friend and crush to a different city, Ruka comes off as a little judgmental but nothing too out of the normal for a girl her age who's frustrated. I find her to be an interesting main character because of these qualities we see of her; she's neither too nice or outright the worst. She has her own way that she goes about life and middle school.

But when she comes across this weird little statue, and after cleaning it takes it to a shrine where she worships it and it eventually comes to life to more or less haunt her and her grandmother, things become... very peculiar in this little island of theirs. And while everyone thinks this little god of fortune is your average middle-aged man, Ruka and non-islanders around see what he really looks like. With the eeriness of this, it leaves the feeling of both curiosity and dread in the pit of my stomach for what will happen next.
I'm not going to lie, this was a creepy read. I'm not sure if this is just a paranormal one or if it will progress to a horror one, but I can tell the manga is building carefully for that arc and at a good pace.

I'd say I enjoyed it and was also compelled; I'm excited to see where this manga goes.
I loved this manga! Creepy, eerie, weird! It is filled with that heavy sense of foreboding even though the creature? god? cryptid? is almost cute in its tiny pitter pattering across Nejima island. It is definitely a strong entry to the horror manga genre, and I eagerly await the next volumes. I can already imagine this turning into a really cool anime! Thanks to the publishers for the review copy.
This was really creepy one, the art style was great but storyline bit messy and but however it's was good read, from first page to last it's will make you page turn very fast and main character is really nice young girl, I liked her character
Firstly, I was kindly given access to this copy for review by netgalley and Kodansha and as always my review is left voluntarily and is completely honest.

The synopsis of Golden Gold is Welcome to Neijima island—home to a girl who hopes to keep her friend from moving away; destination of an author hoping to be inspired for her next book; and above all, sacred land to a “god of fortune”—but will that god really bring what the people around it want? When I learned this was by the author of Kokkoku I knew or rather hoped this would be good. I was not disappointed
I want to start by saying this manga is quirky and creepy but I adore it.

The illustrations by Horio suit the manga perfectly, unsurprising since it was done by the author, and genre well. The lettering is also perfectly done in this translation helping the story flow. The story itself has me hooked, I cannot wait and hope that volume two will be coming out soon so we can find out more of the mystery. These are the kind of stories I love, creepy and unsettling aided as mentioned by the art. It is bizarre but keeps you hooked.

As someone who likes creepy and unsettling manga I adored this. The story progresses well and keeps you engaged throughout. I really do hope we get a translation for volume 2 soon because I am not sure how long I can wait to find out what happens next.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars.
Oh that was creepy! Really from the first page, you know that this story won't end well. It's unsettling and odd but at the same time so gripping, you can't stop reading because you just want to know what will happen to these people.
It is also a lesson to never pick up any strange thing you might find by the seashore or anywhere in general just put it down and run.
This book is very unsettling. It does a great job of just slowly building up the mystery and the tension. It worked well to get me interested in what this entity is, how it works and what it wants. I really appreciated how logically the kids’ response was to this supernatural entity and how scientifically they worked to try to figure out how it operated. That ending sent shivers down my spine.
I really enjoyed this! A girl finds a statue that ends up being more than she, or anyone else, expected. I'd like to find out more about how this story pans out!
Golden Gold is a very strange story : Hayasaka finds an old statue by the seashore. Bringing it home, she cleans it the best she can, but not knowing what to do about it, she leaves it in a temple. Shortly after, a strange creature appears and follows the teenage girl everywhere. Nobody knows who or what it is, but one thing is sure : it seems to bring good luck to the inhabitants of the house.

If you love creepy stories, this one is perfect for you. A very strange atmosphere follows the reader as we discover the little island where the heroine lives. You can only access it by boat, and it is rare for tourists to venture in the isolated part of Japan. Old beliefs and legends blend in the narrative. I couldn’t let go of this manga. It is well written. There is a lot of suspense and the author reveals very little about the story, revealing very slowly the information. I cannot wait to read the next volume and discover the strange creature’s motivations. No doubt they are not good …
Absolutely bizarre and a little creepy! I had no idea what to expect from this, especially when it started off so strangely - plus the cast of characters is pretty diverse. Still, I'm very intrigued by the mystery of it all, and I wonder what's going to happen next.

Definitely an original, spooky sort of manga.
Golden Gold is super creepy! I really enjoyed it and how the creepiness is somehow invisible and you're scared even though you don't know why. The story takes place in Neijima Island, where Ruka lives. She has a crush on a boy and her grandma has a store. Ruka ends up finding a weird doll-like figurine from the sea and suddenly the creature comes alive after she put it in a shrine. It keeps following her and she thinks it could be a god of fortune. Only those not born on the island see it as it is, all the others see it as an old man. Somehow the weird creature starts to develop the island to its liking. The whole thing is so interesting and the story combines horror with a Japanese country life so well. This makes the setting extra creepy and I don't know where this is going, but I think I need to find out. Although I'm scared.

The art looks nice. The backgrounds are amazing and detailed, but the faces look a bit odd at times. I love how the characters have facial expressions and the liveliness is the best part surely. The slight wonkiness works out well though, as it adds to the creepiness. This series is surely something else and thus refreshing by every standard!
what is this?? like this girl finds this totem that is a god but the people on the island see it as a person? and people start to get rich but also crazily obsessed with money and rich, probably a social commentary on society but is so weird and slow that did not shine between the other mangas i read.
Creepy, bizarre and leaves you with more questions than answers. I was hoping for a horror manga but nothing much happens here and it's not scary at all. I wanted to know so much more about the figurine as there's definitely more than meets the eye. Overall, this is a promising story but not really worth bothering with until you have the entire series out.