Cover Image: Healing Hazel

Healing Hazel

Another great book in this series! This one took quite a turn from the others- taking place primarily in Spain in the middle of a war zone. Although the romance felt a tiny bit rushed, and I felt the characters could have been fleshed out a little more, I still really enjoyed it. I always appreciate historical fiction with a unique setting and plot- this story delivers that. The story took a few unexpected turns, which I appreciated. I love the camaraderie of the friends in this series. I liked the author's note- I appreciate seeing women build each other up in books, not there as a plot device or to tear each other down.
Jennifer Moore created a story of strength, of finding your independence, and realizing what’s worth fighting for.

Her imagery had the ability to make things at once heavy and then light. I felt the tension, thought I was in the hospital and could practically smell the dank place they were held in. I was fully drawn into every aspect of this story.

Her characters are strong and she writes with beautiful emotion. Hazel’s struggles were both real and relatable. I loved this book and thought it was the perfect addition to the Blue Orchid Society Series.
The Blue Orchid Society has truly been a wonderful series so far and Healing Hazel has added so sweetly to it. This circle of friends are beautiful, talented, and caring women.

I was pleased that this third book was about Hazel. She is a quiet, sweet, and unassuming young lady whose dream was to become a nurse. Hazel had panic attacks that thwarted her from finishing her nursing studies. Her trip to Spain to visit her father brings many changes to her life.

It was very interesting to have most of the story take place in Spain in 1873 during the Spanish Civil War. A train accident brings Hazel to a Red Cross Hospital where she has the chance to practice the skills of nursing. One thing stands in her way, American doctor Jim Jackson. He does not come off as the kindest nor friendliest person. He also is hesitant to allow Hazel to help in the hospital. I became frustrated at times with the Dr. being so harsh but soon Hazel gets the chance to prove herself to him and she gains his respect.

This book has war action but nothing explicit. A sweet romance is developed slowly between Jim and Hazel and another couple surprisingly. The author studied her history well of the Spanish Civil War and the medical procedures of the time. Also, character development is such a strong part of every story that Moore has written. Even though this book does well as a stand-alone, you must read the first two books to get the full charm of the Blue Orchid Society and the close-knit women who are fiercely loyal and supportive of each other.
Loved this book! I was engaged the whole time. From the beginning I was intrigued and anxious to learn Hazels story. I loved the characters and the story. I loved that the challenges throughout weren’t so insurmountable or all consuming. It’s such a sweet story!
Hazel is forced to believe in herself and her own abilities. A lesson I think we all need from time to time.
Dr. Jim Jackson is driven by his dedication to his work. He is forced to take a step back and consider what he truly wants.
This is the third book in The Blue Orchid Society. However, you’re just fine reading it alone if you get a chance to read it before the others.
Beautiful! Her books never disappoint. I obviously judge books by covers, and this one was an absolute gem! The cover is great and the story is even better! It had a great plot and it sucked me in from the beginning! Just so well done!
A group of supportive and unique friends who are loyal to each other is the central theme to this series and I love it. I love the camaraderie and the way each woman has each other's back. I love reading each individual story and learning in depth about them.

This story is distinctive from the others in that it doesn't take place in England and the reader doesn't see much of the other woman. However, it was one of my favorites. It takes place in Spain, in the Basque area, during a war and watching Hazel come into herself and shine in her element was a big treat. Hazel's greatest desire is to be a nurse, but a mental health issue (panic attacks and PTSD) prevent her from finishing her course. As she is thrust into a situation that allows her to use her skills and continue to learn, her perseverance and kind, gentle nature becomes very apparent. I loved Hazel and how her strength outshines her weaknesses.

Jim is an American doctor with the Red Cross and his immediate assumptions were concerning and misconstrued, but he was very likable. The way he was able to connect with his work, coworkers, and especially Hazel was very endearing.

Jennifer Moore always writes such well-researched stories that are not only heartwarming, but also educational, with an element of swoon. I really loved this installment of The Blue Orchid Society.

Content: mild romance; mild+ descriptions of wartime violence/injuries/death

*I received a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are my own and were voluntarily given.*
Five stars! Action, strong but flawed characters, swoon worthy romance, and the perfect ending. I loved it.
This is book 3 in the Blue Orchid Society series, but it’s really like book 4 since there’s also a prequel. It can be read alone.
Hazel Thornton is kind and compassionate and wants to be a nurse, but her panic attacks got in the way of her training. While traveling to the Canary Islands to be with her father for Christmas there is an accident, so she uses her nursing skills to care for the injured. Dr. Jim Jackson is angry and doesn’t want Hazel to assist, but Dr. Claude Laurent is kind and realizes she’s helpful. I didn't want to put it down. Thanks to Covenant Communications and NetGalley for a temporary digital copy to use for my review.
I love this series. I love that at its heart it is about a group of women encouraging each other to fulfill their dreams and supporting each other in all they do.

I loved Hazel's story. I loved the play on the title- Hazel learns more about healing in her work and training as a nurse. But she also finds a degree of healing. Hazel lives with panic attacks that stem from events from her childhood in India. She finds strength to work as a nurse as she learns to trust herself and trust that she can breathe through these attacks. I admire her strength. Panic attacks are frightening (I have had one major one and a few minor ones). I love her courage.

Jim is an American doctor working for the Red Cross in Spain. He worked as a medic during the Civil War. He watched his brother die in Gettysburg. His work to save lives is almost his penance for not saving his brother. He also lives with some PTSD from his time at war. He recognizes Hazel's strength and patiently teaches her and guides her as a nurse.

Together Hazel and Jim find love and trust and home. I loved their story.

I loved learning about the Carlist wars. Moore has a gift for writing about war and setting her stories in times of war. Healing Hazel is a testament to her gift.
Hazel has a dream - to be a nurse. Hazel also has a problem. She suffers from panic attacks whenever she's in an enclosed room - with lots of people. Too close quarters. The thing is, Hazel really wants to help people! Enter an accident. And an opportunity. And Dr. Jim Jackson.

I think this might be favorite of the series so far. The first part was rather shocking in it's description of some of the trauma. I happen to be a little squeamish in that area, so it could just be me. :) BUT I wouldn't have changed it because it made it real. I understood better in part what the amazing nurses and doctors face in their chosen profession. I wasn't aware of the history of Spain during this time, so it was also interesting to learn more about that.

I loved how Hazel faced her fears. Her determination was so admirable. Also, Dr. Jim. He had a lot of growth and his own feelings that needed to be sorted.

My only complaint was the ending. It was more abrupt than I wanted! I needed just a little more time with Hazel and Jim!

Thanks to Netgalley for an eARC.
Book review: Healing Hazel by Jennifer Moore
This is one of my favorite series! I love these women who are all driven, caring and intelligent. I love that their friendship pushes each one to be the best they can be. Hazel’s story was such an adventure. I love the light shed on panic attacks and PTSD and how it was potentially handled back then. I loved watching her bravery in light of everything. I also appreciated that Jim was able to get past his initial judgment and see her for the wonderful lady she is. I appreciate how their love started as respect and even a sort of friendship before becoming more. This was such a captivating story!
My review: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Content: talk of war and past traumas
3.5 stars, rounded up. I've really enjoyed this series and was very much looking forward to Hazel's story, particularly how the author would handle Hazel's panic attacks. While I felt like this was well done, I felt like bits and pieces of Hazel's history were glossed over and the romance wasn't as swoony as I'd hoped for.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my complimentary copy of this book. All opinions here are my own.
I was surprised with the storyline of this book. The blue orchid society is located in London, but this book quickly found us traveling with Hazel Thornton to the Canary Islands. She is planning on spending time with her father for Christmas. A crazy turn of events throws Hazel and her companion Nella Westbrook, in a war zone and injured in a train accident. The story revolves around this war zone and the international Red Cross. Having read other blue orchid society, we know Hazel has had a desire to become a nurse, but she has some debilitating panic attacks. Dr. Jim Jackson has worked for the international Red Cross for a number of years, he thinks this mettlesome young woman, is just getting in his way and distracting him for healing those injured. Watching the story unfold is so fun and endearing. The characters are charming and witty. So many twists and turns, that keep you fully engaged and on the edge of your seat. Wonderful series, this story can be read as a stand alone.
Hazel Thornton has always wanted be a nurse, but her fear of enclosed spaces made it impossible to finish her nursing studies. On her way to the Canary Islands to live with her father, a Major General in the British army, Hazel and her companions are caught in the conflict of the Spanish Civil War. After rebels blow up their train, she is encouraged to help and applies her knowledge of first aid. Dr. Jim Jackson is critical of Hazel's help, but soon changes his mind. Working together for the Red Cross helping the injured from the fighting, their admiration for each creates complications. Kissing only.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book.
An exciting addition to this wonderful series starring Hazel and Dr Jim.

Only ever wanting to be a nurse and help others, Hazel has had a hard time with her bouts of panic that have her unable to finish school.

But fate has something in store for her when the train, she and her friends are on crashes and she is put into a position of having to help those injured.

Jim thinks Hazel is a well born woman just trying to be helpful, but soon sees her skills and the help of her friends to help those in need.

A heartwarming story that will keep you enthralled until the end!
Jennifer Moore does it again! I was hesitant reading this book because I haven’t read the rest of the series but I’d heard good things about the books so I figured I’d give it a shot! Man oh man I wish I would have it sooner! I had to stop halfway through the book so I could go back and read the rest. This book draws you in and you fall in love with the characters and can identify with them. They feel real!
The Blue Orchid Society is such a fun series and this book is no exception! I love the historical aspect of these books! It is intriguing and I always learn something new. As a tween I was enthralled by Florence Nightingale so learning a bit more about her medical practices was great. Another reason you should read this story is because Hazel deals with things that a lot of people currently deal with and seeing her find ways to cope is beautiful! Jim is a fun hero. I enjoyed this read and learned which is always wonderful!
I have loved both books in this series and excited for the next installment of The Blue Orchid Society. These ladies are true friends to each other. Supporting, caring and encouraging. I truly believe everyone needs a group like that in their life. I appreciate for Jennifer Moore always addresses this in her author note at the end.
🩺
Hazel wants to be a nurse and help others. She had the best example- watching her mother tend and care for others. Only Hazel has panic attacks and quits nursing school only for a holiday gone wrong with a train track explosion and finding herself in war torn Spain and a hospital needing all hands on deck!
🩺
I was so thrown off by these events that it did take a while to get into the story but it was so unique that I appreciated learning about Spanish history that I never knew. Of course a handsome doctor and forced proximity never hurt either 😉
🩺
Hazel is strong and capable and needing the support of others or needing to be reminded of that doesn’t make you weak. 💜 I really loved this book and I just wanted a little more at the end but I can’t wait for the next book in the series because I love seeing the ladies through out.
🩺
These books don’t need to be read in order and can be read as a stand alone. I received an arc from the publisher and Net Galley. These are my own thoughts and opinions.
Healing Hazel is the 3rd book in the Blue Orchid Society series. To best get a feel for the group of five women in the society you would want to read the previous books. But Healing Hazel also stands on its own.
Hazel experiences panic attacks. This far they have kept her from achieving her dream of becoming a nurse. The events within the book change that.
I feel a bit inadequate to describe the friendship, the gentle care, the determination and the love that mark the course of this story.
Hazel reaches her dreams and finds love. The authors note at the end about the support of women’s relationships left my heart feeling grateful for this book and for the women I am blessed to have love and support me through the years.
There were tense and scary moments in this story, but the ending turns out well. All will be well in the end, if it is not well it is not the end. A fitting statement for a sweet historical romance.
I recommend giving this story a chance to entertain and warm your heart.
Thanks to Netgalley and Covenant Communications for the opportunity to review this book.
I think this story is my favorite of the series thus far. I am not cut out to work on the medical field at all, but it's fascinating to learn about it, so that may be why this story resonated with me as much as it did.
I've also grown up being taught that serving others is a great way to forget about your own problems (or at least minimize them) and Hazel does just that. She is such a strong character, without even realizing how strong she is, and I love that.
The relationship between Hazel and, well, everyone made the story what it was. She was able to put aside language, class, whatever kind of barrier existed, and get to know each of the people she interacted with. What a great example for all of us.
I'm always glad for the chance to read new books from authors I enjoy, and this one is up there among my favorites.
This series just keeps getting better and better. I love these strong women and their bond. I never realized Hazel struggled with anxiety or I overlooked it in the other books. I loved getting to know her better and seeing her strength and determination. I loved that she had people who were willing to help her through her anxiety and panic attacks and that the book addressed them. My daughter has severe anxiety and I felt a protectiveness for Hazel as I read her story. She was amazing. So loving and strong. I really loved her. Dr. Jackson was a different story. It took me a little while to warm up to him. He was also very determined and I believe that helped these two bond and fall in love. They both cared deeply for the welfare of others, even though they showed it differently. The setting for this story in the mountains of Spain during a civil war was interesting and seemed perfect for these two. I am anxious to see whose story will be next. This is a great series.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through Netgalley and this is my honest review.