Cover Image: The Pier

The Pier

Another exciting Louise Blackwell tale set in Weston super Mare with the trial of adversary Finch from previous episodes and a series of bomb outrages all contributing to the plot. Never less than frantic the pace never lags through multiple twists and turns all leading to a super climax in both storylines. Good fun.
If you are looking for a book which shows the people of law enforcement,  especially the cops, as normal people who feel fear,  despair,  have limitations and flawed, instead of the highly intuitive or precognitive people we see most of the times, then you surely ought to try this book.

The main protagonist DI Blackwell and her team of friends are such people who are trying to solve a sudden threat against DI. The story is completely Investigative with some romantic moments thrown in and I had a good time reading it. Because of the way these people have been written,  it took some time for me to get into the realism the author was aiming for in this book. But once I got into the tone of the story I started getting more engaged and interested in the story the author is trying to say.

This is the first book by author Matt Brody I am reading and this will definitely not be the last.
A thoroughly enjoyable read. I hadn't read any Matt Brolly until the book immediately before this one in the series which I also enjoyed.

I was able to read that one without prior knowledge of the characters and there is no reason that the same couldn't be done with this such is the manner in which previous events are referred to. It probably would be better to go back and read the earlier ones first though.

An enjoyable and believable main character and events which could easily take place anywhere in the country so no requirement to suspend belief whilst reading.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys their crime thrillers and would thank the publishers, author and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my impartial review.
In the latest instalment of the DI Louise Blackwell series, the detective is nervously awaiting the criminal trial of her former colleague and nemesis Tim Finch.

Whilst in prison on remand Finch is still manipulating people and making alliances with some shady characters in order to discredit Louise as a witness at his trial.

A series of bomb threats has Louise worried, especially one at her niece's school. A link is established between this incident and a fire at a static caravan park, leading to an arrest. When the suspect takes their own life and leaves a message suggesting further atrocities to come, Louise realises someone else is pulling the strings.

Louise is in a relationship with her former colleague, Thomas Ireland, who is now heading up security at a local distribution company. When suspicious packages turn up there Thomas is implicated by a local criminal but none of his colleagues believe this.

Greg Farrell and Tracey Pugh, two of Louise's colleagues, tail another colleague they suspect of shady dealings with Finch and the journalist Tania Elliot.

Events escalate, leading to a tense denouement as Louise and her boss DCI Robertson face a race against time before a bomb explodes.

This is an excellent addition to the series, with the various plot threads coming together to create a fast-paced and compelling storyline. I look forward to reading what happens next.

I was sent an ARC of this book by Amazon Publishing UK, in return for an honest appraisal.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of your book in exchange for an honest review.
The fifth book in the series. I was not disappointed-it kept me gripped till the explosive ending. Recommended.
The local primary school seems to be the target of a bomb threat but is it? or more chilling it's a threat against a police officer who spoke out.
A police officer DCI Finch is in prison not on remand awaiting trial is he bent or not?
It seems DI Blackwell and Finch did have a fling but not serious but is Finch organising these bombs from his prison cell?
It's a realistic story but not one I could warm to, the main protagonist seems as if she is distant, not amiable in fact quite a cold person.
This is my first read of this author I would read another one, as long as it is not a DI Blackwell as it ends as if there could be more.
I would like to thank Amazon Publishing and Netgalley for an ARC to read, it was not bad but as stated the protagonist is cold and not much of a description to any of the players.
Thank you to NetGalley, Matt Brolly and the publishers for allowing me to read The Pier for an honest review.

This is another book in the DI Louse Blackwell series. I have been fortunate to read a previous book in this series so I was aware of what was happening.. Having said that, this is a stand alone book and it is not dependent upon having read any previous books about Di Blackwell.

There are a series of bombs going off in town and it is at the same time as the trial for Tim Finch is happening in which Louse, among others, has to testify against the ex policeman. Is Finch organizing this from inside the jail to discredit Louse or is unrelated?

Louise has finally entered into a serious relationship with Thomas but it appears strained with the bombs and Thomas being suspected of drug running. Will Louise finally settle down or will previous relationship hurts harm another one? Keep reading and you will find out.

I enjoy the Di Blackwell series and this was another example of a great read.
The Pier by Matt Brolly is a highly recommended procedural and the fifth installment of the Louise Blackwell series.
DI Louise Blackwell of the Weston-super-Mare police force will do anything to keep her niece, Emily, safe, so when a bomber targets her school it is obviously a message to Blackwell, especially as there is a message specifically mentioning her. Then there is an explosion at a nearby caravan that is tied into the school bomb. A suspect is found, but he is not the perpetrator. Tania French, the reporter, is hanging around, ready to write incendiary stories about the threat. And the corrupt DCI Tom Finch, who is in jail awaiting trial, seems intent on taking Blackwell down before she can testify against him, but there is also another relative of a suspect who may want revenge against Blackwell.

In this fifth outing of DI Louise Blackwell, the complicated background information needed to completely comprehend the plot almost makes it a necessity to read the previous novels in the Blackwell series. There are recurring characters and many ties back to events found in previous novels, especially the fourth novel, The Mark. There is background information provided, but it would really behoove readers to know more information and background to fully appreciate the plot.

Blackwell continues to be a compelling character that readers will up hold. She is a determined, intelligent and interesting character. DCI Robertson now heads her section and he has always supported her. Blackwell's flaws are also presented in the plot, which makes her a realistic and sympathetic character who will elicit your support as she handles the current investigation. Along the way there is further character development as the novel progresses. Her relationship with Tom continues to evolve and grow.

This is a great series for those who enjoy police procedurals.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley.
The review will be published on Barnes & Noble, Edelweiss, Google Books, and Amazon.
Another in the series featuring DI Louise Blackwell but Mr Brolly makes it easily possible be read as a standalone.

I have had great trouble not being too familiar with all the places in any spoiler.  as a Bristolian boy who has worked in Portishead (PortZ) and WSM.- so familiar but superb for this storyline

Plenty of brilliant characters, 'Taunting Tania' and 'Frightening Finch' and a storyline that keeps up a pretty frantic pace at times. If you like a good murder, dodgy policemen, serial criminals and a few bombs this is the book for you!!

I am already looking forward to Louise's next adventure - keep it up Mr Brolly you are doing a great job.

Thanks to Net Galley and Amazon Publishing UK for the chance to read and review.
DI Louise Blackwell is back...a local school is subject to a bomb threat, as Louise's niece goes to the school it's personal, even more so when a note is found next to the device "Next time you won't be so lucky D I Blackwell"
The race is on to find out who is behind this threat, with yet another note left, she is up against the clock. Such a good read, with engaging characters that are well observed and utterly believable, as are the situations. We  are getting to know Louise better and the relationships between her family and friends. Really entertaining give it a go!!!
DI Louise Blackwell is glad that disgraced former DCI Finch, the sociopath that caused all of her trouble, has finally been caught and she looks forward to testifying against him. In the meantime, someone has placed what looks like a bomb in her niece’s school, accompanied by a threatening note referring specifically to Louise. An obnoxious tabloid reporter appears to be communicating with Finch, aiding in his attempt to throw the trial. But who is planting the IEDs, and why? Can the police stop him before it is too late? If you enjoy edge-of-your-seat thrillers, Matt Brolly’s novels are a good choice. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.
I am loving this series,  it gets better with every new book.  A great story which kept me guessing till the end.
The Pier, by Matt Brolly, is an interesting police suspense series that takes place in the United Kingdom.  This book is all about the details and at times I felt like I could almost see the scenes.  While I liked the premise and most of the characters, I struggled though the middle.    Louise Blackwell is a dedicated DI and Aunt
After a bomb threat at DI Louise Blackwell's young niece's school she realizes that this case is much more personal than she and her team are comfortable with.  So, now that her niece and the other students are terrified, she's determined to stop whoever is threatening her and her community.
After an explosion of a local caravan reveals a suspect he ends up hanging himself and leaves a warning.
Is former DCI, Tim Finch working from prison to be part of all this carnage?  Maybe he's hoping to sabotage the case against him.
As the threats get more serious, the public and departmental pressure starts affecting Blackwell and her team.  But they're all determined to bring down their deadly foe.
With the Pier Matt Brolly delivered another sublime nail biting exciting and thrilling police procedural.
This action-packed fifth and last (?) novel can be read as a standalone and will keep you on the edge of your seat.
So, buckle up, and enjoy this roller coaster ride:
taking you to the world behind bars, bomb treaths in a local school, caravan parks, links to the Falkland war, to the court room: the various fast-paced storylines keep you at your toes, and never become dull for a minute, eventually coming together to a satisfying conclusion at an air show at the seafront…
Unfortunately,  the ending insinuates that we have to say goodbye to Louise Blackwell for now
I really hope there's a sequel - or that Brolly will come up with another similar character soon!
5 star !
I leave this review voluntarily, and would like to thank the publisher for providing a review copy.
DI Louise Blackwell is back for the next in this series, and this time her nemesis DCI Finch is on remand for attempted murder. Unfortunately crime never stops and she finds herself embroiled in a tense investigation where time really is of the essence. It’s also closer to home as it initially involves the school that her niece Emily attends. Not only that, but she’s trying to work out her feelings for Thomas, now he’s no longer a police officer; could she actually start to have a proper relationship?

As I’d expect from this author, it’s tense, fast paced and has you on the edge of your seat. Louise is still tortured by the past few years, and although she knows it was justified, and saved Amiras life, killing someone should never be easy. The main characters all have well written backgrounds, and you do really get the feeling that this is the way police incidents could be investigated. Unfortunately characters like Max Walton and Tim Finch are all too believable. Another excellent read from Matt Brolly.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
A solid mystery with a dash of romance may be found in The Pier. The plot was interesting and had a decent balance of believable situations, events, and info about the private lives of the individuals. The novel started out well but dragged a little towards the middle. Getting to know the characters was fun. The interactions between Louise and her family, friends, and coworkers were handled properly. Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for this copy.
Matt Brolly brings plenty of suspense and action, as well as an edginess, to the fifth book in the Detective Inspector (DI) Louise Blackwell series set in and near the seaside town of Weston-super-Mare in England. While the tale occasionally switches points of view, it is primarily that of Louise.
A local school is the target of a bomb threat and it gets personal for Louise. Her niece is one of the students and there’s a note directed at Louise hidden under the device. A nearby explosion with another note elevates the tension.
Louise is a hard-working, resilient, and fascinating individual who has trouble delegating. However, she is respected by many, and her fighting for what is right inspires loyalty in her co-workers. Despite this, networking is an aspect of her career that she has never been great at. Her flaws make her feel more realistic as does her struggle for work/life balance.

A strong, intriguing, and riveting opening scene will immediately pull most readers into the story. The narrative is suspenseful with a creative, absorbing, complex, and well-paced plot with some twists that will keep a reader guessing. The plot is multi-layered which keeps readers fully engaged. Brolly brings the layers together in this dynamic thriller. The high stakes kept me engaged throughout the story. As Louise and her team are working to find connections and work through the clues, there are also shocking action scenes. The people in the story came to life, and I was cheering on the police as they searched desperately for the criminals.

Overall, this was a gripping and chilling story with complex characters. It’s intense and dramatic and kept this reader turning the pages. While there is some background given in this book, the series is best read in order.

Amazon Publishing UK and Matt Brolly provided a complimentary digital ARC of this novel via NetGalley. Opinions are mine alone and are not biased in any way.
The Pier is the fifth instalment in the Detective Inspector Louise Blackwell series. DI Blackwell is now leading her own team as the lead detective of Major Crimes in north Somerset, from Avon & Somerset’s headquarters at Portishead, with the closure of the CID unit at Weston-super-Mare. Louise attends a bomb threat situation, reported to her by her boss DCI Iain Robertson, at her niece, Emily’s school, Larkmead, and she finds it's a hoax but is perturbed as a threatening note is left for her attention along with the fake bomb.

This is another riveting and compulsive police procedural by Matt Brolly with enough drama and intensity to keep you gripped through to the end. I like Louise's character and she feels three-dimensional and very convincing. She's intelligent, has a great sense of humour, fights for what is right and inspires loyalty in her co-workers.

The personal lives of the characters, particularly Louise's are a fair chunk of Matt Brolly's tale, and his writing flows enjoyably making this a book I devoured easily. Whilst The Pier is a police procedural it is also an examination of relationships. The author also explores the atmospheric setting giving a real sense of place. Captivating and well crafted.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
Love Matt Brollys work and this book is an excellent addition to his portfolio of works.  A great continuation of the series,  ring us up to date with the characters we have come to love (and hate).  All this interspersed with an excellent who dun it.  Eagerly awaiting the next instalment
DI Louise Blackwell is now working out of Portishead, the centre for Avon & Somerset police with her own team. Although she still lives in Weston  super- Mare helping her parents  with her niece she spends a lot of her free time with Thomas, an ex policeman now a Security chief. Her mind has been on the upcoming trial of DCI Tim Finch where she is due to give evidence when a bomb threat comes in for her niece's school. It is a hoax but the note warns the next might not be! When a mobile home burns down on a local site things seem to point at the school caretaker but there are hints that Louise is the one whose attention they want.

This is the fifth in this series & I have enjoyed them all from the first. The characters are engaging (or awful) as the author intended! The story is fast paced & holds the attention. My only complaint is- how long till the next one Matt?? Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book- it was a cracker!