Cover Image: Fatal Witness

Fatal Witness

I have really enjoyed the Erika Foster series thus far.
When I saw the blurb for this one, I was thrilled. I am a huge fan of books that involve true crime podcasts- fact or fiction!
I thought this one had everything I love in the series- characters who feel like friends, a fast paced plot and constant drama and clues to keep you on your toes!
I did have the audiobook, but did find the narrator had a slight squeaky tone to her voice that didn't sit well in my ears, so switched back to the ebook version to finish.
Fatal Witness by Robert Bryndza is the seventh instalment in the Detective Erika Foster series but it can be read as a stand-alone. I recommend you read the full series in order to get all the character development and because they are all so good. This book finds Erika once again in the wrong place at the right time. While out picking up dinner, she hears a scream and finds a grisly murder. The victim is Vicky Clarke, a true crime podcaster who has been investigating a serial predator who preyed on students years ago. Unfortunately all the the evidence she has found along with her notes are missing. Erika and her team don't have much to go on, as they are pulled into a murder investigation involving a case of mistaken identity, eccentric and strange witnesses, and a psychopath. When a second victim, a Bulgarian student doctor turns up, the case takes one more strange turn.

I enjoy Robert Bryndza's Detective Erika Foster series, but this one was a bit darker and it has some violent descriptions that might turn off some readers. It was a bit difficult to read. This was a well-plotted story with well-developed characters that pulled me in from the first page. Erika is a smart, independent woman who is still dealing with a lot of things from her past. She has finally decided to start anew and purchased a house to fix up and move into. Her team are brilliant. They work so well together and can feed off one another to come up with great ideas, clues and information. Bryndza created some truly slimy, unlikable suspects that all could have been guilty, which made it even harder to discern the guilty party. This is an extremely tense book that had me on the edge of my seat. I had no idea who the culprit was and the twists just kept coming. Another wonderful Erika Foster book that I highly recommend. The audiobook was narrated by Jan Cramer. I have listened to her narrate several previous books in this series and she is the voice of Erika Foster for me. I definitely recommend this book and series in audiobook format.
An intriguing story with many suspects to mull over and consider. This is my first meeting with Slovakian DCI Erika Foster in this London-based series, though I've read some instalments from Robert Bryndza's other series. The author's writing style is a good fit for me, though here it is a little gruesome and the deep, multilayered, novel with its lurking danger has a nail-biting ending.

The audiobook was narrated very well and I alternated between reading and listening to this novel; listening to the story was a good decision; the narrator's engaging voice has the necessary worth and brings verve to the proceedings. Overall, Fatal Witness is a super book that contains brutality but is still a relatively easy read. Very highly recommended. 😊🔪👍

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Raven Street Publishing via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I received this advanced copy  of fatal witness. I am a huge fan of the series.so far, it was a great thriller.

Well done!
My first Det. Erica Foster book.  Fatal Witness is book 7 in the series.  I don't feel like I missed anything.  This is a true stand alone book.  I would like to read another in the series.

The scream sounds right away.  The story is okay.  I had a hard time liking what may be the book 7 cast.  There is one exception, ironically had the others been likable I probably wouldn't mention,  George (A stray cat.).  Each character had a suspect story, and I thought that was a little much.  I didn't have anyone to cheer for and I was getting bored.  The podcast storyline was different, and I liked it and how it was explained.  I did feel cheated with the ending.  It was as if Bryndza was in a rush and threw it together.

There is swearing, and really it wasn't necessary.

The narrator was just okay.  After a while the voice became tiresome.

I did like Erica and would pick up another in any order.

Thank you NetGalley and Raven Street Publishing for accepting my request to read and review Fatal Witness.
This is my first Bryndza, and I’m impressed! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this one, and it even kept me up at night at one point.

I did find some scenes unnecessarily visceral, and there were some odd forays into the private lives of the detectives, but other than that it was a clever crime mystery.

Oddly, the editing was a little lacking with a lot of words repeating and other rather lazy writing/editing, but not enough to detract from the reading.

The narrator was skilled, though she had a little uneven pacing which could easily have been annoying. Very good voice though.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for gifting me a free audio copy in exchange for an honest review!
Fatal Witness Robert Bryndza
I've read and enjoyed books by this author, but not from this series, but enjoyed this so much I want to go back and read them all.
I really like Erica as a character,  and really enjoyed this story. Good plot that kept me guessing.
This is my first Erica Foster book and it was easy to listen to as a stand-alone book without knowing the background.
The story is quite intriguing and makes for interesting listening. I really enjoyed it.
Thank you to NetGalley and Raven Street Publishing for letting me listen to this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you Net Galley for allowing me to listen to this book. I really enjoyed it. All the characters and the plot had you guessing until the very end. I definitely recommend this book to anyone.
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book and a free audiobook from Raven Street Publishing, in exchange for an honest feedback.

Summary: Detective Erika Foster was on her way back home when she heard screams coming from a flat nearby. She goes to investigate and finds a woman crying at the entrance of the flat. The woman explains that she came to check up on her sister, as she didn’t show up for work, and she discovered the body of her sister was brutally murdered inside the flat.

The victim is Vicky Clarke, an aspiring true-crime podcaster. Who wouldn’t want to kill someone who’s having so much evidence and exposes criminals in her free time? From neighbors who act suspiciously, to her convicted brother-in-law, and even the brother of a senior police officer falls as suspect in this case.

Just when Erika and her team were about to have a clear lead, another young woman is found dead. So not only now there is a serial killer on the loose, but the victims are look-alike.

My thoughts: This is book seven in the Detective Erika Foster series, but you can read it as a standalone. I went with the audio version (narrated by Jan Cramer), as it’s been a while since my last audiobook. It’s my first book written by this author, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to be introduced to his work. The storyline is intriguing and there are a lot of suspects. I don’t want to give away too much from the plot, but for some reason I suspected that the criminal was another female. Especially one that enjoy… corpses for the sake of art? Let’s put it that way. At first, it may seem like an easy crime case, but it isn’t. I was wrong, and the plot twist was a good one. There were some parts/elements in the story that felt farfetched and unnecessary.
Fatal Witness is the latest installment in the Erika Foster (number 7) saga. It catches up with Erika in Blackheath where she has just purchased a do-er upper.  She has just moved in and is on a late night walk for fish and Chips when she stumbles across a murder scene.

The story unfolds with Bryndza's usual thrilling story telling where the story unfolds with twists and turns and nothing and no one is really as they seem.  It was great to get reacquainted with Erika once again.  Erika is her usual self but is making in roads at moving on with her life.  I have previously enjoyed this series very much and this book did not disappoint.  After a bit of a hiatus, Erika is back and was as great as ever.

Fatal Witness continues to develop the characterisation of the members within Erika's team whilst also reintroducing a new character into her life.  The team around Erika are an integral part of this series and there are many heart warming, disappointing, 'oh no' moments depending on what's happened! Erika certainly needs to prioritise herself a little bit!

Jan Cramer narrates the audiobook and I have listened to quite a few of her narrations - I always find that she takes a little getting used to but once I am settled into a book, I don't really notice (sadly, I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like about her narration).

I would thoroughly recommend this book as it continues Bryndza's Erika Foster series very well with a story which takes you on a roller coaster ride.  It is an enjoyable police procedural series which doesn't require too much thought on the readers part.  This book is on the grisly side, so may not be for the faint hearted but if you can manage a grisly story, this is a great read with some surprises along the way.

Thank you to the author, the publishers and Netgalley for my audiobook copy of this novel.
This is my first book from this author and I was looking forward to listening to the Audio version as I listen to an Audio book on a daily basis! The story was interesting enough but is not the best I have read/listened to. The plot is longer than necessary and the main protagonists are not enough developed in my opinion. The narration is well done but again will not be listed as my top Audio experience.
It is still an enjoyable storyline.
This author is new to me, so I started this audiobook not knowing what to expect, but with hopes of enjoying it, and I was not disappointed.
Narrated well with a pace that perfectly matched that of the storyline, this audiobook story held my attention from start to finish. Although I found some of the plot towards the end a little far fetched and unbelievable, on the whole it was a good storyline and had me wanting to listen to more. I am unsure whether this is part of a series but I will definitely be looking for further audiobooks by this author, in particular those that might feature the lead detective as I always try and choose books with strong female lead characters, and Erika is definitely one of those.
Erika Foster never fails!
An absolute gem of a tale, intriguing with many suspects to point the finger at yet,  hold your breath, the ending will leave you stunned!
Robert Bryndza delivers another stunning blow to readers of the genre and if you were not hooked before, you will be now!
I listened to and read Fatal Witness.  Both were excellent.  I listen to audio books while performing other tasks but most times had to stop and just listen while this story moved forward.  The narrator did an amazing job of keeping the emotions high and the suspense full bore.  Bryndza wrote an excellent thriller but this audio book was an excellent experience too.

Ever since we met Det Erika Foster in THE GIRL IN THE ICE, she has gone through many trying times while working to bring some very nasty criminals to justice.  Robert Bryndza has kept her character consistent while still developing her sense of justice a little more each book.  Her skills have grown, just as they would in real life.

In FATAL WITNESS, Erika has changed jobs to help her heal from her emotional wounds.  Her first night in her new home, as she walks home from having dinner out, a woman's scream brings her to a gruesome murder scene.  Gruesome is an adjective used for many scenes in this book.  Bryndza does not shy away from writing scenes so descriptive, you react strongly.  Each of the murder scenes is definitely memorable.  As Erika works with her team while still learning her new home and community, she will find her first imoressions were all surface deep and once scratched, they will never look the same again.

Robert Bryndza's writing is descriptive, realistic and sometimes gruesome but when building the back story for a murder thriller, he's 100% effective in grabbing your attention and keeping it.  This is book #7 for Erika Foster but could be read as a stand alone.  This book is GOOD!  You should read all of them.
Whilst walking home from the chip shop, Detective Erika Foster hears a blood-curdling scream from an apartment block nearby. Inside she finds a distraught woman and the brutalised body of a young woman. All of the sudden Erika and her team are sucked into a murder investigation which involves mistaken identities (whoops), eccentric and confusing witnesses (choose your next door neighbours well), and a serial-rapist who may or may not have turned serial-killer.

This is the 7th book in the Erika Foster series and can easily be read as a standalone. It was my first Erika Foster book and I could easily follow along given the bits and pieces of information from her past. I did not feel like I was missing vital information.

I listened to the audiobook and got sucked into the story almost immediately. The narrator has a way with making each character easily distinguishable from another without it becoming a nuisance. The story itself was a true page-turner. It kept me guessing all the way through and made me gasp on multiple occasions with the many plot twists and details coming to light! Highly recommend this novel to lovers of crime, mystery, and thrillers!

I’d like to add a trigger warning though: The book starts on an incredibly violent note detailing a heinous murder. Not soon after the detectives also come across the bodies of decapitated cats. This happens in like the first 10% of the story, but I’d rather warn people about this before picking up this book. After all this is sort of calms down and most of the brutality depicted is less intense.

I received an ARC audiobook of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
I had a listen to the audiobook of this through NetGalley and I had such a great time. This was the first book in this series that I have ever read, so new readers can rest assured you can pick it up from here.

I enjoyed it so much that I’m thinking of going back and reading from book one.

The mystery was very enjoyable, I loved the cast of characters and the attention to detail was superb. I don’t want to spoil a single thing because I read this completely blind, and I’m sure you’ll all enjoy doing the same.

If you want to read a book that has you guessing who did it until the very end, pick this up immediately!
Detective Erika Foster comes across her new case right outside of her newly bought home. The neighbor is found gruesomely murdered inside her apartment. After a thorough examination of the scene of the murder, the team finds multiple clues that eventually lead them to a shocking discovery.

It's a good book and had many great twists. Unfortunately while reading the book I found myself distracted and it took me a while to finish it. Great story with a lot of potentials, but I didn't feel the suspense. Nevertheless, I liked Erika's character and would like to read another sequel with this detective.
Detective Erika Foster is moving into a new home, in a lovely area but on the same day, she finds a crime scene. A young girl is brutally murdered and she is going to find out what happened.
I jumped from the book or the audiobook (while cooking and doing home chores) and it was nice.
This is the 7th book in the Detective Erika Foster series. As with all the previous books in this series, this book is written with a fantastic sense of dark humour and a brutal descriptiveness that packs a punch and narrated beautifully.
Erika finally has moved into her dreary cold fixer upper of a house. Walking home after a late dinner she hears screams coming from a nearby apartment block. A body has been discovered, brutally murdered. Vicky Clarke an up-and-coming podcast creator lies dead, her body discovered by her sister.
This book has it all mistaken identity, several suspects that flit I and out of the spotlight and most of all Erika’s team, Moss and Issac who bounce off each other with ease.  Fantastically written with a shoal of red herrings that will keep you guessing up until that last minute. Highly recommend!