Cover Image: For Her Consideration

For Her Consideration

I enjoyed this book. I liked the Hollywood setting, the found family, the swoony out actor love interest. I loved the great aunt and the Thursday lunches at the retirement center. I loved the way Ari always said "Nina Rice" and her surprise at discovering Nina was an option. Sure, there are some unbelievable plot points, but this was a fun, sweet, diverse read. Highly recommended.

This was a cute read and I enjoyed it. I absolutely loved Ari, but not so much Nina. Nina clearly wasn't over what her ex did to her. So she had no business trying to start a new relationship. I also found her a bit annoying. But overall this was a good book.
This book is so charming and delightful. Ari is totally adorable and crushable, without ever veering into manic pixie dream girl territory. I loved all of the behind-the-scenes Hollywood details, as well as the strong friendships at the core of the book. This book put a big smile on my face.
This is a very enjoyable and lovely book to read. I really enjoyed the characters, the pace and the way in which it was written. If was an easy read and would highly recommend it.
Thank you to Kensington Publishing Corporation for the eARC of this book!

I'm struggling to figure out how I feel about this book. There were elements I did enjoy about it, and others I didn't, though unfortunately a lot of those really diminished how much I enjoyed the story.

What I did like about it: the premise. It was a great premise - it was believable and made for interesting plot points. I also really enjoyed the side characters. They were fun to read about and I wanted to read more about them, honestly. I'd read a whole book about CJ and Sophia.
I also liked the overall themes, especially that careers were important consideration. It wasn't just all about the love, it was more about how love and work fit together to make a full life and I really appreciated that.

What I liked less: the main characters didn't feel too fleshed out to me. I liked Ari a lot but I felt like we didn't get enough of her to really get to know her.
As for Nina: I wanted to like her. I related to a lot of her internal struggles, and I genuinely was rooting for her to get her career (and the girl). However, I found that the catalyst for her disappearing from her friends' lives <spoiler> and breaking up with Ari </spoiler> being that her ex-girlfriend said she was toxic to everyone, meaning she shouldn't be around anyone ever. Obviously I understand the way words can cut and affect someone's behaviour, but I found it a little unbelievable that someone who had so many wonderful friends, and a wonderful great aunt who had been caring for her since she was little, had never had anyone ask why she was acting the way she was acting. Where were these wonderful friends when she disappeared for three years? <spoiler> At the end, they all show up to Nina's condo to see what's up, but why didn't they do this the first time she disappeared?</spoiler>. I was mostly frustrated with this concept which just made me not appreciate Nina's journey with it, and I was mostly annoyed any time it was brought up.

So overall - this was a fun read! I don't regret reading it, and the romance, premise and side characters really made it a great experience. There were a few things that really stopped me from totally loving the book, though.
2 Stars for me but I’m rating 3 because I can see why others would like it.

I feel like a curmudgeon for this review…

I wanted to like this one, I was excited for a sapphic story with at least body diversity, I feel like 99% of contemporary fiction WLW books are about two thin white femmes and it gets boring, but I just couldn’t like Nina. I found her immature, selfish, and fussy, the kind of person who just mopes instead of trying to fix the problems she caused and I didn’t see improvement as the book went on. I mean, we start with her hitting a cyclist and feeling sorry for herself about it and ending with her breaking Ari’s communication boundaries by using Ari’s email to respond to a situation Nina didn’t like. No one’s perfect, but Nina constantly bemoans about the 12 things her ex didn’t like about her as reasons why others shouldn’t like her and makes no real effort to work on herself.

I’m a believer in the adage, don’t hook up where you V-lookup, so mixed with not liking Nina, I didn’t find their romance as fun as I hoped, but I see how someone wanting a light read might enjoy this. It reads to me like a teen fanfic on Quizilla about becoming Kristin Stewart’s PA and falling in love with her, it has its place, but not what I expected. It just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!
Nina had such great character development throughout this book. It leaves you just rooting for her the whole time. Overall, this was a great book. We need more queer romances and this was a solid one!
Nina is an aspiring screenwriter currently working at a talent agency. She meets Ari Fox, up and coming movie star, at a work meeting. They hit it off right away and form a friendship. Nina is recovering from a bad breakup and has come to terms with staying single but she can’t seem to resist Ari.

I absolutely LOVED this. It did start out a LITTLE slow but it came together so well. I love Nina, I related to her so much. All her struggles, inner thoughts, feeling not good enough. Her growth during this book was beautiful. I loved the chemistry between her and Ari. I smiled every time Ari called her “ Nina Rice” 🥺 it was so cute. All of Nina’s friends are truly the best. I want a book about each of them. Especially Lorna. She was the true star of the story.

This book is a sapphic rom-com. It has the found family trope. Plus size rep. Celebrity romance.

I had a hard time putting this down and read it in one sitting.

Thank you Net Galley and Kensington Books for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
A sweet and addictive lesbian romance

After a breakup that left her broken, Nina has left the city to live in the suburbs, focusing on her work. When Ari Fox, a young, queer actress requests a meeting so Nina can get to know her and manage her email account in a way that sounds more like Ari, things change. Afraid that she's reading into things that aren't there, Nina convinces herself that Ari isn't flirting with her, even if her presence stirs up all kinds of tingly feelings inside her. When Ari incites her to go back to working on a script she's writing, Nina agrees. But is falling for a client really the best idea?

I really enjoyed this romance! It was fresh, addictive and very, very queer, juste the way I like it. The characters were very relatable and the plus-sized rep was absolutely on point. I loved how confident Ari was with her sexuality, especially since she is a public figure. It was heartwarming to see queer joy, and a story that isn't centered on the struggles that queer people can sometimes face. The relationship between our two protagonists was truly adorable and made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. It was hot, sweet and very relatable. The writing was nice too, and guided me along well into Nina's story. The pace sometimes felt a bit slow for my taste, though, but I still had fun reading this book. I also enjoyed how the two of them grew together and the spice was really, really nice! The secondary characters were fun as well and I really liked them. All in all, it was a very warm and fun read about sapphic women in the movie industry.

I would recommend if you're looking for a sweet, sapphic romance.

"With Ari at my side, and me at hers, I was ready for anything."

TW: toxic relationship (in the past), sexually explicit scenes
For Her Consideration is a book about two queer women living in LA - one a famous actress, the other working at an agency and tasked to answer emails for famous clients.

Nina and Ari meet during a business meeting which does not seem like the most romantic place to meet, but somehow for the two of them it works.

I did enjoy reading this book, but I have put off writing this review because it was hard to put into words why I liked it. The best think I came up with was 'it just works'.

Nina Rice is a very difficult main character. She does stupid things (like ghosting her friends for no reason, taking other people's opinions way too seriously etc) but through it all she is relatable. I would say throughout the book she is at her worst and that is really hard to read sometimes. I related to her and her struggles and they were portrayed really well, but also I didn't love reading about the same problems I deal with in my normal life, when I'm just trying to read an escapist queer romance.

Ari is by no means perfect either. The whole situation starts because she is "difficult". She wants things done exactly the way she wants to do them.

What I did absolutely love about this book was the friendships. Ninas friendgroup is so awesome and the way her friends accept her and want to help her even though her flaws sometimes negatively affect their own lives was beautiful to read about. They are truly 'through-thick-and-thin' friends and every chapter that had them in it was an automatic favourite of mine.

Also Ninas relationship with her aunt was so interesting to read about. Her aunt is such a unique character and I love their dynamic and their obvious love for each other.

I also quite enjoyed the setting of the book although it is wildly unrealistic. And with that I think I need to get into the things that actually bothered me in this book.

I couldn't quite manage to suspend my disbelieve. Everything from the way Nina acted after her big break-up to the instant connection with Ari just seemed a bit forced. I didn't quite understand it.
Even though I liked both main characters despite their flaws I just didn't truly see them together. The spicy scenes were really awkward at least to me and their general dynamic was just so 'perfect' it kind of irritated me.

Ari, this supposedly famous lesbian icon, just immediately falls in love with Nina and goes out of her way to spend time with her and get to know her. And Nina, who has her strict rules that she has lived by for 3! years (at this point they must have become a subconscious habit imo!) just decided to not care about her rules anymore the moment she meets Ari. She is unprofessional- and tbh I thought the drama at the end was way tamer than I thought it was going to be. It somehow felt anticlimactic. They just got together again while barely addressing the problems they had and the hurt they caused each other.
Both of them were truly wrong in the conflict which was interesting to see, but again, it just wasn't resolved properly imo.

The ending was a bit too quick and underdeveloped in my opinion. Like I said before, Nina seemed like she was at her worst time in life and even though it kind of got resolved it still feels like she didn't truly get her happy ending. She needs to go to therapy (which is addressed in the book as well) and it will take more than just a bunch of money to make it all okay again.

Still I quite enjoyed reading the book so I give up a 3.5 stars rating.
I will add my full review soon, but for now, I'll say that I thought this was a thoroughly enjoyable romance and I especially loved Nina's character development.
Thank you Netgalley & Kensington for an eARC of For Her Consideration by Amy Spalding!

4/5 stars

The chemistry in this book between Nina and Ari are on point! I loved the story, i kept smiling at the book the whole time it was so cute and wholesome.

I’d recommend it to anyone!!

Overall a fantastic read. I can't wait to read more from this author

Nina is absolutely head over heels for Taylor. Sure they may have broken up, but Taylor is giving Nina a second chance and she has every intention of not messing it up . . . until she does. Or at least that's what Taylor makes her think. Taylor gives Nina a list of all the things "wrong with her" and Nina decides that it's better for everyone, her friends included, if she just disappeared and gave up dating.

Nina is working for a talent agency where she works behind the scenes pretending to be celebrities replying to emails. She is excellent at her job and hasn't had a complaint in years, until Ari Fox. Of all people, the celebrity that had an issue with Nina's emails is the one celebrity Nina already has a crush on.

Ari and Nina end up becoming friends early on, but pretty soon it leads to something more. The two embark on a crazy romance with so many ups and downs you think you're on a rollercoaster.

This book was a very easy read and I breezed through it. We follow Nina's story throughout and I must admit that I initially did not like Nina very much based on her interactions with Taylor. Before Nina was described a decent way into the book, I pictured her very differently so I had to take steps to change that image in my mind. I was also not a huge fan of Ari's when she was first introduced. Both characters did eventually grow on me once we got to know them better.

One of the things I loved about this book was that it wasn't a "coming out" book. Both characters are already out and just living their lives, which I appreciate. However, I did feel that there was a little too much emphasis on Ari because this openly queer icon. Nina says it over and over and over again how Ari is doing so much for queer youth and she is, but it almost feels like that's all Nina sees in her after saying it so many times.

I also love the character of Lorna, Nina's aunt (who is really her grandmother's sister and so acts more like a grandmother figure). She super funny and witty and just adds a certain pizzazz to the story.

Overall a fantastic read. I can't wait to read more from this author.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read this for an honest review.
While reading this, I couldn’t help but smile throughout the whole thing. The chemistry between Nina Rice and Ari Fox was insane, they were so stinking adorable. The relationship between Nina Rice and Lorna warmed my heart, having family and friends around you is the best.
This book was so nice and I absolutely loved reading it and I’m so glad I was able to receive it as well! Nina and Ari gave me everything I wanted and more!
Nina Rice has been dwelling on a previous relationship that ended badly for about 3 years, she has isolated and focused on her work, that changes, though, when she meets lesbian rising movie star Ari Fox and starts to fall for her.

I really liked this! The relationship between Nina and Ari felt well developed and they had a lot of chemistry. The plot wasn’t very important but it didn’t matter to me at all because Nina and Ari’s relationship was so well done.

The side characters were super entertaining and lovable and the little things like the cat and Lift driver Karl really tied it all up nicely together.
I do think that this book would have benefited of a higher stakes conflict, as I didn’t really get stressed about the relationship issues because they felt like not that big of a deal, really enjoyable book overall tho :)
Nina is an assistant to a Hollywood agent and she ends up dating Ari Fox, a queer actor who meet when Ari has questions about her talent agency team. It was simple and sweet and enjoyable. I liked both leads a lot and Nina’s friends were fun and didn’t take away from the story. The characters did not feel static and I liked that there was a clear arc of Nina’s growth. The focus of the book was almost entirely focused on Nina which feels pretty rare in romance novels. It made it difficult to connect to Ari and sometimes she felt like an imitation of a character instead of anything real. The pacing was pretty slow and there was too much repetition for my tastes, of arguments, of jokes, of insecurities. I liked that the book felt honest with multiple issues and I loved the side characters (Nina’s friends, Aunt Lorna) but I wish it felt more balanced overall. I have been struggling a lot with romances lately because I find them too surface level where there characters never feel like they could actually exist and they’re always brought down to a few key characteristics that get echoed throughout the book. This one felt pretty middle ground for me, the chai repetition felt like overkill and I think there’s a simpler way to emphasize the issues Nina was dealing with, but it was readable and entertaining enough that I finished the book. I mostly wish that books gave a bit more space for readers to breathe and infer things instead of everything being so clear cut, the blame neatly displaced, and everything obvious with who is to blame. I thought it was interesting that Ari being a celebrity was practically irrelevant for the majority of the book and a lot of that must be because the POV was solely Nina’s, but I think it would’ve been interesting to get more of Ari’s friends and her overall life. The last third conflict was…a stretch for me, but it didn’t really take away from my enjoyment of the book.
4/5 ⭐️

I really enjoyed this one! It had a very interesting concept and was executed well.  One of my favorite aspects of a queer story is a solid found family and this book had just that!  Although I wasn’t fond of the pacing for the conflict and resolution, this book had great queer love and representation.

Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the early copy!
This book was absolutely spectacular. I loved the storyline and everything about it. This book was magical.
If you want a fun, joyful, gay , warm fuzzies romance, then 'For Her Consideration' might be just for you.

Meet our two mains Nina and Ari who are very easy to like and to just enjoy there playfulness together. Nina works as a talent scout (mainly writing as the talent for saying I enjoyed your event etc ) and Ari the talent. When one email goes wrong, Ari wants to strict and in control how her emails should go. Ari thinks its wise for Nina to shadow some of her current emails, what could possible happen, friendship, lust and maybe lust.

For me I thought Ari was just thirsty for Nina from the head start and it was nothing to do with the email. She seen her and thought, 'yeh I want some of that'.  It was fun to see their chemistry together and how they navigated around each other.

Side characters where all just adorable and I did have some laugh out moments with Nina's friends. I also fell in love with Nina's aunt (kind of grandma).

I would like to add that Nina's ex sounded horrendous. I'm actually really glad she didn't just pop up to do the drama because I might of spat my dummy out. However the dialogue that I got to read , I genuinely was really angry. Once your read the 12 points list your understand.

I rated it four stars as I think I prefer more slow burns , to the point you are screaming at the author   'WHAT ARE YOU DOING' and I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, just my personal preference.

This is my first book of Amy Spaldings and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to her new work and exploring previous publishes.

Happy Reading