Cover Image: Pieces of Me

Pieces of Me

Pieces of Me by Kate McLaughlin
Dylan wakes up in an apartment that she doesn’t recognize. Thinking she partied too hard last night, she plays it cool. But when she discovers she has lost her memories for three days, her questions lead to unexpected answers about herself.
This book impressed me so much. I was in awe of how much this story affected me. It was powerful and gut-wrenching, and I don’t think I’ll be the same.
Dylan was so brave and endured a lot in this book. I loved how she kept going as she learned how to make her new situation work for her.
I don’t think I can put into words how amazing this story was. If triggers are not an issue for you then can I recommend going into the story blind? But if you have triggers then you should double check them.
5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This book was the best book I’ve ever read on this subject.

DID stories have a special place in my heart. They provide entertainment, suspense, and an unreliable narrator. Any book I've read with a main character that had DID was a thrilling ride and this one was no different.

Pieces of Me was such a good story. Kate McLaughlin did an amazing job researching DID and wrote the book without being over the top. It actually felt real. It could be a little slow and predictable at times, but that didn't keep me from enjoying it.

Pieces of Me deals with the subject of Dissociative Identity Disorder. Eighteen-year old Dylan struggles with losing time, and after waking up disoriented and learning she's lost three days, she's driven to search for answers. Pieces of Me is her story as she learns to live with the others residing within in a healthy, productive manner. The author does a deep character exploration of how mental illness affects the life of the victim and their friends and family. Author Kate McLaughlin has obviously researched the subject well and utilized the material to weave it in with the characters and plot in such a manner to render a heartfelt, informative story.

This book held my interest from the beginning. It was a fascinating and dark read about the mental health journey of 18 year old Dylan who is diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder. Dylan is losing time and seeks help to try and figure out why. I did feel the book was written beautifully, but not super emotional. A lot of the book is Dylan trying to figure out the why of her current mental health issues while dealing with the voices in her head. Be prepared for some serious situations and please check your trigger warnings.

Thank you so much to NetGalley for the arc. I loved every piece of this story. Disclaimer, this is very VERY YA but I am a huge fan of YA so it was fine with me. Its a look at DID (dissociative identity disorder) which is was once call Multiple Personality Disorder. The only other books I can recall that dealt with DID was the book Sybil and also a book by Mary Higgins Clark called All around the Town.

I digress

This book took a very sensitive topic and handled it beautifully.

I did not know what to expect going in to Pieces of Me by Kate McLaughlin, but I think that may have been for the best. This one explores themes of mental health and specifically Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for sharing this book with me. All thoughts are my own.

I am beating myself up for waiting so long to pick this one up - PIECES OF ME was one of my favorite reads this month, to close out the year. I so enjoyed this fast-paced young adult novel and the education it provides around Dissociative Identity Disorder. It did such a good job at educating readers about DID and how those impacted can process through their diagnosis and learning about the other identities.

I think this book and the mental health aspect was handled so well - everyone truly let the impacted character lead their own story.

Pieces of Me by Kate McLaughlin is done really really well. She takes a unique approach to mental health and identity and expertly shows living with Dissociative Identity Disorder. I feel mental health and how those affected suffer day to day, is not easy for many to understand. This novel really opens a readers eyes to the struggles of DID. I loved the realistic feeling of this story with family, coping and the slow reveal of triggers. Really well done and I recommend checking the content mentions too.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! No spoilers. Beyond amazing I enjoyed this book so very much. The characters and storyline were fantastic. The ending I did not see coming Could not put down nor did I want to. Truly Amazing and appreciated the whole story. This is going to be a must read for many many readers. Maybe even a book club pick.

This book is best to go in blind. I don’t want to say too much but this had me flipping the pages quickly to the end!

Thank you #wednesday and #NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review

This was a well thought out story about a character with DID, and the author definitely did her research on this one. I enjoyed that it didn’t feel like an over the top, exaggerated story about someone suffering from a mental illness. I am giving it three stars because I found it to be slow in some places & a little predictable. I think Kate did a wonderful job at researching while writing this & that definitely helped the story along.

Man, this was a book that I went in blind, having no idea what it was about other than the Author and the stunning cover. What a remarkable story this was!

I was absolutely fascinated by this storyline. I went in blind and I think that’s the ideal way to read this book. The writing itself was enjoyable, but the topic is what kept me intrigued.

3.5

A riveting book that you can't put down. Dylan, the main character, wakes up in bed with a guy she doesn't know and can't remember how she got there. Losing time is something that she has been experiencing for a while but this time it was for three days. Dylan is diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder and learns that she has a system of alters, distinct individuals, who live in her brain. They were created by her as a result of trauma that she experienced as a child. The content of the story is disturbing and heavy, but it's balanced with a lightness as Dylan begins to accept her alters. You can't help but feel that the timeline of progression is a bit unrealistic as events fall neatly into place. It's still a fascinating read and will appeal to young adults.

The cover is truly striking. Dylan’s upbringing was privileged, with divorced yet wealthy parents, and a close bond with her twin brother. On the surface, her life appears idyllic, but beneath it lies a struggle—bouts of ADHD and drinking binges. Recently, she’s been “losing time,” frequently awakening in unfamiliar places with no recollection of her activities. When she discovers she’s spent three days with a boy named Connor without memory, Dylan recognizes the need for help. Eventually diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID), she begins to understand the voices and presences that seem to inhabit her mind. However, this diagnosis brings its own fears, and Dylan questions her ability to persevere.

This book took me by surprise, deviating from my expectations but proving to be exceptionally compelling. I had never read a book centred on Dissociative Identity Disorder, and this one handled the topic with such skill that it immediately drew me in.

The author possesses a remarkable command of language. The book’s intricate details and seamless narrative flow will ensnare your attention from the very start.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for sending a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very interesting read, with a very interesting premise.

I wasn’t expecting much when I went into this, as I am not a huge fan of books centered around mental illness and “uncommon” diagnoses, but this was surprising. The research that the author put into writing shows in the way that the story progresses, and makes it feel much more realistic. But the Dr. Google diagnosis and everyone accepting it almost instantaneously did feel a bit picture perfect.

The cast of characters really made this book work. The relationships between everyone felt very real, and sort of grounded the book. I also liked the way that it was split up into sections that eventually pulled everything together into one place.

The plot twist was what I was expecting, and also not close at all. It was very quickly introduced and wrapped up, almost in a way that felt like an add-in. I did like that everything wrapped up, and made sense though.

There was a list of trigger warnings in the front of the book, which I liked to see, especially with heavy content such as this.

Overall this was a very informative and quick read. Thank you to NetGalley, Wednesday Books and the author for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Dark and compelling!

Eighteen-year-old Dylan wakes up in a strange apartment with people she doesn’t know. It appears she’s had another blackout. Dylan has lost time before but this is the first time it’s lasted an entire weekend. Soon after this her mother makes an appointment for Dylan to see a neurologist. Dylan is given a diagnoses that seems to explain what’s been happening to her.

Dylan tries to come to terms with her diagnosis and everything that goes along with it. But is she ready to face things she has blocked out?

Will revelations from the past be more than Dylan can take?

An entertaining, thought-provoking and informative read!!

I finished reading this in just a couple of sittings. I’ve read two of the author’s previous
Young Adult novels that also dealt with some dark but important issues.

It’s obvious that once again, Kate McLaughlin has done a lot of research. The author educates while telling an intriguing story with well developed characters. The characters are relatable (though some may seem a little too good to be true) and you can’t help but root for them.

Readers should take care as this book deals with issues that may be triggering. Though it deals with some heavy issues, “Pieces of Me” is still an entertaining read written with respect and compassion.

I'd like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this novel. All opinions are my own.

This was a gripping book, Dylan wakes up in an unfamiliar place surrounded by strangers. After being diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), Dylan embarks on a challenging journey of self-discovery, navigating the many voices in her head and forming a deep connection with a man named Conner. As their relationship grows, Dylan realizes that keeping herself away from him becomes increasingly difficult. While the story initially felt slow before the diagnosis, overall, it offers readers an eye-opening exploration of DID that is worth checking out.

𝐏𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐞
𝐁𝐲 𝐊𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐌𝐜𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐥𝐢𝐧
𝐏𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐫: 𝐖𝐞𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬
𝐏𝐮𝐛 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞: 𝟒.𝟏𝟖.𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

I let 𝐏𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐞 sit too long - this was so good!

Dylan is a teenager who is partaking in risky behavior: drinking, staying out late - she even loses time in her mind.

This time, she wakes up in a strange guy’s apartment. He says he’s Connor, and thank goodness he didn’t hurt her; in fact, he’s pretty sweet. When she checks in with her mom, Dylan discovers she’s been gone for three days.

Dylan is concerned something might be seriously wrong with her, like a brain tumor or something, because she meets people who know her but call her by a different name. They seem vaguely familiar, and dreamlike memories float around in her head. Sometimes she hears these voices too, but she’s not sure who these people are.

Finally, with the support of her mom, her only friend Izzy and even her brother Mark, Dylan gets a proper diagnosis - Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). She learns that she has alters (many different people) that exist in her head, most likely as a way to block trauma in her past.

I felt this book was very well done, but I will caution anyone who may be sensitive to topics such as suicide, mental health topics, and sexual abuse. The focus is Dylan’s diagnosis, what living with DID is like, as well as acknowledging her trauma. I did like that the author included how her family was affected by Dylan’s DID as well; could that have gone deeper, maybe? But I appreciated how we get a better understanding of DID through this story and the repercussions of trauma.

𝘌𝘮𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭, 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘯𝘪𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘵!

Thank you @wednesdaybooks and @stmartinspress for a gifted ebook.