Cover Image: Girls Without Tears

Girls Without Tears

This is exactly what I was looking for! A fun, tense, fast paced thriller that doesn’t take itself too seriously. In the loosest sense it reminds me of high school/college drama flicks like Scream, or similarly in book form, In My Dreams I Hold a Knife.

Was it completely believable? No. Was the execution a bit problematic? Yes. Did the characters care more about their love lives than a missing child? Indeed. But was I entertained the whole way through? Absolutely!

Thank you NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for my gifted ebook!

Pub Date: 8/9/22 Available Now!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Really very excellent narrator.. Some of the book was repetitive and difficult to get through. As a whole I liked the book. Great ending
Noa has a rare medical condition. She cannot feel pain. She left her small home town as soon as she was old enough because she was tired of all the drama. Well, when her ex boyfriend’s daughter is kidnapped, Noa decides to go home and help with the search.

I found Noa intriguing. She is very intelligent and as y’all know…I love a smart woman character. I also enjoyed her small hometown. The author nailed all that mess! And believe me, all small towns are basically alike. I laughed out loud in some places just because it was spot on! Especially Noa’s mother, I know quite a few like her!

I fluctuated between 4 and 5 stars on this one. The only reason for 4 stars is because it has been quite a long time since Noa has seen her ex boyfriend…from high school. So, it was a bit far fetched for there to be such a huge connection created throughout this tale. I did settle on 5 stars because of the intensity and the continuous twisting of what is actually happening where Skye is concerned. And this whodunit will keep you guessing!

Tarra Sands is the narrator and she sure knocks your socks off!

Need a book which is nonstop…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review.
Unfortunately this was a miss for me. I really struggled to get into this and it ended up being a 3 star read because it started very promising but fell short.
Great read. highly recommended!  I like a good mystery - and this one kept me guessing. I like that she moved on in the end! Good charecters with an intersting plot!
Girls Without Tears is a unique mystery/thriller about a woman in Florida who has a chronic illness, CIPA. She cannot feel pain, which presents difficulties in many situations in her everyday life and throughout the plot progression. She gets pulled into a search and rescue mission for a young child back in her hometown. While visiting, she is involved in a lot of high school drama with her ex, which I found to be a little weird, since the main character has been out of high school for 10 years and she moved on to have a successful life. There was an awkward love triangle that I strongly disliked. It had that "every boy the MC knows is actually in love with her" vibe. Some parts were boring and predictable, but overall it was a solid, enjoyable mystery and I loved seeing chronic illness represented in the MC!
Thanks #netgalley for this book in exchange for an honest review. Listened to the audiobook and enjoyed the narrator. I liked the characters, the concept and the entire story. Highly recommend.
Thank you Netgalley & Dreamscape Media for an audio listening copy of Girls Without Tears by T.L. Finlay. 3.5 stars. I think the narrator did a great job conveying the personality and feelings of Noa.

Noa is nervous to go back to her hometown after her ex’s child goes missing. At first I was wondering - Well, why would she go back? But as the story unfolds, it becomes clear. The fact that Noa has a condition that makes her unable to feel pain thickens the plot, and makes her helping in the search all that more dangerous. This was a fascinating concept that intrigued me from the start. The story is medium-paced with plenty of red herrings to make you question how it will all end. Loved the ending!
First, I’d like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for my copy of this book. I am leaving this honest review of my own will.

Cover is nice.
Character development… not great.
Writing? A little repetitive, slightly annoying.
The premise definitely does make you wonder why the events of this book are even happening (I think it would be very easy to not drive across the state to search for the kidnapped daughter of your ex from high school who broke your heart and the woman he left you for), but as you get into the story it makes sense why Noa decides to join the search.

This story is rife with suspects and red herrings and plot twists that will keep you on your toes the entire time. I definitely had my suspicions from the get-go (and I was right), but Finlay was able to cause reasonable doubt of my own thoughts.

The writing and storytelling felt very cohesive and natural and kept me interested the entire time. Tara Sands did an excellent job bringing life to these words and pages and to every single character. I’ve heard Sands narrate a number of audiobooks and she certainly has the range to work across a myriad of genres and texts.

This book is excellent for anyone interested in a mystery or thriller; it is medium-paced, very plot-driven, and deals with some very heavy subject matter; with that said, I would say that Girls Without Tears is appropriate for readers aged 14+, give or take. I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading this book and I look forward to what T.L. Finlay has in store for us next.

Thanks to NetGalley and DreamScape Media for sending me an audio ARC in exchange for an honest review. Girls Without Tears is now available at your local libraries and on sale at major book retailers.
WOW!  This one is full of twists and turns. Noa has this medical condition where she cannot feel pain, so severe that she cannot even feel the need to urinate and needs to set an alarm to remind herself. She left town right after high school after her boyfriend broke up with her and now that his daughter is missing she is being called home to help in the search. The town is hesitant to allow her to help but she tells them she has been cured (this is an important twist) and she teams up with one of her friends and best friend to the dad (her ex-boyfriend).  After getting hurt, kidnapped, beaten, and nearly killed, will they find out the little girl is closer to home and the culprit is closer to them that anyone knows?
This book was very well narrated, the change in voices was wonderful.  The story was not something I was expecting, but boy, was it fascinating!  I will definitely look forward to more by this author!
Wow! I love learning about new medical conditions in books. This was a great ride and I did NOT see the twist coming at the end! This means this was a well-written book. I really enjoyed the ending and that she became close to the little girl. My favorite part is where he truly thinks that her bf is a figment of her imagination and that he is going to "get her back" in his love life, and in walks her bf! I can't wait to read more books by this author!
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* i didn't like this as much as i thought i would. it wasn't bad but there were several phrases repeated enough that i found it kinda annoying lol
Honestly i thought i would give this a shot i wasnt a big fan of the writing a bit choppy and the characters werent very developed
A little slow at times, but absolutely did not expect what happened!! There were a lot of characters and relationships to navigate. It always keeps me on my toes when the main character is made to be an unreliable narrator or hallucination/making things up because it makes me question everything! But she was reliable!!!
ARC audiobook provided in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll start by saying that Tara Sands does an excellent job with the narration of this story! Her character voices were spot on and while I sometime miss hearing multiple people doing the characters, she covered everyone flawlessly! I would give this story 4.5 stars as I really liked the plot and the twists and turns that made me questioning everyone and guessing what was going to happen. I also really liked how the entire saga of Sky missing came to a close and it didn’t end like how I predicted at all which I also appreciate! I would definitely recommend to anyone who likes psychological thrillers with deceptive characters!
The cover spoke to me, and I listened.  I liked the narrator.

The synopsis did appeal to me, and I was okay with the start. By 20% or so the prospects of a nice mystery/thriller  dimmed.  I like smart characters who are driven by commonsense.  I like adult children holding their own life responsibly against a parental badgering or attempted guilt trip.  I had high expectations.   Sadly, the author chose a different path and I couldn't relate.  I didn't like any of the characters.  The ending was convoluted.

At best, this was just okay.  I'm going 2.5 stars, rounding up.

Thank you NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for accepting my request to read and review Girls Without Tears.
I really love to support local authors, but it’s especially cool when they live in your neighborhood and visit your @littlefreelibrary!

Noa is living in Miami when she finds out the young daughter of her ex-boyfriend goes missing. She returns to her small hometown of Everglades City to join the search party, but not without hesitation. She would often be the center of town gossip thanks to a rare medical condition. Noa suffers from CIPA, Congenial Insensitivity to Pain & Anhidrosis, which prevents her from feeling any type of pain or producing sweat.

Being in the medical field, I had never heard of this condition and was instantly intrigued by it. I was curious to see if the entire book would be saturated with it, making you forget the story is about finding a missing child, but Finlay did a great job giving detail when needed and pulling back as well. I was glad that the entire plot wasn’t riddled with CIPA as the main focus. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an integral part of the plot, but it didn’t overpower it.

I especially liked how CIPA played a role in Noa’s relationships, while it destroyed some, it made others stronger. As I read, I kept thinking how cool it must be to not feel pain, until the author slipped in that Noa has to set a timer on her phone to remind herself to go to the bathroom! Can you imagine being on a date and peeing yourself because your body doesn’t read basic bodily function queues? 🫢

There is a ton of action and I didn’t anticipate any of the twists! I was hooked, until the very end, trying to figure things out and piece them together. I failed miserably!

Thank you to @netgalley, @crookedlanebooks and @dreamscape_media for ALCs and e-ARCs of this book. I switched between both platforms and it was awesome!

Thank you so much @tracifinlay for gifting me signed copies for myself and our LFL! I’ll definitely be reading The Rules of Burken and The Falling of Stars soon.

➪ Girls Without Tears is out now!
Pub date: 8/9/22
Genre: thriller
In one sentence: Noa's insensitivity to pain has always made her an outsider - but when her childhood ex-boyfriend's daughter is kidnapped, she returns home to help solve the mystery.

I grew up in south Florida, so the setting of this book was a perfect match! I loved how Finlay captured the wild nature of the Everglades and other parts of FL. Noa was a great MC - her congenital insensitivity to pain (CIPA) made her unique among thriller MCs, and I enjoyed following her sleuthing. Tara Sands' narration brought her to life so well! The narrative twisted and turned nicely, with some good surprises, and I did not guess the culprit.

If you like domestic thrillers, this is a good one to pick up!

Thank you to Dreamscape Media for providing an ALC in exchange for an honest review.