Cover Image: The Last Thing She Wrote

The Last Thing She Wrote

It's been 6 months since the night that destroyed Freddie's world - the night he came home to find his baby sister dead in the pool.

Therapy is not working, life is just not good. Then his therapist recommends that he spend time in his sister's room, finding a way to connect to her and heal from the trauma of loss. She tells him he will never have the answer to why Kaylee committed suicide but connecting with her will make accepting it easier.

However, after finding the diary she kept at her bedside table things take a strange twist. Was it actually suicide or is there something far more sinister and dark at play?

A gripping story that is a quick read with twist and turns.
Fast paced young adult mystery centered on Freddie who is just trying to make sense of his sister's death.  I though it was well written and nicely done even if it was fairly predictable.
This book was fantastic! I really enjoyed it and it kept me guessing throughout, which is difficult for most books to do. I felt like I connected with the characters and really enjoyed the plot!
The premise and the beautiful cover of this book caught my eye and I thought it would be great to get my hands on it as a read for the night. I was not expecting to be an ugly, sobbing mess reading it.

Freddie is still dealing with the aftermath of his sister's death and blames himself for not being there. He has been in therapy ever since and when his therapist advised him to find closure by going into Kaylee's room, he does so but he also finds his sister's diary. As Freddie divulges into his sister's private life, he realizes that there could be more to his sister's death than he first thought. Will Freddie be able to solve the mystery of Kaylee's apparent suicide?

This book had me hooked from the very first page and the very end. Just when you thought things were to be cut and dry, the story takes a completely different turn. This book makes you sympathize with the pain a sibling has had to go through when losing a younger or older sibling. Freddie blames himself for going out and not being there or even catching the signs of something being wrong with his sister. As one character put it - the pain is never visible and there are never signs that there is something wrong.

Freddie is relatable and his anger and grief are palpable. You will find yourself rooting for him as you follow him along his journey to get the answers he seeks and you want nothing more than those questions to finally be answered and Freddie to find some bit of closure.

This was my first taste of this author's books and I am hooked. I would love to read her next books in the future.

I want to take a moment to thank Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for allowing me the chance to read this book and offer my honest opinion on it.
The Last Thing She ever Wrote hooked me in the first few pages. I had a hard time putting it down to do the sctual things I needed to accomplish that day. So hard that I ended up reading the whole book in one day.
It is a story of love and anger and death, and family, friends, anguish, healing. At first glance this could be any other tragic family story, family suffers a tragic loss, family tries to move on, son feels resposible, blah, blah blah.
But not this one.
This book is so beautifully written that you become a part of it. I found my breath catching, my heart aching, and then relief from intensity of it all.
I highly recommend you read this book. You will not regret it.
It’s been six months since Kylie was found drowned in the pool and even though it was called suicide Fred cannot help but feel guilty if only he hadn’t gone to Anton’s party she would still be here. He still seeing the psychiatrist and when she advises him to sit in Kiley‘s room and remember the good times he does exactly that and while in there he finds her diary in watching right inside makes bread curious. Could Kylie‘s death have been murdered? If it was murder who did it? These questions lol answered in the book an OMG theaters world for you they did me. This is a surprisingly thrilling yeah mystery And it’s the one I got yesterday started reading and didn’t stop till I was done it was that good. I received it from NetGalley and the publisher but I am leaving this review voluntarily please forgive any mistakes as I am blind and dictate my review.
The Last Thing She Wrote by Julia Bodwell was an amazing story.

What stood out to me the most were the characters.
So realistic, real and raw emotion's. It was amazing.
My first time reading her work and I'm very impressed.
The story-line was interesting and engaging.
The writing was great and flowed well.
And the mystery kept me hooked.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Thank you to NetGalley and Julia Bodwell for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.
The Last Thing She Wrote is a well written YA novel that covers some difficult topics.  The writing was superb and it’s clear the author has a strong understanding of teenagers and the ability to write their characters well.  The sibling relationship was particularly poignant, I could actually feel Freddie’s emotions and regret.  I read the book in one sitting and while it covers topics that may not be easy to read, it was well worth it.  I highly recommend getting your copy today and can’t wait to read and. Bodwell’s next work.
[ Review time ]

Title: The Last Thing She Wrote
Author: Julia Bodwell
Genre: Mystery/Thriller/YA
Release Date: August 3rd 2022
Publisher: Julia Bodwell
My rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

wow wow wow.

This book took me by surprise because it was so beautiful and good!
Julias writing style is amazing and the way she describes grief, loss and being lost in those feelings was very touching.

It was a quick read but even though it wasn’t a long book, Julia managed to get so many emotions in just a few amount of pages. It definitely made me tear up more than once reading this one.

I really recommend people to read this one, but look up TW before you do!❤️

I can’t wait to read Julias other book and upcoming releases!

A big thank you to NetGalley and Julia Bodwell for letting me read this ARC for an honest review!💖
This book was really good!
I enjoeyd reading it so much. I love mysteries so I was really excited to read it and it still met my expectations. The characters were well developed and likable, and I can normally guess things, but this still managed to shock me that was good.
Overal, I'd recommend.
Still reeling from his younger sister’s sudden suicide six months earlier, Freddie decides to confront his guilty feelings about not being home that night by finally looking for some answers as to what was going through her mind that awful night. When he finds her journal and begins to read, however, it leads to more questions than answers, and soon he finds himself embroiled in an even deeper mystery, wondering if his sister even took her own life or if she was murdered.

NOTE: I don’t normally go for novellas, and at about 140-ish pages, this qualifies, but I’d heard good things about this one, so I decided to go for it. And I have to say I enjoyed it.

This story manages to punch a lot of emotion into this story, right off the bat. We enter as we see this family, and specifically a brother, just completely torn up after the death of Kaylee. And then were tossed into the mystery, which takes a little bit, but does indeed get going, and doesn’t stop from there. And the big reveal was great, I didn’t see that coming.

All of that in a novella. Suffice it to say the author knows how to write a good story to get all of that into a short book. And when I say that the emotion really felt REAL. I mean it. I could feel the pain that Freddie was feeling as he talked about his sister. It was incredibly powerful. I was very impressed by the author’s ability to write that into the story.

Like I said, I’m not a huge fan of novellas, but I greatly enjoyed this one, and it didn’t take long to finish. I highly recommend checking it out!
I rated this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed that this book was fast paced. It was short but packed in a lot of details. I sped through the last 15 chapters.

The story itself was interesting and kept you wanting to unveil more. It was well written, gave you just enough to create your own conspiracy without revealing what actually happened. I liked the two main two characters and I’m glad they worked things out between them.

While I liked that it was fast paced, I do feel the ending was slightly rushed, they went from one extreme to the next pretty quickly. I feel they could’ve dragged it out a tad more.
But overall I am glad I read it, and if you’re looking for a short but entertaining mystery this is definitely for you.
I have read Julia Bodwell's work and I really enjoy their writing. It's a really a good mixture of mystery and circumstances and the characters which portray a real image. And I really love how the plot plays up and I really love the story. I think this book is really wonderful and I think the author has a long way to go when it comes to writing.
A book about a heavy subject, but well written. There was quite a bit of mystery in this book which I really enjoyed.

Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, from Julia Bodwell and #NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to preview and review. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Mystery, wrapped with emotion that’s not easy to capture in the written world.
. . . ⭑ ⭑ ⭑ ⭒ ⭒
This was a decent little read.  Fast in page count and in plot progression, it did the trick for a quick gulp read.

This definitely is a YA novel, both in content and in writing style, and while I’m not quite to the target audience of this one, it can be enjoyed by an older audience.  The main character is seventeen, and I appreciated that the behaviours, attitudes, outlooks, and actions were very age-appropriate, and therefore believable - I don’t often read this genre, but when I do, I get frustrated if the plot betrays the age of the characters.  With that being said, there is still mature content in here, but it’s tackled in a fitting way.

Perhaps because it’s a YA novel, the plot moved extremely efficiently, which left me feeling a bit like things escalated rapidly, but not in a particularly thrilling way, more so in a “let’s wrap this up” way.  In that regard this felt like it wasn’t enough for me at times, and I wanted more from the book.

All things considered, this certainly served its purpose, and if you’re looking for a quick little dabble into YA, this would do the trick.

~👩🏻‍🦰
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. (via Netgalley)

I thought this was a pretty solid read. Moved at a good place and was pleasantly surprised that there was a bit more of a mystery than I originally expected.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Didn't know where it was going or what sort of genre it was. The characters were lovely and it told a great story. I read it in a couple of hours so guessing it wasn't a very long book but will definitely be buying the author's first book. Thank you for the advance copy :-)
Thrilling read! I was able to connect with all of the characters and throughly enjoyed the story the author painted.
This is a really great book touching on grief, sibling relationships and even a tinge of mystery. It’s a little on the short side and I consumed it within a day. It touches on suicide which is a topic I’m very familiar with and really made me think. Excellent book for young adults.