Cover Image: Flowerheart

Flowerheart

I had a good time with this one. It was a solid cozy fantasy though nothing super memorable. I thought it was a standalone but left a lot of open ended questions that I would have liked answers too. The romance was ok, though I didn't feel super invested in it.
The cover of this book is obviously gorgeous and I think that it does set up a certain expectation for the reader. This book was cozy and there wasn’t very much tension, which can probably be inferred by the title. While I did enjoy this book, it didn’t really have an aspects that gripped me? I do understand that’s part of the vibe that I think the author was going for, so maybe I wasn’t the ideal audience for this. It also reads very young and is a good intro book for because getting into books with romantasy elements.
3.5 Flowerheart is a cozy cottage-core, low-stakes fantasy book.

Although this is a low-stakes fantasy book, there are still stakes, just not like in high fantasy books. I mean, someone’s life is at stake, so... But for me personally, even though there were stakes, I didn’t feel too invested. The plot is simple but good; at some points in the plot, I was shocked, like with the Euphoria potion plot.

I loved seeing the magic system. the flower language, what their meanings are, and seeing how it correlated with Clara’s feelings...

Speaking of Clara, she undergoes significant growth and development throughout the book. It is truly beautiful to see because her journey is relatable and inspiring.

Xaviar is also another main character; I loved him because he isn’t the usual fantasy book boy. He’s a cinnamon roll; he’s shy and isn’t afraid to cry.

The romance in this book was pure, and it blossomed into something adorable. Although I did wish we had more development with them because I wasn’t super invested, I did find them cute. (This is childhood friends to lovers.) Another bond I enjoyed was between Clara and her father; their bond was so adorable.

The cover of this book was so beautiful, which was one of the reasons the book caught my eye. I feel like a cover is just as important of a feature as what’s in the book, honestly.

Overall, this is a good book if you’re looking for something cozy, but it’s still fantasy.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Children's Books, HarperTeen, for providing me with an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This won't appeal to all teen readers but it is very cute and has a lovely atmosphere. The book would have been better suited for twenty and thirty year olds.
"An Enchanting Debut for Lovers of Magic and Romance"

"Flowerheart" is a stunning debut that will captivate fans of Margaret Rogerson and Allison Saft. This cottagecore fantasy romance takes you on an enchanting journey that will leave you fully immersed in its pages. The book exudes a unique atmosphere, brimming with magic and charm, thanks to Catherine's masterful storytelling.

While the world of "Flowerheart" draws inspiration from the Victorian era, it is a place where queerness is not only accepted but celebrated. This queernormative world is a refreshing and heartwarming aspect of the story. It's heartening to see more queer fantasy books emerging, set in worlds devoid of prejudice against LGBTQ+ individuals.

The protagonist, Clara, is a character who undergoes significant growth and development throughout the book. Her journey is both relatable and inspiring. The novel also features strong bisexual representation, making it a welcome addition to the world of diverse main characters.

If you have an affinity for flowers, teenage angst, heartfelt romance, discussions of mental health, and an enchanting, magical setting, "Flowerheart" deserves a place on your reading list. It's a book that will sweep you off your feet and leave you longing for more.

I would like to extend my gratitude to Netgalley and Harper Teen for granting me access to the E-Arc of this book.
3/5 Stars

This was a very cottagecore / light fantasy book. The writing was easy to read and the story was easy to follow. The author did try to bring in some darker tones while keeping it light. I would've loved this book to be longer and more detailed. I would've liked to know more about Clara's powers and the magic in this world. The romance was very surface-level, there wasn't much there that kept me invested. Overall, it is a very easy and fairly light-hearted YA book. I would recommend if you are looking for that light fantasy cottagecore book.
Flowerheart is a simple story told in an inventive and beautiful way. It is about depression and negative self-talk and the magic of love, believing, healing and hope. The world building and descriptions were beautiful; they painted a picture in my mind that I could clearly see.

Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins Children's Books, HarperTeen for this digital arc in exchange for my honest review which is not affiliated with any brand.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!

This was better as a romance than as a fantasy. The love story was well done and beautiful and sweet. The fantasy element could have been stronger- I wanted more detail on the MCs magic and how it works.
This was a fun read, while also being slightly dark at the same time. The only thing that was really missing was much actual use of the main character’s magic, because the story just starts with her being threatened with losing it, and we know she’s a healer and that’s what she uses her magic for, but the story just focuses on her being afraid to use it because she might hurt someone, more than seeing what she can actually accomplish with it and why she’s so afraid of having it be taken away even though it torments her. So we don’t get as clear of a picture of what the stakes are. But overall, this was a good book.
Excellent choice for high school fantasy collections. The book features strong characters, magic, suspense, and romance -- something for everyone.
Flowerheart by Catherine Bakewell is an astonishing, luscious, magical book. It features a beautifully done second-chance, childhood-best-friends-to-lovers romance (complete with a "you never got my letters?" troupe), a brilliant discussion on mental health and gentle love that I have never seen before, and a magic system built on flowers that will make every Studio Ghibli fan swoon. I highly recommend this book and will be waiting with bated breathe for anything Bakewell publishes in the future.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me access to the free advanced digital copy of this book.
I fully believe Catherine Bakewell can do no wrong. She writes the most engaged, beautiful stories with lovable characters that jump off the page.
I thought Flowerheart was really cute! I did see the reconciliation between Clara and Xavier coming from a mile away but it was still heartwarming and satisfying when they did get together. The ending was very sweet and I loved that even though he lost his power, Xavier and Clara get to have a shop together. Some of the plot felt like a slog to get through since it was really obvious that it was all going to work out in the end, so the moments of great turmoil weren’t as exciting. pretty solid 4⭐️
This is a very soft, cozy read that I devoured quickly. The best way I can think of to describe this is it's the sort of book you curl up with on a rainy day, in a comfy chair with a warm drink. It's soft and whimsical and reads a bit like a classic YA fantasy.
I thought this was great story full of cottagecore wonder and magic!  The cover is very indie looking and I hope people give it a chance.

The story can be interpreted different way but for me, a plus size woman, I felt this was a journey of self discovery and a touch of mental illness rep. The main character can talk down on herself but I feel this is the case for many woman in similar situations.  I thought the book did a great job of drawing the audience in and I will definitely recommend it!
I thought this book was so sweet! I loved the atmosphere. My biggest piece of feedback though is that I wish there more books - that this was a series. I felt that there was so much to be explored that couldn’t in just one novel. But I will definitely read more by this author!
I requested this book because the cover was ready and I like the aesthetic the synopsis gave off. While I was reading it though it didn’t give me and excitement. It butterfly moments. I mean there was times when the ML blushed. I struggled to finish it but I didn’t hate it. I loved the FL personality though.
A very sweet and cozy fantasy! This wasn't like insanely groundbreaking in terms of fantasy, but I don't think it was meant to be. I think it was just supposed to make a reader feel good and it did exactly that. The fantasy elements were nice, but the romance was definitely the star in this. I loved having the queer rep as well and the plus size rep was nice too. Overall, a super fun read!
I believe I chose this book based on it people touted as "cozy" fantasy romance, and it was truly that, but it was also boring. It is very possible that the "cozy" genre is just too low stakes for me, but I also don't think this was that good.

Why it wasn't good:
-flat characters
-no chemistry
-repetitive writing
-worldbuilding is mediocre

There was a lot of potential but unfortunately this book just did not hit the mark for me.