Cover Image: Frost Falls at The Potting Shed

Frost Falls at The Potting Shed

There's not a lot of stories featuring gardener and gardening and this was a lovely surprised. I fell in love with the cover and then fell in love with the well plotted and heartwarming story.
There's some sadness but there's also hope, warm and fun.
 Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher for this arc, all opinions are mine
Frost Falls at the Potting Shed is the start of a brand-new series, The Potting Shed, #1.
I really enjoy gardening and even though it's Fall here in the states and the only gardening I'm currently doing is watering house plants I really enjoyed it.
Maddie Willand and her bossy, older sister Sabi are devastated by the sudden and unexpected death of their father. The Potting Shed was their father's whole life, he put everything he had into it and his daughter Maddie still does as well. Looking at the books after his death she's devastated to learn the shop is badly in the red. Maddie and Sabi are co-owners of the shop but having totally different outlooks on life makes for an incompatible relationship. Maddie is desperate to keep the shop running and honor her father's memory and she plain just loves the shop with all the family memories it holds. Sabi doesn't put any stock into sentimental memories and is ready to sell it out from under Maddie. She even goes as far as making devious plans to try to get it sold. Try as she may to hold onto the shop Maddie knows it may all be futile in the end if something doesn't come up and quickly at that.
This is such a feel-good sentimental journey. It's not only charming but there is a sweet Christmassy vibe intertwined within the pages as well. I loved the descriptions in the potting shed, Christmas trees, mistletoe, poinsettia and hot chocolate. Throw in the distraction of a sweet new romance and what more could you need?
A definite must read!
Yet another fabulous book by Jenny. All of her books have been comfortable and easy reading and this one is no exception.
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is an adorable, heartwarming book. I enjoyed it a lot.
Having enjoyed the Mill Grange series, I was anticipating this new series.  The Potting Shed proved to be a warm, welcoming place, with a strong, family vibe. Of course, some members of the family are not in agreement and an offer from an outside concern causes a rift to emerge between the two sisters, Maddie and Sabi. They have different priorities. Maddie is easy to like. She is hardworking and wears her heart on her sleeve. Sabi, on the other hand, is less sympathetic and appears entitled and a little snobbish. As the story develops, you begin to see a different side to Sabi and to understand why she is behaving as she does.

There is plenty of potential for future stories set in the Potting Shed.  You are introduced to a range of characters who all come over as individuals. Full of the outdoors, Maddie relishes the outdoors, no matter the weather and the stary walks sound amazing. With a love of nature, the Potting Shed seems to bring the best out in people and you sense a community who you may meet in future books, willing Maddie to succeed. This is a warm and entertaining story, set in Winter, with a nod to the festive season.

In short: Take a risk and follow your dream
Favorite Quotes:

Grade-one snob syndrome.

Maddie glared at her houseplant. ‘Comments like that are not helpful.’

My Review:

This was a fun and engaging women’s fiction read featuring sisters at odds over their struggling family business in a small British village.  The characters were well-etched and knowable, while not always likable – like most family members are in real life.  Maddie was an endearing, driven, and lonely soul who not only talked to her plants but held intense conversations and arguments with them.  The storylines were easy to follow, well-paced, and mild enough to recommend to my elderly mother’s church ladies’ book club.

I also gleaned a new addition to my Brit Words and Phrases list with berk, which is British slang for a stupid person.  I have plants of my own to tell this one too.
I was really disappointed with this book. The premise sounded cute, but the story was so boring! I considered DNFing even when I was 70% through, but has already invested enough time- I mostly skimmed the rest. I also didn’t love how “Sabi” (what an annoying nickname for Sabrina) was demanding her sister give up her dream so she could buy a second house. No decent person would think of doing that! I didn’t like that the characters most portrayed as smart, logical and came to the rescue with the sketchy lawyer were both men. That just rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Lastly, and maybe most importantly, this was classified as a romance, which seems completely inaccurate. It should have been classified as women’s fiction if anything. There was not much romance in it, and that part was definitely not the main focus of the story.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me access to this eARC for my honest opinion!
What a treat this was! I love gardening and I really enjoyed the theme mixed in with Christmas.
I loved how your opinion and interpretation of the characters changes throughout the book as the characters grow.
It's a sentimental and heart warming read exploring loss, family relationships and of course a whole load of festive cheer thrown in for good measure. An absolute delight to read!
I really enjoyed this book. It wasn’t my normal read, but I curled up with a cup of tea and it was such an easy read. It was a good solid story for the holiday season.
What a great story! Really enjoyed reading this and couldn’t put it down.
Two sister, Maddie and Sabi, suddenly lose their dad before he changes his will. Instead of the Potting shed, the nursery centre, being left to Maddie and other stuff left to Sabi the old will states it is left to both of them. Maddie and her dad had big plans for the potting shed but when the firm Big, a large garden centre, try to buy them out, Sabi thinks it’s a good idea whereas Maddie wants to keep her and her fathers dream alive. Sabi gives Maddie a month up to Christmas to prove that the business is worth keeping.
A real cosy Christmas book that kept me guessing until virtually the end as to which way this story would go. Looking forward to reading the next 1 in the series
A sweet charming christmas read. The differents storylines intertwine nicely and the characters are very likeable. With the exaption of Sabi. She lacked growth and in the end didn't really learn anything of the whole messy situation.

I got this arc in exchange for an honest review.
Another festive book for you this week, although probably more seasonal than overly Christmassy. I love taking part in these Blog Tours because they introduce me to authors that I haven't read before. Jenny Kane is huge in the cosy romance sector and has published a number of book series already. Frost Falls in the first in her new Potting Shed series.

Maddie Willand has always dreamed of taking over her father's little nursery, The Potting Shed. After his sudden death she is shocked to discover that she has to share the nursery with bossy older sister Sabi Willand-Harris. Sabi doesn't really get her hands dirty and is much more interested in her status as wife to her architect husband, Henry.

Maddie is determined to try and keep the business going even though Sabi is tempted by the purchase offer from BIG - a major garden centre chain. With the money Sabi could buy the house of her dreams but it would mean stomping all over Maddie's hopes and aspirations. Even with the help of Ed, the handsome junior partner at Lyle & Tate solicitors, the future does not look bright.

Frost Falls is a lovely gentle read that explores family dynamics and the relationship between sisters with a little romance thrown in for good measure. It makes you wish that the Potting Shed really existed so that you pop along for your Christmas Tree and Poinsettia and catch up on the gossip with Petra in the shop. Looking forward to the next instalment already.

Supplied by Net Galley and Aria / Head of Zeus in exchange for an honest review.

UK Publication date: Oct 27 2022. 372 pages.
I REALLY enjoyed this story. It has some great characters that are fun to get to know and to follow along with them, and the cast as a whole was really great. I appreciated that there was a couple different topics in here that are not always seen in books: the first I have seen in different ways, but wage bracket differences. In this story we see two different examples. One being someone who has money and still feels the need to have more and more and more at the expense of those around her (and feeling as though she knows what is best for someone who is living in a lower wage bracket than her.) The second is actually someone who is in a lower wage bracket judging another character because they come from a family with money. Very interesting conversations were had!
The second topic was illiteracy. I feel that this is something that is not addressed frequently in stories and it was refreshing to see the representation of it in this story.

While I would not classify this as a Christmas story it certainly takes place around Christmas time. This book has a lot of heart and shows the kindness that can occur between humans. Would read it again as well as more stories by this author!!!

Thank you to Jenny Kane, Aria, and NetGalley for a gifted copy in exchange for an honest review.
A quick, easy read for me, nothing over the top but an enjoyable book.
The first in the Potting Shed series about Maddie and her family, the nursery and a father's death.  You can see normal family events and happenings n this book, how families do and don't get along and how they cope with what life throws at them.

It isn't an exciting or thrilling book but is a good, enjoyable and easy to read book. One that can be read rather quickly and can be enjoyed with a cuppa or a glass of wine.
The Potting Shed has been in the family for years. Maddie helps her father run the business and they are having a family meeting to talk about what is going on with the business. But sadly, before they her dad can change his will. He passes away so unexpectedly and Sabi, Maddie’s sister thinks the best thing they can do is sell the business to a huge nursery business, but Maddie does not want to do that because she loves running the Potting Shed. With the help of workers at the Potting Shed Maddie thinks she can turn the business around before the deadline Sabi has given her.
I enjoyed watching the characters in the book come together and I am looking forward to the next in the The Potting Shed Series.
Thank you NetGalley, Jenny Kane and Aria & Aries for the book Frost Falls at The Potting Shed. This is my personal review.
I would like to thank Aries and Aria publishing for asking me to review this book.
Maddie helps her father run the family plant nursery called The Potting Shed, they have big plans and have a family meeting to discuss things. All seems well until her father unexpectedly passes away before changing his will. Now it looks like Maddie may lose the potting shed.
Sabi, Maddie’s older sister, thinks the best thing would be to sell the potting shed to a big conglomerate garden centre, that have approached her. Sabi is a social climber, who doesn’t really care about what her sister wants.
When Maddie finds out about the conglomerate, she decides to fight for the potting shed and to try and make the changes she and her father wanted. She asks the family lawyer for advice and things brings Ed into her life. With his knowledge and friendship, she maybe able to fight, but she needs to get her sister on side. Can the sisters move past their differences and work together?
This was a great start to a new series, good characters and plot. I enjoyed seeing the growth of Maddie and Sabi, their sister dynamic was well written and thought out. I enjoyed the side characters who added so much to the story, a number of them with their own reasons for coming to the potting shed.
I will definitely be reading the next book when it comes out.
Amazing. This was my first book by this author and I wasn’t sure what I was going to get. To begin with I was really undecided if I was going to enjoy it, initially I found Maddie hard to connect with but as soon as Ed came on the scene I was hooked. Bizarrely all the male characters, Ed, Henry and Jake really resonated with me and I enjoyed reading each of them, each supporting a strong woman and being supported in different ways. I loved the blossoming relationship of Jake and Petra and Maddie and Jake. Seeing a strong and supportive marriage between Henry and Sabi was lovely too.
This was a wonderful Christmas read and beautiful community spirit.
An enjoyable Christmas read. Full of family, fun, friendships and festivities.
I really enjoyed reading this book, following the life of Maddie who is faced with the prospect of losing her home, business & potentially her relationship with her sister, Sabi, as a big garden centre chain threatens to build opposite the small garden centre her father began & where the girls grew up. Thrown into turmoil by the prospect of losing everything she loves, Maddie turns to the family’s solicitor & meets Ed.
The story of the potential relationship between Maddie & Ed, their developing feelings and subsequent mix-ups and misunderstandings add to the enjoyment of this story. Fully-formed believable characters feature within a storyline that kept me interested from start to finish. Peppered with humour & touching moments, this is a perfect book for Christmas.
I really enjoyed this book, it was different but gave a lovely read. There's always a big giant of a company along with a crooked person in their midst. Well worth 5 stars and I recommend this to all.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this ARC
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

For Maddie, The Potting Shed is a really special place, after a sad time, her sister begins to talk and selling it.

But Maddie is determined to prove to her sister Sabi that she’s capable of keeping the business going.

The characters were relatable and grew as the story progressed.

A brilliant start to a new series, I am looking forward to getting to know more about The Willands and their lives.

I highly recommend this book.