Cover Image: Tell Me What Really Happened

Tell Me What Really Happened

*My review will be posted on Instagram within a month of the publish date (slated for 3/21/23); this review will be updated with the appropriate links once live.

I really liked the basis of this book: Different and competing POVs set within a police interrogation... But, it felt very heavy handed to drive home each character's respective tropes. However, the format did make for a really fast read, keeping you hooked and turning pages. It was also very fun trying to guess the twist, and ultimately whodunnit, it was set up really well to mislead you at any given point.

I do think a lot the book moved slowly and a lot of time was spent with characters rehashing the same moments/scenes, which felt repetitive and I was skimming over some pages to get to the point. It did pick up A LOT at around 60% of the way through, with some edge-of-the-seat thrills.

I LOVED the bigfoot representation... My favorite cryptid 😂

Thank you to #NetGalley and SOURCEBOOKS Fire for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Five people go, camping, one is missing, all four remaining have different stories, what is true? What is a lie? How could four different people see four different things!
Maylee, Petra, Nolan, John and Abigail go camping… The only thing most of them have in common is Maylee.
This book is told from the police investigation, and the questions they all answer… I really liked the format, I liked the characters, I could not put this book down.

This is the first book I have red by this author, and it definitely won’t be my last.
Tell me what really happened is a story is told 100% in a police interview format. Where each chapter is a new question from the police and the four teens give their answers. Mallie is missing from a camping trip with her friends, police are trying to determine where she is and if foul play is involved. The interviewees are Petra, Mallies bff high strung type A personality. John, Mallies boyfriend and sidestepper of questions. Nolan, Petra's brother and crypto's enthusiast. Lastly Abigail the new friend. Overall i really enjoyed the format of this book. I thought it was really unique and fun. It made the chapters and story fly by. For the most part this is pretty fast paced, there were some spots in the middle that dragged on a bit for me.
I liked the majority of the story, except the ending of the book for me fell a bit flat. It didn't quite make a lot of sense and just wasn't as satisfying as I hoped.

Thank you to SOURCEBOOKS Fire, Sourcebooks Fire and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this digital arc
I will post my review to Goodreads and Barnesandnoble.com one month prior to the book’s release date, on March 4th, 2023. I will include the Goodreads and Barnesandnoble.com links to my review below. I will submit my review to Amazon.com on the book’s release date, April 4th, 2023. I will include the link to my Amazon review below.

Thank you so much to Sourcebooks Fire and NetGalley for providing me with an advance reader’s copy of this book! It was truly a treat to read.

Hot damn! Tell Me What Really Happened is a masterfully-written novel with lovable, distinct characters and a unique format that makes the story completely captivating.

First of all, it was a fantastic idea to tell this story entirely through police interviews with the characters, and Chelsea Sedoti executed this idea impeccably. I loved how we only heard what the police officers were saying to the characters at the beginning of each chapter, so that when the main characters paused during their monologues, readers could get a sense of what the police officers might be saying to them without having to wade through trivial dialogue.

Also, Sedoti has created a cast of characters that is unforgettable. Each of the four protagonists had a distinct voice and a unique perspective on the world. They felt so real, and I feel that if the characters’ names weren’t written before their dialogue started, I still would’ve been able to differentiate between each of their voices. This quality is very rare in YA literature, especially in YA mysteries, and especially in YA mysteries with four perspectives.

These characters were not only memorable; they were also incredibly endearing. I cared about each of them so much (with the exception of Maylee, and even she was written with nuance and complexity) and I wanted everything to work out for all of them. They were all precious, and were made even more so by their flaws. The earnestness of their young voices as they spoke with the police and the distrust some of them had in the police was realistic, and their naivete and frankness made me laugh out loud.

I was surprised by how funny this book was. I was laughing it up when the characters stated the obvious or were being completely clueless. I loved spending time with Petra, John, Nolan, and Abigail so much that I want to read another book narrated by them right now. I hate that this book had to end, and I dearly miss the characters already.

I can see how a complicated novel like this one would be difficult to plot out, but the plotting of this book was great. The easter eggs that Chelsea Sedoti weaved throughout the story foreshadowed each plot twist perfectly, and the discrepancies in the stories being told by our narrators made me anxious to find out who was telling the truth. The pace of the plot was perfect; I was not bored at any point while reading. I did predict almost all of the plot twists in this book, but I believe that if I had been a younger reader who had not read as many mysteries, I would’ve been shocked by the reveals. However, I do think this novel could have benefited from one extra twist at the end (I have one in mind, and I think the fact that I’m ready to write fanfiction about this book says something about how invested I was while reading it). I love the characters in this story so much that it was enough for me to just enjoy being taken on a ride with them; at a certain point, the plot didn’t even matter to me, if I’m honest.

If you are looking for a funny, compelling mystery with characters whom you will adore, this is the perfect choice for you.
I love books with a murder mystery set in the woods. They can be read at anytime of year, and always be creepy. 5 friends go on a camping trip, and only 4 return. What happened to Maylee, and why? This book was told by the returning 4 in police interviews, which was a cool way to tell the story. I loved watching the pieces come together, and I didn't know what really happened until the final pages. A great thriller for YA, but adults can also read and be sucked into. Thanks to Netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an unbiased review.
I absolutely loved this! Not only did I fly through this book (unheard of for me), but it also kept me on the edge of my toes the whole time. I had my suspicions of who it was, but definitely did not expect it to actually be a chain of events. I found it so so intriguing!

I also loved the concept of how far influencers would go for fame (shown through Maylee); so interesting to see and also thought provoking.

The way that Chelsea Sedoti talked about race through the way John had been treated by both police and peers alike, as well as his town was so sad to see yet also a complete eye opener. I was shocked to see how Andy's mum immediately tried to blame John for driving, and then how she gave a half baked apology after when she had already done the damage. Wow! This definitely opened my eyes a bit more!

Overall this book is one of my favourite reads of the year (and I think of all time). It was so well written!
Thank you to netgalley and sourcebooks fire for allowing me to read this arc in return for an honest review.

I’m a big fan of YA mystery/thrillers, which meant going into this I had pretty high expectations.

The format was a little jarring at first, I’ve never read a book written the way that this one is written, but after a few chapters you easily settle into the rhythm and start to piece together the story.

Friends on a camping trip, one of them goes missing…
Is it something or someone in the woods? Or is it one of them?

The whole premise is intriguing, and I HAD to know what had happened so I sped through this, the writing flows well and you don’t realise you’ve read 100+ pages until it’s dark outside and you’re questioning where the time went.

This story presents itself as a bit of a YA whodunnit but it is so much more than that! It has supernatural aspects, it discusses difficulties of friendships in your teens, online radicalisation and how desperate people are to be “relevant” in todays society and the lengths they will go to maintain popularity.

Overall, this was up there with some of the best YA thrillers I’ve read, the story was interesting and kept you buckled up for the ride the whole way through, the writing flowed brilliantly and was super easy to follow, and the format being a little unorthodox really worked to create a brilliant ya novel. If you liked a good girls guide to murder, one of us is lying or five total strangers you’ll love this one.
I was able to read this because of NetGalley so thank you for the opportunity to review.  Talks about five teens who went camping one weekend and one of the five ended up missing. Just so happens where they went camping has also been in the area where other people have been disappearing. This was such an enjoyable read. Thank you!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of Tell Me What Really Happened in exchange for an honest review!

The book follows five teens who decide on taking a weekend camping trip to Salvation Creek, resulting in one them not making the trip home. The story is told through police interviews with each of the remaining teens, to describe the events that took place leading up to Maylee’s death. Each of these chapters was told through alternating perspectives of these characters. I’ll admit, I felt intrigued by this concept and liked the idea going into the book of having the story told through different eyes. I really wish I had enjoyed it more. I felt as though I was being told the same information repeatedly by different characters, without providing anything new to support the story. I’m not opposed to reading a story told from different perspectives but I think over the course of this book, it became a bit much. The different narrators started blending together and it became confusing to follow.

I also felt that most of the characters were unlikeable. I wasn’t too big a fan of Maylee, and found her to be a bully and manipulative to those she was close to. Abigail was the only character I somewhat felt a connection to as she seemed like a genuinely nice person, apart from assisting Maylee in her plan to fake her own disappearance. Nolan’s obsession with Bigfoot was where I felt myself losing interest in the story as a whole, although it does play a key role towards the end of the book.  I felt impartial about the other two characters in this story, as they provided a way for the story to play out, without me caring too much for them.

I will say that this was a very quick read and I did find myself flying through the pages to see what would happen next. Overall, I just wish there was more to love and I felt as though the story fell flat as everything was wrapping up.
Compelling, but ultimately not my cup of tea. I couldn’t connect with the characters and I didn’t like the present tense in the beginning so I found it hard to dive in.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I don’t usually like multiple points of view; I’ve read too many books by authors who confuse the readers, but in this case, once I actually got into the storyline, it became easier to follow.

Five highschoolers go into the woods to go camping, four come out. The book is written from four perspectives, the four  students who didn’t go missing. They’re being interviewed by the police, so each chapter starts with a question by the police, then the answers from all four characters.

What I liked most about the book was the development of the characters through the interviews. Learning how each kid viewed the others was fascinating. I think the wrap-up left a little to be desired, I almost feel as though we needed a sentence that said, “So-and-so did it.” I feel as though it wasn’t fully resolved..
The blurb of this one really had me hooked and I loved the way in which it was narrated via police interview transcripts with a group of teen friends following one of their number being murdered.
It was good to be able to piece the story together before the conclusion through their testimony - really clever.
Really enjoyed this one.
This book was good. I enjoyed the plot and characters as well as the storyline! A solid 4 star read.
This one was fast paced and had an interesting approach to story telling. I found it interesting and unique how the whole story was the interrogations of the friends. At the same time, I also felt this caused details to be missing that could have made the story more engaging. I also found the whole Bigfoot storyline and obsession to be odd and focused on too much.
The summary of this book hooked me right away, and I was so interested in the format - a story totally told through interview transcripts with teens after a member of their group was found murdered. The way the interviews were interwoven allows the readers to piece things together before information is revealed. I think the execution here is so brilliant. The characters, however, is where the story is lacking a bit. We don't really get a sense for motivations - but on the other hand, we're missing the perspective of the dead person and we're only getting the information they say out loud.  It's definitely interesting!!
Im going to start by saying - I love the concept for this one, the idea of a story told completely through police interviews? Unique and quirky.

I enjoyed it. There were parts that were certainly a little bit out there, and I think you have to keep an open mind with them, well, unless you believe, then I guess it makes sense to you.

The twists and turns were fun, I didn't guess where it was going until they spelled it out - and that's always a delight.

Solid 3.5 stars and worth a read if you like a modern mystery with an original format!
What an absolute snack of a YA thriller. I freaking love the unreliable narrator trope in certain settings and this was one of them. I love a good interrogation and I’m willing to relax the accuracy in a YA novel.

I really liked everyone and was rooting for each for different reasons and I thought the characters were each well developed and easy to get on board with.

Just pure highschool drama with a dose of murder (maybe?) 🤫
This was fun for the most part. The plot was interesting, distinctive characters, I liked the mystery, and the format helped get through the book quicker.
I want to thank Chelsea Sedoti and Sourcefire books for an ARC of this book.

We enter a unique storytelling world in "Tell Me What Really Happened.' You have four high schoolers: Petra and Nolan (step-siblings), John, and Abigail. They are all speaking in first-person police interviews about the disappearance of their common friend (well, not really Nolan, but the other three for sure) Maylee.

I thought this was fast paced, the multi-povs happen within each chapter, which makes the dialogue snappy and quick. However, this also leaves some bits and pieces of the book to our imagination, which some readers can enjoy, but I personally like everything to be wrapped up explicitly in my standalone thriller/mystery books.

Each one of our four high schoolers has a unique perspective on Maylee and each bring a different history. You never know what they truly believe and what's a lie. I was kept on my toes the entire time and would highly recommend this book if you're looking to get out of a thriller slump. With the unique formatting, fast paced storytelling, and the four completely different personalities we me, it was an enjoyable read.
I hate when books are told in interviews format. It just a format that doesn’t work for me. I think it is because it is hard for me to keep up with what is happening. And unfortunately for me, this book was written like that. I would have liked this book so much better if it wasn’t written like that. But I had to stop reading because I just couldn’t stand it.