Cover Image: Starry Night

Starry Night

Really really loved this.  Being able to see all of Vincent Van Gogh's art.

thank you so much netgalley for the arc of this book.
Well written and full of empathy towards Van Gogh and his illness as well as insight into his relationship with his brother Theo. His art continues to astonish and demonstrate his connection to nature and the world around him.
The file is unviewable, streched in all wrong places and I can't compromise it given it's a book on art and pictures are very important.
I have contacted NetGalley for this, no changes. I'm sorry to leave this as the review but otherwise it affect my score. If book file is fixed and I'll get notification about and then a chance to download - I will fix the review.
Thank you.
Stunning! I’ve always been a Van Gogh fan but this book showed me so much more than I knew. Perfect gift for any art lover.
I thought that this was a really informative book

I love Van Gogh’s artist style and unique way of painting and bringing his images to life.

I think most people that have any bit of knowledge of him will know that he suffered an episode where he chopped off his ear but this book delves into what happened after that.

He was in an asylum for just over 12 months and the book chronicles what happened during that time.  He had further mental health episodes but most remarkable for me was the sheer volume of illustrations and paintings that he produced when he was away.

The book is easy to read and I loved the additions of the images that he painted whilst he was being looked after.  I thought that it was a fascinating book.

It is 5 stars from me for this one – very highly recommended
This was a great read that I really enjoyed reading. I loved the amount of pictures in this book showing the development of Van Gogh's work during this short period of his life. This included the very famous piece starry night. The author wrote a very fascinating section on what happened to his pen version of this amazing picture during the second World War. It was amazing to see the painter did 2 copies of most paintings especially when he ran out of canvas it was fantastic comparing the differences between the two. This book missed out on the 5th star as there was some repetition of words that started to grate on me causing it to feel slightly disjointed at times but I am still so very glad to have read this book. It is obvious that the author knows lots about this painter and the book was obviously well researched. I had also read the other book by this author dealing with the lead up to his stay in the asylum and his death after his stay there which I definitely suggest to give a read. If you love Van Gogh's art work I definitely recommend you read this book.

So much praise goes out to the author and publishers for bringing us this very interesting book that I struggled to put down. I definitely read it all in one day. I will be looking out for more books by this great author.

The above review has already been placed on goodreads, waterstones, Google books, Barnes&noble, kobo, amazon UK where found and my blog today https://ladyreading365.wixsite.com/website/post/starry-night-van-gogh-at-the-asylum-by-martin-bailey-quarto-4-stars either under my name or ladyreading365
Great for fans of Van High’s art. You are sure to learn something new about him and his time in a mental health facility. The artworks are beautiful and there’s a great deal of them featured in the book.
I received an advanced  copy of this book from Net Galley. The book was interesting  and kept the readers attention. Provided a lot of material on Van Gogh I did not know. The images in the book were interesting showing how pictures were created. Great read for anyone interested in Van Gough
This book covers Vincent Van Gogh’s time at the St Paul asylum in Provence. A remarkable amount of work was produced in his just over a year stay including his most famous painting Starry Night. Detailing his health, his work and more, this is an informative read with wonderful illustrations.
Huge thank you to netgalley. Martin Bailey and Quarto for sending this e-book for review.
As a Van Gogh fan, I really was intrigued and impressed by this volume of Van Goghs paintings, while he was at Saint-Paul-du-Mansole ( Saint Remy). After slicing off his ear, he had many breakdowns, landing him for stays at Saint Remy. He used his time and the viewsfrom Saint Remy as subjects to paint. What makes this book so interesting is seeing the images in color, for the first time, and the test that accompany each image. The image and text, together, help explain his mental condition and how Van Gogh used this to further his abilities, his  use of brush strokes and the colors he chose to use. I totally enjoyed reading this. The history of "Starry Night" and "Almond Blossoms" are captivating, This is a must read for any Van Gogh appreciator, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an intriguing read.
Starry Night, Martin Bailey, 9/8/2022

This brilliantly researched and fully illustrated book is written about the asylum period of Vincent Van Gogh’s life.  Van Gogh spent May 1889 – May 1890 at the asylum Saint-Paul de Mausole located in Saint-Remy de Provence.  Van Gogh was known to have untreated “episodes” of debilitating auditory hallucinations.  These episodes were so disabling that he cut off one of his ears while afflicted.

Even with his ongoing mental illness, Van Gogh was lucid three-fourths of his time in the asylum.  He spent this time painting in an area devoid of other patients painting as a method of coping with the hellish atmosphere in which he lived.  Over 150 paintings, including many of his masterpieces, were created during his year in Saint Remy.

Bailey’s in depth research yields never-before-seen medical and other background documents, personal letters, and photographs of the hospital area at that time period. I appreciate this new material as it separates this book from others on the asylum year.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes impressionism, art history, or Van Gogh in particular.  I will be acquiring a paper copy to better appreciate the details of the illustrations.

Thank you to the author, Martin Bailey, Quarto Publishing Group, and NetGalley for the opportunity to review this ARC.  All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.
From May 8 to May 16, 1890, Vincent Van Gogh resided in the Saint-Paul-de-Mausole asylum, which is located close to Saint-Remy-de-Provence. After mutilating his ear, the horrible incident that put a stop to his collaboration with Paul Gaugin in their studio of the South in neighboring Arles, the artist withdrew to this secluded retreat.

This is excellent work. Every biography writer should take this book as an example. Martin Bailey provides a thorough analysis of this significant period in Van Gogh's life. The artist produced over 150 works of art during his stay. The author not only talks about the artist's works but also gives information about the undiagnosed mental and/or physical diseases that guide the artist's life and artistic life. We also learn about the conditions of people who stayed in mental hospitals at the end of the 19th century.

The fact that the book is divided into chapters with a successful systematic makes it easier to read. Letters, paintings, drawings, Van Gogh Museum’s archival documents, posters, postcards, photographs first published taken by the author, and rare and never seen before documents that are used in the book make this reading extremely captivating.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion for providing an ARC of this book to review.
A perfect book for those wanting to know more about Vincent Van Gogh, his life and his art. Despite many people knowing that Van Gogh spent time (a year) in an asylum, not much information has been made available  about this time. The author works to correct this with extensive research. Starting with Van Gogh’s life, and the reason he ended up at the asylum, and continuing on with his works while he was there.

Starry night (although the artist never referee to his painting as such) was painted during Van Gogh’s stay in San Remy. There is a very brief chapter dedicated to this painting alone, which may be the lure for most readers, especially those who are only familiar with this paining (and maybe Sunflowers). This particular chapter reveals fascinating insights about this work. Because of the extensive research of the author, we can see how another painting he was working on at the same time influenced this one. We also learn that while many of Van Gogh’s paintings were done at the time of the scene, this one was not, and creative liberties were taken.

While the full title of the book makes it clear this book is not exclusively about Starry Night, I can see some readers only focusing on their and being disappointed that it is not. However, hopefully they stick with the book, to see many other works, photographs, artifacts etc. They will also learn a great deal about the life of the artist, giving these works context.
I am obsessed with two things: book and art. So I welcome any combination of the two. I will be honest - Van Gogh was never my favorite, though I of course can recognize Starry Night anywhere. I ended up being fascinated with the information contained in these pages and could not get enough of it. My new favorite painting is Rest (after Millet). Bravo and Well done!
There has always been an interesting conflict when it comes to Vincent Van Gogh; of all the famous painters, it seems to be the hardest with him to separate the art from the artist. Then again, is there really any separation?

Still this book talks about a period of his life that greatly shaped Van Gogh and should serve as an interesting look at the man and the artist.
I get sent most of my review copies as digital versions and for the most part I do prefer that as otherwise I would slowly get buried under a mountain of paper. As soon as I started reading Starry Night I really wanted a hard copy of the book. The photographs and the paintings just don’t get the attention that they deserve if you aren’t physically holding the pages in your hand and this is a book that deserves close inspection.

Bailey has chosen to detail Van Gogh’s time at the asylum in Saint-Remy with beautifully detailed descriptions of the period when he created some of his best known masterpieces. The book covers how he came to be there and the inspiration that he found in the location that helped him to develop some of the most famous canvases in the world, including the cypresses, wheat-fields, olive groves and sunsets that became central to the Van Gogh style. Although he wrote prolifically to his brother Theo these letters barely touched on his time here so it is fascinating to get a feel for his struggles during this period.

For me the quality of the additional illustrations are what makes this book much more interesting than others that I have read on the subject. It becomes a social history of a French psychiatric institution of the time including early photographs of the area and a plethora of back up material that is compulsive reading for any Van Gogh fan. Even if you only really like MOMA’s “Starry Night” or have been exposed to Van Gogh via the classic “Vincent and the Doctor” episode of Doctor Who (Season 5 Episode 10) there is plenty in here to pique your interest and keep you reading. I’ll be adding the physical book to my Christmas wish list. It is a must have for anyone interested in Impressionist art.

Supplied by Net Galley and Quarto Publishing Group, Frances Lincoln in exchange for an honest review.

UK publication Date: Aug 2 2022. 224 pages.
“I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.” - Vincent Van Gogh

My thanks to Quarto Books White Lion Frances Lincoln for a temporary digital review copy of ‘Starry Night: Van Gogh at the Asylum’ by Martin Bailey.

This is an account of Vincent Van Gogh's one year stay at the asylum of Saint-Paul-de-Mausole in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence during which he painted some of his most iconic works. These masterpieces were produced despite Van Gogh dealing with the challenges of his ill health and the institutionalised life at the asylum.

Martin Bailey is an art journalist and a Van Gogh specialist. He examines the crises that caused Van Gogh to admit himself to the asylum and the creative inspiration he found during his year there. Bailey notes that the isolation assisted Van Gogh to develop his idiosyncratic style as he was away from other influences and artists.

This lavish book provides images and details of many paintings that van Gogh produced while there. Many of these were new to me. Its chapters are organised by the themes that Van Gogh painted including cypresses, wheatfields, olive groves, almond blossoms, sunsets, and of course the night sky.

While Van Gogh wrote little about the asylum in letters to his brother Theo, Bailey seeks so provide an impression of daily life behind the walls of the asylum during this period, incorporating newly discovered material. It appears that the asylum itself was quite progressive in its attitudes and treatment methods including a garden and encouraging nature walks

Although I knew some details of Vincent Van Gogh’s life, I was unaware that he had painted so many pieces, including ‘Starry Night’, while an in-patient.

Martin Bailey is clearly dedicated to his subject and an art history detective. I was interested in his account of tracking down a lost case of Van Gogh’s art that had been transported to Russia after World War II and since ‘disappeared’. Following the main text is a chronology, endnotes, a select bibliography, an index, and picture credits.

Overall, a beautifully presented and fascinating book that expands on the life and work of this iconic artist.
I love Van Gogh’s paintings and have been lucky enough to see so many of his works in person, including the focus of this book, Starry Night. This book by Martin Bailey covers Vincent’s time at the asylum in Saint-Rèmy-de-Provence. While there Van Gogh painted many of the landscapes we are so familiar with including irises, almond trees, cypress tress, the fields, and Starry Night. Martin Bailey provides an extremely well researched narrative of Vincent’s experience and works from this time period. This book is filled with beautiful full color images of Vincent’s paintings as well as artifacts from the time period. This is not a book to be casually flipped through, but is meant for someone truly interested in Vincent’s life. I particularly found the story of the Russian soldier finding the Starry Night sketches in WWII and taking them back to the Soviet Union where they remain to this day to be extremely fascinating.
Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion, Frances Lincoln, and NetGalley for the ARC.
I am having trouble with my computer-here is the link to my goodreads review.
Martin Bailey has another in his series of books covering the life of Vincent Van Gogh.  This one focuses on this Van Gogh’s one year at the Asylum in Saint-Remy.  The book is well researched and written for people who have more than a casual interest in Van Gogh’s life and art.  As in the other books by the author he includes much of Van Gogh’s own words.  He was a prolific writer to his brother and other family members.  There are photos of the asylum and discussions of where he roomed, conditions and his views.  I was fascinated to learn that they have now identified names of many people that were also patients at the time.  Additionally many of their medical conditions and can be matched them to descriptions written by Van Gogh himself.

The art he creates during this time is extremely important and the colorful photographs of his paintings are wonderful.  There are photos of cypress trees and olive groves along with how Van Gogh saw and painted them.  A whole chapter is focused on one of his iconic works Starry Starry Night.  Researchers have gone so far as to recreate the nights sky in planetariums for the two days he spent painting his masterpiece.  (He painted during the day from memory.)  He paints self portraits because he lacks other models and they show him to be healthy.  In one short two month period he paints 60 works.  The stunning Almond Blossom (which I just complete in jigsaw puzzle form) is painted as a gift to newborn nephew Vincent.  The book gives additional information about what become of the asylum after Vincent’s time there.  It is a prison camp during WWI an asylum again and now an asylum museum.  (Yup, on my list of places to visit.)

This book seems to be a reprint from 2018 and I don’t know if it has been updated or changed from the original publication.  I’ve read and enjoyed the authors books, Studio of the South: Van Gogh in Provence and Van Gogh’s Finale: Auvers and the Artist’s Rise to Fame.  This book and series would be a welcome addition to anyone interested in Van Gogh and his works.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion for a temporary ARC in exchange for an honest review.