Cover Image: Her Bleeding Heart (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 16)

Her Bleeding Heart (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 16)

It seems unbelievable that this is the sixteenth book in this series featuring Detectives Dave Kane and Jenna Alton who reside in Black Water Falls in Montana.  The weather is horrendous there at the moment as they are enduring flooding and landslides.  Jenna and Dave are called out to investigate the discovery of a young’s woman’s body by a forest ranger. There is no evidence of injuries so Jenna suspects it was due to natural causes until she finds a playing card tucked away on her body.  When another woman’s body is found in a car and she also had a playing card on her they begin to realise that they are dealing with a serial killer.  A landslide causes the town to be cut off and a Jenna is convinced that their serial killer has been wanted by the FBI for over ten years.  This was a fast paced and gripping read as this case is a difficult one to solve with so many unexplained twists and turns.  Another winning book in this series.  I can’t wait for book number seventeen.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book,
Such a good read! I love this series but this one was even more gripping than usual. and some really good twists. Can't wait for the next case.
For some reason, this book took me a while to get into. Normally I am hooked from the moment I start one of these books but I don’t know what my issue was this time. The story with the killer grips you from the beginning and you continue throughout the book wondering if they will catch the person or persons. The team is having problems as well with the rain and mudslides which is making evidence collecting difficult. This really adds to the story and leads you up to the end which has a small twist. Overall a good book with the same characters as in the other books.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the eARC.  I am voluntarily reviewing this book.  This is the 16th in a series, I have read some but not all.  I believe that it reads fairly well as a stand alone.  This one is complicated and wild.  Such a small place and it attracts serial killers,,wild.  Fast, suspenseful read.  I love the main characters.  They are flawed and so interesting.  4 stars
I really like this series. It’s always a nice easy read but with a thrilling murder and a team of great characters. I’m not going to lie, I still find Jenna a little bit annoying and her severe jealousy in this book seemed unwarranted once a certain issue was resolved. That being said I still enjoy the disturbing serial killers that come to Black Rock Falls and the twist in the case makes me excited for the next addition.

I received a copy of the ebook via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Her Bleeding heart wasn't what I was expecting at all, when I read a few chapters into the book, I knew deep down I was going to enjoy it all the way through and not be disappointed with it at all, and boy I wasn't disappointed at all.
It was a very easy book to read and I couldn't complain about it at all, the plot, the characters, everything about this book made it amazing.
I do recommend this book to be added to you TBR piles as it is a really easy book to read and I just couldn't fault it at all.

Thank you netgallery for allowing me to read this book I really enjoyed it from start to finish.
I have shared my review on my good reads page and my Instagram page.
This is one of my favourite series so am always happy to be reunited with the team of Black Rock Falls and as ever book 16 is a belter!

I always anticipate a few late nights when a new Kane and Alton book is published but it's always worth it as I literally absorb myself into the drama and find it hard to disconnect.

Another captivating read that wholly deserves its five stars!! Next Please!
SENSATIONAL police procedural with great characters, tons of suspense along with terrific finales.  RECOMMEND the whole series highly.  Kudos to a superior author, who has become one of my favorites. Thanks to #NetGalley #Bookouture for this ARC in return for my honest review.
Another wonderfully gripping, addictive and enthralling read from this incredible author who delivers consistently book after book. Love this series. It  is one of the beat out there. Just wow.
I love when a new book of Jenna and Kane come out but I also get sad because we are on boom 16 and I know it's almost over 😭😭.

I love going to Black Rock Falls and reading about the new crazy adventures Jenna and her team are on. I realized during this book I see their house as the ranch in Heartland 😂 but more tree coverage.

This one was a crazy ride. Wondering if we will see who the other killer actually is 😱 pretty sure none of these books have had a killer get away.
It’s stormy in Black Rock Falls and I’m not just talking about Mother Nature’s influence!! There’s a killer on the loose so it’s another dark case for the Sheriff and her deputies. But Mother Nature isn’t going to make it easy for the team with lightning strikes, mudslides and flooding hitting this Montana town.

As I got to know the killer, the more I was repulsed. The cold hearted selfish logic to the killings. Don’t get me wrong, I rarely agree with a killer’s motive but this one is just cold, as cold as Black Rock Falls in winter!!

But Hood threw a curveball late on in this book. A total sucker punch that I didn’t see coming. As I read the events that led to this knockout, my jaw was practically on my chest. I’d really like to see that curveball develop further Ms Hood …. Pretty please!!!!

Having been with Kane and Alton from the beginning, I have run out of new things to say about this series. I love this series, the investigations are fast paced, I’m involve in the team’s daily lives and each time, Hood surprises me with a new despicable killer. If you love your dark and twisted crime thrillers, this series is for you!
OH MY DAYS WHAT A BOOK!!

End of review!! Seriously, this one is by far my favourite in the series! There is so much going on but I can’t tell you about it because it would 100% SPOIL everything! But it’s safe to say there is a never dull moment in Black Rock Falls, if this book is anything to go by we have a LOT more to come our way and I think for the first time I fear for Jenna.

This book is non-stop, from a prologue of a terrifying murder to making you doubt everyone you speak to. To Kane being struck by lightning, moving on to Poppy, god that woman! She had her chance in my eyes and now, she’s totally blown it but I fear something is brewing with her and that worries me! Plus to more and more and more!

Honestly, there is so much going on in this book, that for a change it’s not just a straightforward serial killer central book and I LOVED it!! How Ms Hood kept up with everything I will never know but it’s definitely leading to some exciting (if that’s the right word for it) times!

I can’t wait for the next book! I really can’t, it has everything and so much more this time. Dramas, love, loss, thrill and of course deaths and more drama! It was riveting stuff completely, I was hooked by this book and had no intention of stopping my read until I had finished it, audiobook and ebook! I love this series and if this book has taught me anything, it’s about to get darker and it has no intention of slowing down!
This is book 16 in the Detectives Kane and Alton series, and the first one I have read. I think not having read the previous books set me as a disadvantage - there is a LOT of history between Jenna and Kane, and the rest of the characters. There were moments I was confused or felt frustrated with the characters but if I had read the previous books I think I would have a better perspective. There is a lot going on in this book, between Kane’s amnesia and the serial killer case they are solving. It is chock full of plot and activity - but the writing is on the drier side so doesn’t read as overly dramatic. This was an entertaining read! Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to provide my honest review.
What a great story this was. Even though it's a series the story stood alone. I've not read the others as this is the first time discovering this author for me. I may have missed character growth and history but the crime happening caused all those small details to fade away. I thought hmm we know whodunnit and why but the author threw in this awesome twist that had me glued to my kindle.
This was a fantastic serial killer drama, was it greed or a thrill or both, how dangerous would that be?
Well rounded characters, I really liked this team and intend to go back and discover their beginnings.
Terrific and entertaining story, I highly recommend it.
A lightning strike . . . Four years lost,
Memories gone . . . What's the cost?
He's married . . . but doesn't know his wife!
What's been happening in his life?

The pace keeps up from a stormy start,
As a killer tags his victim with the jack of hearts.
Detectives Kane and Alton have to find the killer
In this intriguing read which is definitely a chiller.

With storms, mudslides, floods and danger,
Murder, mystery and something stranger.
This is another enthralling read with twists galore
As well as folks out for revenge to even the score.

An enthralling murder crime thriller
Complete with more than one serial killer.
A real page turner in which to engage
Right to the end of the very last page!

For my complementary copy of this book, I say thank you,
I couldn't put it down and this is my honest review.
Her Bleeding Heart is the sixteenth book in the police procedural series featuring Detectives David Kane and Jenna Alton. I picked up this series with Whisper in the Night (book 6) and I also thoroughly enjoyed books seven through to fifteen.

So I'm back in Black Rock Falls, Montana, with Sheriff Jenna Alton who makes a very amenable and winsome detective. Jenna has a good team to handle crime in the small town, which has certainly seen more than its fair share of murders! Her husband, and deputy, David Kane is a former Special Forces marksman with exceptional profiling skills. In this instalment, a dead young woman has a jack of hearts card tucked into her clothing, found at Sring Falls Lake and then another victim is found in a car, strangled, also with a playing card on her person. With torrential downpours and thunderstorms to contend with, Dave is experiencing memory difficulties, and Forensic Scientist, Shane Wolfe is around; he is a Medical Examiner with amazing computer skills. Deputies, Zac Rio and Jake Rowley are on hand, as well as FBI Agents, Carter and Jo Wells.

This was fast-paced, well-balanced, electrifying and gritty just as I knew it would be. It had me glued to the pages and I didn't want to put it down as I was desperate to know the outcome of the story. The tension snowballed as D.K. Hood lobbed in some captivating misdirection. The writing flowed effortlessly in a story rich in drama. You could read Her Bleeding Heart as a standalone... but you'll be missing out so much if you don't read some of the other instalments as well. I will be seeking out the first five instalments of this masterful series when I get the chance. A brilliant, compelling, pulse-pounding and very highly recommended crime-thriller.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
OMG DK HOOD IS A CRIME WRITING GENUIS!!!

Book 16 in the Kane and Alton series hasn't let me down at all!!! When a local rich lady is found dead Jenna and her sheriff's department are on the case. But with Dave experiencing amnesia and Jenna worried she's lost him all over again her mind is struggling to keep her mind on the case. Have they got another serial killer in town......

Well I honestly cannot put into words how crazy this instalment was, as we always get to read the POV of Jenna, Kane and the killer. I actually loved the back and forth between Jenna and Dave in this book sometimes I feel it’s too much Jenna but no it felt just right, especially with how the first few chapters of the book go. I always find that with their points of view, although often so serious they can have thoughts that are so funny I can’t help laughing. Kane had a few of those moments in this book. I loved following the cases although the motives were made clear early on the killer remained a complete mystery to me until the very end.

The descriptions as always left me feeling like I was there myself. Jenna feels throughout like someone is watching her and let’s be honest when she has a hunch, she should probably stick to it. So every time she looks over her shoulder or even just feels something, I found myself feeling something as well. Therefore 16 books in I keep coming back not many authors can write like this and make you feel like it’s the first book of theirs you’ve ever read because it’s just so genius and you thought they reached genius previously. Anyway, this has to be my favourite because when I saw twist I think I mean grenade and that’s all I will say about that.

The story line is quite good rich single women killed and robbed left in remote places, question is by who and why? The police procedure as always is superb and it’s always fun when Jo and Cater pop in town to lend a hand. Question is who are they looking for and why does it become an FBI matter? Well read the book and find out.

If you read this review and think I would give anything less than 5 stars then I  haven’t sold my undying love properly to you. This is my all time favourite series combined i have rated all 18 books (2 are .5 additions in the series) 88/90 which is on average 4.88 stars like come on, I LOVE IT!! So yes you can pick this book up and read it as a stand alone but let me save you time from wishing you started with book one, start with book 1!! Her bleeding heart took me on an emotional journey with Kane and Jenna, also a bit of a thriller with the description and narrating as well as so many twists and turns I decided everyone was the killer :D EASY 5 STARS.

Thank you Netgalley, Bookouture and DK Hood for allowing me an digital ARC in exchange for my fair and honest opinions and they are bring on book 17!
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'Her Bleeding Heart' by DK Hood.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for DK Hood, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 12th September 2022.

This is the fifth book I have read by this author. It is also the sixteenth book in the 'Detective Kane and Alton' series but can be read as a standalone. I have previously read 'Cross My Heart' (book 12 in the series), 'Fallen Angel' (book 13 in the series), 'Don't Look Back (book 13.5 in the series), ' Pray For Mercy '(book 14 in the series) and' Kiss Her Goodnight' (book 15 in this series) and I highly recommend them all.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that 'If you’re a fan of Lisa Regan, Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot you will be hooked by this gripping and addictive crime thriller from USA Today bestselling author D.K. Hood.' I am a huge fan of all three of those authors so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I am also a huge fan of DK Hood and if this is half as good as 'Cross My Heart', 'Don't Look Back', 'Pray For Mercy', 'Kiss Her Goodnight', and 'Fallen Angel' it is sure to be a page turning read. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue, 39 chapters and an epilogue. The chapters are  medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is set in Montana, USA 🇺🇸.

This book is written in third person perspective and the main protagonists are Sheriff Jenna Alton and Detective David Kane along with the perp, Poppy Anderson . The benefits of third person perspective with multiple protagonists are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

OMG!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS BOOK!!! D.K HOOD you just keep getting better and better!!!

This book is fantastically written and had me hooked from the first page until the last. DK Hood way of writing is perfectly evocative and she has such a creative imagination!! The descriptions were so vivid and realistic I felt myself feeling the cold and damp and reaching for a blanket to warm me up. This has got to be one of the best storylines I have ever read!!!! OMG the suspense, especially during a certain event left me with my heart in my throat!! Needless to say I absolutely LOVED the storyline. This book is absolutely perfect for any crime lovers as you are literally reading about crime, secrets and murder!!! It just does not get better than that!!! Just seriously, I cannot say how brilliant all this book was!!! The storyline is packed with tension, suspense, murder, tension and filled with twists and turns. My heart was absolutely in my throat during one part of this book and it really is scary how easily it happened and how much power they had over her.... Yep that's all I'm saying 😉 Get reading folks!! D.K Hood has obviously done her research on police procedurals which is yet another bonus as I've read many crime novels where the authors make massive mistakes due to not doing enough research. I am very excited about the challenge that Jenna will be up against with a certain someone. I must say though that considering what this someone does I am questioning myself if I really want her to catch them. It really is thought provoking. I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for future readers so you'll just have to read it yourself!  Jenna will also most definitely have another story to tell her grandchildren, it made me laugh out loud!!! This is an absolutely unputdownable page turner and I cannot wait to read the previous and future books in what is promising to be an addictive series.

Although this is the sixteenth book in the series I had absolutely no problems reading it without the others. Any details or events that have previously happened are mentioned in just the right amount of detail to let a new reader know what has happened and yet not too much to bore a previous reader.

I absolutely LOVED meeting the characters again and they are all realistic and I became completely invested in them. They have become like friends to me that I look forward to meeting every time I open the pages of any books in this absolutely gripping series!! I love that Jenna is such a strong female lead that has history and has been through so much but doesn't cower and stands strong. I have enjoyed watching her relationship with Kane and I am looking forward to going back to how they met and moving forward to seeing how they got to where they were when I started this epic series. Kane is another fantastic character that I became invested in and I adore how protective of Jenna he is. The team dynamics work well and I also enjoyed getting to know more about Rio, Wolfe and Rowley and I look forward to meeting them all again. I must say my favourite had to be Duke though!!!! Duke has become an absolutely fantastic addition, I just love it when pets play such large parts in books. The only person I have never been a fan of is Poppy and all I'm saying is thank God something happened ... I know how annoyingly vague that is but I don't want to give anything away so to find out what I mean you'll just have to get your copy of this amazing book. Regardless of whether you love or hate any of the characters they all work perfectly to make this storyline an absolutely addictive, explosive page turner!!! The majority of the characters have become like friends to me and I'm always sad to say goodbye never knowing when I'll "see" them again so I really hope the next book is being written as I speak. Hint hunt 😉 DK Hood!!!

Congratulations D.K Hood on what promises to be a huge success!!! Very rarely an authors books get better but you have certainly mastered it!!! I cannot wait to get stuck into more of your books and this is exactly why you are one my favourite crime authors!!!

This book is definitely in my top 10 and considering I've read 1000's this is a HUGE achievement!!! This series is also in my top 5 ♥

Do not start this until you have cleared yours schedules as you will not be able to put it down!!

Overall an absolutely addictive, heart racing and unputdownable crime thriller that will keep you up all night.

Genres covered in this novel include Crime Thriller, Police Procedural, Suspense, Mystery, Thriller, Noir Fiction and Crime Fiction amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Lisa Regan, Melinda Leigh, Angela Marsons, Carol Wyer, Kendra Elliot and anyone looking for a gripping page turner .

318 pages.

This book is just £2.99 to purchase on kindle and £7.99 to purchase on paperback via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#HerBleedingHeart #Bookouture  #DKHood #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@DKHood @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Rain, rain, rain,… amnesia, and then a dead body found of a woman.
At first glance it looks like an accident until a playing card is found tucked in between her clothes. Jenna, Kane and the rest of team start looking into her movements, and then a 2nd body is found the only thing that is the same is the playing card. Are they dealing with a notorious killer that has even the FBI running in circles?
As always you want to read it in one breath! Looking forward to the next one.
This is a great series and I really enjoy all the story lines and the crimes that are solved. Reckon we will see more of this killer.