Cover Image: Before Your Memory Fades

Before Your Memory Fades

I fell in love with Before the Coffee Gets Cold and have anxiously awaited each new installment. Before Your Memory Fades keeps the reader in touch with the cafe regulars, including Nagare and Kazu, and introduces several new characters. all of whom have poignant reasons for traveling in time. The main message is about the key to happiness and finding ways to move forward even when life doesn't turn out how you planned it to be. Don't let this book fool you, It will break your heart and stay with your for quite a long time Before Your Memory Fades. Perhaps this is what Kawaguchi is trying to achieve with his novel. Long after you turn the last page, you will still be haunted by it.
The 3rd book in the Before The Coffee Gets Cold series contains 4 more stories from the time traveling cafe but, this time its a different cafe. Same rules, same family, different location.

I felt that this isn't as well translated as the previous titles and its going to be much harder for westerners to identify with the emotions of the story. Which is perfectly fine because this is a Japanese stories and Japanese writers don't need to cater to the western world. I just feel like a western audience is going to unfairly judge this book because it doesn't fit their expectations of how people should feel.

Overall I enjoyed this look into a different culture and I cried a lot. Recommend if you understand what you're getting isn't from a western lens.
I'm so glad I was approved for an arc of Before Your Memory Fades!
I throughly enjoyed it and loved reading the short stories.
More of a 3.5 but I'm rounding up to 4 because I really do love this series and think that the messages behind all of these tiny stories are important. That being said... this installment was SO repetitive. I don't remember the other two being quite so annoying with how often they acknowledged the rules for going back in time. I think the rules were mentioned AT LEAST twice per story (bringing it to 8+ times in a 222 page book... which is far too many times).

I also think the stories this time around didn't really pull me in like the other two books did. Other than the final section, I didn't really care about any of the characters or their reasoning for going back/forward in time. That final story though... I will admit that I cried in the last two pages because WOW.

Overall, I want all of these books for my physical collection, and this one is no exception. It just will not be as high on my list of re-reads.
*I received a copy of this book on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for this opportunity*

The latest installments of the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series by Tosikazu Kawaguchi, this story continues the tradition of gentle, purposeful stories meant to inspire reflection in the reader. As with the previous books, the writing style (or perhaps the intention behind the writing style) is stalted and perhaps overly repative-- which is probably a result of it being a translated work.

This book is perfect for anyone looking for a quick, but emotionally moving, read.
The third installment in this cozy (or melancholy?) series did not quite capture my attention like the first two books. I was overwhelmed at first by the quick review of the growing cast of characters, and the addition of a second cafe location felt like a solution to a problem I didn't realize existed. However, the poignant stories and the glimpses into the characters' motivations and heartbreak were as thoughtfully crafted as ever. The thread of Sachi reading the book of one hundred questions before the world ends was morbidly fascinating and ultimately hopeful. I am conflicted about the prevalence of suicidal ideation in each tale; while not exactly handled delicately, moments of beauty were highlighted even in grief. This series leaves you with plenty to mull over, preferably over a hot cup of coffee. (And if you need a hand, in the US, the new Suicide Hotline number is 988.)
I have mixed feelings on this series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first novel, Before the Coffee Gets Cold, but the rest of the series has fallen rather flat for me. Some chapters are better than others which keeps me reading, but I'm beginning to think a lot of the poetic writing is lost in translation. The dialogue can read very flat and the descriptions lack the magic that others hold.
BEFORE YOUR MEMORY FADES is the third book in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series. It is just as cozy and heartwarming of a read as the other two books.

In this installment, we get a set of brand new characters at a different location of the cafe. But the concept of time travelling remains the same. The stories are weaved with sadness, regret, and hope. You feel for the characters travelling back to meet with a loved one. I personally enjoy this more than the second book, but my favourite is still the first book in the series. I think that three books are enough in this series but I believe a fourth one is going to come out. The writing sometimes gets repetitive as the rules are mentioned constantly, and the reader is able to foresee what happens when someone travels back in time.

[3.75/5]
I am a true fan of Toshikazu Kawaguchi - I have read and absolutely loved the prior to installments to the Before the Coffee Goes Cold series (the other being Tales from the Cafe). My love of Japanese novels and fiction has partially inspired a trip to Japan I will be making in the new year. I can't properly articulate how wonderful Kawaguchi's writing is, I can only say that reading all three books in the series so far have filled me with a wide range of emotions - warmth, sadness, melancholy, nostalgia and absolute joy. I would recommend Before Your Memory Fades (even the title has me choked up) to fans of the previous two Cafe novels, as well as fans of my other, albeit very different, favorite Japanese novels - Convenience Store Woman and Memory Police. Anyway, I have to finish this review before the coffee in my mug here goes cold... just dig into the series, you won't regret it.
A lovely addition to the series. Heartbreaking and sweet without too much of either. The format is of course predictable but it's in the details that you stay interested and the aftermath of their time travel.
Book Three in the <I>Before the Coffee Gets Cold</I> series is another heart work of art by Toshikazu Kawaguchi.

This time, we are introduced to a second cafe which also has the magical ability to send someone back or forward in time.  We learn a little more about the history of both cafes and the family who runs them.

Again, four stories tell four different journeys into time and the lessons learned.  Hearts may not always be healed in these stories, but threads are offered so that the stitching of healing may begin.  It's always left up to the traveler to finish the work.  I appreciate how this mirrors true life.  Not everything is magical in these stories.

This is a series that must be read in order.  The first title is the strongest, but the preceding two titles carry the same weight and feeling.  While all of the stories do not feel connected on the surface, they most definitely are.  And the story of the cafe is woven through all of the stories in each book.  The magic gathers its strength from the stories, so this is fitting.  And, if you love the little cafe and the people who occupy it, you'll want to catch up with them.  We see many of the characters again, with a small mention of how their life is going since their time of travel.

I listened to the first two titles on audio last year and immediately requested the digital ARC of <I>Before Your Memory Fades</I> when it appeared on Netgalley.  If you have trouble with the print version, give the audio a try.  I think I liked these stories on audio the best.

My sincere thanks to Netgalley, Harlequin Trade Publishing, Hanover Square Press, and Toshikazu Kawaguchi for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This book is part of the series but you do not need to read the whole thing to get the concept of the book. I love time travel books and was so excited to read this one and it had the weirdest parameters for time travel but it made for such a good book I love the chitchat between the workers at the café in the customers are really enjoyed the story and highly recommend it. I love books set in other countries in this certainly met that criteria. If you like time travel and odd tales you really need to read“Before your memory fades.“ it is certainly different from any time travel story I have read before and if they write another I would definitely want to read it. I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher but I am leaving this review voluntarily please forgive any mistakes as I am blind and dictate my review.
Before your memory fades is another in this series, I loved the time travel and seeing each character's perspectives. It can get a little repetitive at times.
Another great visit to the café! I love reading these short stories and revisiting the characters I've grown very fond of over the last two books.

Much like the first two books in the series, there are parts of the story that are a bit repetitive such as the discussion of the rules multiple times and how you cannot change the present by visiting the past which take me out of the story a bit when I have to hear them over and over again. I do enjoy the characters and finding out why they are wanting to time travel. I love seeing how revisiting someone can alter your attitude and outlook on life even when your present day can't change all that much. It goes to show that you have the power each day to make your life what it is by how you choose to view it.

Read if you like:
-Short character stories within books
-Time travel
-Thinking about different perspectives
The review is scheduled to post tomorrow morning at roundtablereviews.net.

This is the third book in the Before Your Coffee Gets Cold series. Head back to the charming Mount Hakodate cafe where a specific seat (that's often occupied by a ghost) and a cup of coffee are all you need to travel in time. There are rules you must follow. Wait for the ghost to head to the bathroom, ask for your coffee, and travel back in time, but you have to return before your coffee gets cold.

In this latest collection of time travel adventures, you have the daughter who wants to know how her parents could get into an accident that led to her being an orphan. You have the comedian who wants that chance to go back and see his beloved once more. There's the sister who has not stopped grieving. Finally, there's the man who realizes he let the love of his life slip away and wishes he'd realized what true love is.

The stories are emotional and tug at your heart. The cafe and setting make you want to be there. I've cherished each story in these anthologies and hope there's more in the future. If you're looking for a unique, gripping selection of stories, don't miss Before Your Memory Fades and the other books in this series.

If you find yourself enjoying the Before Your Coffee Gets Cold stories. I have a Netflix show to recommend. Midnight Diner is different, but it still offers that same warm ambiance with a chef who is able to recreate his diner's favorite meals while you take a closer look at their stories and what led them to this point in their lives. It's just as addicting.
As I have said in previous reviews, I highly recommend that you read all of the books in this series in order so you might understand just a bit more.

The thought of visiting a café where you could visit the past or present is naturally intriguing, and Toshikazu Kawaguchi did not disappoint. I love the stories in this latest novel in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series. In this particular novel, several of the stories dealt with locals and regulars to the café. I enjoyed all of the interconnectedness.

The quote at the end really resonated with me when I read it. "Something I strongly believe is that we mustn't allow the death of a person to eb the cause of unhappiness. The reason for that is simple: if we let everyone who dies be a cause for unhappiness, that would mean people are being born to become unhappy. But opposite in fact, it's true. People are always born for the sake of happiness."

4 out of 5 stars. Great quick read!

Thank you to Hanover Square Press and NetGalley for this complimentary e-arc for honest review.
Before Your Memory Fades by Toshikazu Kawaguchi (translated from Japenese by Geoffrey Trousselot)

⭐️⭐️⭐️

* Thank you to @netgalley and @harlequintradepublishing for providing a digital copy of Before Your Memory Fades in exchange of a honest review.

Another great addition to the series! I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two books. The stories didn't impact me like the previous ones but I did enjoy them never the less.
I've always had a fraught relationship with this series. Even the first book (which I gave 5 stars and stand by that) felt manipulative and overwrought. The second installment felt even more so but still managed to get the appropriate response from me. This one failed to do so, didn't just feel manipulative (it is), it also feels repetitive and unimpactful. Maybe the tank of very niche going to the past to tell a loved one something vignettes has been wrung dry. I know I sound jaded (and after reading a bunch of books that felt too sickly sweet this week, maybe I am) but I couldn't connect to this book in the same way that I could with the others in the series. The writing is the same (which is fine) but the plots are also the same (which really hurts this entry into the franchise). If this series is to continue, the author needs to come up with something new to do with their "emotional" vignettes.
This has been out for a while and has lots of reviews, so don't have much to add. I plan to read the rest of the series, and I'll recommend this.

Thanks very much for the free review copy for review!!
I adore this series. The ideas and how they are executed are inspiring, tragic, heart-warming, you get the drift. I have really enjoyed the descriptions of the atmosphere and the desperation of the characters to get their chance in the cafe hot seat. I love the rules being strict and time-limited. This third book offers a second location with the chance to travel back in time, always with interesting results and insights for the characters.
I highly recommend this whole series for a holiday read or a gift for a reader in your life.

#BeforeYourMemoryFades #NetGalley #HarlequinPublishersHanoverSquarePress