Cover Image: Driving Home for Christmas

Driving Home for Christmas

Not for me unfortunately. I started it but wasn't enjoying it so moved onto something else instead and didn't return to it
Kate and Ed are driving home from London for Christmas - it is make or break time for their relationship. I liked how it was told from both points of view.
I think I was a little bit disappointed with this book because I absolutely loved All I Want For Christmas and this just didn't compare. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it. There were a few laugh out loud moments and Ed was an absolute sweetheart. There were great supporting characters too. I did find it difficult to warm to Kate though. I found her a bit selfish at times. The book is a quick read with Joanna's wit and warmth, it's just not the most memorable one that I've read.
Kate and Ed have been together since they were in school and now in their thirties have come to a cross roads in their relationship. The relationship reaches its breaking point on the ride home from London to the north and they split but have to spend the Christmas holidays pretending everything is fine. As time goes on they need to figure out if they are willing to give up all their history or if they can work it out.
I liked this book but it wasn’t super memorable. I’m not sure I’ve read a romance where the couple was broken up for most of the book and I’m not sure how I felt about it. I liked the two main characters for the most part and I was rooting for them. The plot flowed well and kept me interested. I’m not sure it was my favourite book I’ve read recently and I don’t think it’s one I’ll remember that well but it was readable and quick.
This was perfect for the festive season! So Christmassy, beautifully written, it was honestly just perfect, the epitome of a Christmas book!
This author is new to me so I wasn’t sure what to expect when starting this book. However, what I found was a great book which is well written with a storyline populated by fully-formed, mainly believable characters to whom I warmed and felt invested in their outcome. The story held my attention from start to finish and kept me reading beyond the time I should have stopped.
As someone who has had to endure long car journeys to the in-laws for Christmas and the stress this journey, and the days ahead, can cause I was already invested from page one!
I really enjoyed this book, following the ups & downs of the relationship between the two main characters. This storyline differs from the usual in this genre as the two main characters were already in a relationship at the start of the book rather than the usual strangers getting to know each other. This story follows the fall-out of unhappiness and an argument on the car journey home for Christmas, a split, and ultimately finding each other and re-igniting the flame between the two main characters. This kept my interest throughout & I found myself egging them on to reunite.
A really enjoyable festive read, perfect for winter & Christmas-time.
Christmas is upon us and Kate, a lawyer who wants to change the world, but is stuck working on high profile divorce cases, embarks on a visit home with her partner Ed, a musician who now teaches at a local secondary school.

At the start of the road trip while encountering the inevitable holiday traffic, a row ensues, and instead of singing along to their usual cheesy festive tunes their journey is as frosty as the outside temperature and their relationship melts away before their very eyes.

Being Christmas, both Kate and Ed decide to put on a brave face and make the heart-breaking decision to go their separate ways after the holiday season but both agree not to tell their respective families and spoil Christmas for everyone.

I absolutely adored this book – you can’t help loving Ed, he really has a heart of gold and would do anything for Kate, who seemed a bit harsh at times.

Settle down with the Christmas tree lights on, a glass of either mulled wine, or a steaming cup of hot chocolate by your side, and immerse yourself in this gorgeous festive feast of a book.
4 stars. A cute little Christmas read with enjoyable characters. This story has really got me in the mood for Christmas. Highly recommend.
I thoroughly enjoyed Kate and Eds story, of them rediscovering who they are and what they want from life.

Featuring Christmas where they have just agreed to break up but can't bring themselves to tell either family, they spend a few days trying to pretend everything is OK.

With various degrees of success. We get to meet both families and I especially loved Kates.

There is a lot of bickering between our "couple" which I found quite amusing as was never completely sure what direction the story might take.

I also enjoyed the flashback chapters to the early stages of their relationship, and seeing just how that moulded them.

This was a lovely quick and easy read, which certainly had me smiling as I read it.

Thank you to Quercus and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily
𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗥𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄 🎄

Kate and Ed are on their way to celebrate Christmas with their families and normally there'd be a Christmas mix playing in the car but now there's just frosty silence. After a flaming row about their future, the couple realise they've come to a deadend and decide to break up. But the show must go on and they decide to just get through the holidays with a brave face one last time.

Such a cute little holiday read, I finished this one in a day. Dual POV and dual timeline, we get a full 3D look at Kate and Ed's relationship. They were childhood sweethearts but now that they're older, they're changing and realising they want different things and struggling to find a way to make that work within the confines of the relationship. It was a really interesting look at a complex situation with heightened emotions at a time of year when everyone's stressed out as it is!

I really liked both of the main characters and let's be honest, it's a feel good Christmas book so we knew where it would end up, but I enjoyed the journey and the story!

Thank you @netgalley for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review 🎄
this was such a good book.  I felt very drawn to the characters which surprised me. I loved the setting as its the perfect book for this time of year in the run up to Christmas with a bit of romance thrown in
One of my all time favourite Christmas films is Four Christmas with Reese Witherspoon and this book really reminded me of that film.
It was such a great book.
I am a huge sucker for Christmas books however, so I may be very bias in this genre
It’s hard enough spending Christmas with the family and trying to please everyone, but imagine having to do that whilst pretend you’re still in a relationship with your childhood sweetheart, who’s visiting with you!!
I really enjoyed the way the author told the story, flashing back to the past and inviting the reader into the story of Kate and Ed
Whilst the book was predictable at times, it just added to it being an amazing Christmas novel.
There is so much humour in this book and I think the characters were really relatable.
Working in law, I could sympathise with Kate and I’m glad things ended the way they did for her in that respect
My favourite character was Gubba, who couldn’t love her!
This author writes a perfect Christmas novel and her latest one did not disappoint
Roll on her next one, next year
Joanna Bolouri brings us a festive romcom that follows the crumbling relationship between Kate and Ed. Tensions are running high between the couple as they make their way home to see their families over Christmas but they agree not to tell them that they are breaking up.

It was so clear to see that Kate and Ed were made for each other but that they had got too comfortable after so many years together and they have lost their way and stopped communicating with each other. I loved how my thoughts towards them both chopped and changed throughout the storyline, one minute being frustrated with them at times not liking them especially Kate, and then as the bigger picture is revealed I came full circle and really liked them both and just wanted to bang their heads together!

The supporting characters really helped this storyline too, especially with Kate's Gubba (Grandmother) who was a wickedly wonderful character who brought a touch of humour to lighten the storyline. The storyline although set at Christmas really isn't overly festive so it can easily be read anytime of year.

The chapters were short and sharp, switching between both Kate and Ed POV which worked really well to get both sides of the story and see first hand what their thoughts and feelings were rather than only seeing one's view on the other. The chapters also at times went back in time which took some getting used to on the kindle, I wonder if this maybe better laid out in book form.

An enjoyable light read tackling troubled stagnant relationship and showing the importance of communication.
One of the cutest Christmas romances ever. Loved! I would like to thank NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the chance to read an ARC of Driving Home for Christmas. This was my favourite thing in a long time.
Driving Home for Christmas
Named after the song that must keep Chris Rea in posh hot chocolate laced with brandy this novel is a bit of a change from the will they won’t they scenario. This time we meet Kate and Ed who are in ten years into their happy ever after and discovering love isn’t always enough.
Laura is a hot shot divorce lawyer but that wasn’t what she wanted was it? Ed teaches music but didn’t he want to play it? They’ve not only drifted apart they’ve driven a tank through their hopes and dreams.
Deciding to call time on their relationship Kate and Ed also decide to spend thie scant days off with their respective parents and leave out this critical information before being wrapped in the bosom of the families. Maybe only a snowfall can save them now, it’s definitely going to take more than Christmas flavoured Baileys for this happy ending.
Of course all hope is not lost and this book looks at how a relationship can be rebuilt on more solid foundations which will make it last. All the elements of romance at Christmas time are there but there’s also a dose of healthy tension and some laughs to ease it. Both of them examine where their lives have got them and whether there is a future. I’m reminded of Love Actually, parts of which I actively loathe but happily this only picks up the non cringe inducing moments.
Let’s face it, stresses and strains of Christmas bring out the worst in us and there’s a reason the divorce rate goes up after the enforced lockdown until New Year. This book has laughs and tears but its actually got a soft centre which manages to gives out a positive message which we can all enjoy.
I enjoyed reading this cute, second-chance romance book (which isn’t a trope I read very often), but I was slightly disappointed at how quickly everything concluded at the end as opposed to how well the rest of the story flowed. The back and forth throughout the years of Kate and Ed’s relationship had me rooting for them from the word go, and I loved how real/ flawed they were as characters.

An ideal book for those wanting some feel-good festive vibes!
I liked the characters, I enjoyed the story and I love a festive read but this book just didn’t wow me. Overall I’d say it’s alright but just missing something that would have me racing back to it
It was such a great book.
My favourite character was Gubba, who couldn’t love her!
Roll on her next one, next year
Kate and Ed are driving home to spend Christmas with their families, and a huge row leaves them agreeing to end their relationship. They can't possibly tell their families at Christmas, so they decide to visit Ed's parents, Kate's Mum and Kate's Dad, hiding their split. What ensues is a sweet re-examination of their relationship, with some comical and plenty of emotional moments.

A good cosy Christmas read, I found myself sympathising with Ed one minute, then Kate the next, and just wishing they would actually talk to each other!
My cheeks hurt from smiling through this delightful book. This one kept me hooked and entertained until the last page… The characters each have these little pieces that make them such believable characters! This fabulous summer read is a gentle reminder love never gives up on anyone. An unforgettable story.