Cover Image: Tales of Whimsy, Verses of Woe

Tales of Whimsy, Verses of Woe

There are so many descriptive words that fit this wonderful book.  Everyone of them would be right!  I read this one several times, both to my self and an audience and absolutely everyone loved it.  There are so few books pf poetry written for such a large, varied audience that's always a pleasure to find another.  Would I recommend it?  Absolutely.  Treat yourself and your fellow readers.
Amusing Poetical Tales

In the style reminiscent of Shel Silverstein, the author presents a book of short poems with amusing illustrations. It was a quick read and quite funny in places.

A winner of the Baldersquash medal, it lives up to it’s name with plenty of nonsense in the verses. Although the book can appeal to adults, I think the read audience is children. Elementary school children love nonsense and the illustrations will definitely appeal to that group

I received this book from Net Galley for this review.
The target audience of children will probably love this book filled with silly, lighthearted poems. I found the Kindle format, or the preprint format, difficult to read, causing confusion as to when the poems began or ended.  Hopefully, that will not be a problem with the completed published work. Thanks to NetGalley and Redtail Press for providing an ARC.
We loved this book. The adults read it and laughed so much that we thought it only fair to share the tales and verses with the children. They laughed and giggles just as much as we did. A delightful collection of witty and rather twisted tales.
In this absurdly excellent book of verse, children of all ages will be delighted by the wit and witticism of author Tim Deroche and illustrator Daniel Gonzalez. Much like the late great Shel Silverstein, this poetry duo has created a book for generations to come. From punk rock monarchs to imaginative machines, this book of poetry is sure to engage even the most stubborn of your poetry dissenters—an excellent and humorous book to add to your library.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book of poems and tales!

I so enjoyed this book of short stories all done in verse, how amazing. It reminds me so much of Dr. Seuss or Shel Silverstein. The first tale is called Mary Melissa Miranda McGurk and she could be me! The tales draw you in and wish the book was longer!
Browsing NetGalley, I found Tales of Whimsy, Verses of Woe and it immediately gave me Shel Silverstein vibes. I LOVE Shel Silverstein's poems, so I was excited to find another poet who seemed to have a similar style.

While the poems did show some similarities, it didn't quite live up to what I expected. However, I still enjoyed the entire book. It was a quick read, with cute illustrations to accompany the poems. So if you like rhyming poetry, I'd suggest picking up Tales of Whimsy, Verses of Woe for a quick read.
Very similar to Shel Silverstein in writing style and illustrations. Many children are likely to appreciate the whimsy and darkness of this collection. (However, for some a few of the poems may be too dark). A solid addition to juvenile poetry collections.
This is a fun collection of children's poetry. Ranking right up there with the best and most classic children's poetry, kids in that later elementary grade level will appreciate the quirky, silly and especially the gross humor.

I will recommend this to teachers and older kids who are looking for funny poetry.

Thanks to Redtail Press and NetGalley for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Tales of Whimsy, Verses of Woe is a delightful collection of short stories told in verse that bring laughter and joy. My kids enjoyed listening to the story of Mary Melissa  Miranda McGurk her story was so fantastic and ended in such woe. The tales found in this book are playful and fun with a slight twist that make them full of woe by the end. This book would work so well to aid in taking a brain break and having a good chuckle to clear one’s head.
Kids will love these dark, funny, fantastical poems and illustrations which are guaranteed to have them laughing out loud. Very clever, each one surprised me in some way. This is a great way to introduce kids to poetry - they'll be having so much fun, they won't realize that they're reading an art form that many unfortunately choose to ignore.

Well done, TD!

My thanks to Redtail Press for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book via NetGalley. Publication is set for 1/24/23. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and are freely given.
Thank you for this advanced copy. This book is unique and full of tales of woe, as the title suggests. I expected something similar to Shel Silverstein because of the cover art and black & white style.

This book has stories that will delight children and adults. The plot of each poem is fun for school-aged children. I didn't care for the rhyme structure of some of the poems as I often tripped over words and had to reread lines. As a teacher, I wondered if some of my students would also struggle with some of these same lines.

Overall, this book made me smile and I know children will love the outlandish plots!
This book reminded me so much of Shel Silverstein mixed with Edward Gorey. Many of the poems have sharp with and funny accompanying illustrations. Some of the poems felt more clever than others but all in all this was a delight to read. I especially enjoyed the poem about a missed call from God.
From the cover alone, I think I expected a poetry book with more of a childlike whimsy, like the works of Shel Silverstein. While I enjoyed some of the poems, I don't think I actually smiled or laughed out loud at all while I was reading, which is what I was really hoping for when I downloaded this book.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinions.
Very reminiscent of Shel Silverstein in style, humor and illustration. Children love rhyme and nonsense so I think it would be well received in an elementary school classroom.
This new book didn’t win the Baldersquash award by mistake. It’s funny, silly, ridiculous, whimsical, and yet so smart you’ll do a few double takes at both the author and illustrative cleverness.

There is no way around the comparisons to Shel Silverstein, but you’ll be disappointed if you go in expecting this to be a continuation of Mr. Silverstein’s work. It’s not, and that just wouldn’t be fair to any author. Tales of Whimsy, Verses of Woe stands on its own merits- please give it a chance to be itself.

That being said, it made me feel like a kid again. I did follow it up with a re-read of a Siverstein classic, simply because the joy it built up inside my heart drew me back to a favorite from my childhood. Reading fuels and empowers your brain, and books like this help kids believe that anything is possible. I’ll display it at the library, and highly recommend it.

Grateful thanks to NetGalley and Redtail Press for access to a digital ARC, and to Tim DeRoche and Daniel González for making my heart soar with recollections of my beloved childhood library adventures.
What to say about this small book of poetry? Or should it be labeled as doggerel? Reminds me of Shel Silverstein, with some quotes from Lewis Carroll. This will appeal to a limited audience, but some kids will "get" these poems and the illustrations are delightfully off the wall. Poems are short, and may require students to look up a few of the words.
Oh my what a fun read and I don’t normally enjoy poetry.
Here we have a mashup of Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein and a lesser known book, The Bloody Hungry Spleen  by Allan Wolf.

This is a fun and silly book of nonsense and a winner of the  annual Baldersquash medal. Yes that one was new to me too. It seems to be a rather mysterious award and  honors the very best in highfalutin nonsense.

Every bit of this anthology of odd poems are completely engaging and enhanced by the illustrations.

I enjoyed Carrot Talk where Mis Pepper was insulted not by Carrrot.

Then there is now to start your morning…
I brush my teeth with superglue,
And wash my face—oh yes I do—
With leftover soup I find in the trash
(Which leaves my skin with a nasty rash).

And kids are SURE to love One Man Band who by the way needs no instruments…
While I can make all kinds of noise, It’s ’specially fun to burp.
And when I’ve got some extra time, I also like to slurp.
Sneezing, too, is quite a sound And glorious fun to boot.
But farting is my favorite noise:
There’s nothing like a toot.

I of course noticed the  rhythm of a few poems as  a bit hard to find, but it’s cool how the author’s note  acknowledges some of the stretches.

Oh please author DeRoche and illustrator Gonzalez let this be the first of many more anthologies. I beg for more!
If you like Shel Silverstein, Edward Gorey or Roald Dahl this is the book for you! the words and the illustrations were a devilish pleasure to share with those who need and enjoy a clever laugh.
A fun and zany collection of poems and illustrations reminiscent of Shel Silverstein's collections. Children and adults will enjoy this book.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing this ARC. All thoughts are my own.