Cover Image: Five Survive

Five Survive

The setting had me stressed, as someone who has gone on their fair share of long road trips-getting stranded in the woods is a pretty big fear of mine! Add that along with someone picking off my companions one-by-one and yeah this is definitely nightmare material. I enjoyed this, it felt slow-ish at the start but picked up its pace in time. I love a good mystery and this hit the spot, I’m not sure yet if I like it more than “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” but I don’t necessarily put them in the same category in my mind.
I’m a huge fan of most of Holly Jackson’s AGGGTM series, so I was very excited to see this newest suspenseful offering. And, for the most part, it did not disappoint. The pacing was quick, with enough going on to keep me interested - so much so that I finished the book in about half a day.

The suspense was great. There were several times I had to put the book down for a minute in order to breathe a bit but it wasn’t too much. I didn’t necessarily like the characters, but I don’t think I needed to in order to enjoy the story. The mystery portion was okay, if a little predictable… maybe too many hints dropped along the way?

I found the very end to be a little bit of a cop out, and think a real resolution for that final question would have been better after everything.

Overall, a solid 4 stars. I’ll happily pick up whatever Jackson writes next.
I have been trying to get through this book for months but I’m so bored. Everyone I know that’s read it agrees which is such a disappoint considering I loved her last series.
I really enjoyed this book. I had never read any of the author's books before this one and I'm excited to read more of her books.
Loved all the suspenseful twists and turns. I kept reading to see what happened and was shocked at all the twists and turns
Five Survive is a fast paced thriller that had me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it. As a fan of Holly Jackson's previous work, I was so excited to get the chance to read her latest.

Definitely recommend to those who love her work and also think it's a great entry book for those who haven't! Highly recommend!
I'm so disappointed with this one! I don't understand the high reviews, especially since most of this felt like a chore to read. Since the plot is rather simple, any details that were given about character backgrounds were easy to put into their respective puzzle pieces for the "twist" ending. This might have been saved if the character relationships were strong, but unfortunately the characters felt flat and the "romance" was transparent which made it feel like a poor attempt to tie together the book.
Who doesn't love a road trip? Personally, I love the idea of traveling with friends in an RV. That's exactly how the adventure started for Red and her friends. They were nearly to their overnight campsite when all of the sudden, their GPS was no longer working. Without this technology, Red and her friends make a wrong turn and find themselves stranded on a dark and desolate road in the middle of nowhere. The friends soon realize that there is grave danger waiting for them in the dark and that one of them is hiding a secret that is putting their lives in jeopardy. My pulse did not stop racing throughout this page-turner. Be sure to pick up this newest novel from Holly Jackson!
I was never a mystery/thriller reader until I read a Good Girl's guide to murder. That series is top 3 of favorite books for me. Holly Jackson then became an auto buy author, so when I saw her new book Five Survive I needed it ASAP. Five Survive did not disappoint. It's fast paced, keeps you on your toes, takes time in the span of 8 hours, I couldn't get enough. I read it in one sitting!!!! Highly recommend all of Holly Jackson's books!
Six friends set out on a non-traditional Spring Break trip in an RV.  Everything is off to a great start until the phones GPS stops working and they end up on a deserted gravel road in the middle of nowhere. The trip seems salvageable, however the sniper in the woods with a target on their camper has other plans. One of the six has a secret the sniper is ready to kill for. Can they determine what the secret is in time to save themselves? Will they turn on each other to keep themselves safe? How deep is their friendship and is it worth dying over?

The book starts off at a quick pace and does a great job of characterization, building the scene, and background, However, the second half of the book feels rushed and leaves you wondering… what just happens?!?
Holly Jackson is one of my favorite thriller/mystery writers ever!  The Good Girl’s Guide to Murder introduced me to her and I haven’t missed one of her books yet!  Five Survive was just as amazing as I thought it would be (okay… it was even better!).

A group of friends take a trip to their spring break destination by RV. Everything is fine until they’re held hostage and told he’ll let everyone go as long as the person keeping the secret tells their secret. How well do you know your “friends”? Would you trust them to tell the truth?  Who’s hiding what and will they reveal what they’ve been hiding?

I read Five Survive way too fast! I had to know what happened. Who had the secret and what it was!  Let’s just say I stayed up all night and I finished it all at once!  I highly recommend Holly Jackson’s newest to any thriller/mystery lover that loves a face paced read with twists and turns you didn’t see coming!

Thank you with all my heart to NetGalley and The Publisher, Delacorte Press for choosing me to read and review this ARC
**Trigger Warnings at the end

I binged this book at night in only a couple of days. Six very different people in an RV traveling from PA to Gulf Shores, AL for Spring Break all carrying a secret.

When they get lost on the way to the campground and then break down in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception, it's up to the group to work together to find a solution. Until, shots are fired at the RV and they learn they are being held hostage in exchange for a secret that one of the six are hiding.

This is unique story in that it is a locked door mystery in the very literal sense. They are trapped in this RV and have to trust each other, which goes very, very wrong.

I loved the twists and turns of this mystery and when the whole secret is revealed (except for you Oliver!). The only reason I knocked half a star off is because we are left with a question at the very end that the reader can basically choose the answer too. That plot point is not something that appeals to me so I desperately need to know the answer 😬!

TW:
Death of a parent, death of a sibling, executions/murder, alcoholism
Five Survive is a tense YA thriller that is full of surprises. It is told from the POV of Red, a teen struggling to keep herself together in the wake of her mother’s murder. What starts off as a fun vacation for six young people soon turns into an epic tale of survival. I enjoyed the pacing and watching how each character comes clean with their secrets which might hold the key to their escape. Red was an excellent character, even if she was a too hard on herself. Oliver was quite a force of nature. The only thing that hindered my enjoyment was that, towards the end, the plot seemed a little far fetched. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good thriller.
Thanks to NetGalley for the review copy.
I really loved The Good Girls Guide to Murder and was very excited to see that Holly Jackson had a new book out. In Five Survive a group of friends are on their way to a spring break trip when a shooter takes out their tires. He says he will let the rest go if the person keeping the secret tells their secret.  It turns out there are lots of secrets and maybe these friends don't know each other as well as they think they do.  The book was well written and kept me interested until the end. I devoured it in a day.  I can't wait for more books by Holly Jackson.
The brand new unmissable crime thriller from Holly Jackson, best-selling, award-winning author of the Good Girl’s Guide to Murder trilogy.

Eight hours.
Six friends.
One sniper . . .

Eighteen year old Red and her friends are on a road trip in an RV, heading to the beach for Spring Break. It’s a long drive but spirits are high. Until the RV breaks down in the middle of nowhere. There’s no mobile phone reception and nobody around to help. And as the wheels are shot out, one by one, the friends realise that this is no accident. There’s a sniper out there in the dark watching them and he knows exactly who they are. One of the group has a secret that the sniper is willing to kill for.

A game of cat-and-mouse plays out as the group desperately tries to get help and to work out which member of the group is the target. Buried secrets are forced to light in the cramped, claustrophobic setting of the RV, and tensions within the group will reach deadly levels. Not everyone will survive the night.

This one drew me in from the beginning! I really enjoyed it. Red and Oliver really drove me nuts though. It definitely wasn't A Good Girls Guide to Murder. But I still was intrigued.
Holly Jackson does it again-a page turner that will keep readers entertained and wanting more.  My high school readers seem to gravitate to this sort of read and I cannot blame them!
Six teens and eight hours until dawn. Fast-paced and action-packed. Lots of secrets in this intriguing plot. Holly Jackson does not disappoint. This novel was not only heart-stopping but it pulled on my heart. I would definitely recommend it..
I loved AGGGTM by Holly Jackson and was so excited to get this book from Net Galley. It was not what I was expecting at all. I loved how fast-paced it was. I can't believe all of this happened in the matter of 8 hours. I love Red. She was my favorite character.

What I liked:
-fast paced
-character development
-suspense

What I didn't like:
-too many characters
-the ending didn't make sense and I felt it was too rushed
-too much downtime in the early chapters
Six friends are driving a RV to join their classmates for spring break, but wind up being diverted and the RV disabled in a lonely field. Shot at and trapped in the RV they are commanded by a mysterious voice, over a walkie talkie, to divulge the secret he’s looking for and the others will be allowed to go free.
Of the six characters, most were a little unformed. The story moves quickly, taking place over one night, so there isn’t much time to get to know most of them. Mainly we get to know Red.
Red was a little unfocused and a bit bumbling. Yeah, I get that she’s suffering from the trauma of losing her mom several years earlier and caring for her dad… but she seems so lost sometimes that I wonder how she manages to take care of herself, let alone her mourning father. Despite this, I did like her. She keeps trying, and tries to do the right thing.
And Oliver, who, as the oldest decides to lead this group to figure out how to get free…. I absolutely HATED Oliver. He was pushy and demeaning, and an all-around pompous jerk. He spent most of his time trying to find someone to blame for their situation.
But, I really did enjoy the story. Most of the secrets revealed surprised me, and it wound up being an interesting, fast paced mystery. Not quite as good as the Good Girl’s Guide to Murder series (but that’s a hard one to match, honestly). Didn’t see some of the twists toward the end coming, and I always like being a little shocked at how the plot plays out!
Six friends set out on a spring break road trip in a borrowed camper. Five return. Redford (Red) Kenny sets out with her best friend, his brother, his girlfriend, and some classmates to enjoy their week off. But, when the RV breaks down in the middle of a secluded area in South Carolina, it becomes clear that the breakdown is not a coincidence. Someone is shooting at them and threatening to kill. There's no cell service and the six are trapped in the dark night with someone nearby trying to kill them.

Eventually communicating with their antagonist, he insists that one of them has a secret. A secret that needs to be given up or they will all die. Red has a secret. But some of the others do too. Secrets come out and what seems straightforward becomes ever more convoluted, with secrets inside secrets. The killer means business. Two passers by who tried to help are shot to death.

It's a long night with people who quickly stop trusting each other. Each of them tries to save themselves. But, not all are successful.

This suspenseful book will have you glued till the end.
This book was absolutely amazing! I was a little hesitant to read it at first because I don't normally enjoy books that take place over the course of a few hours. Once I started reading, I couldn't put the book down. I loved Holly Jackson's other books, and this one was no exception.

I loved the characters in this book. The main character was delightfully quirky. She was unlike other characters I have read before which was refreshing. I liked how there was a subtle romance subplot, but it didn't take over the whole book. The love interest was perfect for Red and I enjoyed reading about him. Every character I was supposed to dislike, I ended up disliking which is always good. There was a good mix of characters that kept me interested the entire time.

The plot of the book was also amazing. Like I said earlier, I am not usually a fan of books that take place over the course of a few hours, just because they can drag on. This book did not drag on and kept me interested the entire time. It was fast-paced and a good read that I finished in about a day or two. The ending was a big twist and shocked me since I was not expecting it. It was a great ending that kept you wanting more.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to readers who love a fast pace book, thrillers, or murder mystery type books.