The Only Game in Town by Lacie Waldon took a minute to pull me in. I was expecting a romance, but quickly came to realize that this book is more about the town than the relationship between Jess and Carter. While both Jess and Carter grow through this book, it’s the town with its quirky characters and humorous stories that was truly the star of the book. Overall, this was a fun story, filled with funny moments and ridiculous challenges; however, it was not the romance I was expecting.

Note: this book has some innuendo, but is closed door.

*Thank you to Netgalley, and the author and publisher for an e-arc of this book. All opinions are my own.

This amazing book was a great mix of The Amazing Race meets Big Brother challenges meets Hart of Dixie super cute small town! Being from a small town myself, I loved the setting and side characters with all the background!

The love between a dad and his daughter, the mean girls from high school, the gossip, and most importantly, the big move back to her hometown, was all so reminiscent of my own story and all the memories my own hometown brings each time I go back!

This story was truly a gem!

This was absolutely adorable! Waldon has shot right into an autobuy slot with this one. The characters were fun and quirky, the story original. Just loved it!

In “The Only Game in Town”, when Jasper Wilhelm, Reford’s odd benefactor dies, his nephew Carter is called upon to oversee his last will and testament. However, there’s a catch – the townspeople need to compete in several games to win Jasper’s remaining fortune. Among the players, freelance editor Jess Reid catches Carter’s eye, sparking a potential romance. While the romance takes a back seat to the plot, Jess is a character worth rooting for, and her potential love interest in Carter is a pleasant addition. The only downside is that the romance feels a bit rushed at times, and it could have been more developed. Overall, “The Only Game in Town” is a great read, with Lacie Waldon skillfully portraying the intricate dynamics of a small town while also highlighting the importance of community and friendship. However, I would say this is more contemporary fiction than that of a romance novel.

Thank you #NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.

When the quirky town benefactor passes away, he sets up a game for the zany small town residents to participate in to win his money. Carter, his grandson, thinks the game is rigged in his favor but he can’t help but feel guilty as he falls for one of the residents, Jess. Jess is determined to win, even being partnered up with her nemesis. Will the game bring the townspeople closer together or tear them apart?

This was such a fun read. I loved all the characters in the small town. They each felt like they could be my own neighbors. Thank you Netgalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons for the egalley in exchange for my honest review.

DNF! The premise didn’t interest me, I wasn’t hooked by the beginning at all & unfortunately I’ve seen some negative reviews from other bookstagrammers I trust — so I’m going to move on to another book. I liked THE LAYOVER by this author though, so I do think I’ll give her another try with FROM THE JUMP.

3.5 stars RTC
Jess moved back home to her small town Georgia life and to be near her father. She's barely making ends meet but loves her surroundings and neighbors, with only the exception of mean girl, Nikki. Being paired with Nikki in a game to win 10 million dollars is just one nightmare among many for the locals. Add in a stranger, Carter, and everyone is feeling competitive and grumpy.
While this isn't my favorite Lacie book, I did find enjoyment in scenes throughout: the sandwiches, jeeps, and night-time chats, for example. I don't understand the need for Ross's POV and the abundance of character introductions made for a semi-rough beginning. I loved Lacie's previous travel romances so I pushed through and thought the second half was much more in line with my expectations. She has a knack for fun and quirky characters.
Thank you to Putnam and NetGalley for the advanced copy. All thoughts in this review are my own.

I've given this author's books four and five stars and was excited to dive into this third one! I think I had a bit too high of expectations. I did have a good time reading and the concept was really fun. The multiple POVs seemed a bit random at first, but started to make a little more sense as the story continued.

The romance was a bit more of a slow burn, which I don't normally go for but I liked these characters. Yes the ending was a little bit cheesy, but it really had me grinning and chuckling.

Overall, I'll continue to pick up this authors books and will recommend them to fellow readers!

3.5 stars rounded up

I absolutely adored Waldron’s previous novel, so I was very excited to read this one. While I enjoyed it, it wasn’t as much of a hit for me. The small town is charming and there are some fun characters here. That being said, the whole premise is so unlikely and the main character is just SO quirky that it had me rolling my eyes at times. And the love interest simply didn’t have enough chemistry to make it up for me. The book was fine, but won’t stick with me.

Small town romance? A town-wide game? Opposites attract? What's not to like? This was such a sweet, fun, wholesome read and I ate up every minute of it.

The Only Game in Town has all of the tropes/vibes you love in a typical small town romance, but it also goes above and beyond with a unique voice that absolutely captivated me. For example, this novel is multi-POV and features the perspectives of people outside of the main couple. This isn't something I've ever seen in a romcom and I loved it.

If you're looking for a fun spring/summer read, consider The Only Game in Town!

-----4/5 stars

Thank you to netgalley and the penguin for providing me a with a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a fun, sweet read. I really liked the set up of alternating chapters between the point of view of the main characters as well as the supporting characters. It felt like it rounded out the story well. It was fun to follow the scavenger hunt game while also watching Jess and Carter connect. The small town setting was a perfect backdrop to showcase a variety of great personalities and amusing interactions. I loved Lacie Waldon's last book so I had high expectations going into this new one. They were met or exceeded! I can't wait to read her next work. Thanks to Lacie Waldon, Penguin Group Putnam, and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This was such a fun quirky adventure! I love a good posthumous request in a will. In this case having the whole town to compete against a very large sum that everyone actually needs to help with career, health or vanity.
Although the deceased knew what he was doing and paired up those that have either had a long standing grudge or just plain hated each other trying to get them to force proximity them into empathy and friendship. And for the most part it worked but there are just some nasty people that are just mean.
The romance was sweet and I love a good bar meet cute. The challenges were fun and silly too.

Sweet small town story with a slow burn romance thrown in. I loved the town and the game that was being played kept the story interesting. The romance aspect, which is not the major storyline in the book, felt very realistic. This was my first book by this author, but I will definitely read more from her.

The Only Game in Town by Lacie Waldon is another great rom-com. This was a cute, small town romance. Each character was funny and relatable. It was predictable enough you know you’ll be happy, while keeping enough plot twists to actually keep you reading. I have read other books from this author and she always delivers. Highly recommend this and her other books!

Lacie Waldon does it again! The Only Game in Town is romantic without explicit scenes, appropriate for all. It is a great story of coming together and success. Characters are appropriately developed, relatable and believable.

Such a fun read! I loved this story. More than a romance, this is a story about community, family, and the lengths people will go to to take care of their own. The romance between Carter and Jess is fun and wonderful, but the best part of the book was how Waldon interwove all these different people into one cohesive story.

Another delightful adventure from Lacie Waldo’s! Definitely recommend this one for fans of romance with a twist on the outdoor adventures

this book was only alright. Couldn't really get into it so didn't end up finishing it. Haven't read any of her other books so maybe it was just this one.

Thank you to Putnam Books for the complimentary copy of The Only Game in Town.

Redford, Georgia, is a small town with Southern charm where rarely anything changes. Yet, when local millionaire and town benefactor, Jasper Wilhelm passes away, he leaves the most unusual request in his will. He asks the town to compete in a series of challenges in order to win his fortune of $5 million. How will they decide who works together? Jasper has that planned out too. He’s already selected how and who everyone will be paired.

Jasper’s grandson Carter Barclay didn’t expect his grandfather’s plans. He’s heard about the residents and seen some pictures, but he’s never visited Redford Falls until now. One of the first residents that Carter meets in a bar is freelance editor Jess Reid. Carter thinks of her as his competition, at first. Soon Carter finds himself torn between a future with Jess and $5 million dollars.

This is a cute small town romance story with high stakes and multiple points of view. The multiple POVs were a little difficult to follow at times, but I think it supplied more perspective. I really enjoyed learning more about each resident. For me, the romance between Jess and Carter moved too quickly, and I found it a tiny bit unrealistic. But amidst obstacles they faced, I still routed for them as a couple. My favorite character is Jess’s rival and former best friend, the misunderstood bad girl. She was mean, BUT she had a heart of gold underneath a thorny exterior. She really stepped up for people she cared about.

Things I enjoyed:

🏡small town romance
☕️ southern hospitality
🎰 the challenges

I really enjoyed this book, and it gave me some Star’s Hollow vibes. It was a little more contemporary fiction that included a love story rather than a romance, in my opinion. I really liked all the character dynamics and backstories, particularly from the small town perspective. I think in terms of chapter perspectives it should have remained a dual perspective book. There were a few other perspectives thrown in along the way, and they left me wanting more because they were so fleeting. Overall, this was a quick read that also had depth because of all the details about secondary characters, and I really enjoyed it.