Cover Image: Love the Dark Days

Love the Dark Days

*I received a copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review*
This was an interesting read. I found myself both fascinated and bored which was such an odd assortment.
Whilst reading this book it was clear the power of the relationship between the author and her grandmother, the way the chapters were written when describing anything involving her grandmother were detailed and enthralling, but when writing about other areas of her life, it was all bit rushed, with nowhere as much detail which was disappointing and let the book down. Having read this I am not sure what the point of this book was, which again was very disappointing
Sadly this is a DNF for me , I've been trying all day to get into it, and I just can't,  the story feels like it's jumping all of the place from one thing to other which is making it hard to read and understand.
Although this autobiography was very evocative and atmospheric of the places in which the author lived and her sad childhood, and there was some lovely writing, I found this just too difficult to get into, unfortunately. I didn't like the use of the present tense, and the author jumped around in time, and between places too much. For example, one minute she'd be the lonely child Poppet and the next she would be interviewing Sir Derek Walcott. Reading it seemed to require a lot of time, and effort. Reading it in paperback would probably be easier than reading it on Kindle, I think.

I received this free ebook from NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Rich tapestry of the author’s family history of mixed and complicated background.
 Set mainly in India, England and Trinidad it narrates the story of Poppet the dark-haired, less pretty child of a mixed Muslim-Hindu family whose ancestors come from the prestigious Mahrahja class. Poppet tries to define her place within the world, in her family, in her marriage and most importantly within herself.
 The topics deal with colonialism, decolonization, displacement and alienation. It reads as if the manyfold problems India was and is facing since the end of the British empire are present within one family and therefore making life and survival very difficult. The role of women in this family is not a happy one as they pass on the trauma and unhappiness to each generation.
 It is an emotionally challenging book as the unfair treatment of this child by her mother and her grandmother is unsettling.   The language is rich with colourful imagery, nevertheless, it is easy to read. I can only strongly recommend this book.
Memoir and family history

This is Ira’s memoir and the story of her family.  Having been born in India, to family that once had been rich and powerful, her immediate family now appeared disjointed and dysfunctional.  Ira’s story tells of her growing up in Bangalore in the 1970s, and the atmosphere and beauty of India.  She later continues her education in England and Canada, also living in London and Trinidad.

It tells of the magnificence (but not necessarily happy) of the past lives of her wealthy relatives, and the difficulties of growing up in a disjointed family who no longer had the wealth they had been born to, and who seem to have fallen out with each other to varying degrees.  There were glimpses into both good and very difficult times of Ira’s life,  but I would have liked more depth of exploration of the events related.  This may be because there was so much information included within this one book, that by necessity the telling had to be brief.

Interrupting the story, throughout the book, are accounts of a weekend the author spent with Sir Derek Walcott in St Lucia.  For me this distracted from the flow of Ira’s story.

Overall I found the book swung from totally wonderful, to my being confused as to who was who, and where this part of the story fitted in – perhaps reading a paper book, rather than via a Kindle,  would have been easier for me to refer back to check dates etc.   There were certainly plenty of dark days, and overall the story left me feeling rather sad for most of the characters contained within.  There are wonderful photos of  the main characters at the back of the book.

A memoir and family history that is packed full of glimpses into the lives of (more than)  3 generations of women in Ira’s family, and left me with a multitude of impressions but little certainty.
A well-written memoir with a flare that held me captivated by its pages. It had the style of a historical romance novel, and I have to say, it worked well.
This historically captivated reel played by the author gave insights into her aristocratic upbringing. A glance into the past, into how things had traversed into many unpredictable and predictable circumstances. Although the lines between hatred and love crossed many times, the author still embraced love. I thought the F-bombs were a bit too much, I’m not a fan, but besides that, it was a great read.
Love the Dark Days by Ira Mathur is an absolutely beautiful memoir. This book took my breath away multiple times. A must for every library!
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A beautifully written and intense memoir. Full of raw emotion, absorbing and courageous. A wonderful book and .a must read.
Thank you for granting me access to this galley. It's unlike anything I've ever read before but it was refreshingly pleasant.