Cover Image: The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

Contemporary romance about 2 people who met and 20 years later circumstances bring together again. It was a slow start for me and overall a medium paced book. It was a decent read, but not one I would pick up again.

There are many heavy topics in this book, so please look at trigger warnings before reading this. There weren't any when I read the blurb, and it doesn't seem like this would be a rather dark, angsty novel, so be mindful.

Initially, I found it too unlike what I was expecting to fully enjoy, but the more I stuck with it, the better it became. This is a story about second chances and love and family and heartbreak, and it broke my heart so many times. The author handled sensitive topics very well, and the ending was satisfying.

Two people meet in college and are good friends. This book was full of topics such as assault. and there were a lot of heavy topics such as alcoholism, child sexual abuse, death of a parent, infertility and cheating in this plot.

When I read about the book, it sounded like a light-hearted second chance story but I was left baffled when I learned that Clara was married and Benjamin had a son. The trailer failed to mention these details and there were no trigger warnings either. This story was told throughout the span of twenty something years. I have to admit that Clara & Benjamin's relationship was so different and I disliked Clara more than Benjamin. She was irrational, impulsive, privileged and her arguments were embarrassing. She couldn't change even after twenty years. I didn't feel any chemistry between the main characters and I just wanted to see how it ends but the ending was too abrupt. Definitely would have liked more there.

this book was incredible. i really enjoyed it. it was heart wrenching and angsty. everything i love and want in a book.

Not what I expected. I DNF it at 20%. Very slow and just plain boring. There was nothing that would draw me back in to continue reading it.

Thank you NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press and the author for ARC in exchange form my honest review.

Soulmates, meant to be, all that stuff. I thought this was going to be another right person wrong time story, but it was so so much more.
Thank you so much to NetGalley for the act!

Books like this are too much for me! The emotion. Very well written. Heart wrenching story. Makes me fearful for my future, so I like to stay away from these. But good book for those who like this kind.

This story broke my heart in so many ways. From the moment they met, I was rooting for Ben and Clara's love story- and watching them be torn apart by miscommunications was truly devastating. Twenty years later, a tragic event pushes Clara to seek Ben out, and the result is not something anyone could have seen coming. This story dealt with a very tragic, but topical, event that is far too common in this day and age. I think the author handled the topic very sensitively, while also focusing on how our youth can be affected by these events and everything that leads up to them. It was equal parts a love story and a family story, which made the pay off at the end all the more rewarding.

This one hooked me pretty quickly . It was a page turner for sure. There were deeper issues that are discussed in this book which I always enjoy even if it makes it a tougher read .

3.5 🌟
The author says in her notes that this book isn’t a love story, but a story about first love, and that rings true. I think by marketing this book as a second chance romance people may be disappointed. It’s more of a character study of two deeply flawed people who need to learn how to love themselves before they can love each other, and the ripples our decisions make. If anything, it’s more of a right person wrong time.

I can see the reviews now about how much people hate the FMC. Because she isn’t “likable” - they’re both flawed, deeply insecure, and make a ton of selfish decisions. (And that’s the point!). Their relationship wasn’t super healthy. Her anxiety led her to want to find safety in other people and lose herself, and he always felt not good enough. It’s a bit reminiscent of Normal People in that it touches on class issues with him being from a lower-income background, and how things get swept under the rug for “boys with promise” and other gender issues.

Liked the dual POV/timeline and the short chapters made it a fast read. There was a bit too much going on plot wise with the bombing, the stuff that happened in the past, and other plot points. Check triggers.

intriguing story. cool characters. had a good time. interesting plot. cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

I received this book complimentary from NetGalley, but all opinions are my own.

This was a heart-wrenching read about changed plans, mistakes that change our destiny, second chances, and loves that will forever change you. It is a great read that keeps you wanting more from this dual POV-told story.

I enjoy second chance romances and this one was deeper than most. While it won’t be for everyone (check trigger warnings) I enjoyed it and would recommend it to others. Thank you for the gifted copy.

This book is a real bummer and not in a good way. The stories were sad and the characters were toxic. I did enjoy the last part and the ending. The connections between the stories and timelines were interesting and well done.

Such an amazing read! I love second chance romance and the way this story unfolded. Definitely recommend!

Thank you NetGalley and Charlotte Rixon!

Love is really all about fate and luck. Missed opportunities and mistakes can change the course of your entire life and that’s the case in this one. The focus isn’t on the love of your life but the one who got away. Heartbreaking at times and hopeful at others this one really pulled at my heartstrings.

Thank you #StMartinsPress and #NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review

I have a soft spot for stories about romantic relationships that span multiple decades and this second chance romance really satisfied that for me. Benjamin and Clara meet in 2000 while in college and their shared story is emotional, long-lasting and captivating. When Clara is still filled with regret 20 years later, she explores if it’s too late to make amends for what happened. I would definitely recommend this touching and complex book.

In The One That Got Away, Clara has all the reasons to be happy. She has an amazing job and a handsome husband who makes her feel safe. But despite it all, her heart is not content. Inside, Clara still yearns for the one that got away. Two decades ago she fell in love with a boy named Ben until something awful happened and their love was torn apart. Clara has tried to put him in her past, but when a bombing happens in a place she knows Ben used to frequent, Clara can no longer ignore her past or her heart. She must go and see if Ben is okay. She must try to repair what is broken, if only it isn't too late.

Rixon captures the overwhelming, heady feeling of first love in all it's bright and dark moments. She also captures how one decision, one minute, can forever alter someone's life. While the story is about love, I wouldn't say it is a romance. Clara and Ben's story is both wonderful and painful. They have so many struggles, both in their separate lives and in their relationship with each other and I found myself rooting for their health and happiness, but wasn't sure if I wanted them to find that with each other. I love stories that feature second chances at love, but the complexity of this story kept me wondering if that was really what they both needed.

This book stuck with me, but I wouldn't recommend it to those looking for a light romance. It deals greatly with mental health, grief, alcohol abuse, sexual abuse and other issues. While I think it is well written, I felt very conflicted throughout which made it difficult for me to fully connect with the characters.

Thank you to @netgalley and @stmartinspress for the digital copy in exchange for my honest review.

Very interesting read! The book pulled me in from the start and I wanted to see how it ended. Try it and see if this book is for you!

I loved this book. It was a classic love story with a shocking twist that you won't see coming. I highly recommend this book.