Cover Image: Sudden Death

Sudden Death

A continuation of the DI Kelly Porter series. Great story set in the Lake District.
Lots of twists and turns. Well worth reading.
I would say it helps to have read the previous books in the series.
#SuddenDeath #NetGalley I love the Kelly Porter series not only for the main character but for the breathtaking scenery in the Lake District which is one of my favourite places in the UK. The storyline for this installment is quite horrific and gruesome but it is well written and fast paced with lots of action which I love. Despite the harrowing storyline I liked the fact that this case brought Kelly and Johnny closer again and I look forward to the next installment in this series.
I absolutely adore the Detective Porter series and I was delighted to get the opportunity to review the newest book. I loved the plot and read the book over one sitting as I was so engrossed. It was a brilliant read and I look forward to reading Detective Porter books for many years to come!
Another excellent addition to the series, which I have loved from the start.  Excellent plot, and character, and all the elements, that as a devout reader of the series would expect.  Looking forward to the next one
Sudden Death begins with a dramatic helicopter crash in the Lakes, right at the time a number of fell runners are competing. At any time this would be an awful event, but once the police learn who was on the helicopter it becomes a rather different investigation.
Not having read any of the others in the series I’m not sure how much is already known about DI Kelly Porter, but this read perfectly well without knowing any other details.
The ins and outs of the situation quickly became a much bigger story than I expected. Unfortunately, the storyline was not a pleasant one and the cover-ups involved do not make for comfortable reading.
This is the first of this series that I have read but I really enjoyed it. Some great characters in Kelly, Kate and Johnny. Ted sounds like a great character too. Gripping storyline a bit harrowing a times.
I love this series, love these well plotted and riveting novels. This is another excellent addition that kept me hooked and guessing.
The Lake District setting is as fascinating as usual, I was glad to catch up with the characters, the solid mystery surprised me till the end.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher for this arc, all opinions are mine
Another brilliant read from Rachel Lynch. I love this series.

I really enjoyed the developments in Kelly's personal life in this book, especially seeing her close friendship with Kate.

I loved how the incident at the centre of this story brought Kelly and Johnny into close contact again.

Ted is always a joy and I never read a Kelly Porter book without worrying he won't make it through. He's such a brilliant character.

The ending of this one left me reeling. I am very excited to see where this goes next.
Love this series and this latest one did not disappoint, had my gripped all the way through, definitely worth reading
I love these books and have read a few. This one was just as good as the others in the series and I found it very difficult to put down. I love reading about police procedures and how they find clues and then find out who did the crime. Very enjoyable. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A well-written, fast-paced thriller that kept my interest until the very end. A recommended read.
My thanks to Canelo Crime for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Sudden Death’ by Rachel Lynch.

This is Book 10 in Lynch’s popular series of police procedurals set in the Lake District featuring D.I. Kelly Porter. As with most ongoing crime fiction series, sufficient background is provided for readers new to the series. I have read and enjoyed a few of the previous ones and plan to read them all.

As the title suggests the case at the centre of this novel involves a sudden and shocking death - or rather deaths. For maximum effect I would suggest reading ‘cold’ as I did.

In ‘Sudden Death’ Lynch effectively uses the landscape of the Lake District including its lakes and mountains. She also highlights the work of the Keswick Mountain Rescue Team.

‘Sudden Death’ was again a solid police procedural combined with elements of a political thriller. Added to this is its well realised characters; especially the dynamics between members of Kelly’s team. One of the pleasures of reading an ongoing series is following the development of its recurring characters.

I was rather hoping that the gorgeous Glynn ‘The Goat’ Cortantes, one of the runners in the Scafell Round fell race, might have a bigger role but alas like Kelly and Kate I only could admire him fleetingly from a distance.

Overall, ‘Sudden Death’ and the D.I. Kelly Porter series overall is what I look for in a police procedural series.
Fast paced
Gripping
Mystery
A helicopter crash….was is it a accident?  Or, could it be sabotage?
A story that will keep you on your toes wondering what the ending will be.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest review.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Having read all the books in this series, I knew I was in for an exciting crime thriller, an excellent police procedural with a compassionate and intelligent detective. This book had all that and more. Kelly Porter is reeling from her partner's betrayal, and they are living apart. When a  helicopter crashes amidst a fell race on Scarfell Pike, Kelly and her partner mountain rescue expert, Johnny, are forced to work together. In this intriguing political thriller, Kelly has to use all her detective skills to get justice for the innocent victims of this case as powerful forces attempt to suppress the truth.

I love the team dynamic in this story and the balance of the personal and professional life of DI Kelly Porter. The plot is twisty, the pacing perfect, and the outcome believable.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.
A highly entertaining read as I have come to expect from Rachel Lynch, I have dipped in and out of this series since reading book four, and this one, Sudden Death, is a cracking addition, featuring DI Kelly Porter, and set in the Lake District. This is a series where the subplot concerning Kelly's personal life is equally as compelling as the ongoing investigations, and it isn't essential to have read all of the previous books. In the opening chapters, Kelly is on her way to the crown court in Carlisle when she gets a call from her friend DS Kate Umshaw, ringing to offer support in the high-profile case she's involved in. As the defendant is convicted, Kelly is called to a scene of a chopper that has landed on top of racegoers on Scafell Pike. The two pilots are dead but is it an accident?

Kelly is smart, capable and honest, and a tireless and determined investigator who puts everything she has into her mission to get justice for victims. Kelly is forced to work with her ex, Johnny. Sudden Death is a gripping story of the highest quality and it's wonderfully pacy, dark, and rife with shadiness though with never a dull moment. I am already looking forward to book #11, as well as catching up on those books I've missed.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Canelo via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
The story starts as a follow on from the last book with Ian Burton getting sent down. Kelly is not sure what she feels when she sees her ex, Johnny in the courtroom. When news of what sounds like a tragic accident ripples through the court she and Johnny find themselves together doing what they do best. On arrival at Scafell Pike all they can see is total devastation & quickly work together helping the injured until the rest of the emergency services arrive.

The helicopter seems to have lost control and crashed on top of a fell runners race. It also seems that there's only one survivor in the cabin. When they find out who the passengers were they wonder how they knew each other, a high ranking Government Official and a self made Billionaire...

As ever Kelly and the team set quickly to work and uncover that the crash wasn't an accident....As ever fast paced, and gripping I absolutely loved it! I also like seeing glimpses of Kelly's home life and how she interacts with her team. Such a good read!
DI Kelly Porter is called to the scene of an horrific helicopter crash in the picturesque area of Wast Water and Scafell Pike in Cumbria. It is a scene I’d utter devastation as the chopper came down just where some fell runners were competing in a race. In the helicopter the two pilots are dead as is one of the passengers - the notorious and ultra wealthy Bartholomew Kennedy- Craig. The other passenger is the Right Honourable Lord Donald Reilly, high up in the government. He is horribly injured but clinging to life.

The rescue effort is difficult and dangerous and around 17 people are dead. Kelly knows media attention will be intense and she can’t afford to put a foot wrong. With air accident investigators also at the scene it soon becomes apparent that the helicopter was tampered with, or sabotaged. Who would do such a thing? And who was the target?

Kelly’s ex, Johnny, is also there investigating. They had fallen out over his testimony in a trial that just finished but this case brings them closer together again. What is unclear is what Lord Reilly was doing in the chopper with Kennedy-Craig. He was at a nearby climate conference but did not use the hotel room that was booked for him.

The media are soon making lurid assumptions about goings on at Kennedy-Craig’s sumptuous mansion in the area. The wives both seem unaffected by the news. Kelly must peel back the layers of family drama to get to the truth of this sordid case.

I’m not sure why but this book didn’t resonate with me as much as it might have. Possibly there was too much tromping around in the freezing weather and too much helicopter jargon. Nevertheless it was an engaging read and I certainly couldn’t pick whodunit until it was revealed. Many thanks to Netgalley and Canelo for the much appreciated arc which I reviewed voluntarily and honestly.
I do love a book series and I have read all of the previous DI Kelly Porter books and here we are at book no 10. The scenario of a helicopter crash in the Lake District would be bad enough but when it coincides with a fell race it takes the devastation to another level. Oh and then add in that the helicopter had been tampered with and you really have an enquiry to be getting on with. I could carry on with a few more instances of ‘and then’ but suffice to say there are several strands to the enquiry. By the time you get to book 10 there is a feeling of stepping into cosy slippers as you are familiar with the main characters but Rachel Lynch manages to keep it fresh and I hope there are more books to follow.
I love a DI Kelly Porter book and this was no exception to the rule. Full of mystery, tense moments, and some home life reality it is a great story to get into.
4.25⭐

After a slow start Sudden Death became an enthralling police procedural.

That sees protagonist DI Kelly Porter and her ex-Johnny called to the mountain side of Scarfell Pike. After a helicopter crashes killing dozens on the ground who were taking part in a fell race and all but one aboard.

And as Kelly and Johnny rush to the scene. They are faced with utter devastation; and learn the two men aboard the helicopter were the Right Honourable Lord Reilly and a billionaire Tory donor Bartholomew Kennedy-Craig. And as Kelly and her team at Eden House are tasked with finding out what happened and if the crash was accidental or sabotage. The pressure from the media, the victims families, Home Office and Prime Minister mounts.

Then it's revealed the cause of the crash was sabotage.

But who would want to sabotage the helicopter and why were these two men even together?

And by answering those questions. The team learn some dark and disturbing truths and find a killer I wasn't expecting.

And with intriguing characters and a beautiful setting. This is a series I want to read more off, and it's a story I would happily recommend to others.