Cover Image: Book of Knives

Book of Knives

A slow slow burn. I am honestly largely confused and found the plot very difficult to follow and even when I could follow I wasn't engaged because of how slow of a burn it was. This book I think would have made more sense if I was more passionate about the paranormal aspect of thrillers. I just didn't vibe with it but it may make more sense to those who love the specific sub genre!!
A suspenseful thriller with a mysterious plot. The story was slow to start and I think it gets exciting as I continued listening. The narrator did a great job telling this suspenseful story. An entertaining thriller.

Disclaimer: Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for this Audiobook, I received review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
This slow burn horror novel failed to grab my interest and I just had a really hard time getting into this story. The story begins following a widow Nora who finds comfort in her friend Paul. Paul and Nora decide to get married and things were going fine till one day Paul gets a message from his estranged brother about his parents poor health. They decide to fix up the summer camp that his parents lived on to sell. To accomplish this they end up moving to the camp for a few months to help fix it up. When they get there Nora is able to meet Paul’s brothers family who are very strange especially the wife who seems a little unhinged she is obsessed with these 13 knives that were passed down to her. As they start working strange things start happening including the 13 knives going missing one by one. We follow Nora as she try’s to figure out what was going on.

When I read the synopsis this book seemed right up my alley as I love horror thrillers that take place at camps and in nature but this book I really struggled with. I just did not like nor care about the characters. This combined with the fact this is a slow burn and kind of depends on you caring about the characters really caused me to struggle. I did listen to the audio and did enjoy the narrator I thought they were easy to understand and engaging in fact I don’t think I would have made it through without the audiobook. I will say this story may be for others who can relate better with the characters I just found them strange and annoying. I would like to thank the publishers for a chance to read this book for an honest review.
Sadly, a DNF. After the loss of her husband, our main character finds comfort in his best friend, Paul. Later, they go out to meet Paul’s family where our main character feels as if she is going crazy. This is a very slow burn book, which is not for me. Also, the inner conversation with the dead husband? That was just too much for me.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* Great fall read! would buy, recommend and reread, also watch if made into a show lmao
This book did not stay with me.  I read it a month ago and I know there was a knife set and the knives kept going missing one by one.  There was a lot of family drama and I remember not being impressed.  Like inlaws accepting the protagonist and how she comes to spend a weekend with her husband's family and is blamed for the disappearing knifes.  Also, there's always the question of what her relationship is with her husband and I can’t remember too much from a month ago, but this is not a book that really spoke to me.
This was a great read and enjoyed listening to it ! I loved the cover and narrator !!! I was really happy to be able to read this audiobook! I definitely recommend this book if you love mysteries and a good plot!
This book wasn’t my favorite. It was really slow and didn’t hold my interest. It’s about a woman that goes to her husband’s family home/camp and mysterious things happen there
This book was pretty good but very weird! I would NOT have stayed nearly that long with all those weirdos running around that place. Half the time I spent wondering WFT is even happening here and WHY are the normal people staying??? In the end it's great that the kids were spared/saved from their weird-ass parents! I will for sure be looking for more books by this author!

#BookofKnives
#NetGalley
A SLAY THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10 PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A BRAIN.
I had high hopes for this audiobook since the blurb sounded intriguing but it didn’t work out for me. It seems like the perfect thriller: isolated location, odd characters you can’t trust, strange possibly paranormal happenings, but there was no suspense, sense of dread or creepy atmosphere. Most of the time it did not feel very cohesive-I felt either bored like nothing was really happening or confused because it meandered a lot. I kept listening hoping the ending would piece everything together but it was underwhelming and left me with so many unanswered questions.

Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for this ALC.
Interesting and well written I just personally couldn’t get into the story. Just a little slow and unbelievable at some points. Slow start and end. Not sure where the thriller part in this was. Very slow and just couldn’t engage in it.  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Book # 41: Book of Knives by Lise Haines

There are thirteen knives. One by one they begin to disappear

Nora, semi-recently married to Paul after the loss of her husband, didn't expect Hidden Lake Camp to be in a state of ruin when they go to fix up the place. To Paul, the camp is the past he'd just as soon bury. Nora agreed to drive north with him to get his elderly parents settled while he makes enough repairs to sell the property. Along with Paul and his son, are Paul's family (brother, wife, and 4 kids), who are difficult to handle. When Nora's sister-in-laws' knives start to go missing, and talk of ghosts, secret rooms, and strange events start to happen, Nora starts to question everyone.

This started started off bumpy for me, as you see the quick start of Paul and Nora's relationship into marriage and goes from there. Nora thought she knew Paul, after years of friendship, but when she goes back to his childhood home, things seem to change. I like the dynamic between Nora and her two nieces, and wish there would have been more in that.

Aside from Lily and Jones, Nora's nieces, the whole family is odd, and even the girls have their quirks. Between a knife obsessed mother, a death obsessed boy, a girl obsessed with ghost, and a dad obsessed with birds, the whole family gave off creepy vibes. The writing itself was good, but the plot didn't have me hooked.

I rated this book with 2 🌟!

I'd like to say a huge thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

#readingchallenge #reading2022 #fallreading2022 #booklover #bookworm #bookwormlife #booksofinstagram #bookstagram #audiobook #netgalley #readinggoals #bookofknives #lisehaines #lisehainesbooks #mysterybooks #thriller
A different sort of thriller. In this book you have a strange cast of characters. Our main character and the maybe ghost of her dead husband. His best friend (who happens to be her new husband) and his eccentric family including one relative and her collection of knives which start to go missing one by one.

This felt like several stories in one as we follow our main character still coping with the loss of her husband years later, adjusting to her marriage and their struggle to start a family. Also a story of a bizarre family coming together. Finally a murder mystery.

It was a little hard to follow at times as a result, but it definitely made for rich story telling at its heart.
Thanks to Netgalley I was able to listen to the audio version of the book. The highest I can rate it is 3 and that may be pushing it. I felt is was a very slow moving story that left the reader with unanswered questions.
Enjoyment: 4
Total rating: 4.21

Book of Knives won't be everyone's cup of tea. It is not a thrilling book; instead, it's a slow-moving story. With that said, it worked for me. Haines' prose is beautiful and draws the reader in. I felt like I was sitting by the fire as Nora shared her gut-wrenching, suspenseful, emotional story. The atmosphere is dark, tense, and claustrophobic. The characterization is superb; each character is unique and fleshed out.

If you're not sure slow burners work for you, try the audiobook. Eve Passeltiner emoted Nora amazingly. It added to the feeling of getting to know someone and bonding with them.

Disclaimer: In exchange for an honest review, I am thankful to the publishers and NetGalley for providing a copy of Book of Knives
What It's About:  Nora, a filmmaker and a grieving widow marries her friend Paul, a contractor, not too long after the passing of her late husband, Takeo. Soon after, Nora and Paul, with Leon, Paul's eighteen year old son head to his family campground Hidden Lake Camp to take care of Paul's elderly parents, and fix up the place before selling the property. After a family dinner, one of Salish's (Paul's sister-in-law) novelty knives goes missing and strange things begin to happen in the place.

My thoughts: This was a slow-burn, suspense-filled story with an interesting premise. I liked the setting which made this story eerie and creepy. The mystery element was pretty okay too.
I've read and listened to this book and the narrator did a great narration.

Unfortunately, overall, this book did not work for me. It meandered a lot, without much going on although it wasn't lacking in suspense. Nora's inner monologue with her deceased husband was way too overwhelming and I didn't like it at all.

As always, please do not let my personal opinion deters you from picking up this book. You may enjoy it much more than I did!

Pub. Date: Out now

***Thank you Dreamscape Media and Netgalley for this gifted listening copy. All opinions expressed are my own.***
I DNF, this audiobook at about 20%. I feel so bad that I dnf it I don’t know if it was because I wasn’t in the mood for a thriller at the time. However, what I did read of the book was not awful. I felt like it was a little bland and almost didn’t have much to it. I kind of felt like a conversation between two people was what I was reading. Kinda like a script for a movie. Which you think would be interesting, but it just didn’t work for this. I did not read it in its entirety but I still give it 2 stars. Just a note for all reviewers some books work for some people and some just don’t. I’m so sorry.
Nora didn't expect Hidden Lake Camp to be in a state of ruin. Dock full of rotten boards, smashed windows, cabins falling apart. To her new husband, Paul, the camp is the past he'd just as soon bury. Nora agreed to drive north with him to get his elderly parents settled while he makes enough repairs to sell the property. Only a few months, Paul said. The summer camp, however, and its deep lake have other plans.

After Nora's first meal with his difficult family, one knife-part of a prized collection-goes missing. By the time the fourth and fifth vanish from behind locked doors and out from under watchful eyes, Nora can barely sleep. There's talk of ghosts, secret rooms and someone at the summer camp found dead in the tall grass.

I requested this one based on the cover - It was October and I was more than ready for a spooky season thriller! Unfortunately I wouldn’t really call this one a thriller, more of a mystery, and a slow burn. I found the beginning to be confusing. There are a LOT of characters, none of which are particularly likable. I kept wondering why the MC put up with staying at the camp for MONTHS - girl, leave those crazy in laws!

The story line never really picked up for me and I found myself getting distracted. This may be because I went in expected a fast paced thriller. That’s what I get for judging a book by its cover.
DNF @ 35%

I had high hopes for this one. It started off with an interesting family reunion premise at one of my favorite settings, a summer camp. However, the further I go into reading the story the more it dragged. I understand the need to backstory, but by 35% I felt like I should have started to see some action or felt intrigued about where the plot was headed, but I didn't.

I'm not one to DNF without trying out my read in an alternate format, so I decided to give the audiobook a shot, but despite a great narrator, I was still unable to connect with the story.

I do think that this book could still work for some readers, but they need to know going into the book that this is very much not a thriller.

A huge thank you to Poisoned Pen Press for my gifted copy!