Cover Image: Forget Me Not

Forget Me Not

Wooooo okay 😅 this book was hearbreaking and the sweetest thing ever. Stevie & her girlfriend of 2 years Nora unfortunately live in a small, very homophobic town and have to keep their relationship a secret. I hate that for them but love it as a premise. Imagine my heartbreak when Stevie gets into an accident and ends up losing her memory of the last two years 😭😭😭 and her extremely shitty friends decide to pop up and LIE like little brats (ugh I am not over it).
Nora’s notes give me so much joy—I love that it’s an unusual (at least for my usual reads) mode of communicating what’s going on, and Nora is just a joy anyway. I am endlessly proud of Stevie standing up for herself, and finding real friendship post-accident. I don’t want to spoil but gosh the last bit of the book absolutely had me in tears 😭😭😭 I loved it so very much
🏫🐄🗡️
“ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ɪꜰ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɢᴏ ʙᴀᴄᴋ…ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴛᴇʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪᴛ’ꜱ ᴏᴋᴀʏ. ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴛᴇʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɴᴏ ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴡʜᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰᴀʟʟ ɪɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ, ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏ ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴜʀᴄʜ ᴏʀ ᴀɴʏᴏɴᴇ ᴇʟꜱᴇ ꜱᴀʏꜱ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ’ʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪᴛ’ꜱ ʜᴀʀᴅ, ɴᴏᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ꜱʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴀᴠᴏɪᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀʀᴅ ᴛɪᴍᴇꜱ. ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴛᴇʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ’ᴍ ꜱᴏ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ꜱʜᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ ᴡɪᴛʜ, ᴀɴᴅ ɪ’ᴅ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴘᴇɴᴅ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ꜱᴏ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ꜱᴇᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ʏᴏᴜ ꜱᴇᴇ ɪɴ ʜᴇʀ.”
Alyson Derrick has officially become one of my favorite authors. She truly wrote a book was will stay with me for the rest of my life. Excuse me while I go cry over it forever.
Let me start off this review by saying please don’t let my rating deter you from reading this book. Forget Me Not is a gorgeous story that hit a little too close to home that made it harder for me to fully enjoy it.

Stevie and Nora have secretly been dating for two years in their ultra Conservative town and plan on moving to California at the end of the summer. But when Stevie has an accident, she loses her memories from the past two years, thus forgetting Nora altogether. I do wish there was more of Stevie and Nora’s relationship prior to Stevie’s accident, though Nora’s journal entries to Stevie help fill the gap. The two are extremely adorable together and their relationship is definitely the highlight of the book for me.

Go into this book knowing most of the secondary characters are garbage humans. Stevie’s “best friends” are awful people and don’t get me started on Nora’s mom who is a literal trash can. Spoiler alert, but I was happy to see Stevie’s parents be supportive towards the end of the book.

Overall, Forget Me Not is a heartbreaking beautiful story of true love and finding your way back home.

I received an ARC from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
this was a beautifully done romance novel, it does a great job in keeping you invested in the story and the characters. I enjoyed what Alyson Derrick wrote this and getting to meet these characters. I was glad I was able to enjoy this young adult novel.

"There’s a pressure building in my sinuses that makes me feel like my head is going to explode, which would probably be the very last thing it needs right now. I have to get out of here. I can feel it all the way to my bones, this need to run. I throw my legs over the bed and push myself up onto them, but they’re too weak. My body gives out underneath me and I end up on my hands and knees, crawling. Through the black spots strobing across my field of vision, I see a door ajar, yellow light escaping through the crack."
Alyson has been on my radar ever since SHE GETS THE GIRL, and her solo debut did not disappoint. Full of heart, with a touch of humor and a cast of instantly lovable characters, FORGET ME NOT is not a book to miss. This is quite possibly going to clock in as one of my favorite books of the year!
i just just finished reading FORGET ME NOT by alyson derrick, a sapphic young adult contemporary romance about two girls in a secret relationship—stevie & nora—who plan to leave their small, conservative town & move to california where they can be together freely. but after a tragic fall takes stevie’s memory, she’s unable to remember nora at all.

i first fell in love with alyson’s writing in SHE GETS THE GIRL (which she wrote with her wife, rachael lippincott) & every page of her writing in this solo debut was beautiful. FORGET ME NOT is romance as it’s meant to be: tender, devastating, and hopeful all at once. the main character, stevie, is a korean-american lesbian living in a town where very few people look like her & even less are queer. though the small town of wyatt she lives in is fictional, her experiences are very real ones. as a black lesbian from rural ohio, i saw myself in stevie; the way she made herself smaller in the face of homophobia & racism, the loneliness she felt, and most devastatingly—the shame in her own identity her living situation caused.

but as the dedication promises, it gets better. as hopeless as stevie’s situation is with her losing not only herself but the love of her life, she’s able to find light in the darkness that looms over her life in herself, in nora, and in the most unlikely of places.

FORGET ME NOT was a breathtaking ode to the power of love, hope, and dreams in the face of impossible odds. i highly recommend everyone pre-order it before it releases in april. 🌷🤍
I thought parts of this book were really good. I love YA contemporary, especially LGBTQ YA, and I really loved the relationship between the two girls in this story. I think (as a vegan) that there were some weird parts in the veganism discussions, but overall that it definitely doesn't take away from the story. I will definitely pick up more books by Alyson Derrick. 4 stars!
Sometimes you start a book and you just know from the start that it will be a shining 5/5 and that it will stay with you for a long time. This was one of those books. I loved every second of it! Such a beautiful book about losing someone and finding your way back. I really felt their connection and love throughout the entire book.

From the beginning of the book its clear why Stevie and Nora need to leave the small town and its beautifully shown through the way they keep their relationship hidden. When Stevie gets in the accident and forgets the past two years her ”friends” acts horrible and tries to get Stevie to become someone else that she wasn’t, and her mother tries to re-establish a close relationship since they’ve grown apart. Stevie has also hidden her relationship with Nora so well that she forgets it completely herself.

I love that we dont only see Steve’s pov in here as she finds her way back to herself and who she is, but also get to read letters that Nora writes to Stevie (but doesn’t send).

I would honestly recommend this book to everyone - its so beautiful, raw, emotional and full of love! Alyson Derrick really did the damn thing with this, I cant wait to see what she writes next! I love both this book and She gets the girl (which she co-wrote with her wife Rachel <3)
Sometimes you start a book and you can tell right away that it's going to be great, that it's going to stick with you for a while and you won't want it to end. This is that book. What a beautiful story about losing someone and finding them again. I devoured the entire thing in one sitting because I didn't want to step away from Stevie and Nora's love. Their chemistry and connection was felt the whole way through. I'm going to he gushing over this book for awhile and recommending it to everyone I can.

A perfect 5/5

READ THIS BOOK!!!
FORGET ME NOT by Alyson Derrick is one of the best books I've read in 2022.

The stakes in FORGET ME NOT are so high--and so well established within the first 45 pages of the book. It's extremely clear why Stevie and Nora need to leave the conservative town they are in and this is beautifully demonstrated through the ways the two of them keep their relationship a well-hidden secret. The secrecy is clearly needed, including Stevie keeping her relationship hidden from her so-called "best" friends.

Because these stakes are so clear and so high, Stevie's accident is especially distressing. And it's devastating when she does not remember Nora at all.

As Stevie tries to recover the two-year gap in her memory, she's met with hidden agendas from her so-called friends (who are being horrible) and her mother (who wants to re-establish a close bond with her daughter). Stevie has hidden her secret relationship with Nora so well that it remains hidden from herself.

One thing the author does so well in this book is manage information. We get the back story of Stevie and Nora in small increments, learning along with Nora. This works well because, as a reader, I knew the significance of this relationship and was impatient for Stevie to remember Nora. Feeling this way also matched the impatience Stevie felt to regain her memories. Ir was beautiful to see their relationship unfold--again.

The two things that pulled me out of the story were three under-developed side characters. The worst was Nora's mother, who was one-note mean. Her ultimate act of hatefulness was not surprising. There was a missed opportunity to give her a little depth, to add another side to her. Stevie's two friends--former childhood best friends--also were one-note, especially the night they were at Truck Night. A glimpse of them in flashback as the excellent friends they once were would have gone a long way.

Overall, I can't wait to get the pre-order into my own hands for another read and to share with my students. It's an excellent book and there's so much to learn from it.
MY HEART MY HEART MY HEARTTTTTT

this book is so raw, so honest, and so full of love. i am in love with these characters, and this story as a whole. love is so powerful and beautiful and Derrick has captured this perfectly. I AM OBSESSED
I was not sure what to expect when I started reading this book, and even had to stop about 5% in to breathe because of all the angst and the roller coaster ride, but it gave me a queer 50 first dates vibe and loved the characters!