Cover Image: A Most Efficient Murder

A Most Efficient Murder

A finely done classic style mystery that adequately meets most of the criteria for quality in the genre but doesn’t offer much that we haven’t seen before.

This is a fairly well-plotted and structured mystery and pays good homage to golden age mysteries. But it’s also one of those books that I probably won’t remember a thing about in a few months because there’s nothing about it that stands out from its peers.

I’m never bothered by slow pacing in a mystery, but I do need more atmosphere and sense of place out of this style, and there’s little to none of it present here. The characters too are competently drawn but unmemorable, and all of this adds up to the reader’s mind wandering, especially when using audiobook format. It should be said that this is not the fault of the narrator, who was lovely.

In the end, this isn’t an unpleasant read at all and there are no specific quality issues with the mystery itself. But I need more atmosphere out of a book like this if there isn’t anything unusual about the story itself.
With thanks to Net Galley and the Author for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review. From start to finish I found this book to be excellently entertaining - I truly wish to spend more adventures with Mr Quayle.
Need a new mystery to read for 2023? This is a perfect read for Agatha Christie or Louise Penny fans!

Thank you so much to @booksgosocialaudio for giving me a chance to listen to this on audio via @netgalley

If you are looking to start a new series that is like Agatha Christie, look no further than this book. It’s a new mystery and the protaganist is Mr Quayle, a veteran of the First World War who is now the secretary of the wealthy Earl of Unsworth. We don’t know exactly everything about Mr. Quayle's past, but the true mystery is when a body of a dead girl appears in his lordships’ garden during a momentous party.

The characters are well flushed out and you find yourself invested in both Quayale and the Inspector, trying to find more information about the girl and her connection to the list of suspects within the family.

This was such a nice surprise. The audio was also well performed by Rafe Beckley and I highly recommend it!
This is an excel book for those that enjoy english wit. Whether or not it was intentional, there are plenty of moments that were comical and made this book that much better. However it felt a bit hoity-toity at times and sometimes I want more a gritty thriller. If english detective mysteries are your thing, this is perfect for you. It lent elements of Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes to the tale, but was no as puzzle built as those two Christie's stories and Holmes's cases.
A Most Efficient Murder by Anthony Slayton Narrated by Rafe Beckley is the first book in h=the new promising The Mr. Quayle Mysteries, series it did take me a while to get into it but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. This book had great twists and turns throughout and I really like all the main characters  they were very likeable and convincingly human. .
The Narrator Rafe Beckley was excellent for this audiobook and I am looking forward to the next one within Mr. Quayle Mysteries series..
The first in a series of Mr Quayle who is working as secretary to Lord Unsworth. Everyone had secrets even Mr Quayle who found he shared a past with the Police Inspector in charge of the murder at Unsworth Castle.
Trusted by the Earl to investigate and keep the families reputation intact Mr Quayle will have to piece together this complicated Jigsaw puzzle.
This audio book was narrated by Rafe Beckley and l cannot recommend it enough. A clear precise telling of the story with very distinct characters who you can see in your minds eye. The tone of the story takes you back to a different social time of the 1920’s and the lingering effects of the First World War. I will be looking with great interest for the next in the series.
Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for sending this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.
A very easy to listen to audiobook.
The narrator had a voice that was comfortable to listen to too.
Interesting and well written I just personally couldn’t get into the story. Just a little slow and unbelievable at some points. Slow start and end. Very slow and just couldn’t engage in it.  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Enjoyed this audiobook, good narrator.  Liked the characters and story. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to listen to this audiobook
Great mystery story, fantastic narrator, I really enjoyed it!
Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for the opportunity to listen to this ARC.
I really enjoyed this audiobook. This story definitely has that classic murder mystery vibe, but make itself its own. Very different from more modern murder mysteries. I can not wait until the second book in the series.
A Most Efficient Murder
The Mr. Quayle Mysteries
Book 1
By Anthony Slayton
Narrated by Rafe Buckley

What is it about 🔪
When a party thrown by the reclusive Lord Unsworth is marred by murder, his loyal secretary, Mr. Quayle, must unravel a web of red-herrings and old family secrets in this English country house mystery.

My thoughts
I really tried to get into this book but I really couldn't get into it.  I really didn't care about any of the characters and didn't really care about the whodoneit, but on the positive Rafe Buckley does a really good job with the audiobook.
I am not sure that I would have continued to read this, if it hadn't been an audiobook.  I found I really didn't care about any of the characters and I was pretty sure whodunnit from the beginning.  I won't be reading any more in the series, because I really didn't care about any of the characters.
I tried.  I really tried.  I tried three different times to get into this book so I could fairly rate it, but it just didn't work for me.  I got through about 40% and, though I rarely dnf, I have to give this one a pass.
This was a fun murder mystery novel. I actually quite liked it. At first I didn’t think I was going to because like so many murder mysteries, it was plot heavy, with flat characters and I tend to like my characters a little more fleshed out than what is typical of this style.
Also, I typically can figure out the “mystery” straight away giving me nothing to really like about the book. But I did not figure it ALL out in this one. Here and there I had pieces but it was so much better orchestrated on the page than what I was thinking.
It did leave me with some questions, but I suppose that I’ll have to read the next one to get those answered.
Overall, I liked it a lot, will continue with the series, and would def recommend to anyone that likes the genre.

**Thank you NetGalley for the chance to listen to this audiobook and give my honest opinion.**
I found this book simply brilliant! I love Anthony Slayton's style, word choice, irony and his ability to create a rhythm in the story even without using shocking plot twists.

With A Most Efficient Murder, the author succeeded in creating a story that might well have been written in another era, say in the 20s, the time in which the story is set. It reminds me of Agatha Christie's works in that it is characterized by chorality: all characters participate in the investigation and in the denouement guided by Mr Quayle (basically Slayton's Poirot or Miss Marple, in fact there are more stories that tells about his investigastions and I hope more are coming). There are some minor red herrings and plot twists but I think the reader is entertained by Slayton's skillful construction of the course of the events and the fact that, just as it often happens, everyone keeps secrets (especially when it comes to aristocracy), some are bigger and more dangerous. I also enjoyed how Slayton describes characters: even if there are no detailed physical descriptions, their thoughts and expressions are portrayed so vividly that one can imagine them.

This narrator is the perfect choice for the book, he compliments the narration with his style and accent, he makes the story even more enjoyable.
The first Mr Quale book and what a smashing listen, based a few years after WW1 with the feel of Agatha Christie book. Secrets and lies abound in this tale, good characters and pacing and Rafe Beckley is spot on as the narrator, and hope he narrates the rest in series.
I received this audiobook from Booksgosocial audio and Netgalley for a review.
This was a better listen than I expected as I enjoy a modern day psychological thriller rather than a 1920's murder mystery
That said it had plenty of twists to keep you guessing this is book 1 of a series but I personally won't be following the series not because I didn't enjoy the book just its not my type of book
I listened to this book.  It wasn't awful.  But it wasn't wonderful either.  At the end of the day, it wasn't even memorable.  Sorry.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced audio book in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars

Enjoyable mystery with excellent narration.

Mr. Quayle is the new secretary for the Earl of Unsworth.  During a party for the Earl’s favorite niece, a woman is found dead in the garden.  The year is 1925 so its good old fashioned sleuthing to determine who the woman is and why she was murdered.

Looking forward to the next installment.