Cover Image: The Drift

The Drift

This book defines the word gripping! I just read the majority of The Drift yesterday on an 8 hour plane ride. Usually, I break up my travel time with napping, some reading, an in-flight movie, chatting, and looking out the window. Not this time! I started this book at my hotel, continued to read it as the plane took off, and was 25 pages from the end by the time the plane landed. I had to be nudged to get off the plane because I wanted to sit right there and finish the novel.

First thing I did when I was safely back at my house was read those last 25 pages!

I have only minor complaints with the book. A few sections got bogged down with minutiae and details, in my opinion. Also, some of the conversations between characters seemed laborious and forced. Dozens of characters are introduced in the beginning, and I was having trouble keeping them sorted in my mind, which made the first third go slowly since I had to keep referring back to refresh my memory as to who was who. I’m giving this book 4 1/2 stars but overall I really liked it so I’m rounding it up to 5 stars.

This novel is dripping with gore in the most visceral way. I loved the frozen, white-out blizzard conditions, and the claustrophobic locations. Reading the intensely vivid descriptions, I could feel the characters’ discomfort in my own body.

CJ Tudor is one clever author. I was enjoying each of the three separate stories well enough, and then when they all came together at about the 80% mark, wow! I relished the feeling of being completely blindsided when it was finally revealed how the different characters connected.

Many thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of this book!

This book is a perfect read for the winter. Although at times, if I was not paying attention, I could easily get lost between the timelines. I love the fact that it had an apocalyptic theme to it. The only downside for me was that the author in my opinion spent a lot in the first half of the book apart from that I absolutely recommend it.
Catching up on reviews this week. No complaints here! Just not totally memorable. Overall 3 stars. Didn’t love it and didn’t hate it. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you netgalley for the ARC copy. I am a fan of CJ Tudor so I had to read this book. It is a closed circle horror story that has an "illness " . I wanted to love this, unfortunately it wasn't for me. I was able to guess what was going to happen. 3.5 stars
I'm going to sound like everyone else here with a critique for this book but there were way too many characters to keep up with across way too many perspectives that were way too similar.I kind of wish I could have kept track till the end because I want to know what happens, but this was a miss for me. CJ I'm sorry!!
For better or for worse, the world is currently neck-deep in zombie and virus fiction. To find a story that brings something new to the table amidst this (admittedly understandable) outbreak is a rare treat. As readers wade into THE DRIFT, it becomes evident early on that this is more than just another COVID book—even before reading Tudor's afterword explaining the idea's ironic timing.

For the bulk of the story, we follow three separate groups, from the points of view of one member of each. All three groups are in similar circumstances despite being located in a mountain "retreat" and a coach and sky car on their way to said retreat. All are trapped in dubious—and worsening—circumstances in the midst of a hostile environment. All are forced to cooperate with people they aren't sure they can trust. And if the weather or their current dilemma doesn't kill them, the plague... or one of its resulting situations... will.

The world has been set upon by Choler: a virus that spreads in every way imaginable (and a few that aren't). Should you contract it, one of two fates awaits you. Either you die, or you become a Whistler: a gaunt, red-eyed walking dead being. The only even remotely effective vaccine is processed from the plasma of the infected, leading to some morally dubious decisions for the sake of the Greater Good.

In the crashed coach, med student Hannah unravels a conspiracy involving her powerful physician father. Up in the sky, ex-cop Meg copes with memories of her past while attempting to save who she can. And at the mountain retreat, Carter and his fellow residents find themselves in the midst of a locked room murder mystery. But there's more to all three stories than is first evident.

Tudor masterfully weaves these three plots together into one overarching story. When you'll first see the linking tissue varies from reader to reader. But it's a rewarding process, which will leave readers putting the book down more than once simply to contend with a new revelation. If there is a weakness, it's that the web is so intricate that the third act requires a "Before I kill you, Mr. Bond" conversation between the last characters standing. Still, it's better to have this than be left in the lurch.

In the end, the truth of the story is both compelling and rewarding. And while the contemporary inspirations are quite visible, it's also clear that this isn't the point of the story. It's not a Pandemic Parable. The choices made, the beliefs held, and the rights and wrongs wrought don't require an earth-shattering event to be true. In the end, it's a story of love, revenge, guilt, and (in a strange way) hope—all timeless themes.
This book is creepy, but it's super slow. I know the author is building that sense of dread gradually, but it was just too slow for me.
There is not too much that I can write about this...

The author did a lot better before and I enjoyed her first books.

However, it seems like this book was a little too boring for me.
This book made my jaw drop multiple times. I am obsessed with CJ Tudor and love everything I have read of hers so far. Can’t wait til 2024 in Alaska 🤩
I have one thing and only one thing to say. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Tudor has never disappointed me. This one so far has been my favorite book in 2023. I am in awe. I ned to own a physical copy of this masterpiece.

Read if you have been hooked by "The Last of Us".
The Drift was a slow start for me. There are three narratives going on in some pandemic-y, almost post-apocalyptic, snow-filled world. I think part of the reason I had a harder time becoming invested was that every time I would start to want to know more about the narrative I was reading, it would switch to a different location. Instead of making me more engaged, it felt like stopping and starting over and over again. It wasn't until I was a little over halfway in the book that I really became hooked. Of course, you can't have any type of thriller without some sort of twist, so expect that.

Overall, the book was enjoyable and I liked it, but it wasn't anything that blew me away.
I enjoyed the mystery of this story and I wanted to see how everything connected.  There was a lot going on.
Many thanks to Random House and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Holy moly! Buckle your seat belts for this one because it’s a crazy ride!!!
There are three different stories going on at the same time in this book and it was a bit confusing at first, but then you put together how they all connect and it works! This was a little bit more horror than I expected but I still really liked it! Each chapter left you wondering what was going to happen next. This was a great, fast, winter read!

Thank you #netgalley and #ballantinebooks for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
3.5 stars.

A highly atmospheric read with several woven together bits. The construction style did lend itself to causing some confusion, which will be intriguing for some readers and frustrating for others. I found it interesting, though it did slow down my reading experience.

The narrative is quite dark and a solid blend of mystery, thriller, and horror with a touch of paranormal and dystopian. It also contains three separate isolated circle type storylines that work together. It's an interesting mix that made for an attention-grabbing read. Though I didn't find it necessarily scary in a jump scare kind of way, there is a good amount of gore, so be prepared going in as a reader. The writing is quite visceral does a great job of being fairly cinematic in its descriptions.

An interesting read with a lot of tense situations. The myriad of characters can become a bit confusing now and then, but it is overall fast-paced and gripping.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced reader copy.

C.J. Tudor may be a new favorite author for me. I enjoyed this. I also enjoyed The Burning Girls by her recently. The Drift is kind of a sci fi/dystopian - thriller more than a mystery-thriller like I think it is has been marketed as. There a few points where my brain was like what? Both positively and negatively. There is a bit of body horror.
CJ Tudor has never failed me.  No exception is her latest book.  THE DRIFT is a crazy, apocalyptic, wild ride.  This fast paced horror follows three people trapped in different locations during a winter snow storm:  two people trying to get to the “Retreat” and one already at the retreat trying to survive while it appears a killer is on the loose.  They are battling not only the wintery elements but also people infected by a virus, some of who turn into violent, human-killing Whistlers.

This book was so smartly written— I saw none of the craziness coming.  It was a crazy but entertaining wild ride.  If you’re ready for apocalyptic horror that will surprise you, grab this one.  Honestly grab any CJ Tudor book.  Again, she hasn’t failed me yet.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Ballantine Books Random House for a review copy of this book!
DNF
This is a no for me. There are too many characters. There are two too many POVS. The story doesn't feel interesting at all. I got 50 pages in and was bored. If I read 50 pages or more by that point and it's not interesting to me it's getting DNFed.
QUICK TAKE: I had no idea what to expect when I cracked open CJ Tudor’s THE DRIFT, and this is definitely a book worth going into blind (aka feel free to stop reading my review, it’s positive, haha). If you need more info, longer synopsis below, but this one is a wild ride. A lot of the fun is figuring out how these three individual stories fit together, and I loved that Tudor managed to end each chapter with fantastic cliffhangers. Definitely a little more horror-leaning than I was anticipating, and it’s not going to change the hearts and minds of readers, but if you’re looking for something entertaining and propulsive that you can crush in a Sunday afternoon, I highly recommend this book.
Book told from 3 points of view and 3 different areas during a massive snowstorm this book keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Hannah having survived a bus crash and is on her way with a group of students to the retreat as they fight for their lives against the elements and each other. Meg who's stuck in a cable car on their way up the mountain to the retreat when the power cuts out suspended in the air with strangers. Then there’s Carter who lives at the retreat on the mountain side with power outages. The other members are being picked. This was a quick read and keeps you intrigued.
The Drift is a perfect winter read.  I read this while a snowstorm was raging outside and it added a whole other dimension to this already unsettling and atmospheric book.

The plot was very intriguing and I really enjoyed Tudor’s writing style.  It was so engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed trying to figure out how everything was connected and how the timeline of events played a factor in the narrative.  This was my first book by this author and I will definitely be checking out more of their work.

Definitely check for trigger warnings if you have any and are in any way squeamish about gore.

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group/Ballantine Books, and C.J. Tudor for an e-arc of The Drift in exchange for an honest review.