Cover Image: Speak of the Devil

Speak of the Devil

⭐️⭐️ Jamie certainly was a snake. No wonder seven women are sitting around his severed head wondering which one of them did it. They all had good reasons to. I had high hopes for this story, but it didn’t come through for me. What could this man have done to have seven women want him dead. Your going to need to take notes to keep all the characters straight. This is never fun. You will probably refer back to the them often. The ending is very rushed and abrupt. I did not like that at all. #bestestbookclubever

3 whodunnit stars

This one starts with a gruesome unveiling of a man’s severed head. Jamie (well, just his head) is surrounded by seven diverse women who knew him, but who killed him?

The book dives into each of the women and their backstory with Jamie. He really was a terrible person, but did he deserve to be killed? The women include his wife, a friend whom he betrayed, a journalist, and the woman who raised him.

As the police try to find the murderer, my suspicions kept changing. The outcome made sense only when I heard the whole backstory. There were a lot of characters to keep track of in this one. The conclusion seemed a bit abrupt to me.

👺 DARK - DISTURBING - TWISTED - HAUNTING 👹 “Speak of the Devil” by Rose Wilding will send you on a thrilling downward spiral like no other!

BOOK REVIEW: 🖤🖤🖤🖤/5

Jamie Spellman is an awful human being. Never wanted by his mother, he treats women as the scum of the earth. He comes off as handsome and charming at the beginning … and then he sinks his claws in and the sinister acts follow ☠️

7 women all meet in a seedy hotel room after discovering Jamie’s severed head has been served on a platter for them … LITERALLY! All of these women have good reason to seek vengeance of him … but no one will own up to it! Jamie has either wronged, hurt, scarred, tricked or manipulated all of these women. He is literally the devil from their nightmares 👿. As the police investigate the murder, the women are desperate to keep their secrets hidden while trying to find out who actually did it!

Thank you kindly to @minotaur_books @macmillanusa @rose_wldng @netgalley for my advanced digital copy in exchange for my honest review! This brilliant debut novel releases on June 13, 2023!

3 stars
First, thank you to Minotaur Books and Netgalley for the eARC of Speak of the Devil by Rose Wilding. I think of REVENGE when I think of the Devil in this story. I will admit, I took notes on each character (there are many) just to keep everyone straight in my mind. Fast, short chapters with backstories and different POV's were the highlight of this book. The overall book was Meh and I would not recommend. Ending was abrupt and somewhat unsatisfying.

oof, this one was a doozy.

A man was murdered on New Year's Eve in 1999, and there were seven different women who all wanted him dead but didn't have the guts to chop his head off, which is how he was discovered.

Skeevy Jamie has played a role in many people's lives, whether through strengthened relationships or as a perpetrating r*pist. His origin story didn't start off well, and due to some sociopathic tendencies or perhaps even just mommy issues, he sought to destroy the lives of so many, and thanks to the archaic justice system, his acts of violence weren't handled properly, and he got away with one too many crimes.

Speak of the Devil is a "Good For Her" tale of how women fight back and take the justice they deserve since we seem to live in a world where that's so difficult to receive in the usual route.

I am really thankful to Minotaur Books, Macmillan Audio, NetGalley, and Rose Wilding for granting me both advanced audiobook and physical copies of this book before it's set to publish on June 13, 2023.

Seven women gathered in a rundown hotel room staring in horror at the severed head of a man they all had reason to hate and want to see dead. They all swear they didn’t kill him. But someone did! It has to be one of them. Someone is lying! What a way to open a book! The premise of the book was very intriguing, but it didn’t really live up to its description. I found it to be too slow moving to really grab and hold my interest. Based on the many positive reviews there are many people who enjoyed it, but it just didn’t work for me.

This appealed to me based on the premise of seven women/one guy.

But I found it confusing to keep track of each woman. It really detracted from the story.

And I was hoping for MORE.

It’s not necessarily a bad book. It’s just harder to get into when it focuses on the sex lives versus more of what Jamie did.

The premise of this book definitely hooked me when I received the NetGalley widget from the publisher. I was excited to dive into this unique tale. But I’m sorry to say it’s just not working for me and I’m going to have to DNF. I think this book will find its readers as I’ve seen many positive reviews so far. Unfortunately, this one just isn’t for me. Thank you to the publisher for an ArC in exchange for my honest review.

Have to DNF this one. I tried reading and listening and just cannot get into this book. Maybe another time, but it was hard to relate, and all over the place. I got through 50 pages.

This was a well thought out cast of characters. Many woman scorned by 1 absolute shit of a human being. I am.not sure why it was set over 20 years ago...the timeline doesn't have much to do with the plot.
I will be on the lookout for more books by this author.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC.

Yep, not a fan at all. What did I just read?? I almost DNF'd this book so many times but made myself keep going to give it a chance. This book had so many characters and did not give a clear understanding as to who was who, where it took place or an understanding of the motive. I was so interested in the description of it but it fell completely flat to me. The last 40 pages were probably the best part of the book and gave me more of a picture of the whole book.
I know that no book is for every reader and this one does have some positive reviews, but it was not for me.

Thank you to Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Received an audiobook early copy also via NetGalley - will be listening and reviewing on that NetGalley form. Thank you!

A dead man's head and seven women's stories..making you wonder who killed him but you'll keep wondering. Slow paced that I didn't find myself find myself hurrying to pick up to read. Lackluster ending.

Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an early release of this book.

Full Instagram post will be linked closer to pub date

Wow! Speak of the Devil is a complex thriller surrounding the stories of 7 women who are all connected by one man who has impacted their lives negatively in different ways.

We get to see a lot of the different ways that he had impacted them specifically for each character and it was a wild ride. It was so intense seeing how diabolical this man was in each of their lives.

This one wasn’t super fast paced but how it slowly unfurled made it even creepier and definitely added to the story!!

As the blurb says; the book opens with seven women in a hotel room, gathering around a head on the table. Who is this guy, what is the connection with these women and where is the rest of his body?
Each following chapter gives the reader a peek into the life of one woman at a time, events from the 1980's and late 1990's. That's a lot of back and forth and it took me almost to the end of this book to connect story and woman. But it doesn't matter; the main theme unfolds showing what the guy did to each of them and how not being heard by the authorities lead to drastic measures.
Speak of the Devil is quite slow paced, but not too slow to loose attention. The surroundings are well described and ring true. Throughout the book there's no indication of who dunnit. Eventually one of the last chapters just tells the reader what happened, which I found a bit disappointing. No big 'wow' ending, just The End.

Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC.

Just a head, you say? If that doesn’t intrigue you, I don’t know what will.
Slow burn, but it picks up pace and we have a pretty good story.
Seven women, one severed head. Who is the killer?
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books for the copy of Speak Of The Devil by Rose Wilding. I really had trouble with this one. I loved the idea of there being a bunch of potential suspects but I feel like I never really got to know any of the characters because there were so many of them! The book felt like a bunch of short stories instead of a cohesive book.
Jamie was a terrible person and got what he deserved. I just wish the journey to find out who was responsible for dealing out justice had been easier. I think this book appeals to the kind of reader who can keep track of all of the characters and is willing to read a lot about a real bad man. It just wasn’t the book for me.

Seven women. Seven women had a reason to kill the man whose head was found in a hotel room, the decapitated body missing. Each of their stories is a reason for revenge for his continuous evil actions. I would say I was entertained for 2/3 of this book but the ending was lackluster for me.

* OUTLIER ALERT *

DNF at 32%-no rating!
Perhaps something was lost in translation? I believe this book was translated from German.

It’s New Year’s Eve-1999

Earlier in the evening, seven women received a message from an unknown number asking them to gather in the “usual place” at 7 PM for an emergency meeting.

They took their usual seats around a makeshift alter in the center of the room, where under a pillowcase was the severed head of a man they all knew.

Each of the women - the wife, the teenager, the ex, the journalist, the colleague, the friend, and the woman who raised him - has a very good reason to have killed Jamie Spellman, but each one denies doing it.

Who is guilty?

Although this wasn’t a book I was planning on requesting, I received an electronic copy with an invitation from the Publisher to read it, and the PREMISE definitely intrigued me!

And, the opening TWO chapters which set up this concept, DID draw me in…

BUT at 32% I still didn’t have a CLEAR understanding of WHO everyone is, and it was frustrating!

The narrative keeps alternating between the seven women, and in addition to their name being listed at the start of a chapter-it would have been VERY HELPFUL to list their connection to Jamie as well. Examples: Kaysha, the journalist, Ana, the colleague, etc.

NOT ONLY did I not understand WHO is WHO, or WHERE this story was taking place, but I also didn’t have an understanding of HOW each woman knew the victim or WHY each had a reason to kill him.

More time was spent on their sex lives, than their connection to Jamie Spellman.

No book is for every reader.

I vowed to DNF books that weren’t a fit for me, as a New Year’s resolution, and this will be one of them. I want to get lost in a story-and I shouldn’t have to take notes, or start a flow chart to try to make sense of things!! You shouldn’t have to PUSH THROUGH a book-you should be excited to pick it up!

There are plenty of positive reviews so it must become clear eventually-but I don’t have the patience to persevere! Be sure to read a few opinions before deciding if it might be a better fit for you.

Expected Publication Date: June 13, 2023

Thank You to Minotaur for the gifted copy.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press for this advanced reader copy. Oh what it is to be a woman scorned and get your revenge. If your that woman read this book and enjoy. Each character has a perspective and a story of how karma caught up with the individual missing his head! Hold on and try to figure out who did it and why.