Cover Image: Dark Corners

Dark Corners

I loved Night Swim and was thrilled to see a second book featuring Rachel Krall. For me, Dark Corners was even better than Night Swim. I thought the plot was great, especially with the main focus being social media influencers and a huge social media conference. It's such a popular industry currently and the idea that high-profile people were seemingly disappearing, and yet people weren't shocked by it, was fascinating.

I enjoyed getting to know Rachel's character more too. I won't share spoilers, but it had an ending that made me cheer for Rachel, and also for a third book featuring her.

This was such a fast-paced read with twists and turns with every chapter. I couldn't put it down.

Thank you, St. Martins Press and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review!

I really enjoyed The Night Swim, and I love how this one picks up right where her last book ended. An influencer goes missing and Rachel agrees to work with an FBI agent to help solve this case. This book was fast paced and really kept. you guessing. If you like books about podcasts and true crime I highly recommend picking this book up.

While I still liked this read, it was a bit disappointing for me when comparing it to the first in the series! I still loved Rachel’s character and the podcast theme, but I wasn't as captivated by the thriller plot itself as much in this one. I also hated the ending, but I'm still looking forward to more potentially in the series and would read anything that Megan Goldin writes! It still was 4 stars, don't get me wrong... The Night Swim just worked better for me in comparison.

This book had an interesting premise, but it didn't really capture my attention as much as I had hoped it to. I enjoyed certain elements of this book, including the fact that the suspect is in prison - adds a lot to the mystery aspect of the book - and that the victims are influencers. In my opinion, targeting influencers is an interesting approach to murder victims. This turned out to be OK for me. It didn't wow me, but I did have a good time reading it.

𝗠𝘆 𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴: 4 ⭐️
DARK CORNERS 🎧
🤍𝗚𝗲𝗻𝗿𝗲: thriller
📖 352 pages
𝗗𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗽𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗷𝗶𝘀: 😱🎙️🚔⛺️

💙𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲💙

Thank you @netgalley @stmartinspress for the #gifted copy!

From the gripping opening to the shocking conclusion, DARK CORNERS delivers an adrenaline-pumping thrill ride that keeps you hooked until the very last word.

As a sequel to THE NIGHT SWIM, it stands strong on its own, offering a rollercoaster of suspense, adventure, & unexpected twists. The immersive audio 🎧 experience elevates the storytelling with dynamic sound effects & music, immersing you fully in the world of the narrative. Just when you think you've figured it all out, the plot takes a sharp turn, leaving you on the edge of your seat. Alongside the heart-pounding suspense, there's a touch of romance that adds depth to the characters & their motivations.

Overall, this is a must-read (or listen) for fans of thrillers, delivering a thrilling & satisfying experience from start to finish.

In DARK CORNERS, Terence Bailey, a convicted criminal, becomes entangled in a web of suspicion when popular influencer Maddison Logan disappears after visiting him. With Maddison seemingly only existing in the realm of social media, investigative journalist Rachel Krall is called upon by the FBI to unravel the mystery. Going undercover at a major influencer conference, Rachel delves into a world of cutthroat competition & hidden agendas. When a woman bearing a tattoo matching Bailey's is found dead, the investigation takes a sinister turn, revealing Bailey's potential accomplice & his dangerous fixation on influencers, including Rachel herself. As Rachel confronts the lurking dangers of the digital world, the narrative grips with its chilling exploration of obsession & deception.

𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗶𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲:
◽️ twisty thrillers
◽️ who dun it
◽️ podcasts
◽️ influencers
◽️ a sprinkle 🤌🏼 of romance

The second Rachel Krall book. Rachel hosts a true crime podcast and when a prisoner in Florida requests her to visit him, she begins on a journey she wasn't looking for. I liked the mystery that Rachel unravels, but the social media influencer bits were a little annoying, though that might have been the point. Overall I enjoyed this book and recommend it to fans of the first book.

I really enjoyed this book! It had some twists and turns that I did not see coming! Books that make me want to stay up past midnight reading are the best and this one definitely fit in that category. Thank you so much for the opportunity to read this book! I will certainly recommend it to all of my reading friends!

This one is a super solid thriller. I was obsessed with being able to go back to listening even during work because I wanted to know what happened. It was fast paced and easy to follow. There are a lot of characters tied into the plot but I found it simple to keep them straight, even on audio which is where I usually struggle. I will say though (without going too much into detail to avoid spoilers) when you get to one twist you will probably say "well that was truly idiotic and maybe they deserved this" but also maybe I'm just judgey and no one will think that besides me. Overall, a quick twisty thriller that I would highly recommend!

Thank you for allowing me to read and review this story. This review can be found on my instagram @manymerrybooks

I was so excited for this one. I loved Night swim. Unfortunately this one was a DNF, I stopped at 40% and I can honestly tell you I have no idea what this book is even about. There’s no “podcasting”like Night Swim and Rachel is a completely different character in this book. She isn’t even likable it’s like she’s a different character from Night Swim. Such a disappointment. I recommend Night Swim to everyone I know.

Anything Megan Goldin writes, I'm going to love! This was no exception. Had me hooked from page one and I loved every minute.

Let's be real - I'll read anything with a true crime podcast host as the main character. I enjoyed Dark Corners even more than Night Swim. I supplemented this read with the audiobook version and that was super fun. Highly recommend the audio!

True crime podcaster working with federal agent to help solve the mystery of what happened to Maddison- a missing influencer. Plenty of twists but a little slow at times.

Thank you Netgalley for a copy in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

Thrillers are not my go-to genre, but this is my fourth Megan Goldin novel, and I have enjoyed every one. I especially like the Rachel Krall series. The Rachel Krall character has a way of bringing a human touch to stories that would feel pretty hopeless without her point of view. Rachel is a popular true-crime podcaster whom we first met in The Night Swim, which came out in 2020. In Dark Corners, Rachel is called to help out the FBI by meeting with an inmate they believe is somehow involved in the recent disappearance of a popular influencer. The book ends up being a deep dive into the underbelly of the influencer world. There’s also a lesson that sometimes there are other explanations for what may seem obvious at first glance. As one of the main characters says, “The scariest monster is the one that hides in plain sight.” This book had me hooked from the beginning to the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for sharing this advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review.

Really enjoyed this one. It didn’t top the Night Swim for me but I really liked it. I really enjoy the crime podcast angle especially on audio format.
It was interesting to dive into the social media convention and life of influencers. I also loved trying to track down the serial killer and just trying to piece everything together. I really like Rachel’s character and cannot wait to read the next book in this series!

Thank you so much to the publisher and the marketing team for an early copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review! I have loved working with these teams due to my love of Meg Goldin's "The Night Swim" (one of my favorite thrillers of all time, and the inspiration behind this sequel)

I absolutely loved The Night Swim when it was released, so I was obviously excited to read the sequel. This was a great follow up, and I think it highlighted Rachel’s character very well as a determined, independent woman doing whatever she can to solve this mystery. I only found the talk of influencers/social media to be a little much, particularly because that’s a trope that I don’t tend to like in general.

Thank you to NetGalley and St Martin’s Press for the ARC of Dark Corners by Megan Goldin.

I was very excited to see this 2nd book featuring main character Rachel Krall. So much so that I ended up purchasing the book before reading the ARC. And I was not disappointed. The FBI convinces Rachel to come to Florida and when she does, she finds herself feeling set up. However, Rachel does what she does and investigates the situation helping to solve the murders, disappearances, all while experiencing her own concerning events. This book was less about the podcast and more about Rachel as the character. Which I liked. If you were a huge fan of The Night Swim, this could be a disappointment if you were expecting a similar style book. But if you’re along for the ride, Megan Goldin’s book did not disappoint!! 5⭐️

Summary
Rachel Krall is back. With a hit true crime podcast, she returns home to take a break after the rape trial she'd been covering in North Carolina. Instead she ends up in Daytona Beach, FL after being contacted by the FBI. Upon arrival, she is informed that a suspected murderer/current prisoner about to be released, had a visitor and he wrote down Rachel's name and now his visitor is missing. Maddison is a social media influencer in town for a big Influencer conference. Why did she visit Terrence in prison? Does he have anything to do with her disappearance? And can the FBI and police prove that Terrence murdered those women before he went to prison before he's back on the streets in a few days?

Review
Another couldn't put down book by Megan Goldin. I loved this one more than The Night Swim. Once again, the story jumps between the present and Rachel's podcast transcript from after the case was solved. This time in the present we get a few different perspectives. I'm really hoping FBI Agent Joe will be around if they are future Rachel Krall books.
This one kept me guessing, a mystery layered and nuanced with all the pieces expertly braided together.

This was a satisfying quick read! Although it is the second in the Rachel Krall series, you don't need to read The Night Swim to read this one. This book contained a lot of twists, but I felt as though most were easy to predict. The writing has a bit too much filler and repetition. However the storyline was captivating enough to make me keep reading! If you are into thrillers and mysteries that dive into the life of Influencers on social media, this one is for you.

Thank you to NetGalley and St Martin’s Press for the ARC!

Podcaster Rachel Krall is back, this time trying to solve the disappearance of a popular social media influencer, who vanishes shortly after visiting a man in prison for the murders of six women. Rachel is roped into helping the FBI track down the final moments of the influencer and confront the dark corners of the internet and world of social media influencing before it is too late. While I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first in the series, "Night Swim," it is still a solid suspense thriller that you won't want to put down.

Dark Corners by Megan Goldin is the second book featuring true crime podcaster Rachel Krall. She was first featured in The Night Swim. This book can be read as a standalone though. While this story was interesting, it wasn't quite as good as The Night Swim. Dark Corners has some rather unbelievable storylines. Thanks to NetGalley for the free digital review copy. All opinions are my own.