Cover Image: Dark Corners

Dark Corners

This was a very suspenseful thriller full of dark secrets from the past. Rachel has a true crime podcast. She’s brought into a missing person case. The missing is a social media influencer who was seen visiting a prison inmate shortly before she went missing. There’s way more to the story though. The case takes on an urgent tone as it starts to look dangerous for Rachel herself.

I really enjoyed The Night Swim especially Rachel as a character, so I was very happy to See Rachel again in Dark Corners. Rachel is a smart character and the mystery had me hooked. Her relationship with the FBI agent I really enjoyed as well, and I wouldn't mind seeing the pair again in another book. I enjoyed all of Rachel's sleuthing and there were plenty of bodies dropping in the story as well as some action. This was one of my favorite reads of the year.

Dark Corners
by Megan Goldin
4 stars

So, this is only the second book I've read by Megan Goldin. Her way of describing isn't it for me, but this book was surprising. I didn't know it was part of a series, you don't have to read the first one to understand what happens. It can be read as a stand-alone.
The whole influencer thing was interesting, but it made me hate the whole lot of the influencers at Buzzcon. Rachel is different and is a full-blown reporter who solves cases for the police or fixes what they had wrong. I just finished it and I'm like iffy on it. I couldn't put it down and I wanted to know what happened next, but it didn't give me that oh I love it and would love to read it again. If you like whodunit books, it's a good read.

Megan Goldin has become one of my favorite thriller authors. I was hooked on Dark Corners from the jump. The influencer component was a fun touch to this creepy and dark story. The final act built so much tension I found myself actually stressed reading it at night.

I found the romance to be unnecessary personally but otherwise loved it and will absolutely be recommending to my friends and followers.

I have to be honest: this wasn’t my favorite thriller in the world. But I did enjoy a lot of it! The pace moves quickly, the twists are fun (if not entirely unexpected), and a certain character is especially creepy. Yeeeesh. Just thinking about him makes my skin crawl. Not to mention, my paranoia about using Uber and Lyft has returned with a vengeance. Thank you, Dark Corners!!!!!!

This pains me to say, as I really enjoyed The Night Swim, but this didn't completely work for me. I kept picking it up reading a chapter and then putting it down. I was just bored. I couldn't get invested enough to keep going. I ultimately did not finish this one. However, I have enjoyed a few of the author's books and do plan to pick up more of hers even if this one was a miss for me.

This is the 2nd in the Rachel Krall series. The series follows Rachel through her podcast as she does armchair detective work on true crime cases. The first novel in this series was gripping. This novel was ehhh. It wasn’t bad, it wasn’t great. I definitely preferred book 1, The Night Swim.

The killer is identified immediately in the novel, which I don’t mind. Lots of books do this, but I found as the story unraveled, there was nothing gripping or too exciting that happens. I wish we hadn’t known the killer and I think this would have livened up the novel for me. The ending was gripping and so fast paced, I felt it was done when it started. Overall, I liked it, I liked the writing. I just wanted more suspense.

I highly recommend this sequel to The Night Swim. This book keeps you guessing until the end and keeps your interest. If you like psychological thrillers with a little bit of romance this is the book for you. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an e copy of this book.

Excellent story from Megan Goldin as always. Always unique, always intriguing, and I can never guess the ending!

Dark Corners: A Novel by Megan Goldin was an enjoyable follow-up book, although it didn't quite match the exceptional quality of The Night Swim. It should be noted that The Night Swim set a very high standard. In terms of the main character, Rachel Krall, she was not as endearing and appeared excessively self-assured in herself and her skills. Frequently, she finds herself in precarious circumstances and expresses astonishment when things do not go as planned. However, despite these shortcomings, the story still had its moments of intrigue and kept me engaged.

While reading Dark Corners, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disconnection from both the story and the characters, which is quite different from my experience with the author's previous books. It was disappointing to find that none of the characters, including the main character, were likable in any way. Furthermore, the topic of influencers as a whole tends to lack the ability to evoke sympathy or admiration, even among other influencers themselves. This made me question the direction of the story, as it seemed to place too much emphasis on the influencer angle, which I found bothersome.

The ending itself was quite satisfying in the sense that everything was thoroughly explained and wrapped up neatly. However, it can be said that there were no truly groundbreaking or astonishing moments, despite the detailed explanations provided. It is worth noting that throughout the reading experience, I did not come across any significant "ah-ha" moments that would have left a lasting impression on me.

Thank you to author, publisher, and NetGalley for giving me this arc in exchange for my honest review.

I highly recommend this book as it was gripping from the start. The story and characters had me from the start and couldn’t put this book down!

Back at it with “Dark Corners”, Megan Goldin has another home run. So fresh and so good. Some twists I saw coming but others I did not. Overall, a fantastic read. Would highly recommend to others. Also if you like this- go read her “The Night Swim”.

Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

**3.5 stars**

Dark Corners is the 4th book by Megan Goldin and the 4th book of hers I have read. I liked this one much more then Stay Awake but not as much as her first 2 books. This is the second book involving the podcaster Rachel Krall. Dark Corners is an interesting story and I like Rachel as a character but this one lacks the empathy of the story in Night Swim. I liked the story and characters in this one but it wasn’t as heart wrenching as the first book in the series.

The one thing I found annoying (and it annoys me in any book that does it) is that once a charachter has been introduced in the story we no longer need their full name over and over again like the author did every time Joe Martinez appears in this story.

I recommend this for fans of her other books and most mystery readers will enjoy it.

I also listened to the audiobook and both narrators were excellent.

**Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the e-arc I received in exchange for my honest review.**

It’s been a while since I read book one. So in a way this was like reading it as a stand alone. There are a few things I remember but not much.
I don’t think I disliked Rachael as much as I did this time around. I found her rude and snobbish many times

I don’t know, this one missed the mark for me

This is my first by this author, but it will NOT be my last!
Like Rachel, I was drawn into the search for Madison and all that goes along with it! While I felt there was more romance than mystery at times, it did not detract from my enjoyment. I think the best part however, was Goldin’s writing. She kept me engaged, even when I wasn’t as invested with some parts. However - I loved the way it all can together for me in the end. Makes me consider going back and reading parts over again.

I loved Night Swim and was so excited there was a second book. Although not as great as the first, Dark Corners was just as interesting and engaging

I have voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this title given to me via NetGalley. This book was just amazing. I just lost myself in this story and didn’t want it to end. It was really well written and just drew in you into these characters lives. I look forward to seeing what’s next from this author.

I loved the first book in this series so was excited to see what the sequel would bring. This had all the components of a great thriller- tandem storylines. interesting characters, good premise to get you hooked. I felt like th pacing was a little off because the first half felt so slow and the second half felt rushed in places. It is well written and the characters are good so I would still recommend it if you like thrillers.

Such a great follow up to Night Swim! There was even more tension and adventure and I loved the romantic undercurrent in this one. It really added a little something extra. This absolutely can be read as a stand alone but they are so great that you should just read both books in order.

Unfortunately I didn’t like this follow up as much as the first. The style of writing was different which I felt worked against the story. Also, Rachel was very unlikeable in this book which made it difficult to get through. Overall, I don’t think this book was needed and maybe should have ended with night swim.