Cover Image: Mula and the Snooty Monkey

Mula and the Snooty Monkey

A beautifully illustrated and interactive book! I loved the way that yoga was incorporated into the story, and how Mula taught the Snooty Monkey how to move in its own way. Now that I know that this is a series, I will look out for the rest of the Mula books!
One of my favorite things to read is the new picture books that are released, this stemmed from working for almost 15 years as a children and teens librarian where reading these books was my job and an everyday occurrence for me. I love finding new ones and who knows I might down the track and hopefully return to a library job as my dream job is to still become a manager of a school library. Mula and the Snooty Monkey by Lauren Hoffmeier is a cute story about a tiger Mula who is doing his morning routine of Yoga when he hears Svadli a cheeky monkey laughing at him and being mean. Mula breathes in and tries to get Svadli to join in with Yoga. After a while, the Snooty Monkey joins in, and guess what, he loves it and finds it peaceful and a great mindfulness tool. Mula and the Snooty Monkey is a great read and a great tool to teach young children Yoga moods and excellent skills to help them relax, breathe and reflect, especially in today's world with everything happening - this is such an important skill to learn from a young age.  The back of this book also includes a few simple Yoga moves and steps to help you teach your child. Mula and the Snooty Monkey written by Lauren Hoffmeier and illustrated by Ela Smietanka is the perfect read for children aged 3-6 years old.
Just when you think there are too many kids books with animals, you pick one up that proves you wrong. This is that book.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read this ARC. All opinions are my own.

I found this book fun and educational. The interactive portion in the end where they explain how to do various yoga pose is a nice touch. I did feel bad for the fly, so wise and helpful, yet he has no name.
When Svadi makes fun of Mula for doing yoga, he soon realizes that appearing perfect all the time isn't everything it's cracked up to be.  This is a cute little picture book that discusses the importance of differences and acceptance. The yoga pose demonstrations in the back of the book are a nice touch.
This book feels a little bit like a yoga studio advert! A cute one though. But still it feels advert-y in a way. Then again, yoga is a nice thing to do, so no real harm there.
Advert-y parts aside, the story is lovely – it is about being your true self, about doing what makes you happy and about not giving a – whatever – about what others think and about what others might think it looks like, about not being too preoccupied with fitting in everywhere, and all that happens thanks to yoga.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was super cute. A good message about trying something new and also gives some yoga poses to try. The pictures were colorful and fun. I think children of various ages will enjoy it.
Mula enjoys doing yoga and after being laughed and teased by monkeys she helps the snootiest monkey start doing things that he enjoyed dancing and singing and he learns to not tease Mula for being silly doing something she enjoys.
I'm not gonna lie, I picked up this book solely because it was about a "snooty monkey." What lovely, hilarious imagery! I was not disappointed! Mula and the Snooty Monkey is about how you should do what you like even if it makes you look silly! It teaches a great lesson about being yourself AND teaches little ones how to start practicing yoga! Every page is a pop of delightful color and prose and I truly enjoyed it!
Mula is a wonderful yoga teacher to introduce to kids! Mula the tiger is practicing yoga under a tree when some monkeys come and start laughing at him. Instead of getting upset, he invites them to join in. Although the leader of the monkeys is snotty at first, he soon finds that yoga is fun, even if it makes you look a little silly sometimes.

This is a great introduction to yoga and even has some poses and tips in the back to get started with!
Mula and the Snooty Monkey by Lauren Hoffmeier - 4/5

Mula is an extremely tired tiger who is in need of some help from friends around to get his mind to wake up and his body moving.

This is a cute story that reminds me that no matter how crazy things can get in my house with three children, it is always a healthy idea physically and mentally to have them up and moving about.  The illustrations are bright and eye catching.  The characters are cute and add so much fun to the story.

Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for the ARC.
its really a fun yoga story. it's about Mula the tiger who's minding his own business to do yoga but mocked by the monkeys. there's also yoga pose references that can be tried at home!
The storyline is simple but cute. I think this is a nice way for kids to start learning a little bit about yoga and maybe also what it feels like to get out of your comfort zone. They learn that it's okay to try something new and to gain confidence while you learn.
I loved the drawings, they are very beautiful and colorful. And I think it's really nice that there are simple yoga instructions at the end of the book to try.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me access to this title ahead of publication.
The colourful illustrations made this an extra wonderful read and will sure grab the attention of the young primary students. Perfect for talking about mindfulness and yoga and introducing them both to the young students especially since a few of them are already into yoga. The poses at the end of the story are a very nice addition!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the eARC! Besides from teaching kids about Yoga, this book has a good message behind it.- do what you want to do because you like it.  I like the colorful pictures throughout the story which makes the book very appealing for young readers. I like the glossary of Yoga poses at the end- a great follow up activity to have kiddos to the same moves as the animals in the book.
Having a 5 & 7 year old that love doing yoga, I got so excited to see this book and read it with them. We all enjoyed the beautiful illustrations, and they thought they story was fun. They loved the additional of yoga stances at the end, as a parent I loved the message in this book, not only does it encourage a fun physical activity, but Mula (and eventually Svaldi) having the attitude of not caring what others thought of them while they had fun was amazing,  That is such an important lesson to teach to young children, If you’re doing something you enjoy don’t let other people judge you for it, be you, do your own thing! I absolutely recommend this to anyone reading to children!
This book was an absolute delight to read. From the beautiful, bright illustrations to the fun, capturing writing. From start to finish my daughter was in love with the story of Mula and Svadi and said her favourite part was when he began dancing and being nice. She especially loved joining in with the yoga breathing and poses throughout the story as well as the poses at the end. It is such a lovely story with hidden meanings of remembering to be kind and not laughing at others doing things that they do not find funny. We will definitely be adding this to our collection of books as well as the other books within the collection.

P.s The illustration of the Pangolins' also made my daughters day as she is obsessed with them and seeing her favourite character within a book just made this book 100 times better.
I love this book. The way the story is communicated is fun and silly while illustrating the key idea: making yoga poses accessible and interesting for kiddos who might be averse to it whether because of the structure of the practice or the way it makes one look while they practice. The illustrations are perfect. The only issue I found with it is that the book file was not formatted correctly, and I had to turn my Kindle on its side to read it. The pages were incorrectly cropped and some of the words were missing.
This was such a sweet book! It was colorful with beautiful illustrations. I loved the message of not being afraid to try new things like yoga. It was also a great introduction to yoga for kids and I loved how they described the poses kids could try in a fun way at the end. I would love to have this book in my children’s personal library. I received a free copy of this book from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
From Miss Seven: "I loved the vibrant, colourful illustrations. It was cool it was set in the jungle with interesting animals. Svadi was bad thinking he was perfect, and you don't need to be perfect to have fun. You can just try your best. The story had a good message, that's what I liked about."

From me: vibrantly illustrated with a very good message, this is a good read for kids and their parents. Cool setting, drawings that make the story 'pop' off the page and bring it to greater life.