‘Where Did Momo’s Hair Go?’ by Stephanie Boyer is a whimsical children’s book that attempts to deliver a humorous tale about a clown who loses his hair, which then bounces around and interacts with various dogs. Despite its potential for lighthearted fun, the book falls short in several key areas, making it a less-than-stellar read.

Plot: ★☆☆☆☆
The plot centres around Momo, a clown who loses his hair, which then takes on a life of its own, bouncing around and finding itself with different dogs. While this concept might sound amusing, the execution is rather underwhelming. The storyline feels disjointed and lacks depth, failing to engage the reader in any meaningful way. The simplicity of the plot might appeal to very young children, but even for them, it will likely come across as flat and uninspired.

Character: ★☆☆☆☆
Momo, the main character, is a clown who is hard to connect with. His character lacks the charm and relatability needed to endear him to the audience. The story does little to develop his personality or make him interesting, which is a significant drawback. Without a compelling main character, it is difficult for readers to invest in the story or care about Momo's predicament.

Illustrations: ★★☆☆☆
The illustrations are the most redeeming quality of the book, but even they are not enough to save it. While the artwork is colourful and somewhat playful, it lacks the finesse and creativity that could have made the book more visually appealing. The illustrations do an adequate job of supporting the text, but they do not elevate the overall reading experience as much as one would hope.

Engagement: ★☆☆☆☆
Engagement is severely lacking in this book. The story does not hold attention well, and the humour falls flat. The plot’s repetitive nature and the uninteresting character make it a struggle to keep young readers engaged. There are no captivating twists or memorable moments that would make children eager to turn the pages.

Readability: ★★★☆☆
The readability of the book is average. The text is simple and straightforward, which is suitable for young readers. However, the lack of engaging content makes it a chore to read through. While the language is accessible, it does not inspire much enthusiasm or interest.

Enjoyment: ★☆☆☆☆
Enjoyment is seriously lacking in ‘Where Did Momo’s Hair Go?’. The story’s weak plot, uninteresting characters, and mediocre illustrations result in a book that is unlikely to be enjoyed by most readers. The humorous premise does not translate well into an enjoyable reading experience, making it a disappointing choice for a children's book.

‘Where Did Momo’s Hair Go?’ by Stephanie Boyer is a book that misses the mark on multiple fronts. With a lacklustre plot, an unengaging main character, and only moderately appealing illustrations, it fails to capture the interest and imagination of young readers. While it might hold some appeal for very young children due to its simple language and colourful pictures, it does not offer enough substance or entertainment to make it a worthwhile addition to a child's library.

Very colorful storybook. This tells the story of Momo and how he lost his hair. I like that it goes on all types of dogs and teaches different breeds. This is a very easy read.

This book was a joy for my daughter and her parents to share. If a child returns to a book, it is often a good sign that the author and illustrator have captured their imagination. The colourful pages and beautifully crafted story has been a favourite at bedtime.

Thank you Chouette Publishing and NetGalley for providing me access to this ebook.

I think the illustrations are good and I appreciate how this book introduces various dog breeds to children, but the actual story fell flat, I thought I may be unfairly judging this book, so I decided to read it again but to my two children. Both of them were bored and said they didn’t carry for the story. My youngest (girl, 5 years old) loved the illustrations, but had nothing else positive or helpful to say. My other child (girl, 7) said she liked the pictures and dogs, but wanted more adventure in story,

Overall, not a story I’d recommend. The illustrations raised my rating from one star to two stars.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are my own opinions.

What a fun story! I enjoyed looking at the image to find Momo's hair and see if it's another dog who has it.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with this book for free in exchange for my review! All opinions are my own.

I will start off by saying that I am not a huge fan of clowns, but I also don't necessarily fear them or hate them. However, I thought this book was very charming. In a way, this book gave me Eric Carle vibes or maybe even Madeline vibes. I thought it was a very clever and charming story. I also loved the colorful illustrations. This book will be fun for children and may help them see that clowns aren't always scary!

Connect with Me <3

My blog is https://bookreviewsbyjules.blogspot.com/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/44083250-julia (follow me and/or send a friend request!) - This is how I keep track of all of the books I read each year. I also crosspost all of my NetGalley reviews here.

Instagram/bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/bookreviewsbyjules/ (I try my best to follow back all Book accounts back in 48-72 hours)

2nd Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bookreviewsbyjules_/ (This account is used as a backup Instagram because my original bookstagram account which I created in 2022 has been getting action blocked quite frequently (I was hacked in February 2024 and lost access to my account for about 5 days, and I think that has something do with why I have been having issues with my account. I have reported the issue to Instagram several times). I try to post on Instagram at least 3x a week. I post many NetGalley ARC books on Instagram, but I also enjoy talking about previously released books that I love. With the exception of NetGalley books, I enjoy both listening to and reading all the books I read.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61556223311374

Substack: https://bookreviewsbyjules.substack.com/ (feel free to subscribe!)

Tik Tok: https://www.tiktok.com/@bookreviewsbyjules?lang=en

StoryGraph: https://app.thestorygraph.com/profile/bookreviewsbyjules

Follow the journey of Momo’s hair after it flies off his head and finds itself in some peculiar and interesting places.

This was a fun read that didn’t take itself too seriously. Sometimes it’s nice to have a book with no underlying lesson and just a bit of fun. The illustrations were colourful and eye catching and are a big draw to little children.

Myself and my little girl look forward to seeing where Momo’s hair goes next.

Read it... It s a cozy reading... Read with your children absolutely. It make me laugh and just a little bit cry... But you must to read

This is a very weird funny book. I would absolutely love the chance to read this with a whole group of kids because it would be so easy to get them to interact with this story. The pictures are kind of simple and bright and you keep seeing the wig go from one person to another to a dog, etc and I am an adult who was giggling while I found the hair in the picture.
Thanks to NetGalley for letting me read this

My 3 year old and I loved this one! He loved trying to follow the hair on each page and tried to see where it was going next. I loved the illustrations they are bright and catch the eye. I would read to my classroom!

A cute fun read about a friendly dog who helps a clown and has adventures all around town.

My little one enjoyed the stories and the illustrations

A cute little book for dog lovers as they help Momo the Clown chase his wig all over town and try to spy it in the different fun scenes. The drawings are old fashioned and I would hsve liked more colour but that's a personal gripe. With so much going on, more colour might have proved too distracting.for younger readers. The formulaic prose makes it easy for children to join in. A very good read!

An inoffensive but daft bit of silliness, as a chap loses his humongous bouffant wig to the wind when he runs for the bus, only for it to land on a dog's head. It then gets to travel from hound to pooch to this to that, all the while the dog breed tries (not very hard) to rhyme with its owner, and we get a bit of a wacky piece of stuff and nonsense. The artwork certainly evokes the primary school, the rhymes (even in translation) really should have worked more, and the whole just didn't seem to impress – it's OK at best.

Where Did Momo's Hair Go? by Stéphanie Boyer, Caroline Hamel
the Illustrator and Carine Laforest the Translator, was a fun book to read with my nephew. The pages where brightly coloured throughout which will attract small children.

The best sound in the world; is to hear my nephew laugh out loud and this book did just that Plus, he wouldn't stop talking about Momo the clown especially when his hair flies of his head as he runs to catch the bus..........Where did Momo's hair go?

This book was wonderful from start to finish. We both loved it.

An adorable fun chase after a clown's wig from dog to dog. Very fun and the illustrations are vibrant and exciting. I only wish there had been some diversity in where the hair was going, not sure why it was from dog to dog. Overall enjoyed this one and my 4 year old son loved it.

I had so much fun reading this book, the story is so adorable and the illustrations were so well done and charming, there’s so many little details in every page that I couldn’t stop but be mesmerized by it all. I will definitely be recommending it! Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this early copy

Where Did Momo's Hair Go? was a nice story about a clown who lost his hair in a rush. My 5 year old son loved the colors and liked pointing out the different items on the pages that he understood. My 11 year old daughter brought up good questions about the different types of dogs and activities in the book.

Thank you for allowing my family to read this book in advance, in exchange for our honest review.

This was so adorable! Momo is a clown who lost his wig and now he has to find it, this mishap takes him to a journey across the town, meeting new people and having adventures!
I loved the illustrations, they were so well done and fitted the book perfectly, the kids are going to be enthralled by all the different elements, especially trying to find Momo’s hair on every page.
I will definitely be recommending it!

Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this early copy

Where Did Momo's Hair Go?, written by Stéphanie Boyer and illustrated by Caroline Hamel, is a delightful children's book that takes readers on a laugh-out-loud journey of a little clown's wig. The story follows Momo the Clown as he runs to catch a bus, only to have his hair fly off his head. The book takes young readers on an exciting adventure to find Momo's hair through a busy town, encountering a host of amusing characters and their even more colorful dogs in silly situations that will keep children giggling until the last page.

The illustrations in the book are whimsical and colorful, with each page depicting a different scene in the town. The characters and their dogs are hilarious and add to the humor of the story. The text is simple and easy to read, making it a great choice for young readers who are just starting to read independently.

What sets Where Did Momo's Hair Go? apart from other children's books is its ability to make children laugh. The story is silly and fun, and the characters are so outrageous that children will be laughing out loud as they read. The book also has a positive message about the importance of staying true to oneself, even when things don't go as planned.

Overall, Where Did Momo's Hair Go? is a fantastic children's book that will have young readers laughing and engaged from start to finish. The illustrations are delightful, the characters are hilarious, and the story is both fun and meaningful. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great children's story that will entertain and inspire.