Cover Image: Ghosted

Ghosted

In solidarity with the SMP Boycott I will be withholding my review for this title (which I was given prior to the boycott) until SMP acts on the following:

1. Address and denounce the Islamophobic and racist remarks from their employee.
2. Offer tangible steps for how they are going to mitigate the harm this employee caused.
3. Address how, moving forward, they will support and protect their Muslim, Arab, and Palestinian influencers, authors and readers, in addition to supporting their BIPOC influencers, authors, and readers.

This is not a reflection of the author personally, nor is it a call to boycott buying this particular book. And this star rating is a reflection of how much I enjoyed the book.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for granting me free access to the advanced digital copy of this book, as this book has already been published, I will not share my review on Netgalley at this time.

โ€œ๐๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ญ๐จ๐ฅ๐ ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐จ๐ง๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ง๐ž๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ ๐ฉ๐ž๐จ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ฏ๐ž ๐ข๐ง ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฆ๐š๐ค๐ž ๐ข๐ญ ๐ญ๐ซ๐ฎ๐ž. ๐€๐ง๐, ๐Š๐ข๐ญ, ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐›๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ฏ๐ž ๐ข๐ง ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  ๐š๐ฌ ๐ก๐š๐ซ๐ ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐๐จ, ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ข๐ง๐Ÿ๐ž๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ.โ€

Title: Ghosted
Author: Amanda Quain
Rating: ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐Ÿ’ซ

I havenโ€™t read a YA book in what feels like years, and Iโ€™m so sad I didnโ€™t get to this one sooner! Ghosted takes us through Hattie Tilneyโ€™s senior year while she copes with the loss of her Dad, tries to be the responsible child among three broken siblings, and deals with a seemingly neglectful mother who also happens to be the headmistress of her high school. Did I mention the high school is haunted?

While Hattieโ€˜s sole focus is to blend in and stick to the path she has carved for herself, sheโ€™s appointed an ambassador to the newest addition to the school, Kit Morland - a ghost-loving, free-spirited junior who sees Hattie for who she is behind her perfect facade.

The result is a sweet, chaotic, heartwarming, and (at times) slightly frustrating coming of age story, and I loved every minute of it! I loved @quainiacโ€™s writing style and storytelling, and it makes so much sense why that is also Hattieโ€™s passion. I was hoping the title meant there would be more paranormal activity, but this wasnโ€™t quite the case (fair warning).

NetGalley approved me for this ARC last year and Iโ€™m so happy I finally read it. Iโ€™ll be eagerly waiting for the next instalment in the Northanger Abbey series!

I have been provided with a review copy of Ghosted from NetGalley for an impartial review. I was just drawn into this wonderful story and I just couldnโ€™t get enough of it. It was just so easy to get lost in this great story. I just didnโ€™t want it to end. I just lost myself in and I just couldnโ€™t get enough of these interesting characters. I canโ€™t wait to see whatโ€™s next from this author.

Due to St. Martins Press refusal to address the remarks made by their employee regarding Palestine, I will not be reviewing this book.

This in no way has anything to do with the author. But I refuse to support anything from SMP because of their refusal to address a major issue at hand.

This was a really cute story. I enjoyed the writing and the dynamic between the main characters. I'm also a huge lover of ghost stories. So much fun!

This was not at all what I had expected, but it was a very good surprise. I had expected a romcom based purely off of the cover, but what I got was an emotional journey through grief that was so real and so raw. I laughed, I cried, and I fell in love with these characters. It was my first Amanda Quain book, and Iโ€™m on a mission to read everything I can find by this author!

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Wednesday Books for this eARC. All opinions are my own.

This was cute! The setting was fantasticโ€” gothic and academic. I loved the romance, but I didnโ€™t think that the friendships or family relationships were very realistic. I think this is the hardest Austen book to adapt, so Iโ€™m excited to read the other adaptations.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Ghosted was a fun but emotional story that gripped me from the start. The ghost hunting element gave it a lighter tone when needed, but this balanced the heavier emotions our protagonist Hattie was facing in her senior year of school. With a parent who is more the headmaster of the school than an actual parent and with the death of her dad, Hattie had a lot going on for her that didn't include mentoring an enthusiastic ghost hunter. Her relationship with Kit, the ensuing growth she undergoes with her mom, and the grief she hadn't properly dealt with over her father's passing definitely was a rollercoaster ride.

Something this book taught me was this: sometimes the strongest protagonist isn't the one who can fight monsters or never falters. It's the one who can acknowledge where they're broken so they are able to start on the path of healing their own brokenness. I loved that Hattie embodied this and Kit helped her realize it. Sometimes the pacing was a little slow, or the heaviness made it hard to get through a lot at once, but I'm glad how Hattie's story turned out.

I love a fresh take on classics and Quain really did that here. I had such a good time with this book! I loved Hattie and Kit. This was also a masterful YA book and I think writing is perfect for this age group, while still being so accessible to people outside of the target audience. Definitely recommend this one.

This is a cute YA romance that is a gender-bent retelling of Jane Austenโ€™s Northanger Abbey. As is common in the YA/ high school book era communication was not the greatest. But this did show an excellent view into grief. I wasnโ€™t expecting that, but I appreciated it. With concepts like balancing who you want to be with what your parents want, and tricky high school friendships, this is definitely one that is solidly in the YA genre. I donโ€™t mind reading about those, so I still enjoyed it. But if you expect anything other than a slow burn up to kissing you will be solely disappointed. But that is how I happen to like my YA romances.

Hattie is going to school at the most haunted high school in the country. It is also where a movie was filmed, and fans constantly try to check it out. Which wouldnโ€™t be an issue if her dad were still here. He was the biggest ghost hunter and loved digging in to find the real stories. But heโ€™s not. And her
Mom has thrown herself in the job as headmistress at the school. With the pressure of perfection, she ignores anything to do with ghosts and focuses on school. Until Kit shows up, and she is assigned to do a huge project with him. On ghosts. Working together might bring up more ghosts than the famous ghost stories that are told around campus.

This was an interesting one for me. I thought I was going to get something more upbeat and this turned out to be an extremely heavy (but beautiful) story about grief and coming of age. It was easy for me to empathize with our main character, Hattie. There were some bright spots but I think this was more of a "great book at not the best time" for me.

I dont really read romance a lot, but i enjoyed this book so much!!!! I LOVE Northanger Abbey and this retelling does it so much justice, it is so fun and easy to read, really really enjoyable!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! No spoilers. Beyond amazing I enjoyed this book so very much. The characters and storyline were fantastic. The ending I did not see coming Could not put down nor did I want to. Truly Amazing and appreciated the whole story. This is going to be a must read for many many readers. Maybe even a book club pick.

I thought this was going to be a ghost story, but instead it's even more interesting! Our heroine hasn't shown her true self since losing her father. She puts on the face of a super daughter, super student, and super friend. The only person who sees her is her little brother. That is until our hero steps into the picture.
Our hero is a ghost enthusiast. He is thrilled to attend a 'haunted high school.' Will he see a ghost? Or will he help our heroine confront her own ghosts?
Excellent Book!

The premise of this book is exactly up my alley. Northanger Abbey retelling? Eerie setting at a "haunted" private school? Ghost-hunting MMC and skeptical FMC? A recipe for success, I'd say. However, the promised vibes were not delivered.

The FMC has no friends and 2/3 of her family members are absent and suck. She has a little brother. That's it. But of course the author tried to do a redemption at the end when none of the side characters earned it. I hate it when characters don't have a support system and it doesn't make any sense why they don't.

The book didn't deliver on the ghosts. I thought there would be some. Nope.

The romance was cute and the setting was really cool. It could be great, but got lost in family relationships and friendships that were ignored for most of the book. I would be interested in reading more from this author in the future.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an e-arc in exchange for my honest review.

This book is so YA in the best way, in that the characters really do feel like teenagers! The MC is dealing with the grief of losing her father three years after his death, and when a ghost hunting new kid interrupts her senior year, she finally starts to open up and confront the things sheโ€™s been avoiding. I really enjoyed the book and look forward to more of these books from Amanda Quain!

Iโ€™ve only read Northanger Abbey once, and Iโ€™ve barely discussed it with anyone, so Iโ€™m not even 100% sure itโ€™s pronounced โ€œnorth-hangerโ€! I liked this book anyway.

It is definitely a loose retelling; thereโ€™s only so much that can substitute for a mansion, in-universe Gothic novels, and a bunch of marriages and engagements. Hattie was mostly likeable and believable. Kit seemed rather more larger-than-life, but I suppose that fits the dynamics of the original novel. I donโ€™t read modern romance novels, so I found myself a little bored when the romance came into the forefront, but it was solid until then, and it ended thoughtfully.

I donโ€™t know any Northanger Abbey lovers to recommend this to (or not), but if you like Jane and you like YA, you might like this book.

Iโ€™ve never read anything by this author, but the plot of this sounded very intriguing so I thought Iโ€™d give this a go. Also, Iโ€™m writing this review a month or so after I initially read it, so my memories on this book are a little hazy.

All I remember was that, I enjoyed the school setting, and I thought the main character (whose name I also donโ€™t remember) was a tad annoying.

Overall, this was a fun time when I read it, but I never felt strongly connected to the story or the characters to even remember it in a year from now.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved this retelling of Northanger Abbey! Kit and Hattie were so well-rounded that it didn't take long to fall in love with them both. The romance is so sweet and earnest, but I really liked that Hattie's journey through her trauma takes center stage, and that the reader gets to experience that with her. Side characters all read well, and the plot feels whole. Looking forward to more!