Cover Image: What the Neighbors Saw

What the Neighbors Saw

What The Neighbors Saw is a book rife with domestic tension & suspense.
I found it hard to relate to the main character Alexis but found a small common ground as a relatively new homeowner & the pressures it puts on people. Both Alexis & Sam feel like immature individuals thrown into a marriage, although Sam takes the cake of being unperceptive & not an equal partner in his own marriage. Both were constantly shooting above their station financially & I'm not sure how they make it work. I found Blair & Teddy's storyline to be more engaging than Alexis & Sam. Together with the other couples on the block, their quirks, fancy parties & secrets this book makes for an interesting read even if it was so hard to relate to Alexis. The plot is a slow reveal like peeling back the layers of an onion as we see more of Alexis & Blair's backstory. There were times when what was happening was very obvious but the "how" took me by surprise. I hoped there was more intrigue allotted to Alexis but the end was non-surprising which left me feeling a little bit disappointed.
This book is the quick & dirty version of affluent domesticity with a dash of suspense. It has juicy, salacious secrets that shocked me completely.
Thank you NetGalley, St. Martin's Press & Melissa Adelman for the arc!

The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, the smell of freshly cut grass permeated the air. The picture perfect neighborhood. A place everyone envied and wished they lived. The epitome of the American dream. But this neighborhood was not as perfect as it seemed… darkness shrouded it.

What the Neighbors Saw is a thriller following Alexis, a young mom moving into a new neighborhood, and Blair, someone who has lived in the neighborhood for years. When Blair’s husband is murdered, this picture-perfect neighborhood is shattered.

This was like reading a Desperate Housewives episode, neighborhood drama, secrets, rich people doing rich people things. It was a train-wreck of people all living in a neighborhood that was far from perfect. While I do love drama, especially rich people drama, this book bored me and got bogged down a lot. A lot of descriptions I didn’t need and then the ending took a bizarre turn I wasn’t the biggest fan of. It was entertaining in some parts… just not a favorite.

If you love Desperate Housewives and rich people drama, then this thriller may be one you would enjoy!

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. A neighborhood, whodunit thriller that will keep you interested until the last turn of the page. We think neighborhoods are safe, that when life is going good we're untouchable - think again.

This is a pretty fast paced story even though the setup was way too long. The reveal of who killed Teddy was juicy, but not really a big shock. I did enjoy this debut novel and look forward to more from this author. I listened to it partially as an audiobook and the dual narrators for Alexis and Blair weren't necessarily needed, but they kept my interest in each character.

What the Neighbors Saw, first of all, needs the following trigger warning: The MC struggles with an undiagnosed and untreated eating disorder. It's mentioned a few times throughout the book, but is mentioned in such a way that it feels "normal." It is not normal, so please read with care if you've ever struggled with an ED.

Other than the above trigger warning, I thoroughly enjoyed What the Neighbors Saw. The book is told through a couple different Points of View, so the story carries through easily and smoothly. I didn't find the story predictable, even though I thought a few times that I had it on lock and had it figured out. I found myself surprised several times, and that made it even more fun.

I definitely recommend What the Neighbors Saw, so I hope you check it out!

Good plots and some unseen twists. Took a while to get going but I enjoyed the ending. I appreciate getting an advanced copy to read of the novel.

okay give me a suburb thriller mystery and I will binge this in one sitting! the suspense and mystery and billed up of this story was everything I wanted in a book. Alexis is a new mom who is struggling and trying to figure it all out. the question is though would you do what she did to figure it out?

WHAT THE NEIGHBORS SAW had promise, but for me, it just didn't resonate. I wanted something more even though I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was just the characters. This was unfortunately one that I wasn't able to finish.

Good premise. A neighbourhood drama where everyone seems like the suspect. The characters were nothing special or interesting though after the first quarter of the book.
I did enjoy that there were point where anyone and everyone could be the suspect; however by the end and with the reveal, which felt rushed, it felt like the who was obvious and it was apparent that the author was creating some random elaborate scenarios to try to throw the reader off. It was at this point where the story got a little boring and lost me. Also, the ending ended up feeling a little blah.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books for the arc.

I love me a good story with a twist! BUT, yes there is a but here, I have to really like the characters and in What the Neighbors Saw, I was not a fan of the characters.

So basically Sam and Alexis buy a fixer upper so to speak in a very swanky part of DC. Things are tense and become even more so, when a neighbor is found dead.

So its a thriller about who had done it. Everyone is suspicious. That was what I loved most about the book. EVERYONE was suspicious to me. One minute I was like "Yep they did it" and then the next it was someone else. So yes, there was a nice twist to it!

Thank you #NetGalley and Minotaur Books for the arc.

This debut was fantastic! It was well paced overall. The ending was faster paced and the story definitely gave me the "Desperate Housewives" feel. So much drama in the neighborhood! The suspense slowly built up throughout the story, and while some people have said the big reveal at the end was obvious, it was not so obvious for me, and I loved that! Overall a fun read and a great escape!

I received this as an ARC from NetGalley.

Alexis and her husband Sam are living in a cramped rowhouse in DC with a little one and she is pregnant again. They have been house hunting, but have not been able to locate anything that fits their needs. Both are highly educated with good paying jobs, how hard can it be? They come across a Cape Cod house in a fancy DC suburb, while it is highly neglected and will need a lot of work, they fall in love with it.

After they move in, the quiet neighborhood is shaken by a tragedy - their neighbor, Teddy - is found dead at the bottom of a steep incline along the Potomac River. Once the police rule it a homicide, the tongues start wagging and all sorts of secrets amongst the neighbors come out. Alexis takes the time to comfort Teddy's widow and the two become close friends. Once Alexis uncovers who the murderer is, is she next?

Yikes, this book was just not good at all. I really wanted to stop reading it many times. Finally, I did stop, at around half way through. I just could not do it anymore.

This was a really messy novel. Things were all over the place. There were way too many side plots. The characters were also so annoying. I could not take Sam anymore! I was so annoyed with the characters complaining. They were SO superficial and shallow. Poor me, I am not rich enough! The petty drama got old so quickly. Especially when there was no mystery or suspense surrounding it...

This book completely lacks suspense or mystery. It's just plain boring. This should not have been classified as a thriller.

I feel like I've read so many books like this lately. While I was intrigued by the premise, everything fell a little flat for me. I didn't feel like the characters were fully developed, and the plot was a little too cliched. I had hopes for a big ending twist, but that also fell flat.

Loved this twisty, wild ride book! I love a good neighborhood drama story, and this book definitely fit into that topic. The writing was great, the plotting was great, it definitely kept me guessing.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for gifting me an advanced reader copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review and opinion.

I love a good juicy story with secrets, and this book is rich people problems at it's finest. It has a Desperate Housewives feel to it. Not everything is as shiny as it seems on the outside. Behind closed doors, its slowly revealed that all the marriages in this book are downright messy and there are plenty of secrets to go around. This makes the majority of the characters very unlikeable. We hear from two different wives, Alexis and Blair.

I enjoyed this book and would read future novels by this author.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of this book! I was interested to read it having grown up in Northern Virginia just outside DC (where the book is set). I liked the cast of characters, and the mystery/intrigue, but I felt more could have been done to build suspense and foster a lack of trust between the main characters. Ultimately this murder mystery fizzled for me.

This book is described as Desperate Housewives meets The Couple Next Door and that's pretty spot on. There are many unreliable characters and they all have secrets which I love because it keeps you guessing who you can trust. That being said, the plot progression was slow, tedious and repetitive. Overall, while the premise of the novel held promise, I was a tad disappointed with its execution. Overall, too much drama and too little intrigue!

Quite a good thriller! I am finding myself liking this genre more and more. I didn't particularly like the characters, didn't really think that the author wanted readers to. That being said, it makes it more difficult to write a story that will keep the reader turning the page. Kudos to her.