Cover Image: What’s a Duke Got to Do With It

What’s a Duke Got to Do With It

This was a sweet regency era second-chance romance. Lady Tesh is up to her usual match-making machinations. The Oddments are delightful. I loved the exuberance of Katrina’s giant dog, Mouse. I appreciated Sebastian’s earnest attempts to let Katrina handle issues on her own, even though he really, really wants to step in and save her. Katrina is much more conventional than some of the other Oddments, but she definitely struggles to fit in with genteel society for most of this book. I respected her determination to make the most out of her circumstances and to do what she saw as necessary to protect the people she cares about.

NOTE: This is the second book in the Synneful Spinsters series which is a spin-off of the Isle of Synne series. Some parts of this book are directly related to the events of the first IOS book, A Good Duke is Hard to Find. However, the story can easily be read as a standalone.

Loved this second-chance romance that takes the reader back to Synne. Katrina and Sebastian were so close to making a match until things beyond either of their control pushed them apart. Several years on, they are in very different places than they were before - Sebastian is an impoverished duke looking to marry money and Katrina is a poor companion with a ruined reputation.

When the duo unexpectedly reunite, the longing and accompanying angst is palpable. They share their limitations and their plans to address them. This openness almost works against them, as each decides they love the other person too much to step in their way. But there is never a feeling that one is trying to fool the other, which is a nice change from many romances.

The secondary characters continue to be amazing. I love the Oddments and want them to be my friends. I look forward to reading more of their stories. My biggest issues with this book were the sudden and easy resolutions to the money issues. The duke's resolution was one that should have been obvious from the start and the other is just a wee bit too pat.

A solid 4 stars. Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for an ARC of this book. The opinions in this review are my own.

The series continues with amazing characters on a faraway island. This is a second-chance romance that brings two lovers together and if destiny has anything else to say, they are going to stay together this one time. I´ve realized that Christina Britton is one of my favorite historical romance authors!

Is it just me or was this one super emotional? Sebastian and Katrina longed for each other for so long that I could feel their sadness as I read. And I really couldn't imagine how these two would finally be able to be together.

Four years on the same night, Lady Katrina and Sebastian Thorne, then the Marquess of Marsten, worlds were turned upside down. Before he could declare his feelings for her, he was called away and learned that his father had passed.

That night Lady Katrina's reputation is ruined and she must step away from London. Now she is a companion to Lady Tesh and is surrounded by wonderful friends. Things are finally starting to turn around for Katrina when the man who caused her ruination is found dead outside her bedroom window.

Now the life she'd managed to build for herself is falling apart. She finds most around snubbing her and it's starting to spill over to her friends. In order to gain some respectability and protection, she plans to marry one of the few men who will marry her despite the stain on her name and her lack of fortune. But it will all be thrown into chaos when the only man she's ever loved arrives on the island.

For the last four years, Sebastian has been trying to repair all the damage his father did to the Dukedom. Now there is only one thing left to do, marry a woman who has a small fortune to help protect the people who are counting on him. His future father-in-law sends him on a final errand in order to obtain his blessing. Never expecting that it would mean spending time with Katrina again.

The attraction is still there between them but neither can afford to jeopardize their futures, so they have to do their best to stay away from one another.

Thank you so much to the author, Forever and NetGalley for this ARC to review.

Christina Britton is crafting a super sweet series in the Synneful Spinsters, with a second installment following Katrina, a bookish woman who (through no fault of her own) has been considered the cause of a two-part scandal, meaning all of her prospects (including Sebastian, a long-ago would-be love interest) are no longer such! But Sebastian's been gone taking care of the mess his late father left behind for him, and hasn't seen Katrina in years. Perhaps they can both find a way out of their respective messes...

Really, this book feels like the best kind of palette cleanser. It isn't too long, it stays interesting, lighthearted, and humorous, and has fun characters. Love big ole Victorian (? I always get that and Regency confused) girl groups of unique ladies who fight the status quo! Really liked this installment of the series.

Thanks to Netgalley and Forever for an e-ARC!

This was an entertaining, well-written book. It was fun, steamy and kept me reading. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more books by this author.

I really enjoyed the first Synneful Spinsters book by Christina Britton, so I was very excited by the opportunity to get an early copy from the publisher of the second. It was just as good!

The “Oddments”, a bluestockings society of the ladies on the island of Synne, are a close-knit group of gals who enjoy reading and other learned activities (in modern times they would probably be in STEM pursuits). Katrina joins the group when she moves to the island as a companion of the formidable Lady Tesh after a crazy situation happened in London, then four years later it occurs again and is a scandal one more time. The Oddments rally around Katrina, who determines she needs to find herself some gentleman on the island who is willing to marry so she can just get on with life.

Sebastian, Duke of Ramsleigh, is trying to recover his estate after his late father gambled and scammed the fortune away before his untimely death. He now has to jump through hoops to get the blessing of another Duke to marry his daughter strictly for her dowry… but he can’t get the girl out of his head he almost proposed to four years ago, right before he got word about his father.

This is the second chance romance story about the great reunion of long-lost friends who had hoped for more, of getting through a regency era scandal, and girl power! I definitely recommend it (can be read as a standalone, but knowing the characters from book one makes it better).

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing), and this is my honest feedback.

The heroine and hero were getting closer when the first scandal hindered their connection. The heroine experienced another scandal when the obsessed man who created the first scandal ended up dead. To save her reputation, the heroine knows that she must get married. The hero reenters her life, a man in debt and engaged to a wealthy heiress. The connection between the hero and the heroine resumes, and now they must make a decision that would change their future.

This is the second book in the SYNNEFUL SPINSTERS series by Christina Britton. The author has a nice writing style that I enjoyed, and this could be seen in the story. However, I would have liked more details in the story since there were certain areas that dragged a bit. The book did have a variety of characters, especially with an entertaining pet and a supportive group of friends for the heroine. This addition to the SYNNEFUL SPINSTERS series has a beautiful cover representing a nice couple that I found likable but needed more time to give a solid impression for me. Overall, this was a pleasant historical romance read.

** Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the review copy. All opinions and thoughts in the review copy are my own. **

What's a Duke Got to Do With It by Christina Britton is a captivating Regency romance that seamlessly blends a heartwarming love story with passionate and intimate encounters. This fast-paced novel introduces a mesmerizing cast of charismatic characters, adding depth and allure to the narrative.

What’s a Duke Got to Do With It is a swoontastic historical romance romp.

I devoured this book in one sitting. It’s just that fabulous. I love historical romances because, for me, they are the perfect escapist read. There is this beautiful elegance and magic to their stories and settings; of course, there are gorgeous gowns. What’s a Duke Got to Do With It is my first Christina Britton book, and I can tell you it won’t be my last. In this book, Christina has written a fun, witty, and unique romance that swept this reader right off her feet. I loved the story and its characters.

Poor Katrina has found herself in the middle of a scandal not once but twice. Typically with historical romances, when the heroine is caught in a compromising position, it’s with the story’s hero. That’s not the case with this book. Katrina’s overzealous admirer takes it upon himself to sneak in her window at night, not once by twice, with the latter attempt ending fatally for him. It doesn’t matter that Katrina had no idea that he would do this or that nothing happened between them; her reputation was ruined. Because of the scandal, Katrina finds herself working as a companion for Lady Tesh (who I adore) and is now living on the lovely island of Synne (just off the coast of England). Our hero, Sebastian, has his own set of troubles in this book. When his father passes away at the beginning of this story, he leaves the Dukedom in shambles, and Sebastian finds himself trying to pay back all the debts his father owes. And, of course, because this is a romance book, he can only get himself out of financial ruin by marrying a lady with a large dowry.

I love this story. I found the pacing to be perfect and loved the unexpected twists and turns that Christina included. This story has this fabulous blend of humour, wit, drama, and romance. All these elements are just so well balanced and create an entertaining story.

I adored every single one of the characters in this book. They are all so likable, interesting, and engaging. Katrina is a wonderful heroine. You really can’t help but root for her. In this book, she goes through a lot of hardship, and I just had to keep reading because I wanted to see her get her HEA. The friendship between the ladies who make up the Oddments is fantastic; each lady has a quirky and unique personality. Katrina finds unwavering support from her group of friends, which warms her heart. They stand by Katrina through the scandal she is facing, even if standing by her creates hardships in their own lives. I also love that Christina has set up the series so each lady will get their own book.

The romance in this book is utter perfection. It’s a delightful second chance and forbidden romance. I just could not get enough of Katrina and Sebastian. There is just something that is so addictive about a forbidden romance. I think it’s because this unknown factor exists in this kind of relationship. I knew these two characters would end up together, but I had no idea how Christina would pull it off. I have to say that I love the direction that Christina went with Katrina and Sebastian’s relationship and how they came together in the end.

What’s a Duke Got to Do With It is a love story filled with delicious chemistry, fabulous characters, and a story that will have you swooning.

Katrina Denby has been shunned by society not only once but twice when a certain gentleman has tried to access her bedroom. Katrina had nothing to do with the events, but society deemed them as scandals so now Katrina and her dog Mouse have become companions to Lady Tesh. She loves her life and her friends, but sometimes misses her old life and a man she just can not seem to forget, Sebastian Thorne.

Sebastian Thorne is soon to be entering into an arranged marriage to save the Dukedom. He is unhappy but sees no other way to save his family and the people that work for him. When he accidentally ends up at Lady Tesh’s estate and sees the one woman he has longed for, Miss Katrina Denby, he is at a crossroads.

I absolutely loved this second novel in the Synneful Spinsters series by Christina Britton. The main characters were beautifully written and I loved the banter between them. The supporting characters were also well written and added interest to the story. Although this is the second novel in the series, it can be read as a stand a lone story gently touching on what the first novel was about. The was one character that stood out among the rest though was Mouse, Katrina's floppy, clumsy, over zealous dog. He was just too much fun. My thanks to Forever Publishing for my advanced readers copy which I read and reviewed voluntarily. A fun series with fabulous characters.

Four seasons ago Katrina Denby was the toast of London & was falling for a Marquis, then one horrible night he was called home & her reputation was ruined when a man entered her bedchamber. Now the last thing she expected to find in her garden is the body of the man who ruined her three seasons ago. No matter that his death is a tragic accident, he fell whilst climbing to her bedchamber. With two scandals now hounding her, the best she can hope for is a hasty marriage of convenience—until her first love shows up in the drawing room, reminding her of all the reasons why she wanted a love match. Sebastian Thorne, Duke of Ramsleigh, knows what he has to do to save the dukedom from the crushing debts and scandal his father left: marry and marry well. He’s picked the lady, too—a baron’s daughter who has a large dowery. But seeing Katrina again makes him want to throw all those perfectly laid plans out the window.
A very well written book with strong characters & a story that tugged at my heart strings. I loved Sebastian from the start – he told Katrina he had to leave. I also loved Katrina & my heart bled for her, I'm so so glad she had the wonderful Lady Tesh in her court. It’s not a light hearted read, although there is some humour but it highlights how easily a woman could fall from grace through no fault of her own. I loved that Sebastian & Katrina were honest with each other & loved that they fought to keep apart but their feeling just grew & grew. I was routing for Katrina from the word go & Sebastian was definitely her soul mate. Yes there’s angst but there’s also a love that won't be denied
My review is for a special copy I voluntarily read

What’s a Duke Got to do with it by Christina Britton
Synneful Spinsters series #2. Historical romance. Can be read as a stand-alone.
Kristina Denby has fallen from the ton, through no fault of her own. However, this is a historical society, so she carries the blame in the eyes of many. Sebastian Thorne, the Duke of Ramsleigh is also broke because of his father’s gambling debts, but the title still gives him status. He intends to marry a woman with a dowry so he can help his own family, workers and townspeople to overcome the poverty trickled down.
Both are temporary members of Lady Tess’s household and their long ago blooming love interest is rekindled and cannot be denied, though it means sacrifice beyond just themselves.

Parties and dances and outings are just the method of socializing for a purpose. It’s a game of moving pieces, isn’t it? At least one evil villain tries to exert his will, while the innocent deal with the details. Romance - so remember, falling in love trumps all. This story is a feel good, underdog winning the man and the hearts of the readers.
Smart heroines with moxie and backbone asserting their independence and using head and heart for all.

This story incudes an overgrown and huge puppy that provides comedy throughout.
Excerpt:
“In the next instant Mouse’s great snout, given a clear shot to that body part he loved most, arrowed straight for the duke’s...nether regions. And with a strangled “Uargh!” the duke doubled over, dropping like a felled tree.”
Excerpt from What’s a Duke Got to Do With it by Christina Britton

I received a copy of this from NetGalley

Katrina Denby has had a rough go of it, no thanks to the awful men in her life. Twice blamed for the actions of giant POS Lord Landon and shunned by her brother Francis, she finds refuge as a companion for Lady Tesh on the Isle of Synne. Her group of friends the Oddments give her comfort but she has never forgotten her first love, Sebastian.

The prologue sets up the romance in this book which fans of the friends to lovers and second chance romance tropes will enjoy. I wish it had been longer to really see the feelings Sebastian and Katrina had for each other. My main gripe about this book is the prologue is so short it makes it all seem a little insta-lovey to me. There is a lot of angst and back and forth if that is your thing and we could all use a wingwoman like Lady Tesh in our lives. All in all, an enjoyable installment in the series.

Many thanks to Forever Grand Central & Netgalley for the ARC.

Katrina Denby was a diamond of the first water anticipating an offer from the, Sebastian, Marquess of Marsten when tragedy struck causing irreparable damage to her reputation causing her to lose a relationship with her brother and end up in service working for a Viscountess on the Island of Synne. Fast forward a couple of years and the Sebastian, now the Duke of Ramsleigh is attempting to recoup losses caused by his father's poor financial management and unethical investments, is seeking to marry an heiress to help him protect his family home and be able to help his tenants. They meet again on the Island when Sebastian is charged with accompanying his prospective brother in law there to ensure that he forgets his lady love, an actress who is thought to be unsuitable to his father. Sebastian and Katrina have a hard time forgetting the flirtation they enjoyed four years ago and soon they are sharing stolen kisses. Although they both know nothing can come of this attraction, they are hopeless to stop feeling it when they are constantly thrown together by her employer, Lady Tesh. While a romantic read, the story was slow to develop but it eventually got to the HEA and a fantastic ending for Katrina and Sebastian. I am looking forward to more from Ms. Britton.

I received the story as an ARC from NetGalley and I am voluntarily leaving a review.

I love every time I get to return to the Isle of Synne, and this latest adventure to the isle is no different. We've gotten to see Katrina as part of the Oddments and within her position as Lady Tesh's companion in previous books, but What's a Duke Got to Do With It was Katrina's time to shine. I enjoyed getting to explore her character further; it was clear from previous books that Katrina had a story to tell, and Britton's storytelling here did not disappoint.

The characters in any Isle of Synne/Synneful Spinsters book are definitely worth reading about. I particularly love the Oddments and all their quirks, and I'm loving reading about all of them getting their happily-ever-afters. We've previously gotten to know Katrina through her role at Lady Tesh's side, but this book finally gave her the spotlight and filled readers in on her backstory and how she came to be on Synne and how she found herself as a companion. Lady Tesh is fast becoming one of my favorite supporting characters, and I hope we get to see much more of her throughout future Synneful Spinster stories.

I both loved and felt for Katrina and Sebastian. Both were in difficult situations at the start of the book, at no fault of their own, but they were both strong in their determination to make things right for those they cared about. Their love and attention for those around them meant this second-chance romance was also a slow burn, but the pay off was definitely worth it.

I always find Britton's writing easy to get lost in, and this latest novel is no different. Settings and characters are always well done, and action scenes (spicy or otherwise) are always on point. Like pretty much every other main character (or past/future main character), I loved Katrina and Sebastian and loved the slow-burn, second-chance journey they went on together.

I loved Katrina and Sébastien. I'm a fan of slow burn and second chances and this book combines it so well. Not to mention the hilarious opening (well we shouldn't laugh at a dead lord but hey) !

The gentle push and pull of attraction has the perfect amount of strong nudge from my fav Lady Tesh. Loved her from the earlier book and she doesn't disappoint. The mouse is more prominent and without giving any spoilers you would love it!! Also the end!! Be ready for a good groveling scene.

So much love to this book.
Thanks Netgalley and foreverbooks for the ARC!

Thanks #NetGalley for the advanced copy of #WhatsaDukeGottoDoWithIt by Christina Britton in exchange for an honest review.

This is book 2 of the #SynnefulSpinsters series but can be read as a standalone book. I enjoyed the last book in this series so was excited to see book 2 on the netgalley list. I was not let down by the book. I thoroughly enjoyed this second chance at love for 2 characters that were on their way to finding love until scandal and ruin finds both of them. This book is angsty without being too angsty. Once again you see the Oddments (group of spinsters) and they are there to fight for and with the FMC. Don't you just love to see women supporting women? I know I do. I really wasn't sure how the HEA would work out for these 2 but never felt stressed about there possibly not being one. If you like found families and second chances, I think you will enjoy this book.

What's A Duke Got To Do With It by Christina Britton is the 2nd book of her Synneful Spinsters Series.

The title of this fabulous book made me think of this awesome song by Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It... and honestly? I sang the whole time "What's A Duuuuke Got To Do With It..." 😅

This brilliant love story of Katrina and Sebastian felt like the coziest blanket and I just never wanted to be over.

Miss Katrina Denby had her fair share of scandals and is the companion of Lady Tesh now. Hoping for a good marriage to get back her reputation she never expected to see the man of her dreams again... years ago there was a special chemistry between her and Sebastian, but he had to take care of his family. Now he's back and the Duke of Ramsleigh... but can they continue where everything had to stop?

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK!!! 😍
Now I'd love to read it again and again and again and again!
Their love story made my heart explode. As a hopeful romantic I want what Katrina and Sebastian have... true love. ❤️
They had to deal with impediments along their way... and... aaargh! I don't wanna spoil you!
READ THIS WONDERFUL BOOK AND FALL IN LOVE TOO! ❤️

I really really really loved Katrina and Sebastian! Awwwww! What a couple!!! Great characters! OMG and I can't stop swooning about HIM!!! 😍😍😍😍
Ha! But I don't want to forget to mention all the other great characters like Lady Tesh!!
Awwww! And MOUSE! Katrina's dog! He's a pure genius! LOL

So... What's A Duke Got To Do With It has it all!
DRAMA, LOVE, HEARTBREAK, LAUGHTER, FRIENDSHIP, COURAGE and so much more! ❤️❤️❤️
I really really really loved this book, their beautiful love story and can't wait for more of this series - or more of Christina Britton generally.

This is the tale of the most unfortunate woman in the world. Seriously, if bad luck had a face, it would be that of our heroine, Miss Katrina Denby. Although it seemed almost comical, in a dark humor sort of way, I was instantly drawn to her as a character. She had to endure so much during a time that had very little sympathy for women. And then enters our hero, who somehow has also fallen on quite a bit of bad luck in a short time. Ultimately, these two embark on a romantic journey of second chances, with a dash of forced proximity and a strong helping of found family. The Isle of Synne has solidified its role as the island of misfits and outcasts - I love it!

The last thing Miss Katrina Denby expected to find outside her bedroom window was the body of the man who has ruined her four years earlier. As if life wasn't hard enough being shunned by her brother and working as a companion when she used to be the diamond of the ton, now she must revisit her trauma every day while the local townspeople shun her for it. Sebastian Thorne, Duke of Ramsleigh, was her first love, so things get even more complicated when he shows up on the doorstep of her employer with a young lord in tow. Especially when that young lord is the brother of Sebastian's near-betrothed, a woman he doesn't love but whom he must marry to save his estate and sisters from financial ruin. The last thing either of them need is romance in their lives, but the sparks that simmered beneath the surface years ago have come back to life once more. Now the next step is to let them die...or breathe life into them again.

Both main characters were easily lovable, albeit at times with a pitying sort of lens. Poor Katrina just could not catch a break, and even though she had found tremendous support with her employer and her friends, she hurt from the fact that her only remaining family wouldn't speak to her. Her brother, dear reader, was the absolute worst. He deserved to lose an arm, and I don't say that lightly. It's a long fall from being the social butterfly of all the parties to being the pariah hidden away out of sight, and Katrina managed herself well with grace and humility. But she couldn't help it when her heart wanted Sebastian. Sebastian never forgot Katrina, but after his father's death left him with more debt than he could reasonably manage, he struggled to stay afloat. He had a hard enough time rescuing himself, let alone helping Katrina with her dilemma. Things hadn't exactly improved over the last four years, and although he felt a deep passion for his first love, he knew she didn't have the funds to help his family. Yep, he was a gold-digger...albeit one whose motives were understandable. Of course, as with all romance, love finds a way. And if you get towards the end of the book and wonder if her brother will ever get what's coming to him, don't worry - he does!