Cover Image: Thief Liar Lady

Thief Liar Lady

Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for providing me this Advanced Readers Copy of Thief Liar Lady by D.L Soria!

Loved the Cinderella vibes of this book, especially the mixed emotions and plot! It was clever to wove magic into the story, made everything much more magical and exciting. I really enjoyed the double identity, court intrigue and all the political side-plots!

Fast paced, entertaining read!

DNF at 45%

I wanted to love this. The concept is incredible. Cinderella is a thief. I mean, how cool is that? However, I had heard the first half was slow, and that it picks up after that. Those reviews were not wrong. I was so bored for the first 40% that I no longer cared to find out. This book is way too long for me to read 200 pages for it to pick up finally. Also, the worldbuilding left a lot to be desired. The magic was poorly explained and the characters' motivations were underdeveloped.

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group, and Del Rey for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thief Liar Lady by D.L. Soria is an adult fantasy retelling of Cinderella with a new twist... she's a thief with a rebel agenda.

Zura Johnson has such a soothing and emotion-laced voice that takes hold and leaves you captivated. I did feel this was a bit longer than I'd expected. It ties in the fairytale we all know with political intrigue, a unique magic system and a side romance.

Some items didn't fit the era and the background of the magical aspects could've used a bit more history but I really enjoyed this overall. The background of the characters contains a lot of well thought out depth that targets growth throughout the story. My favorite part is the chemistry, banter and almost forbidden love that blossoms. Such a fun twist on a classic. There's a little bit of steam in this one that was pleasantly surprising if you're a bumchicawawa lover like me.

If you're a Cinderella retelling lover checkout the synopsis and reviews and see if its for you too!

This book wasn't everything I expected. I thought I was getting a story about a con-woman who wanted to take the crown.

This book ran a little bit longer than I expected. The story lingered a little too long on politics. I felt like it could have been shortened in some areas.

All in all, I enjoyed this book and had fun with the characters.

creative, readable, magic, if a teeny bit too long. refine that pacing even a little bit and it would’ve been utterly spectacular. but very good anyway

A unique take on the Cinderella story. Truly an adult fairy tale.
Many thanks to Random House and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.

I was all-in on this Cinderella retelling until I got 3/4 of the way through the book. I was ready to forgive the underdeveloped magic system and the confusing political plot because I was thoroughly enjoying Aislinn/Ash as a badass protagonist and loved seeing her relationship with her stepsisters and other side characters change and develop. But after one particularly momentous occasion--which I won't list here, because spoilers--the plot started to deviate wildly, and there's some romance that seems like it's trying to emulate a certain series from Sarah J. Maas (though, I'll admit, the chemistry is solid and both characters suit one another really well).

It's still a fun read, and the narrative drive is powerful enough to have made me ignore those plot holes, but...it still irked me.

I wish this was book one in a series, there were a lot of really interesting worldbuilding tidbits and plot points brought up, and I wish they’d had more time to develop. I think this was a really fun take on the Cinderella story but things felt a bit rushed.

I’m usually not a fan of retellings (which admittedly, is odd considering I’ve requested a bunch of retelling ARCs. I digress.). But a Cinderella retelling that is also a political minefield? Sign me up.

In this story, Cinderella (Ash) isn’t innocent and doesn’t need a savior. She’s a tenacious player in a political long game and working with her stepmother, using magic to bend others to their will.

While Ash is in the palace at the beginning of the book, there are dual timelines of the present and how she got there via the ball.

Ash’s family includes lineage from neighboring Eloria, a country conquered by Solis, the country where she resides and of the Prince she is betrothed to. While in the palace, she has plans to try to change treaty negotiations between the two countries while also trying to seem innocent to her betrothed. Throw in the “hostage prince” from Eloria and it makes everything that much more complicated and dangerous.

While the beginning half of the novel we the setup and a bit too long, the second half picked up. I enjoyed this twist on the fairy tale. Thanks to NetGalley and Random House for this eARC. Thief Liar Lady is out now.

I quite enjoyed this retelling of Cinderella. In this book, Cinderella is not an innocent young girl, victimized by her stepmother and stepsisters, who is only saved by marrying the handsome price. Here, Cinderella is a con artist who works with her stepmother and stepsisters to use magic to manipulate the prince into marrying her.

The plot has lots of twists and turns, interesting characters, political intrigue, romance, magic--my kind of book! I like a nice complex plot, but I think my only complaint with this book is that it's maybe too complex, resulting in some inconsistencies and being a bit too rushed in some parts.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free e-ARC of this book.

This book was so unbelievably good! I was enjoying quite a bit, but then the story took off and I could not devour the pages fast enough! It was such a unique Cinderella retelling. There are so many twists and turns it keeps you flying thru the pages. Thanks to #NetGalley for this magical story!

I am not sure what in the world this author thought they were trying to do with a kind of retelling of a thief Cinderella but this was I don't even know what to even call this one. But the story felt like an info dump and just way to much back story. I felt like I had been dropped into a story already going on. I kind of wish this would have been a book two. So one story could have been all about the story we know with the changes of Cinderella then this one could be going forward.

I enjoyed this fresh take on Cinderella--a welcome change from the usual fairytale retread.
My library did purchase the title.

Oh my! This book was fantastic. I loved everything about this book. I think it could have been considered a young adult book. I thought the suspense and conning from everyone was great. I will enjoy reading more books by this author. I loved the dynamics between Ash and Rance and Ash and her stepsisters.

Thank you #NetGalley and Del Rey for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. The opinions above are my own.

Thank you to Del Rey (Penguin Random House) and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader Copy of this ebook!

To find out what happened after the Prince put the glass slipper on Cinderella’s foot, author D. L. Soria’s semi-sequel to the classic fairy tale adds a twist: what if our heroine was a conwoman all along? The shine of this creative premise unfortunately dulls after 63 chapters of weak political intrigue, underdeveloped supporting characters, and confusing magical rules (why does no one else use “lustre” to manipulate those around them?) I think with some heavy editing this could have worked better as a YA fantasy, but as it is “Thief Liar Lady” was not for me.

This high stakes Cinderella retelling exceeded my expectations. It was different than any other Cinderella retelling I’ve ever read! I loved that the story wasn’t a wholesome love story, but instead a high stakes novel where our Cinderella is fierce, independent, and has amazing tenacity, aaaand is maybe a little morally gray in her own way. I also enjoyed the slow burn romance that was plotted throughout the book (I’m a sucker for tension, the more the merrier!). The only qualms I had were these: it felt a little drawn out and slow around 1/3 of the way and maybe could’ve been cut back a little, but it picks up pretty good around 1/2 way. I also felt like the modern swearing was a little awkward and forced, but not enough to impact the story too much overall. Would definitely recommend to anyone who loves retellings!

If it was somehow unclear, this is a Cinderella retelling. I've read several takes on her story and figured this would be a nice, light read to add in between some heavier things and an easy way to mix in more fantasy. "Thief Liar Lady", though, was like Cinderella but make it Game of Thrones, and I was into it.

Ash is about to marry Prince Everett after meeting at the ball and having a whirlwind romance. Their love story has captured the hearts of a nation on the brink of war in desperate need of fairy tales and sent her from life as a scullery maid to living in the palace. She's having some trouble adjusting, but not because of the culture shock. Because she seduced the prince using magic as part of a scheme with her stepmother to infiltrate the palace, and the part of the demure lady she's playing is just that: a part.

Ash may have used her stepmother's plan to get here, but she has her own schemes on how to influence the nation and it's enemies and alliances now that she's in a position of power. If only the hostage prince, Verance, a royal ward as a condition of a peace treaty, would stop being so observant and distracting ...

I enjoyed the political scheming in this book and that it wasn't afraid of getting a little dark, in what felt like a realistic way when it came to getting and keeping political power. The first 2/3 of the book were set-up heavy, and bounced back and forth between timelines to explain how Ash got to the palace, where she was already living in chapter 1. I enjoyed getting to know the characters, but I wish the last 1/3rd had been as fleshed out--as I got closer to the end I kept being worried that I'd missed this being a series because it felt like there was no way things could wrap up that fast. They did, and I liked the ending, but I wish it hadn't been so quick. A lot happened, and I wanted the chance to see everything play out and all the characters react fully.

That being said, this was a fun surprise, and I'd love to see more retellings from this author!

Thank you to NetGalley, the publishers, & the author for the advance copy in exchange for my honest review.

The premise of this book made it an immediate request. A scam/thief version of Cinderella? Sign me up!

I really enjoyed this retelling and it was so much fun to see Cinderella and her stepsisters be secret masterminds. The magic system is a bit confusing but I really loved the storytelling.

It would be fun for the author to do more retellings with this twist!

The ball is over. The slipper fit. The prince was won. Now the real work begins. Ash and her step family have worked for the chance at an opportune wedding for Ash and her step sisters and Ash has secured an engagement to the Prince. But that is not Ash's only goal as she placed herself within the court during treaty renegotiations between Solis and conquered Eloria. Unfortunately, Everett's childhood friend and hostage prince of Eloira, Rance, makes an already complicated situation that much more dangerous for Ash and all of her plans.

Soria was ambitious with this continuation of the Cinderella myth in her layers of colonialism and what it takes to survive. Ash is desperate to hold the balance of expectation from every side in order to be what she has to be and almost never is that person who she is. Soria captures that mindset and that exhaustion incredibly well. To sell this as simply Cinderella conned the prince feels disingenuous in hindsight because of the breath of elements at play within this book. However, because of all those elements the pacing in the plot felt a little disjointed, especially in the second half as there was enough material to expand into a duology rather than a stand alone. As such, some of pieces feel rushed or set aside for the sake of version of a happily ever after that I am still reflecting on.