Cover Image: L.A. Hustle

L.A. Hustle

A modern LA noir full of twists and turns featuring one of the more memorable PIs I've ever come across.

I loved the classic, dry wit of Digger Sharma. There was great dialogue and a intelligent characters. The storyline was great, but at times the pacing and depth fell flat. There was a lot of leading up to things and then sudden revelations which became frustrating after a while. Digger Sharma could have been developed a bit more with more nuance to his backstory. Lots of amusing cultural references. Overall, it was a great story, good plot, and a fun read!

I love a good mystery and thriller and when I saw this available via NetGalley I jumped at the chance as it was a new author and looked like something different.

The storyline itself is not bad but I found that this book lacked pace and depth which are key things that draw me in to a story and make me care about the characters. I found there was a lot of leading up to things and then sudden revelations and solving of clues done off page. Those are the parts that I find the most interesting so the fact they are done off page is offputting.

I also didn't like the characters turn of phrase as it just seemed...off. Sleazy male but not in a good way. He lacked depth and bordered on racial stereotyping that I felt added nothing.

The placing of Newcastle Upon Tyne in Yorkshire is infuriating as an English person.

It has the bones of a great book but there is no jeopardy.

Thank you to NetGalley and Indigo River Publishing for the chance to read this book in return for an honest review.

The thing I enjoyed most about this book was the author’s turn of phrase. Some brilliant comparisons and witty retorts made me chuckle unintentionally throughout. The story itself was plausible and enjoyable but perhaps less memorable as the two sequences of events combined. Thank you to Netgalley for the advance reader copy of this book.

The author did a great job in presenting this drama and I liked how comfortable the story flowed even with suspenseful intrigue. How he figures out what is going on, is his dogged pursuit of the facts that puts him in the crosshair of an unknown killer. The author planted a few strategically placed clues that kept me in the game with key elements that enhanced my reading pleasure. You’ll have to read this cleverly written whodunit to learn the outcome. Digger is flawed but I like his spirit and I look forward to solving more cases with Digger Sharma. Overall, this was an enjoyable read.