Cover Image: The Witches of Bone Hill

The Witches of Bone Hill

DNF. I could not get into this one.

🗣 Thank you to NetGalley and stmartinspress for the opportunity to read and review this book via gifted ARC! All opinions are honest and my own.

The Witches of Bone Hill by Ava Morgyn is a paranormal novel that follows the journey of two sisters, Cordelia and Eustace, who inherit a haunted mansion from their mysterious great aunt. As they explore their family history and their own magical abilities, they face danger, secrets, and betrayal
I would recommend this book to others who are looking for a spellbinding, romantic, and terrifying novel that explores the themes of family, identity, and power. The Witches of Bone Hill by Ava Morgyn is a captivating and memorable book that will leave the reader breathless and wanting more..

DNF'd at 15%. Ultimately, this just wasn't for me. I was pretty scared at the very beginning but then it just sorta felt like a joke. Sad this was a miss.

Wow! If you're looking for a "Fall vibes" book, this one takes the cake! It's got the spooky vibes with ghosts and scary things around every corner. This was almost horror due to the amount of gore that happened. I enjoyed it and was biting my nails in so many different parts of it! It also has great amounts of family vibes to show you the importance of family. Some romance as well! It truly just keeps you reeled in and wanting to read more! I loved it!

The Witches of Bone Hill follows our main character, Cordelia Bone, as her life comes crumbling down around her and then she finds out that her estranged great aunt has died and left her an inheritance.

Cordelia hasn’t seen her sister, Eustace, in a few years but they both need to go to the estate in Connecticut to deal with the estate and inheritance. Their mother kept them completely separate from the rest of her family while they were growing up, moving around and never settling in one place. They know nothing about their family or the mysteries that they will uncover about the estate, and themselves, when they arrive at Bone Hill.

I really enjoyed The Witches of Bone Hill for the first 75% and found the pacing enjoyable, the mysteries kept me engaged, and the I felt really invested in the characters and the story. However, I found the pacing was really off for me after the 75% mark and some things were super drawn out, which also made them kind of confusing. The other parts went by way too quickly.

I did overall enjoy this one!

I'd categorize this novel as one that I liked reading well enough, but I don't forsee myself reaching for again within the next two years. The atmosphere was great, the vibes were there, but the story itself was burdened with too many moving parts and elements that didn't quite have a home. It became a chore to read at certain points, but it wasn't impossible to carve through. I'd be interested in seeing what Ava Morgyn does next, but Bone Hill was a bit of a miss for me, personally.

I really thought that I was going to like this. But it wasn't for me. Like it wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best. I felt like the story line was not believable. and Fantasy is my preferred genre to read.

Highly enjoyed this book. It was an easy fast-paced read that kept me wanting more. The characters were easy to follow and the story made me want more as it went along. This is a must-read if you are looking for a story about family secrets, an old house, and new/old romances.

This book wasn’t what I was expecting.

I really enjoyed the relationship between the two sisters, but I found the overall theme to be very gothic and scary for me. There were some scenes I had to skim over.

I did enjoy the ending.

Cordelia and Eustace learning about their newly revealed powers and the secrets that their mother was running from was a pretty fun adventure. Things were definitely pretty bad for both of them before they went to Bone Hill and that marvelous house (wish I could see it). Even with the darkness lurking there it had its upsides. It was pretty easy to guess who the villain was but that was okay. I liked the forays into the different types of magic, from speaking with the dead, to sharing minds with the animals.

This was a fun book to read and I sped through it, wanting to find out all the secrets of the Bone Witches. They certainly are a powerful bunch, especially when threatened.

This book was not for me. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it. I was disappointed that I couldn't enjoy it as much as others seem to, but I know that everyone has different tastes and preferences when it comes to literature

Thank you to the author, publishers, and TLC Book Tours, for an advance paperback copy of THE WITCHES OF BONE HILL. Thank you also to NetGalley for an accomanying widget. All views are mine.

Three (or more) things I loved:

1. I love these sisters. I love Eustis and I am her. My sister just stayed with us for two weeks so she could get some medical tests done, and when she hugging me she said, I love you sister-mom. This dual role reminds me of Eustis so much!

2. Descriptions of the house are gorgeous and haunting.

3. I adore the Mashup of the witchy family tropes and the haunted house tropes! This is a great, entertaining book!

Three (or less) things I didn't love:

This section isn't only for criticisms. It's merely for items that I felt something for other than "love" or some interpretation thereof.

1. I really don't like this expression, or any cliché, as an opening line.

2. This book is really hectic. It's composed practically entirely of action sequences. There are few moments of rest for the characters or the reader. It can make things a little hard to follow, and I can see why I had a hard time on my first read. I bet I was worn out, since I tend to read books all at once!

Rating: 👭🏽👭🏽👭🏽.5 close sisters
Recommend? Yes
Finished: Sep 27 '23
Format: Digital arc, Kindle, NetGalley
Read this book if you like:
👻 ghost stories
🏚 haunted houses
🧙 witches
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 family stories, family drama
💇‍♀️ women's coming of age
😵 curses

Due to St. Martins Press refusal to address the remarks made by their employee regarding Palestine, I will not be reviewing this book.

This in no way has anything to do with the author. But I refuse to support anything from SMP because of their refusal to address a major issue at hand.

Drawn by the allure of witchy elements, this book unfolds an intriguing tale of two sisters inheriting not just a house but a complex family history filled with clandestine rituals and magic.

Cordelia Bone's meticulously crafted life in Dallas unravels due to her husband's debts, propelling her and her carefree sister Eustace to a Connecticut town to settle the estate of an unknown great aunt. However, the Victorian mansion they inherit comes with a dynasty trust, enigmatic rituals, and a host of eerie secrets, including a mysterious groundskeeper and a haunting family secret.

As Cordelia and Eustace grapple with the challenges, they unearth family truths and face a lurking enemy. The story transforms from an inheritance tale to a gripping fight for survival, with tension building as the sisters confront the malevolence tied to their legacy. Bone rituals and humor add depth, making this recommended for those who enjoy witchy stories.

I DNF this book, I could not grab onto the characters or plot lines and it just wasn’t for me! What drew me to it is the title and the book cover, it seemed perfect for spooky season, but I felt the plot was the same story I have read many times before, just not executed very well. I liked some of the scenery descriptions, but the characters were too surface level to feel invested in. I did not finish and would not recommend to a friend.

This one was a tough one for me because in the beginning I did not like the main character, Cordelia, and that put me off of the story for quite a while. But as the plot progressed and I learned more about her backstory and her motivations, she grew on me. The relationship between Cordelia and Eustace, and seeing how it changed and developed throughout the novel was my favorite thing.

The magical aspect was really well done. It felt natural, like this type of magic could exist in the real world. It added to the creepy atmosphere and vibes of the whole book. This was a perfect Autumn read!

Thank you to NetGalley, St. Martin’s Griffin, and Ava Morgyn for an advance copy of The Witches of Bone Hill in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to like this so much but for some reason I just couldn’t get into it. Maybe I just didn’t pick it up at the right time

Guillermo Del Toro’s “Crimson Peake” meets “Practical Magic” in this debut novel from Ava Morgyn, The Witches of Bone Hill.

After finding out her husband has been cheating on her, Cordelia Bone needs a break from reality. When her sister, Eustace, informs her they are the last remaining relatives of a dead great aunt and must deal with the estate, Cordelia decides to use the house to pay off her ex’s debt and get her shit together.

Once they arrive, the sisters realize their inherited estate is worth much more than expected. Their great aunt’s attorney controls every aspect of the house. When they stumble upon secret rituals, peculiar artifacts, and strange visions of their dead relatives, the sisters must uncover their family secrets, including what happened to their mother and deceased relatives.

A haunted house setting will always be superior to any other setting. Morgyn brought the Bone Hill house to life with intricate, gothic details and atmospheric writing. If a book can make me say, “nope, nope, nope,” out loud, it automatically is a three-star read. If you’re horror adverse, I won’t attempt The Witches of Bone Hill, but if you’re like me and love a hair-raising gothic novel, this one is for you,

My only realistic gripe with the novel was the magic system the Bone sisters utilize; the author’s explanations for the runes, recipes, and rituals seemed haphazard and without much thought. Despite the title, their witchcraft took a backseat to the narrative, so in the end, the ins and outs of their magic didn’t matter but would’ve been a personal preference.

Also, the romance between Cordelia and Gordon had chemistry and potential. Still, by the time the book’s second half came around, it floundered and felt like having a romance for the sake of ticking a box. Her ex-husband’s debt issues were also very random and carried little to no urgency in the novel, and it could have been taken out with no problem.

A gothic family saga that floundered here and there, The Witches of Bone Hill had the potential to be a great horror novel for non-horror fans.

This ARC was provided by St. Martin’s Press and Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The issue I had with this one is that I may have been reading too many books about witches and was feeling a little uninterested in this story. I unfortunately did not love the narrator and found it difficult to be in her head at all times. I also felt that the story was quite slow at some points. I unfortunately think this one just wasn't for me!

The Witches of Bone Hill had potential, but only manages to deliver in some areas.
The atmosphere of this book was spot on while the pacing made it hard to get into. Then when the pacing picks up, the atmosphere dwindles. There was just a bit too much going on as well (stalker, love interest, the ex, the lawyer, the Mafia lender) and I think if a few elements were focused on more (and others left entirely out) it would have worked better. I loved the magical elements, the sisters, and the family history that is entwined throughout the book.