Cover Image: Relative Strangers

Relative Strangers

This book is like candy. Despite the story taking place at a retreat for cancer patients, it’s a lighthearted and fun read that shares thoughtful reflections on life, love, and loss.

Relatively Strange is well paced and brings the drama. A. H. Kim is a great storyteller, and by extension, so is her character, Amelia. Amelia is recovering from catastrophic loss on all fronts: her father’s death, her relationship, and the concomitant end of her career in the epicenter of the food glitterati. We are never quite as self-absorbed as we are when we are grieving, and Amelia begins the book in a self-indulgent rut. I most enjoyed reading how she begins the complicated process of repairing her relationship with her sister. Sisterhood is so complex and Kim paints a really beautiful picture of what it means to love and forgive.

I’m not a Jane Austin girlie, but I was able to enjoy this book without the references. Some of the humor in this book is a bit outdated but overall, the story is charming and the characters are memorable.

Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for the ARC to review.

I'm a fan of Jane Austen re-inventions (well, of Jane Austen as well). Relative Strangers is a retelling of Sense and Sensibility, an Austen novel that I'm not as familiar with as some of her other ones (and now I want to read it, and also I want to watch the Emma Thompson movie). Anyway, in brief: for various reasons, Eleanor and Amelia, along with their Mom and Eleanor's daughter, decamp to a cancer retreat in northern California. Eleanor and Amelia connect with other people working there, have crushes, deal with family issues, and try to cope with both the death of their father (and an older brother they never knew they had). It's well written, moves quickly, and the characters are incredibly likable (even the ones we're not supposed to like!). The book touches on some serious topics (like gender and racial identity) in a light way (if such a thing is possible) and that fits perfectly into the narrative. I figured that given the Austen connection it would all be tied up on a neat little bow at the end and it's nice to read a book with a positive and upbeat ending.

I recently read the author's first book, A Good Family, and liked it, and I'm pleased to say that this one fulfills the promise of the first one. I look forward to reading other books by A. H. Kim.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.

If you're up for a fun and engaging read, then look no further than Relative Strangers by A.H. Kim. It's like a modern-day remix of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, with a generous sprinkling of humor and a whole lot of fresh pastries!

Kim has taken Austen's timeless creations and given them a contemporary makeover that had me totally invested. I found myself giggling and grinning as I devoured the pages of this witty and charming tale. And speaking of characters, they're so relatable and lovable that you can't help but cheer them on. Each has a unique voice and personality that will win you over. You'll feel like you've made new friends by the time you reach the end.

But let me give you a little heads-up: don't read this book on an empty stomach! Seriously, the descriptions of those fresh pastries are mouthwatering. I had to resist the urge to raid the nearest bakery every time Kim painted a delicious picture with words. It's like a gastronomic adventure mixed with a love story, and it's as decadent as it sounds.

What impressed me most about Relative Strangers is how it keeps the heart and soul of Sense and Sensibility alive in a modern setting. The themes of love, societal expectations, and tangled family ties are as relevant today as they were in Austen's time. Kim captures and weaves these elements into a captivating narrative that keeps you turning pages.

If you're into love stories with a dash of mystery and a side of family secrets, this book is tailor-made for you. It's a fresh and delicious take on a beloved classic skillfully crafted by A.H. Kim.

So, grab a cup of tea, find a cozy spot, and get ready to be whisked into the world of Relative Strangers. Trust me. You won't be able to resist its charm and humor. Enjoy the ride!

This was a modern twist on the classic Jane Austen book Sense and Sensibility. I really liked the characters and enjoyed the humor incorporated throughout. Avoid reading while you are hungry because there are numerous descriptions of fresh pastries. Overall this book cleverly maintained many of the themes from the source material in its updated setting. If you enjoy love stories with a heaping side of family secrets, this is probably for you!

Relative Strangers is an upbeat, modern reimagining of Sense and Sensibility. It was a fast and enjoyable read. Kim put her own unique spin on a beloved classic.

Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing, Graydon House for this digital arc in exchange for my honest review which is not affiliated with any brand.

This book was great! I read this in about a day and a half because I couldn't get enough. This was a great take on an Austen title with a modern twist. You really grow to love and empathize with Ames since this book is through her perspective with an interesting viewpoint of the potential suitors and women in her life. The ending, especially for her mom and sister, left me on a high note and honestly, I need another book(s) to show us where they all are "now" and even from the perspective of Eleanor and her mom.