Meh. This one tried to do too much. Not bad, but could’ve been better.

Thank you Net Galley & to the publisher for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This book was just what I needed to read while I was on vacation hiking in the national parks. I really enjoyed the characters, their backgrounds, and I was rooting for each one of them. The story line kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. I liked the back and forth between the two timelines and was kept guessing who was found on the ledge in the prologue. And not knowing which of the Norwegian characters that the encounter on their trip are dangerous or who to trust kept it interesting as well. I will definitely be picking up more Lucy Clarke books in the future.

Annually, four best friends convene for a joint vacation. This time, Liz, feeling adrift in life, opts for a grand adventure to rekindle their spirits. They embark on a mountain hike in Norway, fulfilling a pact made by Liz and Joni during their school days. Each friend faces personal battles, and as they mingle with the locals at the lodge before their four-day trek, they soon realize they aren't the only ones who head into the wilderness.
The narrative capitalizes on the fear of isolation and disconnect from civilization. Navigating through uncharted terrain and combating unanticipated weather, they find themselves stalked by someone. Cut off from the world with no means to call for aid, they must depend on each other for survival. It's a compelling read, deserving of a solid 4 Stars.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

Based on the premise, I truly thought that this was going to be something I would enjoy, and at times, something would begin to happen that was on the brink of okay, but this book, specifically the pacing and the constant rambling, needed a good edit. There was just SO MUCH useless information. And it wasn't to drag out scenes and add tension; instead it was absolutely boring and pointless description just to add unneeded words and page count. It took entirely too long for the women to go on the hike in the first place, and once there, it was just constant bickering and fighting with nothing to add a mystery or thrilling element. Just ladies with blisters finding anything and everything to argue about.

Unfortunately not a single character was likable or had any redeemable factors. I feel like sometimes awful characters can still add so much to the story, or make you root for one outcome or another, but not in this case. I truly didn't care who lived or died, who took drugs, who slept with who, who got lost, and whatever else petty drama or encounter they could dig up along the way. I just wanted it to end.

Super twisty, suspensful, page turner! I didn’t see the end coming, but it was so satisfyingly full circle.

A fairly fast paced read about four women who trek out into the wilderness to climb a mountain in Norway - what could go wrong?

The plot definitely kept me reading and the short chapters were a bonus too!

Enjoyed how everything wrapped up in the end.

This is an exciting, nerve wracking story that will keep readers on edge. It's well crafted, exploring the bonds of friendship and family alongside a page-turning, tense story.

The Hike
By Lucy Clarke
Review and Rating 4 ⭐️

The Hike is a hidden gem. This was my first Lucy Clarke novel and I did not know what to expect. This ended up being one of my favorite reads of the year so far!
Four childhood friends, Liz, Joni, Helena, and Maggie, spend a vacation together every year. It usually involves a beach or a lovely resort somewhere. But this year, Liz plans an adventure, hiking and camping in the beautiful mountains of Norway. As the four women hike further from civilization, it becomes clear they all have secrets and baggage they are escaping from back home.
Meanwhile, two female hikers see a body at the bottom of a ravine. Unable to help her, they hurry back to the lodge at the base camp to report what they have found.
The friends soon find that they are not the only ones on the mountain, and the others may have sinister intentions. Unless they rely on each other they may not make it back alive.
I was hooked on this story from the beginning. It is told with dual timelines and alternating POVs which I think kept it moving right along. I also loved the deeply atmospheric setting. Hiking on a mountain in Norway is not on my bucket list but I loved every minute reading about it! I also felt there was good character development, and lots of interpersonal drama that helped the story feel more real. I am giving this diamond in the rough a solid 4 ⭐️!

I want to thank #Netgalley and Penguin Group Putnam for the ARC. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Book Rating Key
⭐️ Not Recommended
⭐️⭐️ Readable Book
⭐️⭐️⭐️ Good Book
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Excellent Book
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Near Perfect Book
***Note*** I seldom give ⭐️or ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ratings. If I feel a book is a ⭐️sometimes I just prefer to not finish reading it and not rate it. As for 5 ⭐️books, I think of those as books I would want to take with me to a deserted island 🏝️, and this means I read a whole lot of ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star books. Happy Reading!

i really enjoyed the character dynamics in this book. learning about the relationships between each of the four women and as an entire entity was really interesting and gave so much life to the story. the concept of the hike was well done and i liked the details about the wildlife as they traveled. at times the plot felt a little bit weak and as though i was forcing myself to get through it, but then it would pick back up again and i’d be fascinated. i think one of the best things about the hike is that you have about 100% of the mystery aspect figured out by the last 20 pages, and then the last few produce a final plot twist that is really quite unexpected. this is a good mystery book that falls in line with the vibes of lucy foley’s books.

3.5 stars.

"The Hike" by Lucy Clarke is a visceral mystery thriller that will leave you apprehensive about ever traveling to Norway, that's for sure! What you expect at the start of this book is not where the book is going. Twists and turns abound, and the characters you thought were reliable aren't and vice versa. Short chapters unfurl the story of a group of friends on vacation hiking in Norway. When they get stick amongst the elements, storms, rocks, getting lost, lack of supplies, and unsafe ground are the least of their worries as they feel as though they are being watched... and for glkd reason. Each character gets their own alternating point of view as their lives and personalities are unraveled over time, the dynamics of their friendships divulged slowly as secrets, interpersonal struggles, new happenings, and old resentments are exposed. I found this to be a fine book. Some parts are predictable. Apart from some slowness in the beginning of the book, this is a fast-paced, short-ish read that you will likely not be able to put down. Where Clarke succeeds is here fantastic visualization of the trails and mountains where these friends find themselves. She really paints a terrific picture of the terrain, the terror of the weather, the menace of the hike, the scariness of the things (and people!) lurking. A solid read.

Thank you to NetGalley, Lucy Clarke, PENGUIN GROUP Putnam, and G.P. Putnam's Sons for the complimentary ARC of this book. All opinions are my own. I was not compensated for this review.

This was neither a good or a bad book. I enjoyed the book mostly, but it felt like something was missing. I don't know if it was that I figured out who done it early in the book or what. But over all I liked it and would read another book by this author in the future.

It took me a bit to get into the story. Maybe because I'm not super big on hiking. You might catch me on an early morning walk/jog with my pup once in a while, but out in the wilderness, no thanks. Anyway, I loved that it was written with each of their POV's. It's full of friendship drama and some old secrets, as expected. After it picks up the pace there's some tension and action that kept me engaged. Overall, decent.

Overall this story was well-plotted and action packed. I picked it up because I was looking for something different and it fit that bill well compared to my typical TBR list. However, it had a pretty slow start to the point I almost DNF the book. I’m glad I pushed through because it definitely picked up and was overall enjoyable.

This is a decent travel-based thriller novel. In my opinion, the writing was very well done and the multiple perspectives were executed well. The drama between the main characters felt believable for the most part, but some of the external conflict seemed a bit far-fetched. Although I found the ending to be underwhelming, I still think it was a decent thriller overall.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Maggie, Liz, Helena & Joni are old friends and each year one of them takes a turn to choose what kind of vacation they take. Liz chooses hiking in Norway, a bit different from previous years. This also happens to be where a woman went missing. The friends must rely on each other, but can they trust each other? Great fun reading this fast paced thriller! The setting is so vivid you feel like you’re there!0

✨BOOK REVIEW✨

Swipe for GoodReads synopsis.

I was really looking forward to this book, I mean murder while on a hike where no one can hear you scream??? Pulled me right in! Unfortunately, I felt like parts of the story were predictable and the conclusion was underwhelming. However, if you’re looking for a quick read with short chapters, alternate POVs, and a good palette cleanser, then I recommend this book!

Thank you NetGalley and Putnam Books for the free eARC in exchange for an honest review. OUT NOW.

I couldn’t put this book down!
Four best friends meet every year for a week long getaway. Usually it involves a tropical sunny beach, but this year they do something different. They embark on a hike up a mountain in Norway and some are more excited than others.
We know not everyone returns from the mountain alive! But what exactly happens on the trail?
Super fast read with some fantastic twists!
Looking forward to reading more by this author.

In "The Hike," Liz seeks solace from the burdens of her marriage and career by planning a wilderness adventure with her closest friends. Eager for a reset, they embark on a four-night camping trip in the breathtaking mountains of Norway. The idyllic setting promises serenity and renewal as they traverse trails adorned with lush valleys, towering peaks, and shimmering lakes.

However, as they venture deeper into the remote wilderness, the group realizes they are not alone. Encountering other individuals seeking refuge in the mountains, they soon uncover hidden secrets that cast a shadow over their journey. With each passing moment, the tranquil landscape reveals a darker side, threatening their safety and testing their resilience.

Isolated from civilization and devoid of cell coverage, Liz and her friends find themselves confronting not only the challenges of the wilderness but also the haunting truths lurking within. As they navigate treacherous terrain and face unexpected dangers, they must rely on each other's strength and determination to ensure their survival.

"The Hike " is a gripping tale of adventure and suspense, where the beauty of nature conceals the perils that lie beneath. As Liz and her companions confront the unknown, they must confront their deepest fears and fight to overcome the obstacles that stand in their way. In this unforgiving landscape, their journey becomes a test of courage, friendship, and the will to persevere against all odds.

this thriller was a combo of unrealistic and predictable for me honestly! i enjoyed the friend group and was on the edge of my seat reading about their past drama, but this whole hike was unrealistic to me from the start. once i got past that, i found the mystery aspect to be predictable! overall didn’t hate it but was kinda bleh for me.

A group of friends take a trip, but there are underlying cracks in the foundation of their relationships. On this trip things keep going wrong, a random rockslide, someone watching from the woods, and getting separated. The story is told from duel timelines and multiple POV’s. It was a good and quick read, with a great twist.