Cover Image: The Trap

The Trap

Thank you so much Netgalley, Blackstone Publishing, & Catherine Ryan Howard for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. ๐Ÿ–คโ
โ
I received this one on my kindle 7/31/23 & I was SO excited but unfortunately I just couldn't get into it. โ
I am so bummed to have to give it 3 stars. ๐Ÿ˜”โ
โ
It felt anti-climactic & a bit confusing. When it was over, I was shocked because I couldn't believe that it just ended without much being resolved in my opinion. โ
โ
I love this author so it pains me to say this-- but this book was a definite letdown for me. โ
โ
After the author's note, I understand where she was going with it-- but it just didn't work for me. I am someone that needs to know all the things when I book is over & this one just didn't satisfy that.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my copy of this book!

A couple years ago I read (and disliked) 56 Days by this author. I figured Iโ€™d give her another go with The Trap but unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that she is not the author for me.

This story follows multiple points of view including a woman who believes her sister was one of a handful of women abducted and murdered, members of the Irish police force following these cases, and the apparent abductor/murderer of the missing women.

Overall this story felt sluggish. It never hooked me and I didnโ€™t care about the outcome, nor did I get attached to any of the characters. But I think anyone that is a hardcore true crime fan may find this type of story entertaining and gruesome.

Iโ€™ve seen some mixed reviews on this one, but I honestly thought this was such a solid thriller!

the premise of this story involves a girl named Lucy who has made it her mission to find her missing sister after sheโ€™s been linked with several other missing women in the area. with their captor still at large, Lucy puts her own life in danger to find answersโ€”and more importantly, her sisterโ€”before itโ€™s too late.

while reading through Lucyโ€™s perspective, we also get an alternate perspective from Angela, a civilian who is essentially a paper-pusher in the local Missing Persons Unit. after managing to get herself involved in a lead regarding the local missing women, Angela shadows a notable member of the Irish police force & finds herself in the thick of this mysterious case.

as the events unfold, we also get the perspective of the man at large. to me, this is what gives this book its chilling suspense factor. not only do we get a picture of the pure evil and darkness a seemingly normal person can possessโ€”but all the while, we know that his presence is still looming, and he continues to be a threat.

overall, I thought this was thoroughly entertaining and cleverly written. the climax/ending frustrated me a bit, but I canโ€™t really say why without giving it away ๐Ÿ™ˆ the beginning of the story ends up taking on a whole new meaning once you finish the bookโ€”I actually ended up rereading it to see how the experience changed for me after getting to the end. i would definitely recommend for any suspense lovers who enjoy hearing the bad guyโ€™s perspective, too!

thank you to @netgalley, @blackstonepublishing & @cathryanhoward for my #advancedreaderscopy of this book!

Lucy is desperately trying to find her sister. Sheโ€™s been missing for a year, and her disappearance is tied to several other missing women. Denise is a detective attached to the cases; alongside a civilian worker named Angela, Denise is trying to figure out what happened to these women and if the cases are even connected. Told through multiple points of view, including the presumed guilty party, readers are put on a roller coaster that doesnโ€™t stop. As the mysteries unravel, readers are left questioning everything they thought they knew about the story. The writing and plot devices used by the Catherine Ryan Howard are surprising and satisfying despite Howard not giving the readers all of the answers. This book is a must read for mystery lovers; the twists are infuriatingly amazing.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this title from NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Wow, this was really dark. I was a bit surprised!

Overall, I found it compelling and I felt I needed to keep reading. I thought the jumping in perspective was a little confusing and the end was a little vague.

Thank you Netgalley & Blackstone Publishing for an eARC of The Trap by Catherine Ryan Howard! Howard is one of my favorite authors - I absolutely love everything she writes, so I was thrilled to get my hands on this early copy.

I can see this one having polarizing reviews, because while some may find this a slow burn, it's so expertly written and gives you a true - "wait, what?" moment at the end that I found myself wanting to read the book back from the start knowing what I then knew. For me, that's a sign of a great read!

The book follows a series of unsolved disappearances in Ireland in the 90s, and one woman finding herself risking absolutely everything to catch this killer. A year prior, Lucy's sister, Nicki, went to meet friends at a pub and never came home. Lucy's life has turned into a nightmare, constantly wondering and trying to figure out what happened to her sister - And the other missing women who vanished inexplicably.

I loved the alternating POVs between Lucy and the investigator Angela. It was a great balance between that police/procedural feel and more of a psychological thriller that kept me on edge the entire read!

What a fun thriller! This author never disappoints. The multiple POVs kept this one super interesting and fast paced. I didnโ€™t love the ending which is why itโ€™s not a 5 star, but overall would be a book I recommend to others.

My insanely delayed review of The Trap is not indicative of it's quality. It is, in fact, an incredible thriller. Probably one of my recent favorites.

There are multiple POVs and time-lines, and it took me a bit to get into a few of the perspectives (namely the Missing Persons officers), but ultimately loved the way they all come together with the big reveal at the end. It's absolutely one of my favorite endings of any thriller I've read. I was so blown away, I'm currently reading another book from the author, Catherine Ryan Howard.

I enthusiastically recommend this book, and furthermore this author, as I'm already loving my current read.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the e-ARC I received in exchange for an honest review. I'm sorry it was so late!

Catherine Ryan Howard shows the lengths a woman will go to find her missing sister:

Lucy's sister Nicki left the pub she had been with her friends one night and was never seen again. Nicki is also not the only one who has gone missing, at least 3 women are missing and have been linked together and the agony of not knowing does not just haunt Lucy but the other families as well.It has now been one year and Lucy is trying everything she can in order to find who may have taken her sister. The more risks that Lucy is willing to take put her closer and closer to her own danger.

I slept on this book too long as I find that Howard can be hit or miss for me, but this one was totally a hit and this is no wonder as it hit on some key things that I enjoy in mystery/thriller books; Bad guy perspective, twists and turns along the way, multiple POV, small town fee to it (even though it is Dublin).

What I really enjoy about Ryan Howard books is that we typically get the persepctive of the bad guy. Gives you insight as to why they do what they do. In this one we get a lot of detail from how he did things and how he got so successful in his practice in getting the women but also evading the police. This was my favourite POV in the book as i found it really intriquing and slightly different from when you read the killer's POV. We do get Lucy's and a civilian worker, Angela's POV as well (in order to get the police information perspective) and while those other two POV are interesting, i think the the killer POV ios the most interesting.
There are quite a few major twists throughout the book and while the majority of them come in latter half of the book the build up was well done. It was awesome not to be able to predict where Howard was going to take things in this book and I think she shed light on some of what happens in the police department of making things Fit when they need to as well as shining a light on the media as to how when the 17 year old is reporting missing the media is all up in arms but when "older" women in their 20s are reported nothing is really said. I found it extremely impressive that that Howard did not take the easy way out and youโ€™ll either appreciate for what it is or not, but i thought it was not only a bold choice but one that I really liked.

For some reason this book felt a little long, even at just over 350 pages in my kindle. I cant figure out or pinpoint why i felt this, maybe as there are multiple POV and some are go in very different directs but it just felt a bit long to me.

If you have been considering reading this book i would say move it farther up your TBR list. I really enjoyed it and when the twists stop coming they do not stop. I know i'm going to be reading more by Howard.

Enjoy!!!!

Edge-of-your seat thriller. This was my first Catherine Ryan Howard book, but definitely not my last. I found myself annoyed with the main character multiple times for making dangerous decisions, but at the same time totally understanding. A bit twisty, I found it unpredictable, which is the best kind of thriller. Character development was pretty good - unreliable narrator who was not always likeable or even relatable, and a lot of it was pretty far fetched, but it definitely kept my interest!

What's scarier than feeling afraid doing your everyday activities? Leaving a bar and just trying to get home and going missing.... The Trap feels ripped from the headlines and drives fear right into your throat. Read with the lights on!

โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

๐˜ผ๐™ฃ ๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™จ๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ข๐™ฎ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™จ๐™ฅ๐™ž๐™ง๐™š๐™™ ๐™—๐™ฎ ๐™– ๐™จ๐™š๐™ง๐™ž๐™š๐™จ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก-๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ก๐™ซ๐™š๐™™ ๐™™๐™ž๐™จ๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™–๐™ง๐™–๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š๐™จ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™„๐™ง๐™š๐™ก๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™š๐™จ, ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ง๐™š๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ข๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™ง๐™ž๐™จ๐™ ๐™จ ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™˜๐™–๐™ฉ๐™˜๐™ ๐™– ๐™›๐™–๐™˜๐™š๐™ก๐™š๐™จ๐™จ ๐™ ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก๐™š๐™ง.

I went into this book completely blind and Iโ€™m so glad I did. I did this one as a mix between the ebook and audio (primarily audio), and I felt like the story was told in such an interesting way.

The cases of the missing women in this book were chilling to read about and disturbing at times. I enjoyed that the author told the reasoning behind why this book came to be.

The book is told through a few different perspectives and I found the characters to be intriguing in their own way.

However, there was a lot being told throughout the book and I ended up finding myself confused at times. I had to reread a few parts to fully understand what was going on.

This was such a fun read and I found the reveal to be fascinating!! Iโ€™m so glad I picked this book up and canโ€™t wait to read more from this author.

Thank you so much NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for the review e-galley and Libro.fm for the ALC in exchange for my honest review!

Despite being an avid crime fiction reader, I find CRHโ€™s books quite hit and miss, largely because of how convoluted they are. I love a multi-perspective narrative but I found it to be a bit clunkily employed in The Trap and I kept having to check who I was with now which removed me from the story

Catherine Ryan Howard is an auto-read author for me! THE TRAP is about one woman (Lucy)'s journey finding her sister after she disappeared under mysterious circumstances. At the same time, multiple women are being reported missing, finally getting attention of the local police force. The police try to find the apparent serial killer, but Lucy chooses to take matters in her own hands.

THE TRAP is told from multiple POVs, with the serial killer's POV being the most enthralling. This is very slow moving book and can feel a bit slower than you probably would expect. I usually binge read this author's books, but it took me a few days to get through. All in all, THE TRAP was a good thriller and I will definitely be picking up her future reads!

Three women have disappeared into thin air, never to be seen again...Lucy Sullivan is looking for her sister in a very unusual way. She sets a trap for her sister's abductor, walking the dark streets night after night. The first chapter is FIRE! You have so much suspense and confusion- it sets the tone for what is one exciting story! She is reckless, living with her sister's boyfriend and searching for answers!

At the same time Angela, a Gardai staff member for the Missing Person's Unit, has a discovery, which leads to an important clue in the case.
One of the three narrators is also the killer- love to see the perspective of the killer!
They stories intertwine and twist around each other like snakes.
It's such a great thriller, I devoured it!
4 stars.

One of my favorite books so far! Told from multiple viewpoints, including that of the murderer, which was the most fascinating part of the novel. I don't know how I feel about the ending though, felt a bit incomplete and sudden. But overall, I looked forward to reading it every night to get to the end, and sad when it ended, and highly recommend this one.

I thought this thriller was quite clever. It fooled me, and it had been a while since I had been stumped! I will say sometimes it's a bit confusing, especially on audio, so I'd recommend having a physical copy to flip back through. It's certainly unique and entertaining, so I recommend adding it to your TBR. I'm a big fan of this author and can't wait to read what she writes next!

โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

Hmm. I was so excited to read this, considering the synopsis sounded extremely interesting. But in the end the book was just OK. It wasnโ€™t my favorite but I didnโ€™t hate it. Overall: a big meh feeling.

What did I enjoy?
โ€ข dark, entertaining, creepy, and twisty. This book stressed me out at times (in a good way)!
โ€ขunreliable narrators
โ€ข puzzle piece like

What could have been better?
โ€ข I started reading this book as an audio, which was not the best decision. I think the narrators were not as clear and it confused me most of the time.
โ€ข switching to the Kindle, the formatting was odd, but I didnโ€™t know if it came from my Kindle or if thatโ€™s how the book was set up.
โ€ข some random plot holes
โ€ข the ending????

While this one started slow, I absolutely felt the slow burn paid off and I really ended up enjoying it! Thank you so much to Blackstone Publishing for the ARC

I absolutely loved this psychological thriller about three missing women in Dublin. I loved the quick pace and could not read fast enough. I felt like the ending was a little lacking, but I still really enjoyed this twisty thriller.