Cover Image: Raiders of the Lost Heart

Raiders of the Lost Heart

Raiders of the Lost Heart by Jo Segura is a fund adventure rom-com featuring rival archaeologists.

I listened to the audiobook via my local library, which was narrated by Frankie Corzo.

I really felt the chemistry between our leads here. In the first half of the book, the author does a great job ratcheting up the tension and relieving it at just the right time. This book does get a little spicy.

This book has a ton of my favorite tropes. The world needs more adventure romances!

The second half got a bit meandering for me. Some topics, like the hero's privileges due to his race and gender, were kind of brought up but then dropped.

But if you were a fan of The Mummy, Fool's Gold, or Indiana Jones, this might be a fun read for you!

Tropes: enemies to lovers, one bed, FMC in STEM

I tried several times to get into this one, but honestly the writing was cringey. I am huge romance fan and Indiana Jones fan, so I was really looking forward to it. I couldn't get past chapter 4- the characters were cookie cutter and it was just trite.

LOVED THIS ONE! This was such a fun and fast paced story. I couldn't read it fast enough- I was just dying to know what was going to happen next! Cannot wait to see more from Jo.

I hoped to like this a lot more than I did. I cut my teeth on 80s romantic adventure movies. A big part of those stories working is down to the chemistry between the leads and solid action. This was lacking in both departments. And frankly I was not a fan of the MMC’s big ole secret. It was destined to blow up and frankly the FMc was too good for him. I didn’t hate it but I did t love it.

**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

This was so fun!! Corrie is a badass - such an easy heroine to root for, with a relatable and heartbreaking struggle as a woman of color in a field dominated by white men. Her tension with Ford was delicious, and I admired how Segura directly confronted Ford's privilege and forced him to undergo some serious soul searching. This was an adventurous, steamy romp, and I can't wait for the next one.

I really wanted to like this one - the premise is super fun and I love a good enemies to lovers. Unfortunately, this probably should have been a DNF for me. My biggest issue was the lack of chemistry between Ford and Corrie - there were no sparks. They constantly thirsted over each other, but there was only unconvincing physical attraction and nothing more. It honestly got a little tiring to read about them lusting over each other over and over - it was repetitive and tired. Another issue I had with this book was Ford as a whole. I don't believe that Corrie should have forgiven him after the damage he had done to her career. Not only was he actively harmful to her livelihood, he was also an unrepentant jerk with little to no redemption - not a romantic lead I can root for. Altogether, this just didn't work for me, sadly.

Advenutre romcom at its finest! Jo Segura's voice shines in this sexy and funy romp! Corrie and Ford are people I wish I could encounter in real life. I can't wait to read what Segura has in store for us next! She is a staple on every bookshelf!

This is a fun read if you want something quick with a powerful female lead. It has all the heat and comedy you would expect for something Lost City meets Tomb Raider meets The Mummy.

The chemistry wasn't really there for me right away and I found Ford's attraction not super believable until later in the story, but I liked how stodgy and uncomfortable he was. It made him feel real to me when I couldn't connect emotionally.

I thought Segura had some great dialogue and I would absolutely read more by this author.

Thank you to Berkley for this arc! All thoughts are my own.

Raiders of the Lost Heart centers around rival archaeologists Corrie and Ford as they team up on an Aztec expedition. Both have reasons to be on this dig: Corrie’s life work centers around the subject of this dig and Ford needs the money from the sponsor to help his family.

I’ll be honest, I really struggled with this book. I had a really hard time connecting with Corrie and Ford as they both came off as super immature. The enemies-to-lovers that was promised ended very quickly and I honestly wouldn’t even call them enemies but rather jilted past crushes. I’m sorry but if you’re in your 30s and you’re still hung up on someone from when you were 22, that’s not romantic, wrong place wrong time vibes. You need therapy if that is the case.

I’m not into Indiana Jones/adventure movies so I also think that also didn’t help me with this book and I found myself skimming quite a bit of it just to get to the end. I’ve seen other people really enjoy this, so maybe this just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Cute as hell, spicy, fun, and adventurous! If you’re a fan of Indiana Jones and The Mummy, you’ll absolutely love this one! The setting was so lush, the characters well developed, and everything about this was just so. MUCH. FUN. Highly recommend!

Rival archaeologists must team up on a secret Aztec expedition, or it could leave their careers—and hearts—in ruins.

Ahh...an enemy to lovers/second chance romance. With a little adventure on the side. Raiders of the Lost Heart gave off Raiders of the Lost Ark/Romancing the Stone vibe but not as much action if that makes sense! I thought there would be many more Lora Croft, trap doors and mummies! Regardless, I enjoyed the two main characters, Corrie and Ford, and their chemistry! And a bit of SPICE too! This was a fun, quick read for me.

4.5

I looooved that the MCs in this one weren't in their 20s. And that the FMC puts her career first. As someone who recently turned 30 this one resonated a lot more with me. I also enjoyed the adventure aspect- it did have a <i>Tomb Raider</i> and <i>Indiana Jones</i> vibe and kept me on my toes.

Ooooh this stole my heart! Corrie is such a bad ass and I wanna be her when I grow up. As someone whose dream job as a little kid was an archaeologist, I lived vicariously through Corrie and her crew’s adventures. The romance between her and Ford was an added bonus! It read like a movie on the page. Id love to see an adaptation of this!

I loved this book! A steamy enemies to lovers romance mixed with a dash of mystery and adventure? How could I get any better? I loved Corrie as the strong female lead and how she didn’t back down to Ford. Such a fun, light, read! Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC!

I was looking forward to this book so much and unfortunately it did fall a little bit short for me. The things I loved were the fun setting of the archeology dig, the adventures of the mc, the steamy scenes, and the grumpy sunshine. The things I didn't like were the cancer of a parent, the love interest stealing multiple opportunities from the main character, the sexism towards the main character, the love interest having a ten year relationship with a woman just because she kissed him, the love interest having no choice but to go against his own ethics and morals for money and then not even needing the money, the lack of actual adventures on page, There were a lot of choices made that really brought down what sounded like a fun premise. I do very much want more books with this type of set up, just ones that hopefully deliver a little more on the plot and a couple that I can actually root for.

Raiders of the Lost Heart is a fun romance with interesting characters and a unique setting. It's a nice debut novel.

I loved that Corrie was a strong female character who was smart and bold. It was nice seeing her not only talk about her love of archeology, but in action/on the job at the worksite. Ford was also a likeable character who has complicated feelings about family, relationships, and even himself. He grows a lot as the story progresses, but isn't as bad of a guy as we initially think.

The writing was engaging and easy to read. Where I struggled was with the pacing of the story. Parts in the middle felt slow and dragged things down a bit. I did still really enjoy the story overall, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Jo Segura writes next.

Rivals-to-lovers romance with adventure and mystery. Love that both MCs are archeologists. They are at least mid-30s, but exact age unclear, so I didn't use the romance-seasoned-MCs tag.

Loved this action adventure meets romance! Reminded me a lot of Romancing the Stone, one of my favorite classic movies.

I was excited when I heard Raiders of the Lost Heart would be an adventure romance inspired by movies such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Romancing the Stone, and The Mummy, because I grew up loving those movies! I did like the adventure parts of the story, but it took a serious backseat to the romance.

I did root for Corrie and Ford to sort their past out and get their HEA, but I felt their romance was based more on their physical attributes more than anything else. It seemed even in the serious scenes like when Corrie thought Ford was off to steal the artifacts from under her and she went to confront him, she’s still ruminating on his sexy body and their encounters more than focused on him potentially betraying her. Kind of undermined her purported determination to once and for all find evidence of Chimalli, a legendary Aztec warrior. Also, the mention of bringing a vibrator to the middle of the jungle, on this dig, just sounded unrealistic and ridiculous. I enjoy a spicy scene here and there but when it overwhelms the plot I just start checking out and skimming those scenes.

Still, I did like archeological parts and the ending, as it finally focused in on their hunt for the legendary Chimalli and got exciting as they battled nefarious individuals over their discoveries.

I feel like this book was a solid debut, but for me personally, there were things I liked and things I didn't like.

The things that I enjoyed were the Indiana Jones vibes, the steamy scenes between our two leads and the actual exploring and searching ruins. While I know the archaeology part of the book probably isn't realistic, it felt real enough for me to get into it.

The thing I unfortunately didn't enjoy was the ending itself. The almost fade-to-black ending and then the resulting epilogue were a disappointment for me and felt more like a setup for the next book than actually fleshing out the ending. I also didn't like some of the wording, like how they used corrito borrito to explain that her laugh sounded like a donkey, as well as they constantly used full names, instead of just their first name. I get that you're a doctor, you don't have to remind me every five pages.