Yes, Let's

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Beautiful illustrated book about a family outing. Not only does it exemplify family togetherness, but also the important of being one with nature and allowing our children to explore the world we live in.
The illustrations are bold and full of fun details for older readers to discover, however I'm afraid because the story is a bit lengthy and the pages all look very similar, it won't hold the attention of early readers.
Yes, Let's by Galen Goodwin Longstreth is a story about a family day in the woods, from sun-up to sun-down. The rhyming text takes the reader through waking up, packing gear, riding there, hiking, playing, swimming, eating, and eventually sleepily returning home. Every sentence begins with "Let's," inviting the reader to join in the fun. The understated verse conjures up visual images.  The illustrator shows a family that mostly enjoys each other, at least most of the time. There is lot's of humor in the illustrations, as well as details hinting at the personalities of each family member.

I received this ARC from Tanglewood Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
When I saw that Maris Wicks was the illustrator of this work, I just knew that it was going to be a gem!! The day starts off bright and early as this family of 6 + 1 dog is eager to get their day started as they prepare lunch and head out into the family station wagon for a day long adventure by the woods and river.
It was wonderful to see a book with such a strong family unit at its core.
The details is what truly made me love this book even more! I enjoyed how at first the children had cameras and we're clicking away throughout the day, documenting the wonderful adventures and at the end when the kids are asleep in the car it's dad's turn around to snap some picture of his sleeping children.
I hope that this book reaches many families and inspires them to spend time outdoors (swimming, hiking, having a picnic, etc.) the bottoms line is building memories!!
This is the first time I've seen a children's book that touts the value of family time spent outdoors, and it's absolutely lovely! It shows children of all ages and realistically depicts what it'd be like for a family of six to have an adventure. I'll definitely be recommending this to my friends and family!