Cover Image: The Last Love Note

The Last Love Note

This novel set in Australia is about a young widow and mom named Kate, whose husband died two years before, though with flashbacks to the time before and just after his death as well. The book follows her through her journey of grief, as she learns to live and love again - part contemporary women’s fiction and part very slow burn romance.

I loved this book, a really sweet story that made me both laugh and cry. Vibe-wise, think a cross between Katherine Center and Jojo Moyes. And definitely read the author’s note after, which makes the book even more poignant knowing that the author wrote it while processing her own grief at the loss of her husband. I look forward to seeing whatever Emma Grey writes next!

The Last Love Note by Emma Grey really surprised me. I gotta be honest, it took me a few chapters to really get into this one. The beginning was a little chaotic, but once we got over all of the excitement and craziness, I was glad that I stuck with it. I was able to fully settle in, and enjoy this beautiful story about moving forward after a major loss, and learning to love again.

While reading this novel, there wasn’t a doubt in my mind that the author experienced loss, grief, and lost a spouse. The writing was incredibly heartfelt and sincere. You could tell that bits and pieces of her were entwined into the main character, Kate. Everything felt so realistic. At times, it read like a memoir.

Based on the subject matter, of course there’s a lot of sadness in this novel. But don’t let that stop you from picking this one up. Kate’s journey is full of hope, love, and laughter. She’s an admirable character, and I felt lucky to witness her growth in these pages. 4/5 stars for The Last Love Note!

What is the book about?
After the death of her husband, 38 year old Kate finds herself alone and doing her best to raise their three year old son and maintain her sanity as well as her job. Little by little, Kate begins to reclaim the woman she once was, and also finds a new version of herself.

What did I think of the book?
I never really thought about grief humor as a genre, but this proves not only does it exist, but definitely worth looking into. It gave me Steel Magnolia vibes, in that I was often laughing through tears.

The author beautifully conveys the experience of grief into words.
When Kate oversleeps and almost misses a work-related flight, she finds herself on the back of her new neighbor’s motorcycle, racing to the airport.
“On the back of it for the very first time since the night Cam died, there’d been a sliver of time free from obsessing over the sheer awfulness of it all. Obsessing over Cam. And how much I miss and adore him and can barely gasp for air sometimes in his absence. What a precious escape this ride was.” Absolutely brilliant!

I’ve seen a lot of great reviews and thought the premise sounded promising. Unfortunately, the execution just didn’t work for me and I found that any time I set it down, I didn’t want to pick it back up. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the free book to review.

This book was so emotional!

I’ve dealt with grandparents diagnosed with Alzheimer’s but never early on set as young as Cam in this novel. The grief this novel encompasses is profound. There is a lot of it. But I enjoyed the story and the character arc it gave. I did feel like the ending/falling action was a bit rushed, but I absolutely loved the Epilogue. This book felt very Hallmark/romance movieesk to me.

Emma Grey's THE LAST LOVE NOTE was that engaging, fully immersive plunge into another person's life that entertains, informs, and moves me to consider my own life when I finally emerge. Protagonist Kate is 38, reeling from the untimely death of her beloved Cam, still surrounded by the notes and vivid presence of a man and a life they created together and struggling to make sense of a world without him while raising their young son. Badgered by well-meaning mother and good friends, Kate is finally challenged with facing her grief when she's stranded on an island with her boss and there is nothing for her to do but go through the notes and memories and find a way through to the rest of her life. Kate is fantastically well-wrought, the story well-paced, the dialogue and notes remarkably done. A truly wonderful book! I received a copy of this book and these thoughts are my own, unbiased opinions.

You know when you are just in the mood to have not just a little cry but a big cry? If that is the mood you have found yourself in then this is the book for you. It is absolutely beautifully written. Your heart breaks for the main character as you navigate her grief and loss with her. Highly recommend, just make sure the tissues are nearby.

This book had me smiling from page 5, then tearing up a few pages later. That continued as we went from past to present. This was a sweet, heart breaking story that I devoured. I also appreciated the pop culture references that made even some of the grief pieces relatable.

Thank you to Zibby Books and NetGalley for this ARC.

Spoiler: While a tad predictable, I love a good HEA. I appreciate the realness, the rawness of the emotional rollercoaster, and the goal of putting yourself first.

Don't be fooled by this colorful, beachy cover. You're going to want to have your tissues ready when you read 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗟𝗔𝗦𝗧 𝗟𝗢𝗩𝗘 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘.

I love a book that makes you feel all the things and this is one of those books. I laughed and cried along with Kate, a young, widowed mother trying to rebuild her life while mourning her husband. Emma Grey captures this in a way only someone who's experienced such a loss herself could (don't miss the author's note). The reader is on the emotional rollercoaster right along with Kate, finding joy in small moments while being shattered by others as she figures out how to create a life so different from the one she imagined, how to balance preserving memories with moving on and how to allow herself to be happy after experiencing such tragedy. But I promise this book isn't a downer. With a cast of wonderful side characters, there are so many funny moments, but what struck me the most is how real it all feels. The grief and guilt are palpable but so are resilience and hope.

The Last Love Note is considered a rom com, but that pigeonhole is not a good fit for me. This novel is about losing. Losing love, jobs, babies. Sounds depressing right, but the novel is about so much more. The setting is Australia, so the places were unfamiliar, but Emma Grey’s sense of place takes over! At the novel’s core is the journey of a widow through grief, the understanding and acceptance of the self-sacrificing actions of others, and the mosaic of the human heart. There are secrets, low points and turning points-all revealed through love notes. Readers will long remember the overall theme that ‘love outlives death.’ This novel is humor and scaffolded grief shrouded in wisdom.

This book explored the topic of love after an early widowhood. I really appreciated the depth and breadth the author brought to the experience, but it moved way too slowly for me. I felt the timeline for the story itself was fine, but the author and editors could have cut about 70 pages.

Kate and Cam are the perfect couple. They are madly in love both with one another and their little boy Charlie. But after a car accident, the doctors note something that Kate has been noticing recently, too - Cam is having trouble processing and understanding language. And that’s when their entire world flips upside down. Kate loses Cam and has to navigate this new life as a widow at only 38. Her best friend Grace, and her boss Hugh, have been nonstop by her side, picking her up when she falls, helping her to hold her life together. And now when Kate and Hugh become stranded together, Kate gets the opportunity to learn more about Hugh and why he’s really been there for her.

This book will definitely be in my top of the year. I felt everything in these pages - I felt joy, and heartbreak, and a swell of love. I cried, and I smiled, and I was so devastated that I had to put the book down and walk away. The way that the author explained grief and how it felt to watch Cam diminish in front of Kate’s eyes, you knew that she had experienced something similar.

It reminded me of how I felt while reading Someday Maybe by Onyi Nwabineli - like I was being punched in the gut over and over again. But that also, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. This book both looks and sounds like it’ll be a romance. And it is absolutely not that - or, at least not in the typical sense. This book is a love story - a love story between Kate and Cam, a potential love story between Kate and Hugh, but really a love story about what it means to find yourself again after unimaginable loss.

My heart broke for Kate over and over and over again. I felt the pain that she felt as she had to say goodbye to the person she never expected to lose.

My one tiny quibble is that I thought the end wrapped up too simply, but that didn’t stop me from loving this entire book, even through the tears streaming down my face, and giving it five stars.

I chose this book based on the brief description. I am so glad I did. The paragraph completely undersold it. It was so much. Yes, a romcom, but a beautifully emotional story of grief, loss, love, acceptance, and learning how to move forward from the life you planned on. The evolution of Kate from an overwhelmed, heartbroken, struggling single mom who felt like she was failing at everything to finding herself again was a great read. That she never lost her sense of humor was amazing and so important. I really enjoyed every moment of this story. It was my first book by this author, but will most certainly not be my last.

Kate's husband died two years ago. She's raising her young son alone, working, and trying to ignore everyone telling her it's time to move on...and fix her up with her hot neighbor. When a chance flight problem leaves her stranded for a week, will she use the time to process her grief?

This book was beautiful, heartbreaking, and hopeful. You can tell the author has dealt with her grief. I highly recommend it.

The Last Love Note was my first read by author Emma Grey.

Kate is a 40 year old, widowed, single mom. She lost her husband at the age 0f 38 due to early onset Alzheimer's. She is just trying to keep her head above water and to take care of herself and her child. I found this book to be a surprisingly accurate depiction of grief. Once I read the author's biography, I learned that she was widowed at a young age, which completely explains the accurate depiction. Grief can be all encompassing and so hard to overcome.

This was a quick and easy read. I think I set my expectations to high for this book going in, based on some reviews I had seen that raved about this book. Overall, I found this to be an accurate fictional depiction of a woman who has been widowed, learning to live again.

Emma Grey's The Last Love Note is a wonderfully welcome romance story that's more than a romance story, which is why I liked it so much. Hopeful grief, the main character is processing the loss of her husband and yet finding that life, and joy, must move on. How they move on and how she gets there is a lovely character driven story with self growth, some humor and charm, and indeed hope for what's next.
Definitely a great read for someone looking for that blend of romance with strong character growth, a good book for holiday travel, a book that will help you manage time sitting in an airport or on a plane or a book to escape to when you need a break from all the holiday togetherness.

Ok so I’m not a huge romance reader. Esp with the feeling that so many of them these days are contemporary romance with a side of smut. Listen, nothing wrong with that but for me, I need a depth of character and emotional connections for me to love it.

And this had both.

This was the Quiet love story that felt relatable and gentle. The romance that feels like ‘home’.

The best friends turn lovers is my favourite trope and this one has the added bonus of a second chance at love that finds you hopeful.

Ps. The book centres around grief and healing over a loss but that’s not the core of the novel. The novel is about second chances and a gentle love.

This was my first book to read by this author but it won't be my last! This was a beautifully written novel that evokes so many emotions. Don't miss out on this one!

Kate is a mess. A full blown, falling apart mess. After the loss of her husband to early onset Alzheimers, Kate isn’t sure how to go on. Luckily her boss Hugh has been a fantastic support during every step of her grief. He won’t ever tell her about his love life, but he is there for all the important moments in her life. When flight issues leave them stranded, the two spend the weekend getting even closer.

Whew, this book is technically considered a romance, but damn if it isn’t really about grief. I will say my first thoughts were that it was kind of strange how quickly her boss jumped into being her savior. From the minute he hired her, he was allowing her time off and super accommodating to her life situations. While that was lovely, and you would hope that anyone would react that way to what Kate had going on, I have never known a single boss that would be that understanding to a brand new hire. Besides that though, I really loved this book. I enjoyed the back and forth between before Cam passed and after, even if it did break my heart while reading. This book will hit you in all the feels.

I honestly don’t think there are words to do this book justice. It was an emotional nightmare - the story of a young widow, young mother, and the horrific end of her husband’s life. But it is also about love. Unconditional love. Love of friends. Love for family. Love of coworkers. Love of a marriage that ended too soon. It’s about growth, especially after experiencing very dark and difficult days. It’s about finding yourself as a parent and a spouse. Chasing dreams, as scary as that can be. The characters were incredible. The dynamics and interactions were realistic and incredibly well done. I cried through this entire book, yet couldn’t stop reading it. Just a beautifully written, heartbreaking story about love, support and grief.

Thank you NetGalley for my advanced reader copy.