Cover Image: What Wild Women Do

What Wild Women Do

Karma Brown is an author that grabs you by the hand and takes you on an amazing journey. What Wild Women Do is another one of those journeys. First you are introduced to Rowan, a modern day screen writer, who is traveling to the Adirondacks with her fiancée' Seth. When they arrive, they find themselves residing in a cabin in the middle of the no where. This vacation is supposed to be a restful retreat for her and Seth to help them reconnect and to help her find inspiration for her screenwriting. As she gets starts exploring what she finds does even more.

Seth is also supposed to be using this retreat to work on his creative writing but instead seems to be working on his creative YouTubing. Rowan decides to take a hike by herself and stumbles upon an abandon cabin. Intrigued, she goes inside and finds two things that start her on a life changing journey: an old handbook from 1975 for Camp Callaway's Wild Women, and a mysterious note tucked in a Nestle's Quick container. This is where Eddie Callaway is introduced.

Eddie is such a fantastic character. She is a 1970s divorced socialite turned feminist who takes over her family's camp and opened The Wild Women of Camp Callaway. Her camp is a free retreat and refuge for women in need of compassion and empowerment. Eddie introduces the women to the power of nature and encourages them to use it and not to be cage into the expectations of society. She keeps a small staff of only her most trusted friends and isn't afraid to defend herself from other camp owners around her. The more Rowan learns about Eddie the most she falls in love with her character and becomes desperate to find out exactly what happened to her. So did I.

There are so many good quotes through out this book most notably within the Camp Callaway handbook. Karma Brown has such a way with words and here I am trying to write this review and failing to find the right words. While I was reading, I could see the setting of the cabins and the nature surrounding them. There were times I felt like I was right there taking a deep breath of Adirondack air. So many emotions are stirred up while reading this book all of which are inspiring and empowering. I know I felt all of them and I believe that is also what Rowan felt as she was delving into the history of Eddie and Camp Calloway.

Eddie's words and the way she lived her life inspire Rowan to take a very close look at hers. Her new friend Jess and her partner Aidan also give her some inspiration for the type of relationship that is out there. I loved the character growth in Rowan and the way she finally stands up against people who do not have her best interests at heart. The mystery aspect of what actually happened to Eddie kept the both of us on our toes. I really wanted to see how everything was connected and it was laid out even better than I expected.

What Wild Women Do is a book I can see myself coming back to time and time again. It is just so beautifully written and the two points of views/timelines run seamlessly together. It also made me want to befriend a crow like both Eddie and Rowan do who will bring me special treasures if I leave some peanuts for it. I wanted to befriend each of the ladies as well. Their characterization is so well done. Major kudos to Karma Brown for continuing to keep me falling in love with her books. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

I had been waiting for quite some time for Karma Brown to publish a new novel under her own name again and What Wild Women Do did not disappoint.

This novel explores the lives of two women from very different time periods and brings them together in a unique setting. I liked this story and getting to know Eddie and Rowan throughout. I never knew what was going to happen from one moment to the next and there were a lot of surprises in store as a result. I also loved the Adirondacks setting and how serene everything felt in nature.

There was an element of suspense in wanting to find out how Eddie went missing, but I felt like it was anticlimactic when we learned what happened. The situation was tragic, but I was expecting something more from it.

Overall, an interesting novel and a worthwhile read. Well done, Karma!

Thank you Netgalley. I loved this book! I have found another automatic read author. This storyline perfectly blends multiple timeline and POVs perfectly. Great story about women, what we go through and self discovery. I want more!! Highly recommend

This book has everything I want in a book. A great feminist tale, mystery, and self discovery. When is camp taking enrollment? Please sign me up! I've recommended this to so many friends and loved every word.

What Wild Women Do has such a great premise. Rowan, struggling with her screenplay and relationship with her fiancé, takes a trip to the Adirondacks where she discovers the mystery of Eddie Calloway, an heiress who led wild women retreats and disappeared in 1975.

I want to be a wild women after reading this book. I loved the snippets of advice from Eddie's Wild Women Handbook, and the way she encouraged women to stop trying to please others and embrace their own inner beauty. And I loved that Eddie is over 50 and still vibrant and changing the world, a type of character we see too little of in novels.

The print version fell a bit flat for me, as the writing felt very straightforward. I switched to the audio, enhanced by two narrators, and enjoyed that version more. Even so, I still struggled with parts, especially Rowan's fiance. Their relationship never seems healthy, and Rowan overlooks so much (I know, that's part of the journey). But she also demeans his ambitions as something less than her own.

The ending is perfect, though. Especially the way the audio combines the narrators voices in the last chapter. 3.5 stars

Fans of Recipe for a Perfect Wife will enjoy this newest novel by Karma Brown as it follows a similar plot- younger, unmoored woman finds direction from a older, powerful and driven woman through found items that connect their stories and timeline. Very well done and engaging.

Ladies and gentlemen Karma Brown has another riveting book out! What Wild Women Do was amazing, the way Karma writes is sheer perfection and why she is on my must read list! I love the dual timeline. The way both these women’s stories are so beautiful and unique but when they intersect …. Amazing!

Another compelling book from one of my autobuy authors! I have read all of Karma’s books and they are all so different and unique. This is a dual timeline story around two fascinating women. We have a 1970’s feminist and a current day aspiring screenwriter and author. Both stories are interesting on their own and their intersection is what propels the story along. I enjoyed the atmospheric writing. The premise was interesting as were the strong independent women and the mystery element was perfect. Another wonderful book from this author.

WHAT WILD WOMEN DO by Karma Brown is an intriguing novel involving feminist philosophy, a treasure hunt, and two different time periods. One is the post-pandemic present day when screenwriter Rowan and her long-time boyfriend and YouTuber, Seth, decide that their creative efforts will benefit from time in the Adirondacks, closer to nature. The other time period is the mid-70s when socialite Eddie Callaway hosted empowering women’s retreats on a nearby property, sharing insights like Amelia Earhart's: "Use your fear. It can take you to the place where you store your courage." Rowan begins to learn about Eddie (who mysteriously disappeared) and is drawn closer to her insights on the importance of women taking care of themselves. The text effectively combines elements of mystery and a coming-of-age story. The characters are likeable and relatable, and the descriptions of nature are well-written. In fact, Brown says of her novel that it is "a love letter of sorts to my 1970s hippie childhood, and the forests of my youth..." 4.5 stars

This story of two female heroines who lived at different times and how their lives intersect is a magical one. I couldn’t put this book down and I loved both Eddie Callaway and Rowan, our modern day heroine. Rowan, a frustrated screenwriter, who isn’t completely satisfied in her love relationship with her partner, Seth, is in need of discovering a new part of herself that will make her feel alive again. Due to the pandemic and lack of restaurant jobs, creatives Rowan and Seth, an aspiring novelist, are priced out of LA living and into the woods in the Adirondacks to rent a cheap cabin for a temporary landing place while they write. What they discover there will be the story of how a woman can change the world and Rowan will learn what changes she needs to make to fulfill her own destiny. Entertaining, character-driven, and full of the appreciation of nature and what it has to teach us, this is a book for every woman seeking more adventure and agency in her life.

I'm an absolute SUCKER for a romantic/mysterious retelling and I am so thankful to Penguin Random House, PRH Audio, Karma Brown, and Netgalley for granting me advanced access to this behemoth before it came out on October 24, 2023.

Rowan is a struggling screenwriter who no longer seems to be on the same page as her youtuber fiancé. After Rowan publicly announcing to their followers that their videos are staged, they both decide to rent a cabin and take some time to work on their respective creative projects. Instead Rowan gets sucked into the mystery of the nearby camp, where the camp director disappeared in the 70's. The more she learns about the camp and their focus on helping women discovering their wildness, the more she wonders about the direction of her own life and what she really wants. Overall, an interesting dual-timeline story, told partly in the present and partly in the 70's. At times, the past timeline was more compelling than the present, but the book wrapped up both timelines well.

I really loved this book, especially because I found it to have a simple beauty in its pages. It was inspiring without being heavy-handed, and Brown manages to make the characters feel real and present without giving a ton of extraneous detail (which is hard to do)! Loved it and would definitely recommend for a weekend read.

I RAN to check netgalley when I saw that Karma Brown had a new book coming out. I LOVED her last book and she will forever be an autobuy author for me. This was so different from her previous books and I loved it all the same.

Edith and Rowan were so inspiring. The mystery surrounding Edith was compelling. I couldn't imagine it wait to find out exactly how or why she disappeared. Rowan is going through changes and is feeling some discontent with life. When she heard about Ediths story, she wants to find out what happened to her.

WHAT WILD WOMEN DO explores each woman's stories, their dreams, their and their aspirations.

Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for this ARC!

WHAT WILD WOMEN DO is out now!

I enjoyed this author’s last book, Recipe for a Perfect Wife, so was eager to read her new novel. Here is a dual time line story that takes place in both the present day and the 1970s.

Get to know Edith (Eddie) in the past and Rowan in 2021. Each is trying to find their way in life. Eddie faced a horrific loss which led her to upend a socialite life by starting Camp Calloway. Eddie’s s hope was to offer a safe space for women…but what happened to her? Why and how did she disappear? Who was responsible?

In the present, Rowan wants to be a screenwriter but has felt stuck both in her work and relationship. She and her partner have looked for escape in the country but all does not go well between them. One day Rowan learns about Eddie’s camp from a couple she encounters. She then wants to know more about Eddie and her story. What will she discover? How will this impact her work, relationship and life? Read this one to find out.

This title will appeal to those who enjoy novels that illuminate women’s stories. Readers will find that over a period of years what these women want(ed) can have remarkable similarities.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Group-Dutton for this title. All opinions are my own.

I really liked Rowan and woman she was and becomes. I liked the intersection of the timelines.
The writing keeps you wanting more. It's a pretty fast read, a few sections were a little slow, but I kept reading to find out what happens.
A good book for book clubs, with lots to discuss.

Thanks NetGalley for this ARC.

I've actually never read one of Karma Brown's books before, but was familiar with the author based on her bookstagram popularity. The historical sections of this story were compelling to me, but I did get bogged down a little bit when reading the spring/summer 2021 sections that seemed to reference as if the pandemic were over at that point versus still being very much in the throes of it.

A long-time fan of bestselling Canadian Author Karma Brown (favorite author), her latest powerhouse masterpiece novel—WHAT WILD WOMEN DO, is STUNNING and Top Books of 2023 list!

Two women's lives unexpectedly collide at a camp in the Adirondacks in this fascinating dual-timeline novel full of ambition, secrets, betrayal, mystery, intrigue, nature, inspiration, and a journey of self-discovery.

The author is at the top of her game with WHAT WILD WOMEN DO! Her best yet!

"If you want to transform, you can't be tentative."
—Eddie Callaway, Wild Women Handbook (1975)

1975: EDDIE CALLAWAY: A 1970s socialite-turned-feminist divorced with son Theo, who died in an auto accident at age 18, took over her family's camp, changed her name, and opened The Wild Women of Camp Callaway in the Adirondacks—A retreat for women to offer them refuge and compassion for their miraculous unfurling.

She uses her wealth to help empower women, allowing them to come free of charge. The enigmatic Eddie believed that your wilderness is a gift that must remain uncaged.

"Who knows what women can be when they are finally free to become themselves?"
—Eddie Calloway from Camp Callaway's Wild Woman Handbook, 1975

She went from socialite housewife to Camp Callaway's Head Goddess. Her staff consisted of her childhood friend, Sam, Florence, Dot, and her special friend, later a poet, Judith (Jules). Many loved her, and she had enemies with other camp owners. I loved them all!

Then, one morning, after encountering one of her enemies, she goes on a morning hike alone, planning a special treat for her guests and keeping it a secret from the staff; she disappears and is never found. The camp was passed on to her beneficiaries (her special friends from the camp), and it was closed.

ROWAN 2021: Rowan dreamed of becoming a Hollywood screenwriter and her fiancé, Seth, a novelist. However, their part-time jobs ended during the pandemic in LA, and they are now left with little money and nothing to show for their efforts. Seth has turned into a Youtuber, has put aside his novel writing, and is obsessed with subscribers and taking videos.

Rowan decides to book a month at a remote cabin in the Adirondacks to get their creative juices flowing. However, things do not go as expected. Seth is not writing and spends his time editing and taking videos. Rowan soon realizes they are not on the same page, and Seth does not have her best interests at heart.

While on a hike alone, she meets Jess and partner Aidan, ornithologists (loved them), and inquires about the abandoned camp nearby. Intrigued, she wants to know more and finds an old handbook from 1975 from Camp Callaway's Wild Woman. She also finds an old Nestle's Quick container with a note. Who was this mysterious woman, Eddie Calloway?

Rowan becomes obsessed with learning more about Eddie and the camp for women. She spends time at Glenda's Diner, asking the owner about her and researching online as much as possible since there is no internet at the cabin.

She also has a white feathered crow that visits her cabin where she leaves peanuts, and in turn, the crow leaves her treasures related to Eddie and the Camp.

In Rowan's search, she uncovers mysteries of the past that connect her to Eddie in more ways than she expected, which will change her life.

Beautifully told —from alternating two POVs and two timelines: Rowan 2021 from March-December and Eddie 1975. I was hanging on every word to return to Eddie's story and the mystery surrounding her disappearance— how the two stories would connect.

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!

Words cannot adequately express my feelings about this book. From vivid descriptions and settings, it stirs your senses and emotions from nature, nostalgia, empowerment, inspiring, intriguing, mysterious, organic, enigmatic, and bold. The characterization is superb, and the writing is captivating, lyrical, and, at times, ethereal and enchanting.

I loved all the treasures: An old jewelry box, the treasure box mystery, the Nestles Quick chocolate milk containers, the smiley face pins, the birds, crows, trees, herbs and plants, and the wilderness all enhanced the reading experience. I enjoyed the staff and all the women and their experiences.

I particularly loved Eddie's character and was so happy Rowan finally learned what a jerk Seth was. I adored the cast of supporting characters and hated to see the book end. I am still thinking about it. My fifth book by the author, and this was my favorite! Brown dazzles! As a big nature lover, a HIT!

I loved it so much after reading the e-book that I purchased the hardcover and the audiobook narrated by the fabulous Karissa Vacker and Hillary Huber (two favorites) for a spellbinding performance for Rowan and Eddie! I highly recommend the audiobook!!

I cannot recommend WHAT WILD WOMEN DO enough. Compelling, inspiring, and uplifting. A Must-Read! The ending was perfection.

Many thanks to Dutton Books & NetGalley for the privilege of reading an ARC for an honest opinion.

Blog Review posted @
JudithDCollins.com
@JudithDCollins | #JDCMustReadBooks
My Rating: 5 Stars ++
Pub Date: Oct 24, 2023
Oct 2023 Must-Read Books
Oct Newsletter
Top Books of 2023

I really enjoyed this dual timeline mystery that sees a struggling screenwriter Rowan vacationing with her fiancé in an old feminist commune from the 70s and stumbling upon the remains of its missing founder, Eddie Callaway.

The two women main characters stole the show for me in this story about strong, independent women, female friendship and empowerment and finding your voice. Great on audio narrated by Karissa Vacker and Hilary Huber and perfect for fans of authors like Bianca Marais. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early digital copy in exchange for my honest review!

If you want to transform, you can’t be tentative.
- Eddie Callaway, Wild Women Handbook (1975)

WHAT WILD WOMEN DO is the title of a handbook written by Eddie Callaway, a perfect 1950s socialite who completely transforms after a tragedy in her life, using her wealth to open a camp for women in the Adirondacks where she encourages them to unlock their repressed wildness. A copy of the 1970s feminist manifesto is found 30+ years later by Rowan, an aspiring screenwriter vacationing with her fiancé, who becomes obsessed by the mystery of Eddie's disappearance in 1975.

Eddie backstory and the retreats she held were fascinating to me and I wish the whole book had been about her life. Rowan's story, on the other hand, fell a little flat and I didn't understand her relationship with her fiancé at all. Despite that, I loved the way the two timelines converged at the end and the resolution of the mystery surprised me in the best way.

Thanks to Dutton Books for the copy to review.