Cover Image: The Hurricane Wars

The Hurricane Wars

During the conflict of the hurricane wars two rivals, Talasyn & Alaric become betrothed to save both of their people. Talasyn's light magic is the exact opposite of Alaric's shadow magic, but they might have way more in common than either of them thinks. I enjoyed seeing the story from both points of view especially because it gave you insight to why each of them thinks their stance throughout the hurricane wars was the right one. I am excited to continue on the with the series.

When I saw this cover I immediately jumped at the opportunity to read and review this one. I've been in a fantasy loving mood lately and The Hurricane Wars hit the spot. It began a bit slow for me at the start, however once I got into the book and understood their world I ended up enjoying it!

The Hurricane Wars a novel those who love enemies to lovers. I enjoy reading this book due to the world building and was easy to follow. I look forward to the next installment, especially since it left with cliffhanger. I would recommend the novel to young adults.

I won’t lie when I say this book had me giggling and kicking my feet in the air the entire time. The Hurricane Wars was an amazing piece of art, and the elements of fantasy and romance was the definition of perfection.
Our story follows Talasyn, an orphan who's grown up dealing with these wars, and also a Lightweaver. She is able to wield light magic that can penetrate the shadows the Night King sends. It also follows Alaric the emperor’s son and a wielder of shadow magic.They end up fighting and they merge their powers together somehow. The two end up having to form an alliance although both are very wary about it to try to save the world since the discovery of their combined magic is the only thing that can defeat the looming threat.
I loved the magic in this book. Especially when they combined theirs, it was super cool. Now the real winner here though 100% was the tension and attraction between Talasyn and Alaric during the ENTIRE book. I loved it, I was fiending for it at points. I just love these two characters together so much.
I’m super excited for the next book, especially after the ending and I can’t wait. Thank you to Netgalley and Avon and Harper Voyager for the e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly - I just couldn’t get into this. Part of me thinks I will appreciate this at another time and part of me thinks i won’t pick this back up again.

Wow wow wow. The writing in this was phenomenal. I went in blind after falling in love with the cover so I didn’t know what to expect. It took me a second to get used to but I absolutely loved it. I hope there are many more books to come from Guanzon!

Thank you Harper Voyager and Harper Audio for providing me with an ARC and complementary audiobook in exchange for my honest thoughts.

THE HURRICANE WARS is officially my favorite romantasy of 2023! THE HURRICANE WARS incorporates so many story elements that I love and does it so much better compared to other fantasy romances I have read in the past. It has the SLOWEST of slow burns which was agonizing to read but once Talasyn and Alaric finally kissed I was kicking my feet in the air like a little kid.

I appreciate all of the worldbuilding Guanzon did. Sometimes I feel like romantasies put worldbuilding on the backburner but this was not the case. I had a clear sense the world and the politics at play which made me appreciate this story so much more. THE HURRICANE WARS is very, very ReyLo. So if that's your vibe, you're going to love this but I can see why others may not.

The audiobook is narrated by Jeanne Syquia. Her performance was great and easy to listen to. THE HURRICANE WARS is dual-POV so I think this book could have benefitted from dual narration. My enjoyment of the audiobook wasn't impacted by the lack of a male narrator. I just think it could have been a nice touch!

Can't wait for the sequel!
4/5 stars

THE HURRICANE WARS by Thea Guanzon was one of my anticipated reads this year. The first book in this Southeast Asian inspired fantasy trilogy and overall, it was an enjoyable read.

What I liked:

The prologue completely drawn me into the story

The writing and world building was beautifully done and flowed smoothly, the way Thea’s described specific scenes I was completely drawn in each scene and could imagine every detail happening in my mind as I read

I loved the dual POV’s of Talasyn and Alaric. It allowed me to develop a deep understanding of how they truly were, their vulnerabilities, their fears, and what they desired

I’m fascinated by Alaric's relationship with his mother and the trauma he experienced at a young age. I’m intrigued to see what he went through further discussed more in the next book

I was intrigued by the magic system, especially Talasyn burning light abilities and Alaric dark shadow magic. Especially what their magic could do when intertwined together. I’m hoping the magic system is further explained and expanded in the second book.

I liked the important topics Thea brought forward, she didn’t shy away from the detrimental impacts of war and colonization

I liked the pacing of the story it didn’t feel rushed or slow, it felt just right

What I didn’t like:

I found some phrases characters was repetitive

I wasn’t completely captivated by the enemies to lover’s romance between Talasyn and Alaric. Although I found some of their banter entertaining, it took me a while into the story to be fully invested in their growing relationship. I was hoping for more anguish and passion that I enjoy seeing when it comes to enemies to lover’s trope. However, I feel after the last few chapters when I finally saw a glimpse of passion between them, there is potential for their relationship to flourish in the next book.

I’m intrigued to see what’s going to transpire in the next book

What’s inside the book:
Arranged marriage
Banter
Dragons
Light and Dark magical abilities
Political intrigue

I really enjoyed this book. I hope the author continues to write more books in the future. I can't wait to see what this author releases in the future.

I don’t mind that this is originally a fan fiction even though I have no idea what Reylo is. But this book reads really young and the characters lack any kind of personality. The bigger issue is the colonizer aspect of this. Where she can put aside the killing of her people and fall in love with this guy. It just felt gross.

I feel very in between about this book. Overall an ok read, but I wish the pace would have been more consistent.

The Hurricane Wars is about a character who grew up as an orphan in a war-torn nation and a character who grew up as the emperor's heir. You won't be able to put down this story as their worlds collide and they must make difficult choices. The Hurricane Wars is full of magic and power and secrets. This is perfect for fans of enemies-to-lovers romance and high-stakes fantasy.

What I liked: I absolutely loved the magic system/world building in this. The concept of harnessing the elements of storms and using them for battle was so unique, and I loved learning about all of the different aethermancy disciplines. I also appreciated that this was a Filipino inspired fantasy world.

What I didn’t like: I found the romance to be a bit unbelievable, especially given that Alaric played a huge part in the colonization of Talasyn’s people, including the deaths of many of her friends. Despite this, they were almost instantly drawn to one another. While later their romance developed past finding the other person inexplicably magnetic, I personally couldn’t reconcile the “kindness” of Alaric toward Talasyn with his previous actions. I also think that this book could have been so, so much shorter. There were long stretches where it didn’t really feel like anything happened, especially after lots of action at the beginning of the story. Finally, I often found that while the dialogue was very mature, it really contrasted in tone to a lot of the main characters’ behavior. I agree with many other reviewers that they read a lot more like YA in their actions than adult, and this book probably could have been aged down if the adult content were removed.

Overall: While I enjoyed the world building, the romance and pacing made this book difficult for me to finish.

Content warnings: genocide, murder, death of a parent, abusive parent

Intended audience: adult

The love interest of this book is the prince of the opposing army that colonizes the main character's people who will "spend the rest of their lives bound by the chains of shadow and empire". And that's supposed to be enemies to lovers romance fantasy? No thanks, it's hard to think of a less attractive man than someone supporting the murder of defenseless people.

This book had a little bit of a slow start but once it got going I loved it! I love, love the romance and enjoyed the magic in this world. Highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys light fantasy. But also I would be remiss if I did not mention how very much the town name of Plumfrost BOTHERED me. Every time I read it I cringed and it took me out of the book. This was not a fun Christmas story this was a fantasy.

This book had a lot of hype but unfortunately it did not live up to that hype. I really liked the premise but I felt like nothing happened all book. I was looking for enemies to lovers but we never got to the lovers part. It was a lot of words for minimal action. I think we had more questions created with no real answers provided. Definitely disappointed.

this book was enthralling and amazing!! i love the reylo vibes that came out of this. it was all i could want out of a fantasy book. This book gives off extremely high fantasy vibes and I am here for it! The dual POV was really well done in this book, it gave me all of the pinning and angst a person could ask for. i really love world building, lore heavy books and this was one of them, from the battle scenes, to the magic systems, to the romance i was hooked and couldn't put it down. I think Thea is an incredibly talented author and i am looking forward to reading book 2!

The book was beautiful. Loved the world building and unique premise. Although I thought the enemies to lovers trope progressed a little too fast without enough drama and angst, I was rooting for them. Will be reading book 2!

I wanted to like this more but I had a hard time separating the story from the Star Wars inspiration. I liked the characters and dialogue, but some scenes seemed straight from the movie it’s characters are based off of and I struggled with the lack of originality. The setting and twists were good, so I’m eager to see how book two goes.

I’m going to give this book at 3.5 stars. It read kind of like a fanfic, I do understand it was a Reylo fanfic. It is YA I don’t think there is necessarily anything wrong with the story just not my cup of tea.