Cover Image: The Out Side: Trans & Nonbinary Comics

The Out Side: Trans & Nonbinary Comics

a bunch of super cool people explains their experiences with transness and nonbinaryness through comics.

i couldn't stop saying "relatable".

it has...
-29 own voices non fiction tales about gender, identity, self-love and acceptance
-great art

𓍊𓋼𓍊𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊𓋼
representation 𐃘trans, nonbinary
genres 𐃘non fiction
𓍊𓋼𓍊𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊𓋼
giggle, sob, growl or snore?
╰┈➤giggle & sob
adore, love, like or abhor?
╰┈➤adore
light or heavy?
╰┈➤light
heartwarming or heartwrenching?
╰┈➤both
sweet, sour or spicy?
╰┈➤sweet & sour
𖡼𖤣𖥧𖡼𓋼𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊𖡼𖤣𖥧𖡼𓋼𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊𖡼𖤣𖥧𖡼
my warmest thanks to Andrews McMeel Publishing & NetGalley for the copy!!

These comics are so, so cool. I feel like I found an incredible gift in this anthology. It's really great to see a variety of styles, topics, and authors all writing about the Trans* and nonbinary experience. It's not something I can think of one other book doing fully, though there are graphic memoirs about this, so it's such a cool thing to know a book like this exists in the world. I definitely felt seen and am super grateful to have read this.

Absolute banger of a graphic novel with a diversity of voices and identities represented. The art? Fantastic. The flow? Amazing. Very thankful to have read this.

This is a wonderfully crafted book. It is a collections of stories that are told in vivid truth. While each story is only a few pages long, they all manage to capture my hear. The art reflected the storytellers and story expanding on the reader’s experience to go beyond just words. A truly powerful book. A great fit for middle and higher.

It's very hard to rate anthologies but I definitely enjoyed this!! It started out super strong for me and I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences but some art styles or stories in there were not super clear. Worth a read.

A beautiful collection of comics and graphic novels about being trans, non-binary or queer. I loved the variety of artstyles and I discovered some cool new authors/artists with this book!

This was amazing! I really loved all these stories about trans and nonbinary characters. I don't think I've ever read a comic anthology before, and this was kind of awesome! I loved all the different art styles and all the beautiful stories included in this book!

An anthology of comics by writers and artists who are Trans or Nonbinary. All of these are autobiographical, giving the reader a glimpse into either the process in finding true identity, the prejudice experienced, or the joys in finally being able to be oneself. Each story is unique, like gender, because there are many identities and experiences within our ever expanding knowledge of gender. The art is at times whimsical and at times dark, but always the individual artist shines through and finishes their comic having learned either who they are or are continuing to explore themselves in a more positive and life affirming way.

I think the world needs to read more stories by Trans and Nonbinary authors/artists. Reading someone's story allows you to empathize with them and rethink your own innate/learned prejudices. It is this way that we can grow, adapt, and begin to accept that what we might have been taught as children is outdated and hurtful. I want to be open to meeting new people, to accepting truths, to being a more loving human being. I wish this for so many people, that they could stop letting their fear guide their actions, their hate harm others.

This is also a love letter to anyone out there who is just starting to find themselves. Who needs to find courage in others stories and know that there is hope and love out there for them (if they cannot find it in their family or community). These stories help young people to visualize how their lives can be different, better, more accepting, and that not all communities or families will be closed minded or bigoted.

Each comic is so vivid and captivating. Each story different, but all with the underlying message that they just want to live in a world that accepts them for who they are. This world can be so suffocating with its boxes, labels, ideals. Which can be seen in so many aspects of day to day life. It is all just a manor to control, to dictate, to own and conform an individual to fit into a world crafted to contain the individual, to stop higher thought, to push phobia, paranoia, and prejudice.

These stories are about hope, self-love, individualism, expression, pain, and love. Often times it is about finding others who understand and do not judge. This comic book is so important right now, in the face of all the vitriol against the Trans and Nonbinary community. It is a powerful voice being used to combat misunderstanding and misinformation.

Some stories are short, some long, but all of them are moving and I highly recommend reading and then passing this book on.

I had never read a graphic anthology prior to The Out Side. As someone exploring gender for myself and as a parent, this was incredible. It was full of such diverse experiences, story-telling styles, and art styles. I learned, I laughed, and I cried. I thoroughly recommend this for anyone that wants to learn more about others' experiences with gender or who is exploring their own identity. This collection of stories was insightful and affirming.

Thank you netgalley and Andrea McMeel publishing for providing this arc for honest review.

This is a great little collection of graphic stories for those who want to learn more about first-person perspectives from trans and nonbinary folx.
I really liked that this book has a little bio and illustration of the author for each section.
Definitely worth a read, no matter the reason!
I love the cover of this book, and I am glad that I picked it up.

This was a cute little comic for young queer kids. When I was growing up I didn't have many things like this and I would have loved to see it in my school library or public library to read and feel seen. I think that this is a wonderful way for younger people to read and understand a bit more about gender identity and other queer identities. Even adults could benefit from this if they don't understand the seemingly "new phenomena" and need something easy to give them a starting point. I truly hope this book makes it in the hands of young trans kids who need to feel seen and understood

This was such a brilliant graphic novel, a collection of short comics about trans and non-binary experiences.

Each one was only a few pages long that detailed various experiences from having top surgery to families to religion and how it affects each artist in their journeys. It was hard to read sometimes with the topics but does give a very frank but hopeful message.

Loved how it was collection of stories and art styles so you can pick this up, read on or two stories then put it down until you had a moment come back to it!

I first heard about this anthology through Snailords account (he has a story in it!) and I immediately knew I had to read this book.

I loved the simple narration of all the experiences of the contributors. There's something amazing about depictions of self-love and acceptance of one's identity and I'm so glad I get to read this anthology. Not only did I discover different experiences but also some amazing artists I'm going to Google asap!

I love this comic anthology! It was really cool to see so many artists I've followed over the years, and to find many more new artists to follow. I like how each artist had their own approach to writing about their gender - whether that was talking about discovery, transitioning, childhood memories, self-expression/presentation, or glimpses into a day in the life. There's a wide range of diversity, too. As I read each entry, I was delighted to find how much I had in common with various trans and nonbinary creators, and see how our feelings and experiences overlapped. This anthology is empowering and beautiful.

This is a collection of comics from authors/comic artists who are trans, non-binary, gender fluid, or gender nonconforming. It gives a brief introduction to each artists style and a glimpse into each individual’s experience with gender. Whether it’s about family, society, or their own feelings with gender, this collection offers us all education that we may need to be kinder to someone in our lives or ourselves. I am cisgender and my gender influences a lot of how I move in the world. It is always helpful for me to see how people that differ from myself are affected by their gender. Empathy is something that can always be improved upon.

At turns moving and charming, whimsical and heartbreaking. I loved seeing all of these different explorations on trans and nonbinary experiences depicted in so many varied art styles. I loved every page of this book, and did not want it to end.

"The Out Side: Trans & Nonbinary Comics" is a short but cute collection of comics by non-cis people about their queerness. The authors are not only trans, non-binary or a mix of both, but also come from many different cultures all over the world. It doesn't matter who you are, this comic collection gives a voice to all kinds of genderqueer people. I love that every author gets their own little introduction in the book, so that you have a chance to get to know them before getting to know their art. There are definitely a few authors that I am going to check out later on. The collection makes sure that you understand that there isn't one kind of genderqueer person, and they all have a different view on their queerness and a different story to tell. Also, there's a list of resources at the end of the book, for those of us who want to learn more. Definitely recommend to everyone who wants to learn more about what it means to be genderqueer.

Comic anthologies are great to find new-to-you artists you might enjoy reading more from, and this was no different. I already ordered a couple of books from the library! This being a trans and non-binary anthology, it was also a really great collection of different perspectives and different ways to be trans. I loved this because sometimes you really need to be reminded you're not alone.

This was a great own voices look at trans and non-binary. I think it will be relatable for those in the community, and for those who are not I hope it serves as a learning tool to connect to them/grow empathy.

4.5/5 ⭐️

I absolutely loved this anthology. It was so interesting, funny, and real. Truly a great way to read about so many trans and non-binary people's stories. 29 creators shared little pieces of their lives with us, and having that exist all in one graphic novel is truly beautiful.

Some of my personal favorites from the anthology.

• What's the point then?" by Jam Aden (he/they)
• First Times by Min E. Christensen (they/them)
• Slow and Steady by Lake Fama (they/them)
• How I Got These Sweet Nips by Lucas - The Nifty Fox (he/they)
• Guilty by Mel Valentine Vargas (they/them)
• Not a Costume by Al Acevedo (they/them)

My only note would be while I overall really enjoyed the graphic novel I think one thing we should continue to be aware of, even within the queer community, is reaffirming gender stereotypes. There were a few stories in which activities were linked to girl/boy typical stereotypes and not challenged (for example video games=boy). And while the author's experiences, gender identity, and gender expression are completely valid, I also think it's important to not continue to perpetuate those stereotypes people are actively trying to break down.