Cover Image: The Out Side: Trans & Nonbinary Comics

The Out Side: Trans & Nonbinary Comics

THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO: mini-memoirs, diverse art styles, finding self-love & acceptance, queer af, real & heartfelt

CWs: internalized sexism & homophobia, body dysmorphia, mental health, family trauma

>> this anthology is full or heart and bursting with queer identities. it’s about the many ways that humans exist in this world and that even if we are struggling in our own ways, there is so much joy in finding yourself and your community. in claiming your little piece of the world that is uniquely you.

this is a great read and i highly recommend!

An eye-opening comic anthology that sheds light on the queer journeys of trans and nonbinary artists.

As a trans nonbinary lesbian, I found The Outside to be full of stories I felt seen in. I love the diversity of the artists who are featured here, especially because it helps highlight how universal certain struggles are in the trans community. I also appreciate the varying art styles which make each story so unique.

The Out Side is an anthology of comics by and about their trans and nonbinary creators. This collection features 29 comic artists who provide snapshots into their personal gender identity journeys through their individual art styles. I was surprised to see several artists whose work I recognised appear here! Zhen from Hello We Are Rats, Aidyn who wrote Freaking Romance, and Kyla Aiko who assists on one of my favourite Webtoons, Everything is Fine, were all included.

Still, most of the artists were new to me and offered lots of interesting insights I hadn't considered before. I am a cis queer, so I'm personally fascinated by the trans perspective because there are lots of elements to these stories I can relate to and plenty more that I cannot. Well-Hidden by Maddie Jacobus and Genderfluid by Vixtopher were two of the stories that made me think.

If you are a person under the trans umbrella looking for comfort, relatability, or guidance in your journey, this book is great for you. If you are someone, like me, who has never seriously questioned your gender. this book is just as valuable for you. Many of the thoughts and feelings expressed here, I genuinely had never considered before. Heck, the importance of allyship aside, the book is entertaining and exposes you to a host of talented artists.

I really enjoyed this short comic anthology.
I really liked how each creator was introduced before their comic and all of the comics were extremely heartfelt and open, often made me emotional even though they were so short.
We need more stories like these, both for people who haven’t experienced these things to learn and understand better as well as for non-cis readers to be able to see themselves in it and maybe understand themselves better, to know they’re not alone.
A great read, absolutely recommend.

This is a really great anthology, with contributions from author/artist/creators from a variety of backgrounds, with a variety of trans identities, and with a variety of aesthetic styles. Some vignettes stylistically gelled with my own taste better than others, but overall this is a fabulous collection.

This queer comic anthology was an absolute delight! I enjoyed seeing all of the diverse arts styles and appreciated that they included artist bios before each comic. My only critique is that I wish the stories were longer!

I very much enjoyed getting to read so many different coming out stories. I found I related to quite a few of them and gave context to my own journey of figuring out my gender identity. I love that the different authors all came from different walks of life and were of different ethnicities, abilities, and identities.

An incredible collection of art!

The Out Side: Trans & Nonbinary Comics is an anthology of voices from the trans and nonbinary artist community, depicting their own personal journey of self love and acceptance. The book started as a Kickstarter project and quickly resonated with people, raising more than twice the asking capital for producing the book, proving that there is indeed a need for trans and nonbinary recognition in the greater Queerdom.

While The Kao, best known for his artistry in the Magical Boy series, intended the book to be safe for work and school, giving kids and tweens the opportunity to see themselves and their life represented in the comics, I am not sure that all the are actually relatable to kids that age. many of the works take a level of awareness, self-acceptance, resilience, ability to walk away from what is to create what can be, that doesn't often come without maturity, money, and legally being out from under someone else's thumb.

That said, the overall message, which couldn't be more clear, without being lit up in neon letters on Broadway, is one that all people should embrace: be, love and accept yourself for exactly who you are, do no harm to others, and don't judge others when they are being and loving themselves.

If everyone could bring their authentic selves to the table, with love and no judgement, we might all be healthier, happier people.

This is a fantastic collection, and one I think many people, including myself, need. We need varying representation for trans and enby folks in all mediums!

This graphic novel would be a great addition to any library because it tells so many different stories by so many different people. THAT is the draw. There's so many different ways that these stories show how others see the world that so many readers will be able to relate to parts of stories, one, and/or mutliple. This allows for people to see that there isn't one box you have to fit in, but hundreds and all you have to do is find yours. It is a very heartening and enlightening book that I will be recommending to my library. I think this will help anybody at any age just to see how people have figured themselves out.

Thank you NetGalley for the review copy!
Brilliant and diverse collection of comics with much needed rep of trans, non-binary and genderqueer people! I am sure these stories will have a big impact on many lives.
Loved the little notes about each artist.
Blob by Coco Ouwerkerk will stay with me for a while.

“Back when I was growing up, positive trans representation in media simply didn’t exist— there was a complete void in the culture. Any time media featured gender nonconformity it existed as something to either be laughed at, demonized, or often both. The messaging was clear: The discomfort I felt with the gender I was assigned at birth was something to be ashamed of, never vocalized or acted on.”

This was a cute graphic novel anthology of a bunch of trans authors/artists and their life experiences. I think this quote from the beginning really sums it up, everyone has a right to see themselves represented in media as more than just a punchline or a joke.

I got this on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

This was a great collection of comics and I love the variety of styles! It really opened my eyes to a lot of artists and their work online too which was pretty cool. The artists were also hella diverse in every way and I loved that combined with their different views on gender and their journey etc. Really shows how different life and gender can be and how we all experience stuff differently but also somewhat the same.

A great collection that I will think about a lot! (also was hella validating)

I loved everything about this comic anthology! It features trans, non-binary, and other gender non-conforming artists telling readers about their experiences coming to terms with their gender identities and learning to feel comfortable in their own bodies. The mix of art styles is really fun and I found myself wanted to follow the artists and check out their other projects. This is a perfect book for people questioning, people who feel comfortable with their identities, and people who want to better understand other people’s points of view.

These kinds of books and anthologies are so important. Everyone's experience coming into their own is different, even if you identify with the same or a similar label. The different art styles also show just how different everyone's experiences are. I think having these kinds of books for people to read and identify with is so important in our society, as we become more accepting of these other labels.

Wow, I did not expect to love this book so much. This anthology has twenty-nine stories about twenty-nine trans and non-binary creators. Trans men, trans women, and non-binary artists from diverse backgrounds tell us about their relationship with gender and being transgender. And honestly, I was hooked from the beginning.

The stories are sad, beautiful, emotional, reflective, and relatable. I loved the different art styles and the different levels. It is so wonderful to see so many transgender people talking about themselves, and being seen. Because we are here, and we will never disappear, even if some people want us to.

If I have one little complaint, it would have been great to have a little more transfem artist.

So yes, this is an important book, that will make you feel a lot of different emotions, but you’ll love it for it.

This was such an amazing book!! I received a copy from netgalley and started reading it immediately! I normally do not like short stories but this was so good! It was awesome seeing so many different lives and truths all in one place. In today’s society this is such a present book and really needs to be out there! I loved how each author had a different style and story! It filled me with such drive to be me and make sure everyone can too! Simply amazing!

I'm amazed by the sheer range of experiences that are collected in this book. There's people from very different cultural backgrounds, different profession, different perspectives. Do they manage to capture every single range of the trans and nonbinary experience? Of course not, that's impossible. But they manage to capture their own unique story to share it with us, and isn't that just marvelous?
I had never read a comic anthology before, and I'm in love with collaborative effort that this must've taken. It manages to stay coherent while respecting each artist's style.
I did have some trouble with the proper reading order in some panels, but that is not uncommon for me, so that's probably just a me thing.
I do hope that this book makes its way to people who might need it (and those who don't as well). I'd love to see it translated to Spanish.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read this fantastic ARC.

I'm writing this review as a cis woman, I feel like that is important to say because this graphic novel isn't about my lived experience, and yet I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

This graphic novel is an anthology of comic from trans and nonbinary artists that explains their experiences with dysphoria, discovery, coming out, confusion, and acceptance of who they are. I found this extremely beautiful and touching. I loved that there was a plethora of gender identities and experiences represented.

Each art style was unique to each author, and that was truly symbolic of how gender is experienced by each person. After reading this, it does make me questions my feelings related to gender and how it effects my life and how people percieve me.

I have to give this book 5 stars because it was a joy to experience.

This book is so wonderful, and so beautiful
I truly love seeing the different, artistic styles, the different ways of communicating, the self reflection, and being able to see inside someone’s head in a creative way that gives voice to the struggles, and the very real dangers of the lack of trans, visibility, and care in this country and in the world
This comic book compilation is not only gorgeous, it humanizes trans people in a way that is relatable, and also incredibly emotional. The stories leap off the page.
I would love to have a copy of this in my classroom, especially as a book like this is more accessible to people who are not able to sit down and read a full novel either do to attention issues or anxiety.